The Art of Sleeping

Civilizing Oh Sehun

“Haebin, can we eat some more?” Sehun looked at her with his eager eyes. Seoul was amazing; there were Seoul many things one could do here! Pun intended. “No? How about…what about that box in your living room? You turned it on-“

“Sehun, aren’t you tired?”

He raised an eyebrow and scratched his head. “Not really? I mean after eating all of that stuff, I feel very alive.” He said. “We can’t do anything?” He frowned.

Haebin nodded and walked away from her bedroom in defeat. “Um, since you’re hungry…” She dug through the cabinets in the kitchen and found a bag of chips wedged in-between a few pouches of hot pepper flakes. Holy , I’m never going to run out of pepper flakes! She wrinkled her nose. “She sends me all this stuff as if I live with an entire village,” She mumbled.

“Huh?”

A minute didn’t even pass yet but by the time Haebin turned around, the merman was balls deep in a bag of shrimp chips- okay not balls deep but you know what I mean. He had a fistful of chips in one hand and crumbs falling off his face. She closed the wooden cabinet doors with a bang. “I wasn’t living with an entire village before but I am now.”

“What do you mean?”

Haebin reached for the empty bag of chips, it was party sized by the way, and looked inside just to see the shiny foil reflecting back. “Dude, you eat like a truck!”

“Do trucks eat a lot?”

“Wow…”

 

---

Yeah, you know what? If I can’t tire him out physically, I’ll do it mentally! Haebin clapped her palms together and sat in front of the TV.

“You’re blocking the view!”

Haebin chuckled and shook her head. “First of all, I am the view.”

“Uh…?”

“Listen Sehun, we’re going to play a game; you ask me a question and I’ll answer it- and then I’ll do the same to you. Alright?”

Sehun agreed. “That seems easy, do I go first?”

“Yeah,”

“Okay, your turn.”

“What?”

“I just asked a question, I asked if I went first…”

Haebin put covered her face with her hands. Oh, my God. “F-Fine, my question is what do you do all day in the sea? When you were still there…”

“I swam.”

“Tell me about your day, if you were still in the ocean right now, what would your daily routine be? What do you guys do there every day?” She clarified.

“I rest on top of giant clams,” Sehun began. He leaned over. “I found a great spot that none of the others know about,” He grinned with pride. “I get tired from swimming all day so when I get a chance, I lay on top of giant clams. It’s comfortable.”

“Then?”

“I start my day when the,” He pointed to the ceiling. “Sometimes the top of the ocean gets bright and that makes me want to play and swim. I eat a lot of seaweed, sometimes fish, and shrimps!”

“Then?”

“Ah! I play with my sea animal friends; I know a crab named Jin. He’s nice.”

Haebin suddenly felt as if she understood everything. “No wonder you came here! There’s absolutely nothing to do in the water!”

“No! That’s not why!”

“So why did you come here?”

“About a month ago I think,” He counted his fingers. “It was probably at that time…” He cleared his throat. “There is a legendary mermaid named Cheong amongst us, they say she left the waters for a human and adapted to land. She fell in love here and she became happy.”

“C-Cheong?” Oh my gosh, Legend of the Blue Sea is based on a true story? What is this sorcery?

“Yep, her name is Sim Cheong. She left and came back from time to time, raving about her life away from the sea. Then one day she said she would leave again and that the next time she returns it would be her last. It meant that she gave up her life as a mermaid and chose to live on land for good!”

Haebin stared at him. Do you cry pearls? Should I ask him? Is that a weird thing to ask?

Sehun sighed. “There was a huge ruckus about it! The elders had mixed feelings about it, some believed her and some thought it was absurd! I thought it was cool!” He exclaimed.

H-His heart! Is it going to stop beating if no one loves him? Haebin gawked.

“There was something different about her, Cheong was glowing! She was happy! Her cheeks were vibrant and her tail skipped through the waters.” Sehun smiled. “I wanted to be like her.”

“Did she come here because of a man? She fell in love, right?”

“How did you know?”

Haebin pointed to the box behind her. “There are shows with stories like that,”

“I hope I fall in love too,” He looked down at his knees. “And maybe I won’t have to swim around in boredom for the rest of my life.”

Haebin sprawled herself out on the floor. “Yea,” She mumbled. “Me too,” What if no one likes him and he- No, don’t think like that… If Baekhyun has an “ex-girlfriend”, anything in this world is possible.

 

“Haebin, it’s my turn to ask you a-“

ZzzZzzZZzzzZ…Zzzzz...zzz…zzz

“Oh?” He blinked a few times in disbelief. Sehun waved his hands over her face. “Ah, she’s sleeping,” He laid on the floor next to her. So humans just lay like this for a chunk of their day? He scrunched his face up and rolled around. “Ouch,” He whispered.

 

Sehun sat up and held his back. “Haebin, you’re going to get hurt if you sleep like that!”

zZz..zz..z…zzz…zZ…z..

“B-Bed!” He pointed to her room. “Haebin let me sleep there before and it was really nice!” Sehun gently slid his arms under her and lifted her up. He walked down the hall and quietly slipped into her room. He lowered her onto her bed and gasped when she shifted all of her weight onto his arms. “Oh dear,” He slowly pulled away when Haebin turned over with her elbow digging onto his.

“Mmm…”

Sehun winced and opened his mouth wide. “A-Arm!” He whispered. “Forgive me I have sinned!” He whimpered. "H-Haebin, let me go!"

With a swift move, he gave Haebin a light shove before pulling his limbs out. The merman hugged his knees and rocked back and forth before bumping into her coffee table. “Gack!”

Haebin tossed over once again and snored even louder.

Sehun looked at her and couldn’t help but laugh. “You slept so well,” He gratefully gazed at the human who took him in. “Have a nice sleep, Haebin.”


[a/n]: 03/17/17 - Advertised!

Comments are much appreciated! :D