Why Doesn't He Call?

When The Sun Shines

 

"I'll have another round of wine."

The waiter was obviously stunned by her, but not because of her job. If he knew who she was, he wouldn't have called her "babe" or would have never asked what her name was in the first place. She was pretty sure he had no right to call her babe anyway. 

She checked out her phone instead, pretending he didn't exist. 

The waiter took down her order, winking as he did, much to her annoyance. But she was used to this treatment -- being admired for her beauty, not for her talent.

"Ah Kim Sun Hee, you vixen," friend Jin Hae, who was busy finishing her glass of wine, "You've managed to charm the nth waiter tonight. Do this more often and maybe he'd be willing to pick the tab for us."

Sun Hee glared at her friend. 

"It would've been much better if he knew me as the actress," she replied, opening her phone, "Not as the 'babe.'" 

"Ah Sun Hee, you're just starting out in the field. Did you think you'd be Park Shin Hye or Suzy?"

"I'm not just starting out, I've been an actress for four years already," argued Sun Hee, taking a bite off her expensive sandwich, "Ever since I got in the industry, I've been waiting for my big break. But for the past four years, I'm always casted on the side -- if I'm not the backup, I could be the mistress who dies, Pretty Girl Number 5, or model who walks the runway but is blurred from the scene."

"But this criminal drama you have, it's sort of a big thing, right?"

"Yeah, it is," answered Sun Hee, checking her phone again, "If I do this role right, my casting manager said I might earn bigger roles."

"But a detective...that's so not you," commented Jin Hae, "I can't believe you landed that role!"

Jin Hae's voice sort of annoyed her, but before Sun Hee could comment, the waiter came back and set her drink, smiling sleazily at her. She just ignored his advances and opened her phone again for the nth time.

"What's with the constant phone checking?" asked Jin Hae, "You've been doing that over and over again." She then realized what her friend was waiting for. 

"He hasn't texted, has he?"

"HE HASN'T CALLED!"

The banging of the wine glass matched with Sun Hee's furious exclamation startled nearby guests. But the actress didn't care.

As another waiter came to the table to clean up the mess, Sun Hee couldn't help but open her phone again, hoping that he would at least text her. She didn't leave him her number so that he could just disregard it. Since she the world was stomped by her feet, Sun Hee was always chased by men. Her phone wouldn't stop ringing due to calls and texts from men who wanted her attention.

And there was this guy...The Detective, she calls him. 

 

He hasn't even bothered to call her.

 


 

(Three Weeks Ago)

 

"...and remember to flip the arm like this," he was saying as he demonstrated a dummy, "When you're about to arrest someone outside of a car."

Detective Lee Hyuk flipped open the handcuff and placed it on his pretend suspect's hand. Once the lock clicked, he flipped it around again so effortlessly, clueless to the fact that his student was no longer listening. 

This was her fifth session with him and Sun Hee still couldn't get over the fact that he was incredibly handsome. Here he was, wearing a simple v-neck shirt and denim jeans, but he still looked good-looking -- better than the actors she came across before. 

It didn't help that he had such a quiet and cool demanor too.

"...remember that, alright Miss Kim?"

She didn't answer.

"Miss Kim?"

His deep voice commanded her attention. She immediately snapped out of it.

"Ah, yes," she said, pretending to know,  "I get it. I understand."

The detective removed the handcuffs quickly and looked at her with his signature gaze. She was breathless at the sight of his thick eyebrows and those gorgeous eyes. At first, she didn't believe he was Korean, because he didn't look like one of them. Exaggerated really, but she thought his face might've been chiseled by the deity himself. 

The past weeks with this handsome detective were the highlight of her job. She always looked forward to her coaching sessions with him, albeit that she always did the talking. He was a man of few words, so whenever he did talk, it was such a magical thing. Sun Hee couldn't explain the feeling, but she was undeniably drawn to him.

He looked around the set and sighed.

"I guess that's everything," he said, "I taught you the basics for your first scenes so, I guess my work is done."

"You mean your work is done for today?"

He pocketed the handcuff and got out his phone, browsing for messages. "No, I meant that my work for this drama is done," he said, "The director said I'm only needed until today. I have a special case to attend to, so they'll send another detective to act as a consultant."

"WHAT?!"

She exclaimed so loud, she startled everyone on the set, including the detective. Immediately, Sun Hee realized her mistake and coughed.

"I mean...what?" she said, "You mean...you're never coming back here?"

"Nope," he answered, "Someone else will take my job, so , I guess I wouldn't have the time to drop by anymore."

She was annoyed that he seemed relieved. Did he not enjoy the past weeks with her? Sure, he didn't laugh a lot nor did he even ask her out (she still couldn't understand how he had the nerve to say no to her), but sometimes, Sun Hee would see him cracking a smile or two. When he felt gracious, he would tell stories about his work at the station. 

Was he that desperate to get out of the set?

"That's...sad," said Sun Hee, containing her disappointment, "So, you won't be dropping by occassionally?"

He smiled at her (it was her favorite one -- the crooked Detective smile). "Why would I?" he asked, "I don't have business here anymore."

That was true; anyone could see that Detective Lee's job was done on the set. Sun Hee, however, couldn't bear thought of not seeing him . It was crazy, but it was how she felt. She just had to see that chiseled face of his. 

"It has been a pleasure coaching you, Miss Kim," he said politely, extending a hand in that rigid manner he does, "I hope you do well in your drama."

He has always been like that: too polite, too formal, too respectful. Sun Hee was annoyed that he didn't show the slightest awe or even signs of flirting. Not to brag or anything, but she knew she had that effect on people -- both men and women. She knew her capability of stunning others and for most of her life, she believed no one was safe from it.

Apparently, the detective was.

He was waiting for her to shake his hand back. Sun Hee stared at it and slowly, handed hers, obliging a friendly handsake between them. She could feel every callous on his large hand -- byproducts of his hard work. Detective Lee Hyuk, the handsome consultant from the violent crimes unit, was finally saying goodbye to her.

She couldn't allow it.

"Give me your phone," she said.

"What?"

"Just give it."

Detective Lee stared at her, confused. "Are you robbing me, Miss Kim?" he asked.

"No, silly," she said, grabbing his phone, "I'm going to change your life." She started typing. 

"By stealing my phone?" 

Sun Hee re-checked the number. "By stealing your phone and putting my number in it," she answered. She tossed him his hand phone, which he expertly caught without batting an eyelash (cause detective reflexes). He saw what she put on his contacts. 

"You want me to call you?" he asked.

"Yes," she answered, "Just in case I need help."

"Why didn't you get mine?"

She winked at him. "Because I don't call first," she told him. With a flick of her hair, Sun Hee smiled at him, hoping that for this last time, he'd be charmed by her. She desperately wanted him to be. 

And without another word, she left.

Because she should always be the first to leave,

 


 

Sun Hee grabbed the stem of her second wine glass tighter at the memory.

It's been three weeks already and not a peep from the detective. He was the first man to not even text her once she gave him her number; not even a "Hi!" or "Hello!" Nothing at all. And she wasn't a big fan of his replacement (a stocky, square jawed hoobae who seemed too startstrucked with her). Seeing the replacement detective only made her miss him more.

"Face it Sun Hee, you just can't accept the fact that not everyone's enchanted by you," said her friend, "That's a good thing."

"How is that a good thing?"

"It's a good thing for women like me," remarked Jin Hae, raising her glass before taking a sip.

Sun Hee shook her head as she watched the others socialize with one another. She was sorely tempted to open her phone again, but she stopped herself. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes.

He's not going to call.

"Ahh, life can be such a big joke sometimes," she sighed, eating some of the chips, "You think you have it all, but really...you don't."

She tried to erase that detective's face from her brain. There were plenty of men out there, anyway; why should she be hung up on this one detective? He was just a detective anyway. A detective who looked like an angel hiding tons of secrets; a detective who rarely smiled and when he did, it was like 24K magic. When he held her hand to show her a move, it was like Cloud 9.

The sudden burst of a door interrupted her thoughts.

Suddenly, there was shouting and chasing inside the bar and lounge. A group of men barged into the bar and were running away from another group of men. Some were already caught in the fight, pushing each other on tables as guests dived out of the way. From what they could see, a group of men in black were chasing rich-looking strangers in sophisticated clothes.

"What's going on?" asked Jin Hae, standing up.

Sun Hee tried to peak at the commotion, but one of the men in black ran past her, bumping into her and causing her to fall. She landed roughly on her rear end, dropping her second glass of wine. Out of anger, she stood up, forgetting the commotion.

"HEY!" she screamed, "YOU JERK!"

The culprit stopped in his tracks and turned around.

 

That face chiseled by the gods was hard not to miss.

 

Detective Lee still looked as handsome as ever despite being frazzled and sweaty. She froze at the sight of him, just as he froze at the sight of her. It had been three weeks since she last saw him; seeing his face was like seeing the light.

"Detective! They're getting away!"

The call broke their reverie. Before Sun Hee could say anything, the Detective gave her one last look before running away to catch a thug, leaving Sun Hee in her frozen state. She watched as he disappeared through the crowd.

And he was gone.

"Ahh Sun Hee!" exclaimed Jin Hae, rushing to her aid, "Are you okay? Are you bruised?"

"Sun Hee? Hello? Hello?"

Jin Hae was confounded with Sun Hee's frozen state.

"Sun Hee?"

 

Without thinking, Sun Hee ran.

 

She ignored Jin Hae's shouts and she was clueless as to where she was going. There was only one thing in her mind:

 

You're not getting away from me again.

 


 

A/N: I miss Goblin a lot, especially the Grim Reaper :( I know I'm not the only one. I resolved to downloading LDW's My Girl to see him again. Gosh, my withdrawal syndrome is worst than I thought!

Tell me what you think!