Amour

Civilizing Oh Sehun

"You know...I never thought I'd ever say this but- I miss Haebin." Baekhyun took a swing of his soju and sighed heavily. "Every time we go over to her house she's either sleeping or at work."

Chanyeol nodded. "And Sehun's been doing so much to support her," He mumbled. "What are we doing with our lives?"

"We're side characters, Chanyeol, our lives don't matter." Baekhyun shrugged. "I hope they're okay."

"Why wouldn't they be?"

Baekhyun kicked at the sand. "Well think about it, Haebin's been doing some hardcore for the past six weeks and she probably doesn't have time for anything but work." He said. "I hope the internship hasn't taken a toll on their relationship, they were doing pretty good, no?"

"Eh! Kind of," He said. "But Baek, do you really think they're going to start liking each-"

"What do you mean? They already like each other!"

"We're 22 chapters in and I've given up hope, they haven't kissed or anything!"

Baekhyun smacked the lustful giant. "Yah!" He snapped. "D-Does every couple in love have to do the nasty and make out?" He rolled his eyes. "Haebin loves Sehun by making sure he's comfortable on land. She takes everything she does in consideration so that he isn't affected. She protects him from the public and shields him from the rain. She goes swimming with him even if she's not too fond of the water. That's love!"

Chanyeol held his hands up. "A-Alright,"

"Sehun loves Haebin by making sure she sleeps in a bed after a long day of work. He cares for her and doesn't complain when she's extra needy- he understands her, Chanyeol! Sehun, the merman, understands her! He makes sure she is happy and content after all her coworkers tear her apart for all her mistakes as an intern. He learned how to cook for her, imagine how nervous he must've been when he first tried to do it. He has to stay away from water to begin with but now he's putting himself in front of the stove where there are boiling pots of it?! If that's not love, what is?"

Chanyeol twitched his eye a few times as he listened to Baekhyun's rant. "W-Whoa, how come you're so fired up over nothing?" He asked. "I-It's not a big deal bro, we can go for 40 chapters-" He looked at him and furrowed his brows. "Hey, how did you know about Sehun and what he's been doing-"

"You didn't read the last chapter, did you?"

"Oh." 

Baekhyun cracked open another bottle of soju and took a huge gulp of it. He reached into the plastic black bag beside him and pulled out a package of dried squid. "Anyway, it's a good thing that we're out here tonight." He leaned over. "Would it be offensive to eat this stuff in front of a merman?"

Chanyeol brushed it off. "Sehun doesn't care, he's pretty chill about it." He eyed the shorter. "Wait, why is it good that we're out here?"

Baekhyun scoffed. "Come on bro! The entire crew is out here with us," He pointed at the staff who stood around the set and at you, the audience. "And the title is Amour?" He got real close to Chanyeol's face. "Do you even know what that means?" 

"What?"

"Amour means love in French, and French is the language of love." He whispered. "It's happening...the love tag on this fanfic is finally going into effect!" 

Chanyeol gasped. "Really?" He turned around and scanned the area with his gigantic eyeballs. "Oh! I see some people over there!" Then he jumped up and slapped a hand over his mouth. "Oh my God, some guy just jumped into the water-" 

"That's Sehun, you idiot." 

"Oh."

"I'm kidding, I have no idea who that is."

"Baekhyun!!!"

Baekhyun put a finger on his chin and sassily placed a hand on his hip. "Huh, I wonder what Haebin and Sehun are up to..."

 

*-*-*-*

Haebin and Sehun sat in the sand and took in the moonlight down the shore. 

"Sehun, if I get this job...I'll come home everyday at the same time. I won't have to work such long hours anymore and they won't be able to ask me to do odd tasks." Haebin hugged her knees. "We'll spend more time together, and I won't forget if you tucked me into bed or not."

Sehun looked at her. "Why are you worrying?"

"I'm not,"

"You are," The Merman turned to her. "It's written all over your face, what's wrong?"

