The Calm Before The Storm

DEJAVU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

                Yoona sigh as she step down at the air port. This is her hometown. She believed she will have a better life here wih her grandmother and her unborn child. She saw a taxi driver comes to approach her.

                “Where to Miss?” the old man asked with a warm smile.

                “Seogwipo please, I am gonna drop by at the market first, my grandmother is there….” She spoke and followed the driver into his taxi.

                Upon reaching the market, Yoona take her bag and begin walking to where her grandmother is. She can see her talking to a woman as she kept bargaining of the price for the vegetable. She looks fragile and tired, yet she still plastered her best smile to her customers.

                “Aigoo…why are you bargaining with an old woman like me…If I am selling it with low price, how am I gonna live if it you are being like this to me? ” she keep talking as her hand is busy filling the vegetables into the plastic bag. Yoona knew, eventually she will give in. She knew how her grandmother is such a kind hearted person and her customers always loved her though sometimes, Yoona felt like they were taking advantages of her.

                Yoona smiled and she slowly approached the old woman and interrupted her conversation with her customer “Halmeoni..give me a bag of this vegetable please…”

                “Neh..wait a minu-….Yoona? Oh my baby is here!” the old woman can’t hide her excitement as she quickly moved to embrace the granddaughter. Yoona laughed with her grandmother and she patted on her back.

                “I am here now halmeoni and I miss you so much…”

                “I miss you too baby, you are getting prettier too…” she touched Yoona’s cheek with loving gestures.  “Aigoo, I am sorry…this is my granddaughter, isn’t she pretty?” she spoke to the customer that’s still waiting there and Yoona can only chuckled.

                “Yes, you have a very beautiful granddaughter…” the woman complimented.

                “She looked like me when I was young…” her grandmother laughed and she put extra vegetables into the plastic bag for the woman.

                “Thank you for this..” the woman bow right after she paid for the vegetables and left Yoona alone with her grandmother.

                “Aigoo, am I dreaming, my baby is back for real!” she hugged Yoona’s once again and Yoona can only smile. She can see the excitement on her grandmother’s face. Eventhough she’s old but she still looked beautiful. Well, she inherited her grandmother’s beauty after all. It is the truth.

***

                That night, after dinner, Yoona was sleeping on her grandmother’s lap. “I’ve been missing you so much when I was in Seoul…” she spoke as she played with the wrinkled fingers of her grandmother.

                “How many days you will be here?” Grandmother asked as she continued to look at the granddaughter’s face. She has been missing Yoona all this time and she wanted to continue staring at her face while she is here.

                “I am staying here with you, I am not going anywhere…” she answered.

                “What about your job in Seoul?” the grandmother continued to ask without even bothering and she thought Yoona was joking.

                “I quit already halmeoni…now, I am gonna help you selling the vegetable at the market…”

                The grandmother stopped as she stared into her granddaughter eyes. “Did something happen to you?” she asked. She can sense there’s something wrong with the granddaughter. She quit her job? After all these years, she quit. Yoona is known as a devoted kind of girl. She loved her job no matter what it is and her grandmother also knew Yoona’s employer’s quite well. He used to visit their house when he came to Jeju Island for a meeting.

                “Nothing happen…I am perfectly fine...” Yoona tried to smile. She is trying to hide the truth from her grandmother. She doesn’t want her grandmother to worry about her.

                “Aegi-yah…I am your grandmother, you don’t have to be afraid…you can tell me..”

                Yoona sighed as she woke up from her sleep. “Halmeoni I am going to tell you something and I hope you are not mad at me…” she showed her puppy eyes and silently begging for forgieveness

                “What is it?” her grandmother asked with a smile. She touched Yoona’s cheek and looking at her granddaughter’s chubby cheek. Yoona does look different this time, she looked like she gained some weight!

                 Yoona hold onto her grandmother’s hand before she spoke “Wait a minute, I am going to go and take something....” she walked into her room and soon, she came out with a book in her hand.

                “Halmeoni, this is what I am going to tell you…” She told her hesitately while giving the book to her grandmother.

                The grandmother open the note book and something fall out of the book. A picture in black and white. The grandmother take the picture with a shaking hand and looked at her granddaughter’s face “Seolma…you are…” she couldn’t continue as she looked into the big orbs.

                Yoona nodded her head with a heavy feeling. “Yes,  I am pregnant halmeoni…” she spoke as she look into her grandmother’s eyes. She was quiet all of sudden. “I am returning here because I believe, my baby would be just fine here. Living with you…” she spoke again. “Halmeoni?” she called for the grandmother but she was quiet.

                “If you don’t like me being here, then I am gonna go somewhere else...” she spoke with a sad tone.

