Why Is She Like That?

When The Sun Shines

 

Detective Lee neither hated nor loved women. His good looks fooled peers and colleagues into thinking he was the type who needed a woman by his side -- whenever, wherever. But in reality, Lee Hyuk did not use his appearance to make women fall in love with him. If they did, he had nothing to do with it. Their attention, however, sometimes tested his patience. As a result, he decided that he wouldn't be that fond of the opposite -- if he could help it. 

 

He didn't hate them; he just wasn't a big fan.

 

Now, however, he was especially not happy with them. 

 

As he watched the Actress struggle in the hands of her captor, Hyuk was sorely tempted to scream at her. Why did she run after him in the first place? What kind of woman, after seeing the commotion (which was obviously a drug bust), would run towards trouble instead of away from it? 

He was so annoyed with her right now, but he wasn't in the position to get mad.

There was a knife pointed at the Kim Sun Hee's neck and if he moved a muscle, she might end up dead.

"What's it gonna be Pretty Boy?" snarled the thug, "You drop the gun or I slice Pretty Girl's neck?"

Ugh, he hated it when they called him Pretty Boy. 

He racked his brains for a solution. This was nothing new to him, but it didn't mean that he always had an answer. Hostages situations varied from one case to another. While this was no different (typical thug situation: knife in the neck, treats to kill if the officer shoots), Kim Sun Hee was still in danger. Lee Hyuk knew that the man was capable of doing what he threatened. 

After all, that suspect did kill three people so...

"Hey, why don't you just let the girl go?" he said, still not lowering his gun, "She doens't have anything to do with you."

"Oh nothing with me, but maybe with you," taunted the criminal, showing off his unpleasant teeth, "Why would she chase you?"

Kim Sun Hee struggled and fidgeted in the man's tight grasp. Detective Lee looked at her again, trying to hide his annoyance at her. It was the very same question he wanted to ask her, but now now. 

"I don't even know that woman," said Hyuk, "You're just wasting your time with her."

"Hey Detective Lee!" yelled Sun Hee, "What are you saying!?"

Damn it.

The recognition made the situation worse; Lee Hyk glared at Sun Hee for blowing his plans again. The thug smiled beadily, tightening his hold on the now super scared Sun Hee.

"Ah detective, don't you think denying a beautiful woman's existence is a greater crime?" said the suspect, caressing Sun Hee's face. The sight of it did not only disgust the actress, it also made the detective's blood boil. 

"What? Are you going to kill me?" mocked the criminal, "Let me run with Pretty Girl right now and she won't get hurt. We'll have fun, don't you worry."

It was hard for him to see Sun Hee wriggling helplessly in the criminal's grasp -- that knife so close to her neck. Detective Lee knew he had to think fast or else, she might suffer. 

He dropped the gun.

Sun Hee squealed.

"Very good detective, nice touch," said the suspect, holding Sun Hee by the arm, "Now, we'll be leaving quietly. Goodbye, Detective!"

Without another word, he dragged a scared Sun Hee away from the scene. Her eyes echoed the fear as she stared at Lee Hyuk in disbelief. As they made their way out, Detective Lee did the only thing he knew best.

He took off his size 13 shoe and threw it at the criminal's head. His baseball skills paid off and it hidt his enemy square in the head. 

"AISHT WHAT THE-"

Out of surprise, the criminal threw Sun Hee away, giving Detective Lee the way to attack. He ran at the man, grabbed him by the waist, and tackled him to the floor. But the suspect still had the knife, which he was swinging at Lee's face. The detective dodged and struggled to knock the knife out of his hands. Sun Hee, on the other hand, was screaming at the top of her lungs. She took her shoe and started to hit the man, pulling his hand to get the knife away. 

"Let go of me!" he screamed, "I'll kill you both!"

Detective Lee punched the man in the face while the suspect swiped at him. Sun Hee was pulling his hair, making him scream like a kid. 

Eventually, backup arrived, rushing to their detective's side, all pointing gun's at the suspect.

Immediately, Detective Hyuk grabbed Sun Hee, allowing his men to take charge of the scene. She clutched tightly on to him, shivering as she did, and still screaming at the man.

"YOU UGLY BAD, BAD, MAN!" she was yelling, "HOW DARE YOU HOLD AN ACTRESS LIKE THAT!? WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?!"

"Miss Kim, that's enough," said Hyuk.

"HEY DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT I CAN DO TO YOU?!" she continued, "I CAN SUE YOU! YOU'LL ROT IN JAIL!"

"Miss Kim."

"YOU GOOD FOR NOTHING SON OF A B--!"

"MISS KIM!"

Hyuk shook the woman to back to her wits. He held her shoulders and turned her to face him. She stared at him with those glassy eyes, he could see her surprise and shock. 

"Miss Kim, you've caused enough trouble already," he scolded her, "That's enough."

"But he almost killed me!"

"Because you ran after us," argued Detective Lee, "It's partly your fault!"

That rendered her speechless.

"Well...I...well," she stammered, "Wel...I...that was uncalled for--"

"Miss Kim, when you see a commotion, you don't run after it, you run AWAY from it," he said, "If you hadn't chased us, you wouldn't be in this situation." He let her go a little bit roughly and sighed, rubbing his forehead. When his fingers touched his face, he felt something wet, then a sting of pain.

"You're bleeding."

Kim Sun Hee reached out for his face with her handkerchief. Gently, she dabbed her stained handkerchief on his face, causing a momentarily pause. Neither said anything as she wiped away the blood. The Detective found himself stumped and he couldn't understand why. Was it the stinging pain? Was it because this woman almost got herself killed for being an idiot?

He snapped to his senses and snatched the handkerchief.

"Omo, what?" asked Sun Hee.

"Thank you," he said, "Please go home now."

He took the handkerchief, pressed it to his wound, and followed his team.

"HEY DETECTIVE LEE!"

Her voice rang through the night. He had the capability to ignore her, but for some reason, he stopped in his tracks and turned around. She looked absolutely furious.

"YOU!" she pointed a finger at him, "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, CALL ME."

What?

"What?"

"I gave you my number so that you call me," she told him, "CALL ME!"

And without another word, she glared at him, turned her back, and stormed off, leaving the detective confused.

 


 

The scratch still stung. He winced as he placed the nth band-aid on his face, hoping the stinging would stop. He's had plenty of them, but the pain is always new.

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, CALL ME!"

Her voice rang clearly in his head. 

"What is it with that woman?" he wondered out loud, heading towards his fridge. He grabbed a can of beer and opened it, taking the first gulp. Her face kept coming back to him -- all furious.

"I save her and everything then she gets mad?" he asked, "What the hell was that?"

He sat on his couch, still thinking about what had just happened. His phone beeped for the nth time; he opened it and swiped for messages.

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, CALL ME!"

He stared at his phone.

"Ah, that woman. She's crazy."

He held his can of beer tightly while staring at his phone.

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, CALL ME!"

"Crazy, I tell you," he murmured again, "Crazy."

He dialled.

"Crazy."

 


 

A/N: I seriously miss LDW and the rest of the Goblin cast right now.  I'm re-watching My Girl right now. His acting surely has changed, but I love him better as Mr. Grim Reaper. :D

Tell me what you think!