Save Me

When The Sun Shines

 

"No one will save you."

 

Kim Sun Hee was curled up in the backseat, her face stained with tears. She wanted to break free from her , but she was helpless to her captors. Part of her wished she could stop them; the memory of Hyuk all bloodied and unconcscious haunts her greatly. She bit her lip as she cried, praying fervently that he was okay, that he would be fine. 

Because he looked nearly dead.

I didn't want this to happen. I didn't want him to get hurt. 

She had no idea where he was taking her, but that was the least of her concerns. Hyuk didn't deserve to die; this was all of her wrongdoing. 

What was I thinking? Why did I drag him to this mess?

Part of the actress wished she never met the detective. She should've just listened to the fortune teller who said she was better off alone. Had she not been too greedy for affection, she wouldn't place the best man on earth and his life on the line. Perhaps, she was better off with the scum who took her. 

"Sun, stop your crying."

How he said it, you'd think it was so easy for her. 

A rough hand held her shoulder and forced her to sit up. She tried to resist, but he was too strong for her. He grabbed her roughly, directing her body to sit straight even though she wanted nothing but to slump. Seeing his face upclose made her want to vomit. 

"Don't touch me."

"Stop being stubborn, Sun."

She glared at him.

"How can I not be stubborn?" she spat, "You left him like that!"

The gangster looked ahead. "He doesn't deserve to live," he replied casually, "He hunted me down, hunted my business. And he stole you. What's the point?"

"He's a person!"

"He's a robber."

"HE'S NOT A ROBBER!" screamed Sun Hee, "I TOLD YOU NOT TO TOUCH HIM! I LEFT HIM SO YOU'D STOP BOTHERING HIM! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?!"

"BECAUSE YOU ARE MINE!" he screamed back, grabbing her by the neck, "YOU CANNOT BELONG TO SOMEONE ELSE."

His eyes were too crazed for a normal person. Sun Hee, barely breathing, stared at him in fear. Go In Sung was too obsessed by her, he wasn't willing to let her go anymore. He went to great lengths just to find her again. If he was the same as before (or probably worse), Sun Hee wasn't going anywhere. Her tears started to fall again as she choked in his grasp.

"Let...me...go...please," she begged.

"Why?"

"I...I..."

"You want to go back to him?"

The memory of a bloodied Hyuk haunted her once again.

"Yes."

His grip on her neck tightened. 

"You...are not going back to him," he whispered viciously, "You will stay with me. You left me and now you're back to me." 

She struggled, but he was stronger.

"How...could you leave me like that and want to leave me again?" he asked, "You're not going anywhere, Sun. You're not."

"Do you hear me? You're not going to leave me again."

He pulled her closer.

"Never."

The car sped faster than the usual rate. Sun Hee had no idea where he was taking her, but she could still feel her heart racing. She knew it was going to be the end, anyway, but she didn't expect he would drag Hyuk along. In Sung would still not let go of her neck and she couldn't breathe anymore. As another tear rolled down her cheek, Sun Hee closed her eyes. 

If this is it, it's okay.

For a second, she remembered Hyuk again -- his beautiful smile, his deep voice.

If he's gone, I'll follow. 

We'll be okay.

The car entered a tunnel.

We will be okay. 

 

Then the lights went out.

 

Is it over?

 

But she still had control over her mind.

Sun Hee opened her eyes and realized that she was in the middle of darkness. She knew they entered a tunnel, but she remembered seeing plenty of lights inside. 

"What happened?" 

She could feel Go In Sung's fingers loosening their grip. 

"Sir, the lights went out."

"Then what the hell are you doing driving without lights?"

The driver fidgeted with his buttons. "I...I think the car's lights are broken, sir."

Sun Hee looked around. She could still hear the other cars behind them; odd enough, their lights weren't on either. 

"Did you not check them before we left?" demanded In Sung, who was also looking around, "Don't tell me the others forget to check their cars. You're not all idiots, are you?"

"But sir, even...the tunnel's lights went out."

"So? I don't care. Keep driving!"

The driver was astounded with his boss' order yet still nodded at the demand. Sun Hee's limited vision could see him trying to feel his way; the car was already slowing down.

"What are you doing? Why are you slowing down?" demanded In Sung, "Drive faster!"

"I can't!" exclaimed the panicked driver.

"What do you mean you can't?"

 

Then, the explosion happened. 

 

Up ahead the tunnel, something exploded before their very eyes. Sun Hee bowed her head and covered her ears as explosions began -- each one more defeaning than the other. Despite the explosions, she could still hear In Sung demanding the driver to go on. 

Is he crazy? she thought.

When she looked up, she saw that the tunnel was still pitch dark, but the sound of explosions continued. 

"What in the world is happening?"

The car halted and so did the others behind them. Inside, Sun Hee, In Sung, and the driver were frozen. Sun Hee could feel the hairs on her arms stand as they gazed into the darkness. Her hands held tightly on the plush chair in front of her. Beside her, she could feel In Sung stoic and trying to keep his cool. Her heart pounded wildly against her chest. 

