♦ HunHan

Exo Family Stories

http://mblogthumb4.phinf.naver.net/20150808_207/kjjh84_1438961892019QYxV7_GIF/48c0ef8e6a1069288500d39c324ab9e2.gif?type=w2
 Requested by the lovely keijjang 
I hope you like it, though it has a very weird ending...I'm sory for that.
My brain is still not fully functioning.
 

 

 

 

It was as messy as always wehn Sehun came home from work, stepping into the hallway of his house and the slight annoyed sigh that slipped past his lips caught instant attention.

 

“If you’re coming home with this attitude you can leave again.”

 

Luhan’s snarl had Sehun almost sighing again but this time he was smart enough to keep it. Looking at his spouse he forced out a smile. “Sorry,” he apologized, hoping it would soothe Luhan’s mood. “I just had an exhausting day and my head is throbbing.”

 

Of course his words were not caught with utmost understanding. “Exhausting day? Oh please, sitting at a desk and attending some meetings can’t be that exhausting.”

 

Sehun bit down he inside of his cheek to prevent himself from countering. He knew it would just end in a fight if he’d respond to his husbands words. “How are you today?” He asked instead.

 

“Absolutely fine,” Luhan said but the tone in his voice gave away that it was not the truth. “Your sons broke a lamp, the washing machine decided to die halfway through a wash and the tax office called.”

 

Sehun flinched. “Oh , the tax office.”

 

“Yes, oh the tax office. Dammit Sehun, I told you to take care of the tax return!”

 

“Sorry, I forgot. I’ll do i-” “Just forget it,” Luhan cut in with a growl. “Deadline has expired. They’ll do it now. And I’m sure I don’t have to tell you what that means.”

 

Sehun swallowed, lowering his head. Of course he knew what that meant. The tax office taking over their return in the end would mean that they either would get away with no subsequent payment or, rather likely, with an insanely high supplementary payment amount.

 

“I’m sorry,” Sehun apologized again.

 

“You’re always sorry,” Luhan huffed. Putting a hand on the round of his eight months baby bump, he waddled off towards the kitchen.

 

Sehun followed him, throwing a look into the living room on his way there. “Where are the twins?” He asked as he stepped into the kitchen.

 

“Taking a nap.”

 

“A nap at this time?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Sighing, Sehun stepped towards the other. “Babe,” he said, carefully resting a hand on Luhan’s shoulder. “Please don’t be mad at me. I know I’ve ed up. I’m sorry.”

 

Turning around, Luhan scowled at him. “Please don’t be mad at me? Hell, how not to be mad at you?! You know we’ll get a repayment order and this it the last thing we need right now!”

 

“I know but hey, I didn’t mean to sleep on it.”

 

“You didn’t mean to? You slept on the freaking extension deadline! Sehun, really!”

 

“You don’t have to worry, I’ll just work a little overtime to cover that cost up.”

 

“Yeah, because that’s exactly what I want and need,” Luhan huffed. “We had an agreement, do you remember? We agreed on you cutting down your working hours once I enter the third trimester. Hell, I barely have another six weeks to go and you’re still not working any less! You know that I need you here!”

 

“I know. I’m sorry.”

 

Luhan huffed. “God, just leave me alone.”

 

Giving the Luhan the space he needed, Sehun left the kitchen. Gazing down the with toys covered hallway floor, he decided to clean his twins mess up. He didn’t mean to react so annoyed when he came home up he couldn’t help it. Work was stressful and all he hoped for when coming home was a little peace. That he was greeted by a complete mess was not really helping his mood, though.

 

Eventually having the hallway freed from bouncy balls and blinking toy cars, Sehun stepped into the living room. This room didn’t look much better than the hall. The couch was occupied by a thousand stuffed animals and the carpet in front of it was completely covered by colorful Lego Duplo blocks.

 

Deciding on whether to pick the toys up or not, he chose not to clean up and sat down the couch between a giant teddy bear and a weird looking cat plushy. Most of the stuff his eyes fell on he had brought home. Not necessarily because his twins asked for it but because he felt like getting them gifts for barely being home during the week. Kinda like a compensation for his lacking presence.

 

That the kids by now were swimming in toys was something he did not really think of until now. There were literally toys everywhere and that Luhan had no will to clean the stuff up anymore suddenly appeared very logic to him.

 

Sighing, Sehun got up and cleaned up the living room. And that pretty much for nothing. As soon as the twins had gotten up from their nap, the toys got scattered over the floor again.

 

“Boys please,” he groaned when Baekhyun toppled over the lego blocks box and Jongdae started to spread them out. “Hey, listen to me.”

