Leaving Duties Behind?

Vesalis

“Your majesty the king of Luxor has arrived to meet you.” Changmin states surprising the queen who was sat at her desk reflecting on the meeting that had just taken place with her soldiers.

 

“Has he told you why he has come?” The queen questioned to which Changmin shook his head.

 

“No he says it is a pressing matter.”

 

“Bring him in.” With that Changmin closed the door to the king to the queen’s quarters, reasons of his visit were clouding the queen’s head as she stared at the door waiting for the king to enter.

 

“I apologise for the sudden visit.” The king said as the door closed behind him, he looked as gracious as ever as he made his way over to the seat opposite the queen and sat down.

 

“To what do I owe this visit, I doubt it’s for a friendly chat.” The queen asked looking over at the king who was staring at the map the queen had been drawing on, there were various areas marked, different radiuses for her soldiers to explore. It seemed to be fruitless search at this point

 

“I have information which can be of aid to your kingdom and this war.” The king spoke looking at the queen to judge her reaction, being part of royal politics the queen knew how to keep a poker face, a trait she had passed on to her daughters.

 

“What is the price of this information?” The queen questioned watching as the king allowed a small smirk to show.

 

“Quite simple actually, you and the other three kingdoms shall fight alongside my army and end this war.” The queen couldn’t help but raise an eyebrow that was truly a simple task; they would all come together and defeat the evil.

 

“And how come you require me to talk to the other three kingdoms in your place?” The queen questioned it was an unspoken agreement between the five kingdoms they would aid each other if they were threatened, so what was happening through the king of Luxors mind confused the queen further.

 

“Reasons of prices are not to be disclosed but I can assure you it is for the good nature of all kingdoms that you are the one to do this task.” The king stated leaving the room in a deafening silence as the queen weighed whether the king was to be trusted.

 

“As long as it is in the good nature of all kingdoms I shall agree.” The queen said to which the king simply nodded in acknowledgement as he began to fish through his robes.

 

“There was a prophecy written centuries ago by a mage, nobody truly knows who it is for however it was marked off by a symbol.” The king stated handing a scroll from his robes to the queen, she took the scroll and opened it and right there at the bottom of the page was an insignia she had nearly forgotten.

 

“The old Kingdom of Olbas crest.” The queen muttered running a hand over the dated crest, a crest so dated that even the history books do not show this crest anymore.

 

“This is from the time the kingdom was referred to as Celestina.” The king stated watching as the queen read the prophecy intently her brows furrowing as she took in every word attempting to decipher it.

 

“What do you think this could mean?”

 

“War.” Was the simple answer the king could give, it was the only answer the king could give.

 

 

“There can’t be peace without war.” Joy said to Yeri who shook her head at the notion as they continued their walk up, the air was much thinner up however the duo seemed to not notice as their talking never ceased from the morning. Irene was just glad they weren’t running after each other, they were at a dangerous height and she’d rather have everyone safe.

 

“If we bring an end to war then peace can strive.” Yeri said defiantly walking past Joy and next to Irene who laughed as she saw Joy glare at Yeri who was attempting to avoid her.

 

“You can run away from me but you’ll still be able to hear me.” Joy said causing Yeri to run up to Seulgi who was chuckling.

 

“It’s true you know she can end up speaking in your head.” Seulgi commented causing Yeri to gasp is there really no privacy from these guys Yeri thought crossing her arms over her chest glaring back at a smirking Joy.

 

“I hate magic.” Yeri muttered walking in front of everyone.

 

“Do you want to tell her that’s past my abilities only you can do that?” Joy questioned causing Irene to stare at Seulgi she truly couldn’t be a nobody, could she? Irene thought looking up at the taller girl who seemed to be more confusing to her the more time they spent together. Seulgi just laughed waving off Joys question.

 

“You can a bit more now.” Seulgi replied causing Joy to laugh and Yeri to turn back and glare at the trio.

 

“Come on slow pokes.” Yeri said tapping her foot impatiently.

 

“I’d say we were pretty fast.” Seulgi said jumping over a boulder and helping the other three, taking out a sword Seulgi moved the bushes away to reveal a cave.

 

“Wow.” Yeri said as she followed Seulgi in to the cave, it was dark but with a flick of her fingers Joy lit up the torches at the side with fire. Engravings were plastered all over the room, Irene stared at them attempting to understand them, some were simply pictures others were what she presumed were letters in a foreign language that she had encountered in the library.

 

In the middle lay a bank of water where Wendy’s body was moving to, Seulgi took a knife out of her pocket and slit her hand without a wince it seemed second nature to the girl. Putting a hand over the shimmering blue water she allowed the blood to drop in and mix with the water, once the blood had mixed in Seulgi maneuvered Wendy’s body to submerge within the water.

 

“What’s happening?” Irene questioned as she watched the scene unfold.

 

“This is a fabled bank of water from centuries ago sentenced with properties of healing by the first of our kind, it can bring Wendy out of the curse as well as restore missed memories it is a truly powerful piece of sorcery, therefore it can only be activated by someone with Seulgi’s rank.” Joy replied watching on in interest as the water began to bubble and steam, Irene looked over at Seulgi who was looking at the process intently Seulgi’s rank? What was it? Irene thought to herself.

 

Wendy’s body floated out of the body of water and carefully placed to the side, the girl was completely dry as she lay there as everyone stared at her. Seulgi carefully opened Wendy’s mouth and put her still bleeding hand over her. Carefully she allowed a few drops to enter in an instant Wendy’s eyes opened and the girl shot up straight, her breathing felt labored causing her to wheeze.

