six.

Dear Happiness

There is no such thing as good or evil, right or wrong. The world simply does not operate in black and white, because everything is doused in shades of uncertainty and questionable morals.

And Kyungsoo does not choose to be bad or good. He chooses to be certain. Sure in his actions, confident in his ways, and above all, acting without regret.

He needs things to be this way. He has always needed things to be this way—his way.

And in order for this to happen, he must do three things. One necessary, one terrible, and one beautiful.

 


 

Minseok doesn’t look at Kyungsoo. He sits across from him, legs crossed on the couch, a stranger in his own house.

“I have something to say.” Kyungsoo breaks the silence first, and Minseok lifts his head up warily. “I’m here to apologize. I’m sorry for being such a jerk. You’re my best friend, and I shouldn’t have said what I said.”

“You were right,” Minseok says finally, and Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow.

“What do you mean?”

“Luhan hasn’t come to see me. I guess…he didn’t mean what he said after all.” There’s a sad smile on Minseok’s face that Kyungsoo can’t bear to see.

“Don’t look so sad, Seok,” he says softly.

“Kyungsoo, I’m sorry too,” Minseok admits, frowning into his hands. “I should’ve trusted you. All city people do is lie. I don’t know what I was thinking. I…I don’t even know Luhan.”

Kyungsoo gets up and walks over to Minseok, sinking into the couch beside him. Without a second thought, Minseok lays his head on Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

“Soo, let’s not fight anymore.”

And this is how it should be, Kyungsoo thinks to himself. Him and Minseok against the world. They would make a life right here in Morae-dong, and he would make Minseok happy.

Somewhere in the back of his mind, Kyungsoo knew that this was how it was meant to be and that he would do anything to protect the reality he had created.

“Let’s not fight anymore,” he agrees.

Minseok reaches for his hand and their fingers interlock.

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo doesn’t know what he’s doing at the bus stop until Luhan appears around the corner, heavy backpack resting on his shoulders and a suitcase in tow. He looks tired and his eyes are laced with fatigue, but they light up a bit once he spots Kyungsoo.

“You came.”

“Why am I here?”

“I need to ask you a favor.”

Luhan fishes a necklace out of his pocket and s it at Kyungsoo. It’s a silver chain with a pendant—two rings linked together. Kyungsoo almost drops it.

“…What is this?”

“Please give it to Minseok. Tell him that I…” Luhan pauses, biting his lip nervously. “Never mind. Will you give it to him for me?”

“Luhan…”

Please,” Luhan urges. “I’d do it myself, but..he doesn’t want to see me, right?” He lets out a hollow laugh. “Look, it’s important.”

“I understand.”

Luhan sighs in relief.

The bus pulls up within the next couple of minutes, he piles his luggage into the vehicle, and Kyungsoo finds himself watching Luhan wave at him as he’s driven away. He stuffs the necklace into his pocket and turns his back on the road.

On the way back, he stops by the river, pulling the necklace out again.

It’s beautiful. Obviously expensive, and obviously some sort of sign Luhan wished to pass along.

There’s only a moment of hesitation before Kyungsoo throws it into the river.

 

 

 

 

The wind rakes through the field, blowing the wheat in one direction and bringing the faraway scent of flowers. The sun kisses the horizon against a backdrop of pink and orange hues, sending its final rays of the day into the field to be scattered throughout it.

Minseok and Kyungsoo gaze up at the sky, basking in its warmth and sharing the moment in silence. Minseok closes his eyes after awhile but Kyungsoo keeps his open, memorizing all the features of his face. The flutter of Minseok’s eyelashes, the rise and fall of his chest, the curve of his nose, and most of all the content smile on his lips.

The feeling of the warm breeze paired with the wheat brushing his arms etches itself into his memories, and the wonderful rushing feeling of being with Minseok replays itself on a loop in his mind, an intoxicating mix of emotions stirring within his chest.

“I have a confession.”

“Hmm?”

“I’m in love with you, Kim Minseok,” Kyungsoo grins.

Minseok’s eyes snap open and he sits up, an incredulous look painted on his face as he stares at Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo sits up too, grin still present.

“Are you serious?”

“You have no idea.”

There’s no hesitation when their lips crash together, fingers tangled in each other’s hair and chests pressed so close Kyungsoo isn’t sure where he ends and where Minseok begins.

When they part and Minseok opens his eyes again, he can’t help but laugh.

“Were your eyes open the whole time?”

“Maybe,” Kyungsoo says.

“Weirdo,” Minseok chuckles.

“I didn’t want to miss anything,” Kyungsoo murmurs, brushing his thumb across Minseok’s bottom lip.

“You’re supposed to close your eyes anyways.”

“Try again?”

Minseok kisses him again, and Kyungsoo closes his eyes as the sun finally dips below the horizon.