"I just..." Haebin frowned. "I feel a bit guilty," She admitted.

"Why?"

"You're doing so much for me and I had no idea." Haebin said softly. "You've been taking care of me and I've been letting work consume me," She looked out into the ocean. "We haven't been here in almost two months and it only just occured to me." She said. "We used to go every week. I'm afraid that I'm holding you back from doing the things you want to do."

Sehun shook his head. "I'm doing this because I want to, silly." He bumped his forehead with hers playfully. "Don't be sad, Haebin, you've done nothing wrong. You've only worked hard to get what you want. You've come a long way- you used to be that girl who applied to dozens and dozens of jobs out of desperateness and look what you're doing now! You're working as an intern under a company that rejected hundreds of applicants." He smiled. "I'm very proud of you, Haebin, and I'm prideful to be able to say that I know someone like you." 

"You could be doing so much more," She mumbled. "You could be exploring the city, you could be at museums, you could..." Haebin took a breath. "You don't have to stay here for me, Sehun, I'll be fine. You can do what you wanted to do, there must've been so much you wanted to see. There must've been a reason for you to come to Seoul."

"I came to Seoul to get out of the ocean and the moment I came here, that's what I did; I stepped out of the ocean." Sehun looked at her. "I think it was fate that I met you. I could've ended up at some weird place but I was able to meet you. I was lucky enough to end up on your doorstep. I was lucky enough to meet a girl who reached her hand out to me despite the fact that I'm not human." 

"Sehun,"

He held her hand reassuringly. "Museums? Amusement parks? Going to the movies?" Sehun didn't care too much for them. "We can do all that later, when you're an editor with normal hours. When you're no longer stressed and living off 4 hours of sleep. When you're settled down and happy. I can wait, Haebin. As long as you're willing to go on swims with me every now and then."

Haebin didn't know what she was waiting for. She took her jacket off and stood up. She held her hand out. "Let's go, Sehun, explore the ocean with me." 

Sehun stared at her. "Is that enough?" He asked. "The ocean's temperature is a bit cold today,"

She stood there and nodded. Haebin was only wearing a pair of shorts and a bikini top; and it was true that the water was a bit cooler today but she had no doubts about jumping in. "You'll keep me warm, like you always do." 

He grabbed her hand and led the way. "Come on, we can catch the sunrise."

 

And they did. 

 

Sehun was right, the water was crisp and cold. They poked their heads out and into the surface when the sun began to rise. The Merman held her close to him and with his body heat, he kept her warm. "Whoa," He whispered.

Haebin gazed at him and smiled. "See? The ocean is fascinating, isn't it?" She asked. "Every time you bring me here, I only wonder how you could ever leave a place as beautiful as this. I'd love to call this place home,"

"Haebin," Sehun had an arm wrapped around her torso and another holding her hand. "I have to tell you something..."

"What is it?"

"Honestly, every time we went back to the ocean for a swim, I felt different. The water seemed less and less like home, it felt more and more foriegn everytime I went in. I know my days as a merman are limited, very limited."

Haebin didn't understand. "Why would they be limited?"

"Because when I look at you, I'm home." Sehun said. "I'm going to give up my tail one of these days because the place I once lived in and felt safe and secure in no longer appeals to me." 

"Sehun..."

"But when you're with me and when we hold hands like this..." Sehun took their interwined hands out of the water. "I feel warm and cozy on the inside. My heart flutters and I long to be human more and more." He whispered. "I've been wanting to tell you about my feelings for a few weeks now but I didn't-"

Haebin placed her hands on his broad shoulders and planted a kiss on his lip. She pulled away and gasped, she was surprised herself at what she did. "S-Sehun, I...I didn't mean to-"

The merman closed the space inbetween them and kissed her as the sun rose behind them beautifully and magnificently. 

 

"Can you do that again?"

And he did.

 

Sehun held her cheeks tenderly and kissed her lips with his.

"I forgot to say it but," He whispered. "I think like you, Haebin." 


[an]: comments are much appreciated!