Blurred lines

The Others
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Meeting the two Warriors had left its mark, especially on Jisoo who - as a beloved only-child and Wielder - had only heard about murder, gangs and torture in the news. Chan was somewhat less affected due to the experiences with his family, but it still had shaken him to abruptly get confronted with the violence some Forcebearers had to endure. After going to bed and huddling as close together as possible, Jisoo fell into a fitful sleep, safely tucked into his Guardian's warm arms. Chan laid awake for a while, gratefully his Wielder's hair and thinking about how lucky he was that he had been found by Jisoo.

Neither Jisoo nor Chan slept well that night although they had been completely exhausted from the events of the day.

Therefore, in the next morning, both of them were dead tired. Chan was cranky and whined about this and that while Jisoo was much more quiet than usual, his pale face adorned with dark circles and eyebags.

He was so unfocused throughout noon that he completely forgot about a certain email from a certain small Wielder with rather big temper-issues.

Said Wielder was not happy when he approached Jisoo during lunch break, who was eating alone after Chan had been called into the office to receive his exam results. Jisoo got ripped out of his daze when a chair at his table got roughly pulled back with an earshattering screeching sound and a body slumped down on it. He was met with Jihoon's angry, dark eyes and the unread email waiting for him in his account came to his mind in an instant. The thought made him break out in cold sweat. "O-oh... Jihoon. I'm so sorry, I completely forgot about your e-email..."

Jihoon opened his mouth and Jisoo ducked his head in anticipation of the harsh words thrown in his direction - but the other Wielder only took a close look at his face before his eyes softened. "It's alright. Are you coming later? You look pretty sick." Even though his words were as blunt as always, his voice was much more gentle than usual and the relief that flooded Jisoo left him slightly dizzy.

"Uhm... Thank y-you, I'm just a bit tired. I'll come b-but would it be okay to bring my Forcebearer?" he asked carefully, already prepared for a sharp 'no', but to his surprise, Jihoon nodded curtly.

"Let's walk as a group later. We'll meet in front of the usual classroom, make sure you're on time." And with a last glance, he left a very confused Wielder behind.

 

His confusion didn't last long since thin arms wrapped around his throat from behind, almost completely cutting off his airflow. "Hyung! I got the scholarship! I'll attend university starting tomorrow!" Chan's excited voice rang in his ears, making him wince at the high volume.

"That's amazing, Channie," he choked out, patting the younger's arm, "but you're killing me."

The Guardian immediately let go of him and stepped back, a guilty look on his face. Jisoo rubbed his throat while turning around. "You passed?! Awesome, we need to celebrate," he cheered with a wide grin and Chan brightened at once.

 

After they had both gorged themselves on overly sugary brownies from the cafeteria, they were met with the next surprise.

"There's another letter," Jisoo said after he had opened his locker. He handed it to Chan while distractedly putting away his books.

"In case of doubt, try water."

"Huh?" Jisoo looked up from his bag, confusion written all over his face.

Chan shrugged and waved the paper in his hand. "No idea, it says so in the letter. Only that line and nothing else, not even a signature."

Jisoo took the letter to read it as well, but it didn't shed much light on the mystery. "Weird. But let's just wait and see what happens. He or she was pretty spot on yesterday."

Chan examined his Wielder and noticed the small smile on his face. "You don't think that person knows Jun and Hansol, do you, hyung?"

Jisoo laughed before he leaned over and lowered his voice. "No, I'm pretty sure it's a Guardian with a clairvoyance ability who's leaving those letters. That would also explain how they know the code to my locker."

"Wow, another five star. I wonder who it is?" Chan looked around as if he was waiting for someone to pop up and wave at him. "And why don't they just talk to you? Wouldn't it be easier?"

Jisoo frowned while closing his locker. "Maybe their Wielder doesn't want them to? The Guardian has to be in a contract since they can use their ability and the Wielder is probably worried about the rank getting known to the public."

"Hm, true. Should we try to find out who it is, though?" Chan asked, already looking overeager to channel his inner Sherlock, but Jisoo shook his head with a smile and patted his Guardian's shoulder.

"I don't want them to get in trouble."

Chan was visibly disappointed but consoled himself with one of the leftover brownies and the thought that he'd still keep an eye out for the unknown letter-writer, just in case.

 

Jisoo's group was already waiting when he and Chan arrived and that was reason enough for his heart to beat faster and his hands to turn clammy. Chan entangled their fingers as soon as he felt the anxiety of his Wielder rising and promised himself not to let go, regardless what the group-members would say.

Seokmin smiled brightly as soon as he noticed the couple and waved. "Hi Jisoo! We're good to go; let's do this! Oh and hi, I'm Seokmin, nice to meet you."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter