5:19

5:19

4:45 PM.

Minwoo glanced at his watch again to reconfirm the time and tucked it underneath his long sleeved shirt. He looked out his office window; the street outside was busy again, more than ever. People passed by each other, hurrying towards their destinations. Nobody really cared for anyone. Minwoo sighed at the scene and massaged his nape, feeling the muscles contract. He cringed as pain shot through his veins; he was leaning in too much that day and staring at his computer screen more than usual. This was supposed to happen. What did Kate te-

Minwoo shook his head, cleared it from any more thoughts coming into him in successions. He picked up his phone from his table, snatched his attache case from his chair, and hurriedly left his office. He barely waved to everyone else, all he was thinking off was to escape the office, lest he think of her again.

When he got to the lobby, he slowed down a bit, feeling pain on his muscles again, here and there, he couldn't even point to what part of his body anymore. He's been working too hard these days he must've finished all reports even for next year. He's not usually like this, but what with the current situation...

Minwoo shook his head again, and berated himself for thinking over and over and over again of things he should start to forget. He slowly made his way out of the office, then he waved to people he knew, and out into the sunlight and the busy bussle of the street infront of his office. He didn't bring his car today, because his fiancee Amy decided to walk to their offices that day. Just random thinking, she said. He'd usually argue about it, but these days, he just let everything slide. He's not that kind of person but, there are things he's just...too weak to fight for right now.

He crossed the street and the next one, he looked around and saw that almost everyone's outside at the moment; probably because office hours is officially over. He moved through the crowd without much thought and crossed another street, he the third one and stopped.

He looked at the pedestrian crossing like it was a ghost from his past. He could feel his blood slowly draining from his face as he stared at the white lines marked on the street for people to safely cross. He couldn't see anything else but that, even if there were so many people crossing it now. He tried to clear his thoughts before more came, but it was all too late. They were all there.

He could see her as she stood at the other side of the lane. Sunglasses perched on top of her nose, her hair loose, following the slow breeze of the wind. She had her favorite purple trench coat, and her boots. He was trying to block her from his view as Amy talked on and on and on about something he couldn't quite catch. 

Amy was laughing.

He laughed, not knowing why he was laughing.

Kate was ready to cross. 

Minwoo stared, ignoring more of Amy's talk.

Kate looked up and saw him, them. She stopped on her tracks, eyes wide and slightly seen on her lightly colored shades. 

Minwoo shook his head towards her, eyes wide with shock.

'Minwoo? No? Then we'd go somewhere else then!' Amy said giggling. Minwoo looked at her startled and nodded. Amy goes back to telling her story, whatever it was.

Kate walked towards them, crossing the street.

He could smell her scent even from that distance. He could feel the warmth of her skin, the softness, the realness. He could sense her emotions, chaotic, conflicted, hurt.

She's almost right beside him now.

She's right beside him now.

Minwoo's breath literally stops as Kate's warmth enveloped him like an embrace he longed for for so long. He reached for her hands immediately, squeezing it, loving the feel of it on his, loving the way it still fit his perfectly, because that's where it's meant to be. He let's go immediately, not glancing at Kate even once, afraid that if he did, he will break and run towards her, as he very well knows, waiting arms. 

'Minwoo? Are you crying?'

Amy's little voice startled him yet again, and he looked at her questioningly. She reached out for his face and wiped it. It was only then he realized he was crying. Silently. Broken, even if he tried not to be.

'I'm not, a bug must've gone in.'

Amy laughed at this, 'a bug?' she shook her head and wipes more of his tears, he shook his head and wiped his tears on his own. Amy smiled wide and thugged his hands as they make their turn towards the next street.

He took out his phone and composed a message. One he wished he would never ever send out.

'Kate, I'm so sorry. I love you, goodbye.'

He willed his fingers to press send and closed his eyes. One tiny tear falls, but he ignores it. There was no way he can change what is done. He has to stop hurting Kate, he has to let her go. Even if it means suffering forever for it.

'I'm so weak Kate, I'm sorry. I wish I could do so much more for you.' Minwoo muttered as he turned away from the pedestrian lane and into another street. He crossed a different pedestrian lane and into a street full of restaurants. He glanced to the windows and saw people happily eating their early dinners, he smiled despite the sadness eating him inside.

'It's Strawberry Shortcake Day!'

Minwoo stopped on his tracks, eyes about to bulge from his sockets as his hands trailed on his pants and into his pocket, picking up his phone. He raised it on eye level and saw that an alarm just went off.

5:15 PM.

'It's Strawberry Shortcake Day!'

Kate's sweet voice sounded from his phone and echoed into his ears. He could feel his eyes burning as he saw the picture on his phone- of Kate smiling happily at him, her eyes bright and shining with love- and the text written below it, 'Minwoo-yah, don't forget the cake!'

'It's Strawberry Shortcake Day!'

Minwoo bit his lower lip and pressed the stop button on his phone. He kept it inside his pants pocket again and proceeded walking on the street, blinked rapidly, trying very hard not to cry. He will not be weak again for this. He was near the next turn when he saw, to his utter disappointment, the very Cake shop he buys the Strawberry Shortcake Kate wanted. He willed himself to walk further, but he couldn't. He walked towards it.

People where lining up on the counter paying their purchase, some were eating their desserts at one side, laughing, talking, being happy. There were some kids running around, and some people still looking at the cakes in one corner, trying to choose which one to buy. 