 

Baekhyun looked at him, cutely tilting his head. “Why? We wanna play!”

 

“You can play but before dinner we have to clean up again, alright?”

 

“Why?” Jongdae asked.

 

“Because it’s not nice to leave your toys everywhere.”

 

“Okie,” both boys squeaked and Sehun smiled, proudly nodding to himself but when he spotted Luhan in the doorway his smile faded. “What?” He asked.

 

“Do you really think they’ll clean that up? Your words went in here and out there,” the expecting said, pointing at one ear at the time.

 

And of course he was right. Sehun tried to get his sons to clean up their mess when Luhan announced that dinner would be served soon but he miserably failed. They completely ignored his orders and simply walked out of the living room, leaving him behind with the chaos.

 

Dinner Sehun ate in silent. He only here and there reacted to his children’s talking and watched as Luhan tricked them into eating their veggies and after dinner brought them up to get ready for bed.

 

While he was up with the boys, making sure they had properly cleaned teeth before sleeping, Sehun washed the dishes. He rarely did it, most of the times went to watch TV right after dinner and as he stood by the sink, scrubbing the dirty plates, he realized that he should’ve done this way earlier. It was nothing to wash the dishes and yet it would’ve been a great help for Luhan all the time.

 

“Daddy! Nighty, nighty!”

 

His twins calling out for him had Sehun stopping his work. Drying his hands off he went up to their shared bedroom where they already lay in their beds, cuddling their plushies. “Time to sleep?”

 

Both boys nodded.

 

“Alright, then sleep tight.” Giving each boy a kiss, he waited for Luhan outside the children's bedroom. “I took care of the dishes,” he informed his soupse, gifting him a smile.

 

“Oh,” Luhan voiced out, visibly surprised. “Well, thank you.”

 

“Uh, is there something else I could help you with?”

 

Luhan scowled. “Don’t think washing the dishes makes up for you sleeping on the tax return.”

 

“I just wanted to help,” Sehun quietly uttered.

 

“All of the sudden?”

 

A whine left the young family father. “Babe, please. I’m sorry. I got it. I’ll cut down the hours at work, I promise.”

 

“Well, if so then why not starting tomorrow. The boys want to go to the park but you know I can’t run after them the whole time.”

 

“Uh, oh,” Sehun bit down his lip. “Tomorrow? Well, that’s-”

 

“Yeah, yeah, I got it,” Luhan said, waving the man off. “I swear, if I wouldn’t know you’re married to me I’d say you’re married to that damn job.”

 

“Oh, don’t say such a thing.”

 

“But it’s true, isn’t it,” Luhan grumbled as he walked off towards the staircase. “You rather spend time at this damn office than at home.”

 

“That’s not true! But hell, maintaining this family is not easy.”

 

Sehun flinched when his spouse swung around. “Excuse me? Could you repeat that?”

 

“W-well,” th younger stuttered. “It’s true, somehow. A family is expensive.”

 

“True, true, I give you that. But you knew that before we had the twins and before this little fella here happened,” the Chinese grumbled, giving his belly a pat. And besides that, if you’d stop bringing home the boys don’t need, you’d be able to put aside a little more money every month.”

 

“Tha-” “Just stop it, Sehun. Not for my sake but for the twins sake. They need you and not some dumb toys. You’ve got no idea how it hurts me when they ask why Daddy’s not around. They’d rather have you cuddling and reading a book to them than playing with some building blocks.”

 

Letting his head hang low, Sehun swallowed. “I’m sorry.”

 

“Yes, you are. You’re always sorry and I’m sick of it.”





 










 

Sehun’s mood the next day was at its lowest. Luhan rightfully was mad at him and it frustrated him. He had spent the night sleeping on the couch and the thought alone that Luhan just couldn’t bear resting in the same bed with him broke his heart.

 

Trying to focus back on his work Sehun jumped in shock when mobile phone went off in his pants pocket, starling him with its vibration. Fumbling it out of his pocket he frowned at the unknown number that was shown on the display.

 

“Hello?” He answered the call.

 

“Hello? Is this Oh Sehun?”

 

“It is, yes. Who are you?”

 

“Mr. Oh, I’m Lee Jieun from the National University Hospital. I’m calling to inform you that your son, Jongdae, has been admitted to our clinic with a head injury.”

 

Sehun heart skipped a beat. “W-what? H-how is he?”

 

“He’s already been treated and just got brought to the recovery room. Mr. Oh the other reason I’m calling you is your husband. We had to bring him to the maternity ward as he had a severe mental breakdown. It caused a bleeding and we’re currently fearing for your unborns life.”