 

“It’s alright Wendy we’re right here by your side.” Irene whispered calming the younger girl down. “Deep breaths remember inhale…exhale…inhale..” Wendy began to take control of her breathing as she looked around; Yeri was on her other side holding her hand tears glistening in her eyes as she looked at Wendy with one of the biggest smiles she had shown since her father died. However Wendy looked on in confusion at the two strangers with red eyes.

 

“The enemy.” Wendy chocked out her voice croaky, as she hadn’t used it in awhile, Seulgi took a flask from her bag and took the water from the bed of water and offered it to Wendy who looked at the water skeptically.

 

“They’re not the enemy they’ve saved our lives.” Yeri said, Wendy looked at the two girls and assessed them, they didn’t look threatening but looks could be deceiving.

 

“Why?” Wendy questioned taking the flask of water; hurt more than she would care to admit as well as her head, but if Yeri and Irene trusted them then there would be no harm in also giving them some of her trust.

 

“You needed saving.” Was Seulgi’s response, nothing more nothing less it was the whole truth.

 

“That’s it?” Wendy seemed skeptical as she looked at the two girls.

 

“Seulgi has a bit of a hero complex and I’m just here for the ride.” Joy replied causing them to laugh except Wendy who clenched her eyes shut.

 

“You should get some rest the nightmares you’ve dreamed of will disappear instead they’ll be replaced with the conversations you’re brain has stored since you’ve been under the curse.” Wendy nodded her head and lay down on the ground this time using Irene’s lap as a cushion.

 

“If you need anything just tell me alright.” Irene said to Wendy who nodded her head and fell back asleep.

 

“What do we do now?” Joy questioned as she leaned against the wall.

 

“Our journey ends here I guess; we’ll you back to your kingdom after this.” Seulgi replied causing Irene and Yeri to look at her in surprise, they had momentarily forgotten this journey would end and so would their time together.

 

“So we won’t see you again?” Yeri questioned her voice suddenly very small causing everyone to look at her in sadness.

 

“I don’t think you will.” Seulgi replied looking down suddenly feeling selfish, selfish enough that she wanted their journey together to continue, no Seulgi you can’t they have a kingdom to return to… a family.

 

“Mother, Suho and the whole kingdom must be out looking for us.” Irene said causing Yeri to frown deeper.

 

“We go home to a place where we think is safe and then get attacked once again?” Yeri questioned stunning Irene.

 

“Yeri please we have a duty to complete.” Irene said hoping her sister wouldn’t forget how important their presence could be to the people of the kingdom and her family.

 

“We’ll go home and then get locked away again, what if Seulgi isn’t there to save us this time, we’re not safe if those beasts are still out there.” Yeri stated silencing Irene and the rest of the group, her words rang true to them but Irene’s princess conflict was difficult to throw away her mother had taught her, her duties of staying there to give peace to the civilians was the most important duty she had.

 

“Our duties are first and foremost the most important.” Irene said looking over at Yeri who turned her back to her.

 

“You seem to have broken that rule to befriend Seulgi, a member of the enemy. Is it okay for you to break the rules when they fit your interests?” Yeri questioned, Irene hung her head low suddenly feeling ashamed of herself for disobeying the kingdoms laws. “That’s treason and we both know if mother knew of this she would put her kingdom first because she must carry her duties as a queen. Is she right to put her duties first as queen? Or should she protect her family for befriending someone who is part of the enemy but not harmful?” They sat there in a tense silence nobody uttering a word only when Wendy woke up did Irene say something.

 

“What do you believe we should do?” Irene questioned helping Wendy sit up, Seulgi handed Wendy another flask of water, Wendy took it with gratitude her smile making Seulgi happy, she remembers everything that happened and all that occurred in the journey Seulgi thought to herself glad that the myths of the water were true.

 

“I want you to follow your heart just like you did when you befriended Seulgi.” Yeri replied, Irene looked at the younger in surprise and confusion causing Yeri to expand her explanation. “Befriending Seulgi was one of the best decisions you’ve made that’s because you followed your heart, you saved all of us so I want you to follow your heart, are you going to follow your duties of a princess or are you going to protect all of us.” Irene sat in silence and weighed her options her duties of being a princess would mean that she would be able to do nothing in this war. She wouldn’t be able to protect anybody out here she had her friends by her side, no matter how little she knew of them there was one thing she knew for sure and that was they’d have her back and she’d have theirs. Father taught me the biggest asset in a group to defeat an evil would be trust and we have that Irene thought glancing at the girls.

 

“Are you willing to risk your lives to put an end to your own kind?” Irene questioned looking at Seulgi and Joy who resolutely nodded their heads.

 

“They aren’t humane any longer they murder as if it’s as easy as breathing.” Joy said to which Seulgi agreed. Irene looked over to Wendy who looked around the cave in interest.

 

“I’m always by your side you know that.” Wendy replied causing a smile to stretch on Irene’s face as she looked over at Yeri who now turned around to look her older sister.

 

“I believe in you.” Yeri said giving Irene the strength she needed to make the decision that could potentially kill them.

 

“We end the reign of Vesalis.” Irene stated causing the other girls to cheer, the princess sat there feeling relief wash over her, it was a tireless path she walked on now but she knew leaving her princess duties behind was what she required to protect those closest to her and she would do everything she could to protect all of those she possibly could. After all a true princess isn’t made by sitting in a tower waiting for a revolution to happen it’s about going our there and joining it, making sure I make a difference Irene thought to herself as she sat there thinking of what they were to do next.