He blinked.

Twice.

Thrice.

He could feel his eyes watering again. He looked at his watch again.

5:19 PM.

She was right on the dot.

He looked back at the shop's window and felt his heart constricting.

There was Kate, with her friend Nerie, choosing a cake from one of the fridge at one corner. She was still in the clothes earlier that morning, her face looked stress and tired, but still the beautiful girl he remembered her to be. The shades were off her eyes, and he could see that they were puffy and sad. 

Minwoo sighed, he could feel his heart constricting at the thought of Kate hurting because of him. 

Why must you be weak Lee Minwoo?

Why can't you fight for her?

'Because you can't.' Minwoo muttered to himself, and then blinked back the tears threatening to fall. He continously watched Kate picking up a cake. 

'It's Strawberry Shortcake Day!'

'Please choose strawberry shortcake, please choose strawberry shortcake.' Minwoo muttered under his breath, and almost pressed himself on the shop's window. Kate tilted her head in a wondering way, like she always did when she's thinking.

Kate opened the fridge and reached out for a cake inside it. Minwoo could barely see what it was.

'Please, please. Choose strawberry shortcake.'

Kate raised her hands and walked towards the counter. He still couldn't see what she's going to buy, due to the many people gathered around the counter. He waited, eyes almost red from staring. The kids infront of Kate moved.

He saw it.

Tiny, hot tears fell down his cheeks, freely. He ignored them.

It was strawberry shortcake.

Without fail.

Kate looked at it with sadness in her eyes, but she smiled at it just the same. She handed the lady at the counter some money while the lady placed the cake on a box and wrapped it up for her. Kate took the cake and proceeded to where Nerie stood. They got out of the shop, Minwoo took a step back and hid himself from them, he wiped his face hastily.

'Nerie-yah, do you think you can sleepover tonight?' He heard Kate's voice from behind him, he slowly took a peak and saw that Kate and Nerie's back was toward him and he couldn't see both their expressions.

Nerie tilted her head, 'Why?' came her soft voice.

Kate was silent for a bit then she looked down, Minwoo saw her face in profile, she looked sad, 'It's Strawberry Shortcake day.' she said her eyes still downcast. Minwoo's heart wanted to burst because of this.

Nerie turned her face towards Kate, and Minwoo saw her soft smile towards Kate, 'Aww. Alright I would. Except I don't really eat Strawberry Shortcake.' Nerie said her voice honest, as she held onto Kate's shoulders.

Kate wrinkled her nose and pouted, Minwoo tried hard not to reach out for her, 'You . I'll go buy you Blueberry then.' She said as she hit Nerie's shoulders. 

Nerie looked at Kate blankly. Kate rolled her eyes.

'Fine, and coffee jelly too!' She said, waved her hand not full of cake and then marched back to the Cake Shop. Minwoo smiled despite himself.

Nerie positively smiled wide and ran after Kate blurting, 'Okay, now, can I live in your house forever?'

Kate held the door for her, 'Shut up. Let's get your cake and coffee.' She said as she reached out for Nerie's arms and then dragged her towards the fridge again.

Nerie took Kate's arms instead and dragged her to the fridge, 'You rock Kate, totally.' She said and grinned widely, Kate rolled her eyes again.

Minwoo watched both girls taking another Cake from the fridge and then to the counter and ordering two coffees. He moved a bit towards the door-he noticed how several people looked at him weirdly and smiled at them, as if he was waiting for someone from the inside (which was true, but, well), he was still hidden from view though, thanks to the promotional tarpaulins outside the shop. Several minutes later, both girls got out and Minwoo turned around to leave, afraid that one of the girls, or worse, both, would notice him. He stole one last glance at Kate and then hurriedly went his way. He was almost rounding a corner when his phone vibrated alerting him of a received text. He looked at it and smiled sadly, a tear slid down on his cheeks.

'Happy Strawberry Shortcake Day Minwoo. I saw you. Thank you for just being there. I love you so much it hurts, but...this is really goodbye, I guess. Be strong. I will miss you. Take care always.'

He stopped from his tracks and took one last look at the shop again, willing for Kate to still be near, just one last look...just one last look.

Kate was there, Nerie must've been back inside the cake shop, for she stood there alone. She looked at him, a sad smile on her lips, her phone in hand. 

Minwoo raised his phone and waved, his heart about to burst, his feet about to move on its own, only he stopped both from happening, and it all felt like dying to him. He could hear his mind as it spoke to him, 'You are weak Lee Minwoo.' More tears slid from his eyes, down to his cheeks.

Kate looked at him for a bit, a sad smile still played on her lips and mouthed the three words she never forgets to tell him.

'I love you.'

Minwoo bit his lower lip and nodded. He raised his right hand towards his chest and mouthed right back.

'I love you too.'

Nerie came out of the Cake shop, raising her umbrella, which she seemed to have forgotten inside and then grinned at Kate. Kate looked away from Minwoo and returned her attention to Nerie as she smiled and reached for her friend's arm and then together, they walked away. Kate made one last glance towards him and nodded, sad smile on her face still. Minwoo smiled right back and willed himself to look at them as they walked side by side, away from him, then crossed the other street and then...they were gone.

She was gone, from his life.

Forever.

Goodbye.