 

Somewhere in her telling him that both Luhan and Jongdae were hospitalized and Baekhyun was looked after by a child psychologist, Sehun had made it to the parking lot to get his car. The world around him was standing still as he drove to the hospital where a doctor received him and right away brought him to his spouse.

 

Luhan’s screams and cries for Jongdae hollered through the entire ward and Sehun’s heart broke into a million pieces when he stepped into the treatment room, seeing Luhan being hold down by two nurses and a doctor.

 

“Let go of me! I want to see my baby!”

 

One of the nurse’s immediately let go of Luhan when Sehun stepped forwards, sinking to his knees. “Babe.”

 

Luhan looked at him, eyes red and puffy from crying and he bawled out, reaching out for him. “Where is Jongdae?” He sobbed, his hand in Sehun’s white dress shirt. “Where is he?”

 

“He’s in the recovery room.”

 

The doctor had informed Sehun that they urgently had to examine Luhan but couldn’t due to the upset state he was in.

 

“He’s fine.”

 

“I want to see him!”

 

“Later,” Sehun said, trying to be as calm as possible. “He’s sleeping right now. You can visit him later.”

 

“No! No, I want to see him now!”

 

“Babe, you can’t. First they have to take a look at you and our baby, okay?”

 

Sehun swallowed when Luhan’s eyes filled with tears again. “D-did I hurt the baby? Did I hurt him?”

 

“No, no you didn’t. They just want to see if he’s completely alright. Can they do that? After that we can go and visit Dae.”

 

At the first faint nod Luhan gave a doctor pulled a syringe and injected him a sedativum. A shaky breath escaped Sehun when Luhan got drowsy and eventually fell asleep.

 

“We’d like you to leave for the time of the examination,” the doctor said as the nurses laid the expecting down on the treatment table, preparing him for the check-up.

 

“What? No, I’ll stay.”

 

“Please, Mr. Oh,” the medic said. “Please leave. Go and get your son from the children’s ward or check up on your other son but leave.”

 

There was nothing much Sehun was able to do and so he nodded and then went to see Baekhyun. The little boy broke into tears when he walked into the room and hugged his leg, bawling into his thigh.

 

Scooping Baekhyun up Sehun brought him into his arms, pressing his tiny body to his chest. The boy sobbed into the crook of his neck, hiccuping every now and then until he was so worn out from crying that he fell asleep.

 

“How was he doing?” Sehun asked the psychologist that looked after his son while rubbing Baekhyun’s back.

 

“He didn’t talk at all,” the woman informed him. “Which is fairly normal. He’s in shock after all.”

 

“W-what about tonight? Do you think he’ll have trouble sleeping?”

 

“Could be, yes. Just keep him close and I’ll think he’ll cope with it much better.”

 

Sehun nodded. “O-okay, thank you very much.”

 

With his sleeping child in his arms Sehun eventually had the chance to check up on his second child. His heart was thumping in his chest when a nurse brought him to the room Jongdae lay in and his breath hitched at the sight of his son being connected to various, beeping machines that monitored his blood pressure, heart rate and brain waves.

 

The boy’s head was wrapped into a white turban of wound bandages and other small injuries that decorated his face were covered with smaller wound dressings.

 

“He’s doing good.”

 

At the soft, whispering voice, Sehun turned around. “Oh, hello.”

 

The man in the white coat smiled friendly. “I’m Dr. Kim, I’ve treated your son’s wounds.”

 

“Is it bad?”

 

“He’s got a fracture of the skull we could fix and a concussion. There are also a few scratches and bruises but they’re not major.”

 

“How long does he have to stay?”

 

“That’s hard to tell, we have to see how he’s doing when he wakes up. No important veins or arteries got visibly harmed. Neither did his brain but that doesn’t mean anything. I’m sorry but we have to wait until he wakes up and then we can see.”

 

Breathing in, Sehun nodded. “Alright, thank you.”

 

“You can stay a little longer if you like,” the medic said when Sehun turned towards the door.

 

“Ah, I’d like to but my spouse is in treatment too at the moment and I have to check up on him.”

 

“I see,” the doctor said. “Well, then how about coming back tomorrow? In case your son wakes up earlier than expected we’ll inform you, of course.”

 

“Okay,” Sehun nodded, adjusting Baekhyun in his arms. “Thanks again.”

 

“You’re welcome. And as for your visit tomorrow. You can come as early as you like.”

 

Leaving the ward Jongdae was stationed at for monitoring, Sehun went back to the maternity ward. This time he wasn’t greeted by Luhan’s screams but it didn’t make the whole situation better.

 

Stepping to the room the expecting had been brought to, Sehun inhaled. “Hello?”

 

“Oh hello,” a nurse greeted, smiling softly. “How are the little ones doing?”

 

“This one okay and the other one fine as well under the circumstances he is in.”

 

“That’s good to hear. I’ll get the doctor so you can talk to him.”

 

As the nurse left to get the doctor who carried out the treatment, Sehun sat down on the chair by the bed Luhan lay in. The expectings breath was calm but his face was pale and his lashes were still glistening from the tears he had shed earlier.  

 

Sehun reached out and gently caressed his spouses cheek, smiling softly when Luha sighed at the touch. He looked away from the older when the door opened and the doctor stepped into the room. “Stay seated,” he was told when he was about to stand up.

 

Leaning back into the chair, adjusting Baekhyun in his arms, Sehun looked at the medic, waiting for him to speak up. “Is something wrong?” He impatiently asked when the man kept quiet.

 

A sigh left the doctor and it alarmed the father. “What’s wrong?”

 

“Well, your husband had a mental break down that caused a bleeding.”

 

“I a-already know that,” Sehun said. “B-but what does it mean?”

 

“The bleeding has stopped by now and your spouse has calmed down, yet his breakdown had a severe effect on the baby.”

 

Sehun in breath.

 

“The unborn’s heart rate has dropped dangerously low, it’s almost inaudible and the during the examination we were not able to get any movements from it.”

 

“I d-don’t understand.”

 

“The bleeding severely restricted the baby's oxygen supply and therefore the baby’s brain did not get provide the amount of oxygen it needs.”

 

Biting down his lip, Sehun tried not to break into tears. “Does it m-mean our baby could d-die?”

 

“Yes,” the doctor nodded, lowering his head a little. “Because we could not act directly, the oxygen deficiency persisted for a long time. As for now the fetus is still struggling with the duration of the shortage.”

 

Sehun gazed at Luhan, letting out a shaky breath. “How high is the chance that-” “Mr. Oh,” the doctor cut in. “As much as I’d like to tell you, I can’t. I don’t know.”

 

“Then lie to me,” Sehun said, starting to cry. “Just don’t don’t tell we’ll lose it.”

 

The doctor inhaled loudly. “50:50,” he then said.

 

Sehun smiled, nodding his head. He let his head fall onto Baekhyun’s little shoulder and cried out, tightly hugging the boy.

 

He sat by Luhan’s side for one more hour until he decided to take Baekhyun home. The boy slept the whole way back from the hospital, only woke up when Sehun stepped onto a squeaky toy after laying him down on the couch.  “Daddy.”

 

Turning back to his son, Sehun put on a smile. “Hey there, buddy.” Kneeling down in front od the couch, he watched as Baekhyun rubbed his sleepy eyes. “Slept well?”

 

“Where is Baba? Where is Daedae?”

 

“They’re gonna sleep at the hospital tonight,” Sehun answered, trying not to cry again. “You know Dae has hurt his head and has to stay there for a while. A-and Baba is with him so he’s not alone.”

 

Baekhyun nodded. “Okie,” he then mumbled, pursing his pink lips into a pout. “Is the ouchie bad?”

 

“You mean Jongdae’s ouchie? It’s bad, yes. But don’t worry, he’ll be fine again, soon.”

 

Gazing down, little Baekhyun reached for his father’s hand. Taking his parents hands and starting to fiddle with their fingers was a habit of his when he’s done something wrong and Sehun was desperate to hear what he was going to tell him. “Baba said no,” Baek started, looking back up. “He said no to go on the tree.”

 

“On the tree?” Sehun asked.

 

Baek nodded. “Yes. A big tree on the floor. Many kids were playing there.”

 

“I assume they were bigger than you, huh?”

 

Again the boy nodded. “Baba said no to playing there but it was so much fun-”

 

Sehun breathed in. “Until Jongdae fell, huh?”

 

“Y-yes.”

 

As Baekhyun’s lower lip started to quiver, Sehun embraced his son. “It’s okay, baby,” he said, rubbing the boy’s back to calm him down. “It was an accident. But next time you have to listen when Baba says no, okay?”

 

“I will! I promise!”

 

Sehun smiled at his child. “Are you hungry?” He then asked. “It’s already way past dinner time.”

 

Baek nodded. “What can we eat?”

 

The father hummed. Sehun was not really a good cook and he also wasn’t in the mood standing at the stove, making something that in the end would probably not get eaten by the kid. “Let’s order something,” he said, fumbling his phone out of his pocket. “What do you like?”

 

It cheered Baekhyun up looking through the variety of food options and in the end picked out some fried chicken that came along with french fries. “Okay, in the time we wait for our food, let’s go and take a shower.”

