Hormone War

When The Sun Shines

 

The sun blinded Sun Hee's eyes, forcing her to wake up. She wanted to sleep some more, but with direct sunlight urging her to get going, she had no choice but to open her eyes. 

At first, everything was a blur. She groaned as she sat up, finally feeling that unpleasant knocking in her head. Sun Hee cringed, touching her forehead, hoping the pain would just go away -- not that she was a stranger to these things. She just wasn't a big fan of hangovers.

Then why'd she drink last night?

Last night.

The patches of memories from last night's shenanigans sort of jolted her awake. Some of them were remained unclear, but others shined brighter than the sun - her nth shot of Soju, some of her drunken blabberings, and other stupid things. But after that, Sun Hee has no memory of getting home.

"How did I get home?" she asked.

That was a good question. 

As she tried to get out of bed while dealing with the pain, she racked her brains. She removed her blanket and saw that she was still wearing her outfit from last night. Thankfully, it didn't smell of puke or anything embarassing.

But how did she get home?

Suddenly, the memory of Detective Lee hit her mind.

 


 

"...you are mine, Kim Sun Hee. Remember that."

 

Hyuk couldn't stomach what he was hearing. Immediately, he hit pause and shook his head.

It was just a three-minute phone call but the detective had already heard enough. He could finally picture it: Kim Sun Hee just getting out of the bathroom, ready to fall asleep, and answers the phone. Instead of the usual director's orders or a friend calling, she hears this chilling voice that claims no one else can have her. It was just him -- whoever that was.

No wonder she was distracted the next day.

Recently, Hyuk gained information on the man who harassed Sun Hee weeks ago. Their lead suggests that this stalker is just taking a pause, but will come back for the actress anytime soon. 

For this reason, everyone involved is in red alert -- including him.

As he added the voice file to his list of evidences, he couldn't help but feel bad for Kim Sun Hee. He could also finally understand why she had plenty to drink last night. 

The memory of a drunk Kim Sun Hee unexpectedly made him smile. 

She was really funny, he had to admit. After questioning him of his hobbies, she continued her "investigation" of him, asking about his family, favorite music, and even his favored dog breed. Naturally, he answered all her questions just to amuse her. As the night went on, she eventually talked about her dream of owning a bigger house and probably a restaurant for business. 

It was then she decided to sleep on him; suddenly dropping her glass and just falling asleep on the table. 

He remembered feeling like an idiot, dragging a drunk girl into his car. He had to show people his badge to prove that he wasn't going to do anything unspeakable to her, telling them that he was her boydguard (Damn it, I'm not her bodyguard). But he was fortunate enough to find her key in her bag; otherwise, he might have to carry her through the window.

He opened his email, writing to his superiors, saying that he finally sent them a copy of the disturbing phone call. He told them that his team are on the lead and that he will be focusing on keeping a close watch on Kim Sun Hee. Once he hit the send button, he heaved a sigh. 

"You are mine, Kim Sun Hee."

He was extremely annoyed with the stalker's claims. Who does that anyway -- claiming other people as theirs? 

Hyuk remembered how he placed her in her bed. His arms were about to give up when he reached her bedroom. As he struggled to place her there, he could already feel his muscles working against him. Once he reached the bed, he laid her down but ended up falling on top of her. 

At first, Hyuk feared that he woke her up in such an awkward position. But she was still dead to the world. 

Immediately, he got up, his heart thumping wildly.

What in the world?

Something felt wrong with him being in her room, staring at her unconscious figure. She might be drunk, but Hyuk figured (unwillingly) that she was still beautiful. To distract himself, he pulled out her blankets and positioned her head on the pillow. Gently, he laid the blanket on top. 

She didn't even wake. Kim Sun Hee just turned to her side and snored. 

He wondered why a stalker would go through such lengths to harass this unknowing woman. Beautiful as she was, she was annoying, talkative, and sometimes, acted like a spoiled child. 

After sending the e-mail, he got up from his desk and stretched. 

His co-workers said he had the best job in the world right now. He didn't just deal with gangsters now, he also had the chance to rub elbows with a "fine-looking" actress. His superior a lot about it, still insisting that he can date her once all of the mess is over.

The idea of dating Kim Sun Hee should close all doors for him.

He had enough from that department.

But for some reason, a small light peeked somewhere.

 

No, he thought, shaking his head, no, you did not just think that. Nope. You did not. You're not going to do that. The teasing is just getting to your head. 

He was sorely tempted to ask his brother about the feelings he was having, but he knew better. Hyuk actually had no intention of telling Ha Neul about it. His older brother would just tell him about one of his many theories -- particularly the War of Hormone (which sounded more like a song than a theory).

He didn't want to remember that theory but he was sure if Ha Neul heard, he would insist that Hyuk was the living example. And he wouldn't let his dongsaeng hear the end of it.

The memory of a drunk Kim Sun Hee came back to his mind.

He smiled.

 


 

"...we think the stalker is from Busan. We're running tests and data right now. We'll update you once we get a hit."

"That would be great."

"But for now, you'll have to stay with her Detective Lee," said intern Soo Ok over the phone, "DA Park said that he'll ask the other teams to cover for your case."

"That's convenient."

"I know. He seems really keen on making you stay there."

Hyuk heaved an exasperated sigh. "For the nth time, I am not getting him an autograph if that's what he thinks," he complained to his laughing hoobae. Five minutes later, they bid their goodbyes and Hyuk closed his phone. He looked up and saw that Kim Sun Hee was about to finish another scene. She wasn't the major character so she hovered in the background, her face reflecting shock and disgust.

He found it a bit funny. 

"CUT!"

