Epilogue

When The Sun Shines

 

 

"Then what's next? What happens to us? Is this our happy ending?"

Kim Sunny to the Grim Reaper

 



 

 

A pink petal falls on Sun Hee's delicate hand.

 

At the same moment, so does a tear from her eye.

 

Ah Sun Hee, stop crying. This is getting ridiculous. 

 

She wipes away her tears as she sits under the cherry blossoms, recounting everything that has happened to her. It's a miracle she's still sane; it's already been a year and half but everything is as real as it gets. Sometimes, she dreams of them at night. 

The silence of everything. however, calms her down. 

 

People from afar might wonder why actress Kim Sun Hee is crying under the tree. But Sun Hee doesn't care; right now, this is her solitary space. God knows she needs the space. 

Plus, she couldn't control the mix of emotions. 

 

Has it been more than a year? she asks herself. 

 

Another petal falls to her hand.

 

Then I am grateful.

 

Her phone rings endlessly but Sun Hee does not pay attention. It could be another casting director who's desperate to have her, but she made it clear months ago. She'll need a break and damn it if she doesn't have her break. 

Out of all the people in this world, she needs it the most. 

 

Even he would've said the same thing. 

 

Why can't I stop crying? 

 

"Are you crying again?"

 

The deep voice startles her. 

 

Opposite her, she sees a tall figure shoving his hands sheepishly inside his pockets. The sun is too bright, casting a shadow over his floppy hair. She had to cover her eyes just to see him better. 

 

"Are you making fun of me?" she asks.

 

He chuckles as he walks towards her.

 

"Of course not, Sun. I know better."

 

Sun Hee rolls her eyes as she watches Detective Lee Hyuk walk towards her with that popular cocky smile on his face. She hates how he has that power over her: he can sass the hell out of her, but she can't get annoyed as much as possible. If she does, he'll say he's popular line: "Aren't you glad I'm alive?" 

Everyday since he woke up, it's the one line he always says.

And Sun Hee's grateful. 

 

"Where have you been?" she demands, "I've been waiting for an hour already." 

He laughs as he kisses her on the cheek and sits beside her. "I'm sorry; I got caught up with work," he explains, "There's another drug bust operation and I had to explain myself."

"Did you mess up?"

"No, I beat one of the guys up."

"Why?"

"Because he reminded me of that guy," he says, emphasizing the word that, "And I hate that guy."

Sun Hee chuckles as she pinches his cheek. "Well aren't you a little too violent, Detective Lee?" 

"Careful, people might see us," he tells her. 

"God Hyuk, we're married. I think we have every license to do this."

The detective sighs. "Tell me about it. It's hard being married to you," he admits, "Do you know how many people came up to me just to ask for your autograph? I actually thought some of them were in legitimate trouble. It's bothersome."

"Well, you shouldn't have asked me to marry you so quickly," she complains, gently pushing him. He cringes as he immediately holds his aching shoulder. 

"Ouch," he moans, closing his eyes. 

She suddenly recoils, touching his wound. "Does it still hurt?" she asks, slightly panicking. It's been more than a year already, but the pain sometimes haunts Hyuk. Sun Hee wonders what kind of bullet In Sung used on him. Apparently, it was the dangerous kind -- the type that almost took his life.

He peeks with one eye and smiles. 

"Aisht, Hyuk!" she exclaims, "Don't do that!" to which he responds with laughter. 

"Sorry, Sunny."

He's doing that again.

"God Hyuk, we've been married nine months and you don't even know your wife's name," she retorts, "It's not Sunny; it's Sun Hee."

Hyuk chuckles. "Sorry, slip of tongue."

"Who the hell is Sunny anyway? Are you cheating on me?"

Her husband says nothing. He just looks at her with that knowing look that always mystefied her; it's the same look he has whenever he makes this mistake. He's been doing it ever since he woke up after he got shot. Sun Hee would ask him about it and he wouldn't say anything. That knowing smile would just spread on his face almost immediately.

"Why would I cheat on you?" he asks, "You're just a sunny person, that's why." He then flicks away the fly hovering in front of her. "Besides, did we marry so quick?"

"You barely knew me. We haven't even dated for six months; on our fourth month, we broke up. And three months after you woke up, you popped the question. Yeah, that's not quick at all."

"Well, for all you know, I could've been waiting for such a long time,"  explains the detective, running a hand through his hair, "Besides, you said yes."

 

Sun Hee shakes her head as her husband sighs contentedly, knowing that he won the conversation.

 

"I...I had to," says Sun Hee.

"What? You mean you forced yourself to marry me?"

"No, I mean...it felt right anyway," she defends her decision, "Any person who gets married that fast is crazy, but for some reason, saying yes to you felt like a long time waiting. Does that make sense?"

He wears that knowing look again. 

"Yeah it does."

"I guess I'm crazy then."

Hyuk bites his lip. "I'm afraid you are."

 

Their argument is momentarily disturbed by the sound of an excited giggle.

 

Down the hill, they spot two familiar figures loudly arguing. Squinting, Sun Hee sees a tall familiar figure walking ahead, hands in his pockets. Behind the taller figure, a smaller one runs behind him, a smile on her puffy face while she wore an incredibly red scarf. 