 

Baekhyun scowled. “But Daddy! I don’t like showers!”

 

“You don’t? Uh, b-but Baba showers you and Dae every night, right?”

 

“No, we bathe!”

 

“Oh, okay. Then let’s take a bath.”

 

It was not Sehun’s plan to also bathe but Baekhyun was just too good at persuade him and so he ended up in the tub as well, having a happy little boy making him play with his rubber duckies.

 

“Baba likes this one best!”

 

“I can see why,” Sehun chuckled, taking the little yellow duck that in a very odd way looked like Baekhyun with its pink, chubby cheeks.

 

“And this one! Looks like Daedae, eh?!” Baek beamed, squeezing a toy whose painted on smile was just as cutely curled as Jongdae’s.

 

Baekhyun’s bubbly nature was able to relax Sehun and make him push the worry about Luhan and Jongdae aside for a moment. He enjoyed the time with Baekhyun a lot and upset him that he had neglected his children a little as Baekhyun very obviously enjoyed spending time with just as much.  

 

After their bath that ended with a little foam fight and a wet bathroom floor, father and son happily received their ordered dinner and settled down at the dining table, enjoying a big glass of orange juice to their chicken and fries.

 

“Can we visit Baba and Daedae tomorrow?”

 

“Of course.”

 

“Can we bring a toy?”

 

“For Dae?”

 

“Yes,” Baek nodded, munching on his chicken.

 

“Maybe not a toy,” Sehun hummed. “Let’s bring him a plushie.”

 

“Oh, his dino plushie,” Baek smiled.

 

“Alright, then let’s put it in a bag after dinner so we won’t forget it tomorrow.”

 

Unfortunately they were not able to find the bright green stuffed dinosaur anywhere and Baekhyun was almost about to break into tears when Sehun came an idea. “Maybe Baba has washed it.”

 

Much to his luck they indeed found the plush toy in the washing machine but not washed and nicely smelling at all. It was wet and stained, giving off a musky scent that had both, Sehun and Baekhyun, scrunching up their noses.

 

“Don’t worry, we can wash it now and then put it into the dryer,” Sehun said.

 

Throwing in some towels that still had to be washed to fill up the washing drum Sehun added laundry detergent and fabric softener. Switching the machine on, selecting a wash program to start the cleaning process the washing machine rejected his order by loudly beeping at him.

 

Scowling the young father leaned closer to the washer to inspect the red light that lit up right after the beeping disappeared. “What the heck?”

 

Sitting back he tried it again but nothing happened. The machine just didn’t want to start und just as Sehun thought about Luhan probably knowing what to do in this situation he remembered his spouse saying something about the washer dying midway through a wash.

 

“Oh man,” he sighed, running a hand through his hair. “I guess we have to wash it by hand then.”

 

“Why?” Baekhyun wanted to know.

 

“Because he washing machine is not working.”

 

“Can I help?”

 

“Of course.”

 

Washing the plush dino, scrubbing the stains out of it took longer than expected and Sehun was pretty exhausted when he finally was able to throw the stuffed toy into the dryer. The skin of his fingers was wrinkly from being into contact with water for too long and his palms were sore and slightly itchy.  But at least the dino was clean.

 

Baekhyun yawned and leaned against his leg when he was drying off his hands and Sehun gazed at him. “Let’s go and brush teeth.”

 

Not having his twin around made Baekhyun uncomfortable and after the distressing event he had to witness, Sehun did not have him sleeping alone. Hugging his son close to his chest they snuggled into the soft sheets of his and Luhan’s king sized bed.

 

“Night, baby. Sleep well.”

 

“Nighty, Daddy. I love you.”

 

Holding his breath, Sehun swallowed. It had been a while since one of his children said these words to him. “I love you, too. Very, very much.”





 




 

The night was short and Sehun sighed as he looked into the mirror deciding whether to shave or not. He was pale and had dark circles under his eyes, making him look as if he hadn’t rest in weeks.

 

He spent most of the night thinking of the past year had gone by and the more further he went into details he came to the conclusion that he had not really spent much time with his family.

 

And it ashamed him. The only times he actually had taken days off from work were Luhan’s and the twins birthday. His own he had spent in the office and rather going home to spend it, at least a couple of hours, with his family he went out for drinks with colleagues.

 

Even after Luhan surprised him with the news of a third baby joining their family, he barely was home. He missed almost every check-up, missed the day the gender was revealed, missed the baby’s first movements and kicks and he was also not involved into anything related to decorating the nursery or getting clothes.

 

There were days Luhan obviously struggled and needed help but Sehun was just too blind to notice or didn’t bother to listen. They had fought a lot in the past months and Sehun had to realize that they had barely spent a night just enjoying each other’s presences. He had to realize that he had no idea on what was going on at home and his family’s daily lives.

 

He could’ve made Luhan’s life so much easier when he just would’ve been home more often. And maybe even Jongdae’s accident and Luhan’s breakdown could’ve been prevented if he would’ve stuck to his promise of cutting down his work hours. After all Luhan had voiced out that he was incapable of running after the twins all the time.

 

Sehun felt bad and he had no idea how he ever was able to make it up to his spouse.

 

The bathroom door being pushed open had the young man turning away from the mirror. “Good morning,” he said to Baekhyun. “Why are you up so early?”

 

“I peed,” the boy said, sobbing a little.

 

“Oh,” Sehun voiced out, gazing at the boy’s wet pants. “D-did you pee on the way here or in the bed?”

 

“In the bed. I’m sorry.”

 

“Ah, don’t worry,” Sehun said, trying to lift his son’s mood as Baek obviously was about to cry. “It happens. Come, let’s get you out of your pants and wash up.”

 

Washing Baekhyun and then stripping the bed Sehun once again got reminded that the washer was not working. Thinking of how he could prevent the sheets and boy’s pajama from starting to smell he threw them into the tub and soaked them in warm water and some laundry detergent.

 

“Remind me to call someone for the washing machine.”

 

“Okie,” Baek chirped. “And who will you call?”

 

“A service technician,” Sehun answered. “They hopefully can repair it.”

 

“And if not?”

 

“Then we have to buy a new washer. Though, maybe we should do that right away.”

 

Humming, Sehun put a hand on his chin. Somewhere far in the back of his mind he remembered Luhan comparing prices of washers as the expecting thought of getting one with a larger capacity since five people would produce more dirty clothes than four.

 

Taking a mental note of that Sehun then went to feed his child some breakfast. It required significantly more effort than expected and for the first time ever Sehun realized how much dedication Luhan put into the care for their children.

 

After Baekhyun had finished his breakfast and his beaker of tepid fruit tea, they got ready to leave for the hospital.

 

Baekhyun held onto the freshly washed dino plushie for Jongdae and Sehun sent prayers to every god of the universe that his unborn baby was doing better than the day before. Arrived at the hospital they straight went to Jongdae’s room.

 

The boy was awake and visibly happy to father and brother. “I want to go home.”

 

Sehun smiled at the whine. “I know, baby. But you can’t. You have to stay a little longer. Are you in pain?”

 

“No,” Jongdae said. “My tummy feels weird.”

 

Sehun nodded. The nurse had informed him that Jongdae got injected a high-dose painkiller that would make him feel a little queasy. That his son was not in pain was a great relief.

 

“Where’s Baba?” Baekhyun asked, looking at him with hopefuls eyes.

 

“Oh, he’s probably still sleeping,” Sehun said. “W-wait, I’ll get him.”

 

“I come with you.”

 

“No, stay here with Dae, okay? Otherwise he’ll be alone again.”

 

Baek gasped and quickly nodded his head, then remembering that they had brought his twin his favorite plushy. “Look!” He beamed at his brother. “Daddy and I washed it! It smells good!”

 

Leaving the twins in Jongdae’s room, telling a nurse that he’d be back as soon as possible, Sehun made his way to the maternity ward. Stepping through the large door he immediately was greeted by the head nurse. “Good morning.”

 

“Good morning,” he greeted back. “I’m here to visit my husband.”

 

She smiled, nodding her head. “I already guessed that. Come, I’ll bring you there.”

 

“Is there a doctor I can talk to?”

 

“Not at the moment,” she said. “The doctor is in the delivery room right now. But if it’s about the baby, I can tell you that nothing has changed until yesterday.”

 

A sigh left Sehun. “Does my husband know already?”

 

“Yes. He was informed yesterday late evening.”

 

Sehun nodded his head, thanking the nurse before quietly entering Luhan’s room. A small lamp above the bed dipped the room into light and Sehun’s eyes immediately fell onto his spouses face. Luhan had his eyes closed but by the faint movement of his eyelids Sehun could tell that he as not sleeping.

 

Sitting down by the bed he reached to grab Luhan’s hand. The Chinese’s eyes opened almost instantly. “Hey,” Sehun whispered, smiling softly. “How are you?”

 

A shaky breath escaped Luhan and his eyes filled with tears. “I-”

 

Sehun leaned over, resting his forehead against the smaller one’s. “Everything is going to be fine,” he said. “It’ll be alright.”

 

“B-but what if not?”

 

“It will.”

 

Luhan cried out. “I’m sorry.”

 

“Oh god, no.” Sehun moved from the chair to sit on the side by Luhan’s side. “There’s no need to be sorry. If someone has to be sorry it’s me. Babe, I-” he paused, swallowing. “I don’t know how I’ll ever be able to make up for not being there with you. Not only yesterday. I ca-” Luhan grabbing his wrist had him stop talking. “Hm?”

 

“Hug me, please.”

 

Slinging his arms around his spouse as soon as Luhan had sat up, Sehun pulled him as close as possible. With one hand resting on his lower back and one gently holding onto the back of his neck, Sehun pressed his lips against Luhan’s temple. “Everything will be fine, I know it’ll be fine.”

 

They sat like this for quite a while and even though the circumstances under which they held each other were not the best, Sehun enjoyed having Luhan in his arms. He had not really realized how much he had missed it. “I love you.”

 

Luhan shifted, leaning back. His eyes were still glassy but he had a soft smile on his lips. “I love you, too.” He closed his eyes when Sehun pressed a gentle kiss to his forehead.

 

“I promised Dae to get you. Do you feel strong enough to go down with me?”

 

“He’s awake?”

 

“He is.”

 

“How is he doing?”

 

“Good. He wants to go home,” Sehun smiled.

 

Luhan’s face fell. “You should’ve seen him. He-” “It’s okay, you don’t have to tell me. I more or less know what happened.”

 

“How do you know?”

 

“Baek told me that they were climbing onto that tree though you told them not to.”

 

“Is he here, too?”

 

“Yes, he’s with Dae. We brought him his dino plushie.”

 

“But it was dirty and still in the washer.”

 

“Yeah, we found it and washed by hand.”

 

Luhan only nodded at the information.

 

“Alright, shall we go then or do we have to ask if you can go?”

 

The expecting scowled. “Nothing will stop me from visiting my son!”

 

Both, Jongdae and Baekhyun were more than happy to see their Baba and Luhan showered them with kisses, for minutes.

 

Jongdae whined that he wanted to go home and Baekhyun agreed, crying that it was way too boring at home without his twin.

 

The parents eventually got the information that heir son had to stay at the hospital for at least another ten days and it broke Sehun’s heart to see Jongdae crying, begging for permission to go home.

 

“Honey, we will come and visit you every day,” Luhan promised, his son over the head. “We come right after breakfast and we’ll stay until you go to bed.”

 

Jongdae pouted. “No.”

 

“But you can’t come home with us yet.”

 

“But I’m okie!”

 

“No, you’re not,” Luhan said. “Not yet. But maybe when you’re a good boy and stay here, you’re able to come home with us much earlier than expected.”

 

The boy hummed and eventually nodded. “Okie.”

 

To cheer the droopy mood up a little Sehun suggested to get the kids something sweet to snack on. As he went to inspect the offered candy at the small kiosk that was located by the entrance of the hospital he ran into Luhan’s doctor on his way back to his family.

 

“Oh, good morning,” the doctor greeted him. “I assume you’re husband is down here as well?”

 

“He is,” Sehun nodded. “Do you want to see him?”

 

“I wanted to check up on him but it can wait. I’m sure he’s happy to see your son. How is he doing, by the way?”

 

“Good, I guess. He’s on high-dose painkillers so he doesn't complain about any pain at all.”

 

The doctor hummed. “It’s a normal procedure when it comes to kids with injuries like that. If they’d be in great pain it’s harder to examine them. Downside is that they have to stay in care for a little longer. Reducing the dosage takes its time. Do you already know for how long he’ll have to stay?”

 

“Almost two weeks,” Sehun answered.

 

“Ah, that’s not that bad,” the man smiled. “Alright, I have to go. Please tell your husband that I’d like to check up on him before lunchtime, okay?”

 

Sehun nodded. “Oh, uh, doctor,” he voiced out to stop the medic from leaving. “I got told that nothing has changed since yesterday.”

 

“That’s true,” the doctor answered. “There’s no improvement in the baby’s heart rate or agility whatsoever, yet I’m optimistic.”

 

“R-really?” Sehun felt his heart speeding up at the words and broke into a smile when the doctor nodded at him with a smile.

 

“I am. The baby hasn’t shown any movements yet and like I said it’s heart rate is still low but if it would’ve been on the brink of losing its battle, it would’ve lost it yesterday. I’m very confident to say that you’ve got a little unshakable fighter there. And if there’s at least a small change to see later on your husband is allowed to leave for home.”

 

“Really? He could come home then?”