                “No, don’t go…You will be here, I will take care of you and your baby…you don’t have to be afraid!” her grandmother sighed as she quickly embraced the granddaughter. She was in shocked but she don’t have the heart to let her granddaughter go somewhere else.

                “Thank you halmeoni…” Yoona hugged her grandmother and she wipe her tears that was about to escape from the pool of her eyes.

***

                Changwook couldn’t believe what had happened. Minyoung make announcement about their wedding to the media and right now, it was all over the internet and news.

                “What’s all this? Who told you that I am going to marry you? I made it clear with your dad that I don’t want to marry you, don’t you understand?”

                “Changwook ah…why are you being like this? Our family wanted us to marry each other… we are perfect together, you and me and we will make a beautiful couple…”

                “I don’t want to marry you and my decision is final…”

                “But why?”

                “You are asking me why?” Changwook sighed before he continued. “… because I don’t love you…”

                “I don’t care, I am in love with you and I believe you will love me after we got married…”

                Changwook scoffed. “Why were you so confident about us? It could happen that I won’t show up at your wedding day or we could get divorced right after we finished with the ceremony or I am having another woman behind you back”

                “Changwook-ah…please don’t be like this…” Minyoung tried to hold onto Changwook’s hand but he brushed her hand away.

                “Please take back that nonsense news…me and you, it would never happen…” Changwook stood up and left Minyoung there.

                She was gritting her lips before she take out her phone from her hand bag. “Appa, I want to marry him…I don’t care what happen and what you are going to do, I just want to marry him…If I can’t marry him, I am gonna cut myself like what I promised you last night!” Minyoung ended the call and she looked at Changwook shadow as he is getting into his car.

                “You don’t want to marry me because you love that woman right?” she spoke as she stand up and put on her sunglasses and left the restaurant as well.

***

                “Welcome to Jungmun Tourism Complex Miss Im…”

                “Thank you…please take care of me well…” Yoona smile and she looked at the small office.

                “Our office is not that big…I believe that your previous office is much bigger than this room  right, well, it stated in your resume that you used to work with JB Group..”

                “Oh, it was nothing…this is a beautiful office too…” Yoona showed her sweet smile.

                “You can sit here...” The manager showed  her seat before she left Yoona to take her time adjusting to the new environment.

                This is a new beginning. She was offered a job when she is trying to help a lost child looking for her mother. Turns out, the child is a foreign girl and she came from Beijing for a family trip. Thanks to Yoona’s fluency in Mandarin, she got to communicate with the little girl and she managed to send her back to her parents.

                There, she met with the manager of a travelling agency and he offered her a job as the tour guide and also translator. Her job is pretty easy, she only got to spend her time on the phone during the office hours or sometimes, she will accompany the tourists to visit the places around the Jeju island and she loved to do that.

                Yoona finally can get a decent job right after she quit from the JB Group. She loved her job in the company and she missed her friends and collegue too but there’s nothing she can do. How is she going to hide her pregnancy? It’s been one month since she left and her baby bump is starting to get visible. She can’t depend solely on her old grandmother. She must do something for their living and this is the perfect job for her.

***

                “Miss Seolhyun, where is my coffee?” Changwook called out and the new secretary is busy looking at the mirror.

                “Sorry…I forgot about that boss…” she stood up quickly and dropped the mirror in her hand onto the table that used to be Yoona’s.

                Changwook sighed at the memory of Yoona. It is so hard to erase her image from his mind. “Please concentrate on your job…don’t waste your time looking at your face in the mirror all the time…” He nagged and closed the door right after he saw the new secretary left to the pantry to make him a cup of coffee. Seolhyun is the third secretary right after Suzy and Jiyeon. They were all pretty but they were not the type that he is looking for. They can’t work well. Maybe Yoona impression left too much effect on his life especially since she is the one that played such an important in his work.

                “New secretary?” Choi Taejoon asked. He went to Canada for about one month to attend his friends’ wedding and go on tour before he came back and right after he came back, there’s so many changes happen in Changwook’s life. The news of his marriage to Park Minyoung is spreading like a wildfire and to his shocked. Yoona is no longer working here.

                “Hmmm, she’s my third one…”

                “Already the third one?” Taejoon shook his head in disbelief. “For like one month, you secretary changes for like three times already? What happen? Where is Yoona?”

                “She quit…” Changwook short answer made Taejoon started to think for a while.

                “She quit her job? After almost four years working here and suddenly she quit without warning? Is she going somewhere?” he continued to ask but Changwook is not answering at all. He saw Changwook’s face is clouded with worry “Does your dad knew?”

                “About what?”

               

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter