Who Are You

When The Sun Shines

A/N: Little advertisement: helping out this new user named IGotJams95 (such a sweetheart really). If you like BTS, Jimin, and V, you might want to read her fic "Star-Crossed." It's got reincarnation and Vmin so...why not, right?

 


 

 

"...a burner phone, what did you expect?"

Hyuk sighed frustratedly as he stood up from his desk, rubbing his forehead. Gook Doo sensed his colleague's annoyance, but there was nothing they could do anyway. All he could do was stare at the detective.

"This is getting more complex than I thought," remarked Gook Doo, "Annoying how things should be easy but end up getting more complicated."

"It should be easy to trace this guy," said Hyuk, "How on earth?"

Gook Doo bit on his pen. "This stalker is way too smart."

Hyuk threw his can of coffee a little too strongly; it clanged violently at the bottom of the trash can, startling Gook Doo and the rest of the station. But Hyuk was too annoyed to notice.

"Hey, calm down."

He glared at Gook Doo. "I can't," he admitted, "This person was in close proximities with my house. He could've killed anyone; he could've gotten Sun Hee. He was close."

"Yeah, but he didn't do anything," argued Gook Doo, "I think it'd be better if you keep a clear head and think about your next step." He then took the photo resting on Hyuk's desk, the photo of him and Sun Hee in bed. "We can start by dusting these for prints."

"There's none."

Gook Doo sighed. "God, he's that thorough, huh?"

Hyuk ran a hand through his hair, racking his brains for any idea. He was too distracted, however, by the fact the stalker got close to him, Sun Hee, and the family. It was so infuriating; how could someone dare to do that?

The detective glanced at the photo again, staring at the angry red scrawl.

The claim on Sun Hee was too intense in Hyuk's opinion. The countless "You are mine" declarations suggested two things: he was deranged or he must know Sun Hee.

For some reason, he didn't know how he came up with the second theory. But judging the intensity of claims, it felt like...the stalker knew her. Not in a way a fan would know the actress, but in a way that --

"Hey, I'm going out to buy some noodles," announced Gook Doo, breaking his trail of thought, "You want anything?"

Hyuk glanced at his colleague then at the paper again. Things were getting more dangerous than he thought; if he wasn't fast enough, who knows what could happen? And he couldn't risk that.

 


 

Sun Hee was so exhausted, all she could do was throw herself on the bed and wish for sleep to come. The day was filled with enough comings and goings already: photo shoots, shooting, and interviews. She was so tired, she just wanted to turn off the world. If only that was possible.

The actress flipped to her side and closed her eyes. 

The memory of Hyuk's face when he showed her that photo came back to her head, jolting her awake.

 

"What the hell is this? Who would do this?"

 

No one could subdue Hyuk's silent fury. He didn't threw a fit, but he was so bent on finding out who did it. That was how their morning began that Saturday in Busan. He woke up everyone in the house, warning them about a stranger who was surveying them from afar. At first, Sun Hee thought it was probably a nosy neighbor, but when she saw the photo, she froze.

It was of her and him in bed with the words' SHE'S MINE written on it.

Everyone in the household was shaken with the photo. The mother suggested calling the police while Jin Hae held on to her. Ha Neul rolled up his sleeves, furious that someone dared to invade their home's privacy but Hyuk's anger was more worrisome. He said nothing, but she could see it in his eyes that he was very angry. 

They didn't call the cops that day; although Hyuk did ask some of his colleagues to check out their house while he and Sun Hee headed back. He was so silent while he drove, not bothering to talk about what happened. His silence spoke volumes, which scared Sun Hee to her wits.

Which brings her back to now. 

 

He told her not to worry and that he'll tell Gook Doo all about it (after all, he was in charge), but he did say that he would be unreachable for the rest of the day. 

"But if you notice anything dodgy, call me," he said. She wasn't even able to reply. He kissed her on the forehead and scurried away, leaving the actress all flustered. 

 

Any girlfriend would've been nervous for different reasons. In her case, people who know would expect her to worry about two things: her safety from a rabid fan and her boyfriend's safety as he tries to track down her rabid fan. She could've told that to people who wondered why she seemed dazed today. They noticed that she was often distracted; she could've said that.

But if she did, she'd be lying.

She had already been lying for a long time already. 

 

Could it be him? she wondered, It can't be right? 

 

He's dead.

 



 

There was merriment wherever anyone went; it was a dark place filled with secrets. Dark as it was, it was also anyone's safe place. 

The Lounge saw many comings and goings of people -- the ones others would call "sketchy" in the outside world. But as long as they were in the confinements of the Lounge, no one could get to them. Everyone raised their glasses, mocking the morality of the world above, rejoicing in the wrongdoings -- the glory of it all. Nothing could stop them.

Everyone was above everyone.

A young man lazily stirred his glass of liquor, looking around and waiting for someone. 

"Hey there, Boss!" greeted one of the men in the Lounge, "I was looking for you."

"Not now."

"But the deal -- ?"

"I know that," said the young man, "But not now."

The older man seemed affronted with the younger one's lack of interest, but chose not to pester him anymore. Anyone would've thought it was strange for an older man to have such respect for a rude young man, but no one bothered to ask. It was The Lounge. 

The younger man was too distracted with his waiting to notice the others who approached him. He brushed them off, looking around.

Finally, she came.

"You're here!" he exclaimed.

A young woman, stunningly beautiful, silenced much of the crowd when she entered. She was still young then, but she was capable of turning heads with each step. She flipped her long her behind her, eyes nailed at the young man. With an excited squeal, she ignored the other's stares and ran towards him, all giddy and excited.

"You said you had good news?" she asked. The man invited her to sit down on the plush couch, which she obliged. He wrapped an arm around her.

"I got you the modelling job," he said.

She squealed with excitement.

"You did?"

"Yeah, you're going big babe!"

Her hands covered as she tried to conceal her excitement. She couldn't believe it. 

"I had to pull some strings but at least your first step is here, babe," said the young man, "I'll pull more strings so you'll get bigger."

"No, this is a good start," she said, "No need anymore. I'm okay. Oh my god. I'm going to be a model. Oh my god!"

The man enveloped her in a hug; he looked at her, ignoring the rest of The Lounge. She looked back at him and saw that he was truly fascinated with her, just as he alwasy had been since Day 1. 

"But you're still going to be mine even if you're famous right?"

For some reason, she didn't answer. She just succumbed to his embrace.

 



 

Sun Hee woke up with a start. 

 

She sat up immediately and felt that she was sweating profusely. Her eyes looked for the clock and saw that it was only 1 in the morning. Her hand automatically touched her chest, feeling her rapidly beating heart. It was pounding wildly against her chest. But nothing was more painful than what was just in her head. 

No, it can't be, she thought, That's impossible. It's just a bad dream.

They said dreams didn't last long, but Sun Hee could remember everything. That meant that this wasn't a dream.

It was a memory.

It can't be him. It can't be...he's gone.

Her head throbbed at the memory. She didn't want to remember it; if it were possible, she wanted to forget. But the past was catching up with her and for a second, her heart dropped.

Could it be something related to the stalker?

No, don't think that. 

She didn't want it to be that. Countless reasons could fuel her want to forget, to say no: 1) it would be dangerous, 2) it means digging up her past, 3) and she could face him once again when she said she'd never. But these reasons were nothing compared to the one on her mind: she didn't want Hyuk to find out. If it was him, then her boyfriend would have to know about Kim Sun, not Kim Sun Hee.

She clutched her aching chest.

Pray it's not him. It can't be him, she told herself, If it's him...you never know.

 


 

"We've gone through the list of suspects, none of them could be it."

 

Hyuk sipped his bitter coffee, scrunching his eyebrows as he thought long and hard about today's comings and goings. He had just finished a 12-hour shift and to be honest, he was exhausted. He wanted nothing more than to shut his eyes and mind, forget about everything, and go to sleep. But the mountain of cases plus one that invovled his girlfriend didn't make the job so easy. 

He was still racking his brains for anyone with a motive for Sun Hee's case. 

Gook Doo came up with the idea that it could be one of her fans, but Hyuk thought it was too possessive. Gook Doo did say there was a chance she had a psychopathic fan, but the other detective wasn't too convinced. He couldn't explain it, this feeling he had. 

Something told him this was something more than a crazy fan.

"Hyuk?"

 

The detective looked up and saw Sun Hee walking towards him, all wrapped up in two layers, a scarf, a cap, and a mask. Despite the cover up, her eyes gave her away to him. She sat down, looking around, before she took off her mask.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, "Aren't you supposed to go home?"

"I was about to ask you the same thing," she responded, placing down her cup of coffee, "I couldn't go home because I'm not tired yet. I didn't know I'd see you here."

"You don't want  to?"

"I said I didn't know, not didn't want," she corrected him, then she smiled, "I'm glad, actually."

He had a long hard day; Hyuk could barely smile. Instead, he just looked at her, silently appreciating her presence as she added two packs of sugar into her coffee, sipping and commenting it was too bitter for her. He gave her two extra packs, whichs she used immediately. Her beauty was enough reason for obsession, but did she deserve it?

"How was work?" she asked.

He sighed. "Two drug busts, one interrogation," he informed her, "And still no luck with your stalker."

She looked at him.

"Should that be your priority?" she asked, "Isn't Gook Doo in charge?"

Hyuk was still confounded with how Sun Hee reacted to the whole thing. She was always as calm as a cucumber, a far cry from her initial responses during the first phases of the stalker. It's like she didn't care at all.

"Yeah, he is," answered Hyuk, "But you're my girlfriend. I need to know, right?"

She gazed at him worriedly. "You're stressing yourself out too much," she said, "I'd like it better if you had enough rest."

"You could help me."

"How?"

"By telling me if you have any suspicions."

She busied herself with her coffee. "Well, I think it's a fan," she said, "That's why I'm not sure you should make a big deal out of it."

Not make a big deal?

"Sun Hee, I don't think that's wise," said Hyuk, "Fan or not, this person is crazy. He went to great lenghts just to reach you; he even sent me a phone. This means this person watches your every move. Doesn't that bother you?"

"It does, but I don't want you worrying over it."

He looked at her. "How can I not?" he asked, "It involves you."

Sun Hee dropped her stirrer and stared at him. Hyuk still could not believe she was so calm with her situation. 

"That's touching and I appreciate it, Hyuk. Really," she said, "But if you want me to feel better, please don't get too involved. I'm begging you here. If this guy is dangerous, I don't want your name dragged into the mud. Let Gook Doo and the others take charge." She reached out to touch his hand. "Please, I've dragged enough peopple in this mess."

Hyuk couldn't think of a proper response. 

"Your mess is my mess," he then replied, "I can't just leave this Sun Hee. You know I can't."

She removed her hands and sighed. Hyuk sensed that she was disappointed for some reason; his detective training gave him such sharp instincts. But he couldn't understand why she'd feel that way. Was she that concerned with his safety? If so, why?

"Hyuk, I...I don't want you to get hurt."

"I don't have to."

"But you might."

Her voice faltered. He noticed that.

"Sun Hee?"

"Yes?"

Hyuk gazed at her intently. 

"Is there something you want to tell me?"

She had been fidgety the entire time she sat down in front of him. He also noticed how her eyes flitted sometimes, showing signs that she was nervous or hiding something. She could be tired, but Hyuk's years in the station taught him a thing or two. 

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know. I feel like you want to tell me something."

She smiled at him. "Are you going all detective on me?" she asked, "Because it's a bad way of flirting."

"I know, but it's not a flirting technique and I already know what works on you."

"What a bragger."

He scoffed and smiled at her, before going back to serious mode. "Are you sure you don't want to tell me anything?"

He watched Sun Hee as she stirred her cup of coffee, taking a sip. She smiled at him with those red lips. "Nothing," she said, "Unless you want me to go on about how I missed you a lot because that's the only thing you're going to get." Her cheeks flushed at what she said and she busied herself again with her coffee. 

The detective himself was flustered with his girl's little attempts at flirting. But he couldn't miss the fact that Sun Hee stealthily dodged his question.

He chose not to pursue it further, however.

 


 

He's starting to ask questions. 

 

Sun Hee couldn't shake the feeling of fear as she stepped out of her cab. The mere fact that Hyuk sensed she was hiding something completely freaked her out. It was all thanks to her incredible acting skills that she managed to get away; otherwise, she might've lost it in front of him. She swore she felt cold sweat break when he asked her. 

Oh my god. Does he have any idea?

He didn't bother to ask her anymore after that. Hyuk asked her about her day, they flirted here and there, she fed him some pasta -- the night went off without a hitch. When he volunteered to take her home, she refused because his eyes looked so bloodshot, he needed the rest. He didn't have the strength to fight back because she had to order a cab for him too. 

Sun Hee couldn't bear the idea of Hyuk finding out. She'd rather die if he did, but there wasn't any confirmation of her suspicions yet. She was still hoping she was dead wrong.

The actress paid for her cab and bid the driver good night before she walked up to her apartment's main gate. As usual, her mail box was loaded with gifts and baskets from fans. She took what she could and keyed in the door. She hoped she brought Jin Hae with her, but Sun Hee thought the alone time was much better. She had time to think.

Should I tell him? But if it's not him, then Hyuk would know about everything for nothing. 

As she struggled to open her apartment door, one of the presents fell from her arms. 

"Great," she said, sighing. The actress gently set down the other gifts to retrieve the fallen present when it rang, surprising her. 

The small box was ringing and lighting, flustering Sun Hee. If she didn't answer it immediately, the neighbors would be disturbed by the ringing noise. As she ripped the box open, she couldn't help but curse at the fan who gave her this. This was the fifth time she received a phone as a fan gift; it started out cute but it got annoying eventually. 

She threw aside the top and got out the pink phone.

Someone was calling it.

Ugh, probably the fan.

Without wasting another time, she flipped it open to answer.

"Hi, I know you're a fan," she said, "But I'd appreciate it if you don't -- "

The disturbing breathing noises made her stop.

It was so freaky, it made her skin crawl.

 

"Hello?" she asked.

 

Silence.

 

"Did you miss me?" 

 


 

A/N: Hi guys, sorry if I haven't been updating as much. Times have been tough for this author-nim :( Apart from nursing extreme PCD from the Bangtan Boys, I'm struggling with sadness lately. I know this isn't supposed to be an outlet for that kind of stuff, but just letting you know that it happens. Writing is one of the ways I cope, but it's getting hard these days. :( Hoping you guys are happiers because you deserve it.

Is the stalker the purple tongue guy? many of you asked.

Nope. Haha. That's all I'm going to say.

Enjoy!