 

A single light went on at the end of the tunnel.

 

"What is that?"

 

Sun Hee slowly peeked from the backseat, trying to see what In Sung could. 

 

From afar, she spotted two shadows advancing from the end. A bright light shone behind, but they couldn't see the figures' faces. She couldn't explain the feeling, but her heart continued to beat wildly; was it out of fear? The figures continued to walk and as they came closer, Sun Hee could only see how tall both of them were. They were still faceless.

Were they aliens?

"What are you waiting for?" came In Sung's voice, "Why don't you run them over?"

"But sir..."

"RUN THEM OVER!"

The scared driver couldn't resist his boss' demands. With a shaky hand, he turned off the breaks and stepped on the gas, slowly but surely. 

"DO IT FASTER!"

The car's tires screeched as they headed towards the unknown figures. Sun Hee's fingers dug to the fabric of the seat as she watched in fear. They quickly advanced towards the shadows; she could smell the gas. She closed her eyes and her ears; Sun Hee didn't want to hear anyone's death anymore. 

There was a crash.

Violently, she was jolted up from the seat, hitting her head. In Sung was also thrown off from his seat violently. He was shoved to the front part of the car while the driver, due to the violent impact, ended up unconscious. He hit his head against the broken shards of glass, explaining the blood from his crop of hair. Sun Hee was still in a daze, her head also hurt.

But her vision was intact.

 

Opposite them, a tall figure stood in front of the car. The light behind him was brighter, but Sun Hee could see a face. 

Without warning, she spoke out of her senses.

 

"Brother?"

 

And a tear rolled down her cheek.

 

The tall figure had floppy hair and the face of a man. Sun Hee thought he looked familiar; has she seen him somewhere?

He stood in front of the car, almost as if he was the cause of the crash. Hands behind his back, the man gazed at her. He looked at her with familiarity, like he knows who she is. Sun Hee, still in shock, couldn't take her eyes off this man. Who was he? 

"Aisht," groaned Go In Sung, finally regaining himself, "What the hell was that--?"

Then he also spots the man. 

"Who...the hell are you?" he screams.

Silence.

In Sung reaches for his phone to call the men behind them, but he found it dead. 

The silent man spoke.

 

"No one will help you."

 

Before Sun Hee could react, the doors flew open, crashing to each side of the tunnel. She scrunched up out of fear, her mind wondering about this man. Was he a friend or foe? Was he death in another form?

Another figure appeared by her side of the door. Immediately, she backed away, screaming and turning away.

"Don't come closer! Don't come closer!"

A large hand reached out for her shoulders. She struggled, trying to get away. But the hand was persistent.

 

"Sun Hee."

 

That voice was all too familiar. 

She turned around.

 

The blinding light covered him, so his face was invisible. But as Sun Hee's eyes got used to the light, the features started to gain prominence: the nose, those dark eyes, and those bloody red lips.

"HYUK!"

He didn't look like he was beaten up hours ago. His face was flawless, not one bruise or bloodied wound on the surface. The unknown light made him look like an angel. 

Immediately, he wrapped her arms around her as she broke down. 

"Sun Hee," he said. 

"How...how?" she asked, touching his face, "How? You...you were..."

"Nearly dead, I know," he answered, "But I'll explain later. Right now, we have to get you out of here."

 

"YOU!!"

 

In Sung's frustrated scream echoed throughout the tunnel. He was about to lunge for Hyuk when the latter's reflexes came in. Hyuk quickly threw Sun Hee out of the way as In Sung came for him with a knife. Before the gangster could stab him, Hyuk ducked and threw him off to the other side of the tunnel, rendering him unconscious. From afar, they could hear the furious roar of In Sung's men coming their way. 

Desperately, Sun Hee run towards Hyuk.

"We have to go," she told him, "They'll kill you."

 

"That won't be necessary."

 

Another deep voice broke the reverie. Sun Hee turned her attention to the tall stranger with floppy hair who stood behind Hyuk. He gazed at the coming crowd with a blank expression on his face. He then looked down at Hyuk and Sun Hee, extending a hand to both of them. 

"You sure?" asked Hyuk as he takes the stranger's hand and gets up. He extends his hand to Sun Hee. 

She looked at him. 

"What's going on?"

The detective smiled at her, helping her to get up. 

"It's crazy," he said, "But not now."

"You'll understand later, Sun," assured the stranger. Both Hyuk and Sun Hee stared at him.

"How did you know my name?"

"How do you know her name?"

The man chuckled. "Now is not the time for questions," he returned his gaze to the coming group, "It's time to teach these people a lesson first." In an instant, he produced a large sword in his hand, astounding Sun Hee. She glanced at Hyuk in fear, hoping he shared her shock. To her surprise, he was calm as a cucumber, his hand firmly around her as he stared at the other man with confidence. 

He looked at Sun Hee.

"We'll be okay."

And she trusted him. 

As the men lunged towards them, Hyuk and the stranger faced them head on. The Gangnam detective ed her aside as he jumped high to meet his opponents. 