 

The medic nodded. “He still would need to rest and take things slow but nothing helps better with regeneration than being together with loved ones.”

 

A nice warm feeling was spreading through his entire body when Sehun walked towards Jongdae’s room and he almost jumped at Luhan in joy over the positive news.

 

“What’s wrong?” the expecting asked when he was embraced from behind and Sehun deeply sighed into the back of his head.

 

“Nothing,” Sehun whispered, smiling to himself. “Everything is fine.”

 

That everything was much better than the day before Luhan also learned later the day when he visit the doctor for a check-up. The tiny human under his heart had made progress in recovery from the sudden hypoxia it had to suffer from and so the expecting was allowed to leave the hospital.

 

The family spent the rest of the day with Jongdae, trying to entertain the boy as much as possible. He and Baekhyun shed some tears when it was time for them to leave for home but the promise of them being able to spend time together the following day, watching their favorite movies,  dried their teary eyes.

 

Baekhyun fell asleep on the way home and after changing him into his pajamas, Sehun brought him to bed. He met his spouse in the living room after and sat down next to Luhan on the couch. The older had taken a shower and Sehun was able to smell the scent of his body lotion when he leaned against him.

 

Reaching for Luhan’s hand, Sehun gave it a gentle squeeze. “I’m sorry, babe.”

 

“For what? It was an acc-” “No,” Sehun cut in, turning to face his the smaller. “Don’t try to defend me. I don’t deserve it. I should’ve been there. Yes, maybe it still would’ve happen but I should’ve been there with you, yesterday. You told me that you’re not able to run after them the whole time and I simply should’ve come with you. I’ve been so ignorant lately, I don’t even know how to make up for it. Yesterday when Baek and I came home I finally realized why you’ve been so angry with me.”

 

Sehun paused, breathing in. “I know nothing and it’s a shame. All the time I took it for granted what you do, not realizing how much dedication you put into caring for this family. I don’t know why I became so ignorant but I promise to change. I promise to change for the kids and I promise to change for you. Hell, I didn’t even realize that we lose sight of each other. I can’t remember the last time we’ve just sat together talking. I’m so sorry. So, so sorry.”

 

His eyes fell shut when Luhan cupped his cheek, lovingly caressing it. “I’m sorry, babe. Please, forgive me.”

 

“You are forgiven,” Luhan said and Sehun was greeted by the smaller’s stunning smile when he opened his eyes again. “But not for the thing with the tax return.”

 

Sehun laughed out. “Yeah, that’s understandable. That’s really .”

 

Softly smiling, Luhan looked at his husband. Here reached for his hands and placed him onto his baby bump. “They told me that he had a 50:50 chance on surviving the night.”

 

A sigh left Sehun as he gazed down to where his hands were. “That’s what they told me too after begging them to just tell me he won’t die.”

 

“Have you doubt that he wouldn’t make it?”

 

“Yes,” Sehun honestly answered. “When the doctor couldn’t tell me how high his chances of survival would be I was sure we’d lose him.”

 

“But we didn’t.”

 

“We didn’t,” Sehun repeated the words, allowing a tear to escape him. He let his hands wander to Luhans’ hips and pulled the other close. “You didn’t doubt it, did you?”

 

“I did,” Luhan whispered, hugging Sehun around the waist while resting his cheek against the man’s shoulder. “I just hoped that everything would be fine.”

 

“The doctor called him an unshakeable fighter.”

 

“Well, he’s not wrong with it. He obviously is unshakable.”

 

“That’s a good thing, isn’t it?” Sehun softly laughed. “After all he’s going to have two very energetic brothers.”

 

Nodding, Luhan chuckled. “If he won’t be as energetic as them he’ll need an unshakable character, for sure.”

 

“He surely got this imperturbability from you.”

 

“Assuredly.”

 

Sehun laughed out at the firm nod that accompanied Luhan’s words. Leaning forwards he nipped at the shorter’s lips. “I hope you know how much I love you.”

 

“I have a vague idea, yeah,” Luhan hummed, breaking into a giggle at the grimace the younger made at his comment. “I love you too,” he said, leaning in for another kiss.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“We all make mistakes, Sehun. And we might have had a rougher time lately but it didn’t change anything about my feelings for you. You’re my husband, the father of my children and I love you. And I know we’re going to have better times again. And they may start right now at this very moment.”

 

“Yes,” Sehun said, nodding. “I improve myself. I promise.”

 

“I know you will.”

 

Sehun sighed into the following kiss he was given and wrapped his arms around his spouse to hold him close. He was still upset with himself and with how he had acted in the past months but just as he had promised Luhan to improve, he swore that he’d never ever take everything his love did for granted.