The taller figure turns around and sees Hyuk and Sun Hee. 

He smiles warmly at the couple, waving at them. The one following him doesn't notice as she continues to complain; only when did she bump his back did she realize what the taller figure is looking at. The girl with the red scarf looks up and follows the older one's suit, waving energetically and smiling what Sun Hee calls her "mochi smile." 

They continue down their path, arguing again.

 

"Will you ever tell me what he is?" Sun Hee asks her husband. 

Hyuk just smiles. "You'll figure out sooner than later."

"So, is he really dating So Min? I mean...how old is she?"

"She's 21, that's legal age."

"Yeah but he's like...40."

"38," corrects Hyuk, "And I don't think age matters for them. That's true love, I tell you."

 

She notices a wistful look on his face as he watches the two disappear in the distance. 

 

"Just like you and me, huh?" she teases.

Her husband takes her hand and kisses it.

 

Everything has been a whirlwind since they first met: two strangers, complete opposites at that, meet and hate each other at first. Eventually, they end up working together for her safety. The push and pull happened, the spark, the questions, followed by confessions. Then there's the traditional bad guy that comes in the form of Sun Hee's past. From a stranger's point of view, everything sounds like a drama.

But that's how life is for Sun Hee -- on screen and off the camera. 

She's just glad she gets to share the real one with the love of her life. 

 

"So, why were you crying again?" asks Hyuk, "This is the fifth time I caught you."

"Is there anything wrong with shedding tears?"

"No, you're just a perpetually happy person, Sun," he replies, "So seeing you cry off screen is weird. I mean, the last time I saw you cry like that was when I got shot. I'm wondering now if I got shot and I don't know."

The actress chuckles. 

"I'm sorry. Is the crying bothering you already?" 

"Not really. It's just worrying me sometimes," admits the detective, "Do you still get those nightmares? Of me?" He's referring to the string of unpleasant dreams she had after that kidnapping/shooting incident. 

Sun Hee touches his hand. "No, it's not that. God, that's long over," she says, "Finally."

"What is it then?"

 

The actress smiles again as she catches the falling petals. She looks at them, admiring the perfect pink shade.

 

"You'll have to endure it, Hyuk," she tells him, "For seven more months."

 

She glances at the detective who seemed taken aback with what she said. Detective Lee Hyuk's thick eyebrows scrunch in the middle, doing the math. Sun Hee waits for her husband to get it.

The light flashes in his eyes when he finally gets it. 

 

"What? What?" he blubbers, "Wait, what? Huh?"

Sun Hee confirms his suspcions by tapping her stomach. The detective, out of his blissful ecstacy, embraced his wife tightly.

"Not too tight!" she yells.

"Ah, I'm sorry," he apologizes, letting her go, "I didn't squish it, right?"

"No, but keep doing it so it can feel the love."

Sun Hee allows herself to be engulfed by her detective of a husband in a second hug, a more gentle one. He kisses the top of her head as he revels at the news.

"He was right then, Shin Jae," mentions Hyuk, "I would hear good news."

"Wait, he knows?"

 

Hyuk does not say anything anymore as he beams down at her. That look of blissful joy was something rare for someone like Lee Hyuk, but ever since he woke up, there has been a new spring to his step. And Sun Hee appreciates this new side of him, especially now that they're about to become three. 

 

"I'm so happy, Sun," he tells her, "Unbelievably happy."

She pulls him towards her, closing the space between them. The detective's wife rests his forehead on hers as she gazes at him upclose. She could see that he is beyond ecstatic. 

"So...is this our happy ending?" she asks.

He sighs joyfully.

"This isn't an ending," he says, "It's a new beginning."

 

Kim Sun smiles before she kisses her husband for the nth time, surrounded by falling petals of cherry blossoms and the sun shinning on them.

 

It's a beautiful day.

 




 

A/N: DONE. Hooray!

Ah I had to re-watch the ending of Goblin just for this. I suddenly missed the series again. Currently, I'm watching Bride of the Water God, but it doesn't have the same effect as Goblin. Truly, Mr. Goblin is irreplaceable -- him, Eun Tak, the Grim Reaper and Sunny. But as I was watching, I could still feel all the feels I had for this show and how I wish they extended it. 

But that's what fan fiction is for ;)

 

If you're wondering why the ending is short, I like it this way. How Hyuk survived, when they got married, how the Goblin fits in the story -- I leave it all to your imagination. I can write some snippets, but no promises. Life is hard haha. So you'll just have to stay updated with this fan fic because I did the same thing for my Scarlet Heart one. But for now, I think a sweet and short close is what we need for Kim Sun and Lee Hyuk. 

I'd like to thank everyone who made it till the end. 40 CHAPTERS! You've made it! I appreciate you for staying, both the regular commenters and silent readers. Thank you for encouraging me to finish what I started. It took some time (more than five months), but we're all here. Thank you, thank you so much!

 

I leave you now with the end. I hope you all find the sun in your lives!

 

Love,

 

LittleNini1994