 

From where she sat, Sun Hee was a witness to the battle. 

 

The stranger's sword did things she didn't know were earthly possible. He struck, but no blood came out. He hit three men at once, all of them bouncing off from an unknown force. He advanced towards them with such menace, but one Sun Hee could trust. His familiarity still did not a ring a bell nor did her calling him "Brother" make any sense at all. But she was too distracted with watching the fight unfold before her eyes. 

Hyuk, on the other hand, looked stronger than he did. How he recovered was still a mystery to her. He kicked and punched with such precision, the image of him helpless hours ago seems so distant now. 

He was a new man. 

 

One of the men came after her, running with a pipe. Sun Hee immediately got to her feet, arms up in self-defense and ready to take a blow.

 

An invisible force, however, pushed the man away.

 

Sun Hee looked and saw the man with a sword extend his hand towards the coming seige. Eyes fixed on them, he summoned strange powers to shove them away. 

Once he did, he glanced at her. 

It felt familiar, how this man looked at her. In the middle of the chaos, she racked her brains for memories of him -- if she's seen him somewhere. He seemed strange (if that sword and that thing he does wasn't weird enough), but she couldn't explain why she felt so connected with him. 

Her view of him was disrupted by Hyuk suddenly appearing in front of her.

"C'mon," he said, helping her get up, "We have to run."

"Where?"

"To the other side."

Without wasting another moment, Sun Hee got up on her feet, grabbed unto Hyuk, and started running. She could hear the coming of others, but she did not fear. Seeing Hyuk's friend behind them, following, it gave her a sense of security.

The end of the tunnel seemed so far.

"Where are we going?"

"Just keep running!"

"Hyuk, there's still plenty of them!" she exclaimed, glancing at the coming crowd. 

He looked at her. "Do you trust me?"

"Hyuk, I -- "

"Do you?"

She gulped.

"Yes."

"Then keep running!"

His hand closed around hers, Sun Hee kept running. She closed her eyes, waiting for the gunshots to start.

 

"FREEZE!"

 

When she opened her eyes, the bright light at the end of the tunnel blinded her; she saw nothing but shadows. Her brain panicked; were there more of them? She felt Hyuk stop, she panicked even more. What was he thinking?

"DROP YOUR WEAPONS OR WE WILL SHOOT!"

It took a second before Gook Doo's voice registered in Sun Hee's mind. She opened her eyes and realized In Sung's gang was not at the end of the tunnel; instead, she saw the familiar faces of the men from the Gangnam station. Gook Doo lead the line, gun out and all, pointing at the coming men. The entire group of police had their guns out, aiming for the enemy.

Sun Hee almost collapsed in Hyuk's arms, very grateful at their appearance. She turned around to look at the stranger.

 

He was gone.

 

Wait, what?

 

"DROP ALL WEAPONS NOW!" came Gook Doo's commanding tone.

Immediately, the men dropped their pipes and weapons of choice as the Gangnam police station advanced towards them, Hyuk kept a firm hold on Sun Hee as the police went after the thugs, arresting as many as they could. Gook Doo approached them, asking Hyuk how he was doing. The latter said nothing more but just asked his friend to search the rest of the tunnel.

"Get all of them," he answered, "I'll be fine."

"You didn't sound fine when the signal went out," said Gook Doo, tapping Hyuk, "You can tap out of this one. We'll take charge."

As the men poured in the tunnel, all Sun Hee could do was stay still. She was too tired -- phyiscally and mentally. Everything that happened seemed like a blur; if Hyuk didn't hold her, she was close to passing out. But the sight of the good guys hunting down the rest of the gang meant one thing: it was over. For real. 

 

"Sun Hee?"

 

Hyuk's voice brought her back again.

The mere fact that he was standing in front of her was already weird on its own. She still had plenty of questions: where was the man? Who was that man? What just happened? How did you get back on your feet? But she was too tired to say anything. Instead, she just looked at him, grateful to the heavens that someone out there heard her prayers. 

He pulled her closer, resting his chin on her hair. 

"Are you okay?" he asked.

She just nodded and looked up at him. 

"I'm....so glad," she stammered, "You're okay."

He pulled her again, kissing the top of her head. From where they stood, they watched as the team apprehended the men, putting handcuffs and shoving them into the waiting police cars. Sun Hee wondered if they were enough, but she was grateful it was all about to end.  She buried her face in Hyuk's chest, inhaling the scent of him. 

 

"NO!"

 

A furious yet hauntingly familiar scream broke her peace.

 

Followed by a gun shot.

 

Before Sun Hee could react, Hyuk was already on the ground.

 



 

A/N: Hey guys. Me again. Sorry it took some time, but here it is. I've been very busy recently and updating this fic has been such a struggle, but I always stick to my promise of finishing what I started. So, here's the second to the last chapter (I think) of When the Sun Shines. I can't believe it took me nearly five months to finish this, but it's been an incredible journey with you guys! 

 

I can't wait for Bride of the Water God, though. Live up to your standards, TvN!