Once the director yelled, the actors broke their exteriors and started laughing and jeering. Hyuk saw the director talk to the two leads, leaving the rest of the minor characters talk amongst themselves. Kim Sun Hee giggled as a make-up artist retouched her blush. She then caught sight of him and winked.

 

He didn't know how to react. Fortunately, his stoic face managed to save the day. 

 


 

Why doesn't he smile?

As she tied her hair up in a bun, Sun Hee tried to sort out her emotions for the stoic detective who stood meters away, arms crossed and face in a permanent expression. Like always, he maintained his serious composure, smiled when he had to, but didn't do it so often. Even when she winked at him, he didn't budge (unlike the nth number of boys who often did).

God, it's so hard to flirt with this guy.

It's been a week since she admitted to herself that she liked Detective Lee. Jin Hae made fun of her when she said this.

"Oh my god, Sun Hee, everyone knows you like the detective! It's an open secret already!"

She thought about it. Was she that obvious?

As much as she tried to stay aloof or pretend she didn't care, the detective was hard to resist. Whenever she saw him, the emotions ran here and there; there was something about him that made her hormones go wild. That sounded unpleasant, but it was the truth. Not that she was too excited about him; she just really liked him.

There was one problem.

Sun Hee, however, wasn't used to making the first move or admitting anything. Men interested in her always called her first, bought her drinks first, asked her out first -- everything -- they did first. But with Detective Lee, Sun Hee couldn't sense an ounce of interest. If there was any, it was either a client-attorney perk or something out of cordial relationship. 

She felt compelled to do the first move -- and she's not a big fan of doing that. 

"PEOPLE! LET'S GATHER ROUND!"

The director's voice brought her back to her senses.

Everyone gathered around the director. The lead actors were already beside him -- the lead actress looking smug as her makeup artists fussed about. Sun Hee tried to hide a smirk; she really wasn't fond of that actress, but now was not the time to gloat. 

The director was talking with his assistant director, discussing something that looked so urgent. Once the cast and crew were complete, they started talking.

"Well, looks like we're going to have to extend our stay here," announced the director, "I know it's on a short notice, but we'll need to stay here until tomorrow."

There was a wave of groaning amongst the cast and staff.

"Unfortunately, due to unforseen cirumstances, we only booked a few rooms in the only hotel here. They were fully booked.," continued the director, "So the others would have to book their own rooms. Don't worry -- there's plenty of hotels nearby and we will reimburse all your costs. Just, please, for the love of God, no expensive room service."

"Please approach me to know if you have a room or not!" called the assistant director.

Sun Hee left the others to bother the assistant director. She walked towards the Detective, who was busying himself by reading emails on his phone.

"I might have to stay here overnight," she told him, "We have to film early tomorrow."

He glanced at her. 

"Which hotel are you staying?" he asked, "Does it have good security?"

"I'd like to think so. After all, I am an actress," she told him with confidence, "They would want to keep me safe."

Hyuk smirked. 

"What? You don't believe me?"

"I didn't say anything."

"Your face says a lot."

He looked at her. "Just two days ago you said I have dead eyes so I don't think my face can say a lot."

She looked at him. "When did I say you have dead eyes?"

Hyuk's face was confused; clearly, he remebered something she didn't. Sun Hee racked her brains for any time that she told the handsome detective he had dead eyes. When she couldn't come up with a memory, she saw him smile crookedly at her, shoving his hands inside his pockets. 

"Never mind," he said, then he looked around, "You should ask your director where you're staying. I'll take you there."

"Alright."

She flipped her hair (hoping that he would notice her new shampoo) and clicked her heels towards the assistant director. The crowd was decreasing in numbers as frustrated staff members walked away, complaining about not getting a room. Sun Hee smirked; she also pitied them for not being as important as she was. Confidently, she made her way past the sad makeup artists and approached the assistant director.

"Hi," she said, smiling brightly, "What room will I be in?"

The assistant director looked at her then at his clipboard. As the young assistant browsed through his papers, Sun Hee looked at her manicured nails.

"I want to have a bottle of wine in my room, please," she told him, "And if it's possible, have the room temp set down. I want a cold room."

The young director looked at her.

"I'm sorry Miss Sun Hee, but you don't have a room."

She looked at him.

"Excuse me? What did you say?"

"You don't have a room," repeated the assistant director, "The floor director only booked rooms for six people -- the director, the two mains, producer, me, and..." he read off his folder, "Lee Won Bin."

"Wait a minute," began Sun Hee, "How could you not book me a room?"

"I'm sorry, Miss Sun Hee. But the floor director was the one who booked everything."

"How could Won Bin have a room and I don't?"

"I really don't know Miss Kim. I'm sorry."

The assistant director bowed at her, but before he could leave, she grabbed him by the arm.

"Listen here!" she exclaimed, "I'm also an actress! I should have a room. Damn it, I act better than Won Bin!"

The assistant director gently removed her hand. "Miss Kim, I'm really sorry, but there's nothing I can do about it," he said, "There are plenty of motels out there. Maybe you can book one?"

He bowed to her and quickly scurried away before the frustrated actress could say (or do) anything. Sun Hee was close to throwing things; she couldn't believe it. How could they not get her a room when she was an actress?

"Do you have a problem?"

She squealed upon hearing the detective's voice. Immediately, she turned and saw him staring at her. 

"Yes, I have a problem," she said, "The staff didn't bother to book me a room! How rude can you get?"

He raised an eyebrow. "So where are you staying?"

"That's the problem -- I don't have one!" she told him, "That lousy assistant director said I have to book a room in one of the nearby motels because the only good hotel is fully booked."

"The motels?" asked Hyuk, "But they look sleazy."

Sun Hee sighed. "I don't think I have a choice, Lee Hyuk. Unless you have a better idea."

The actress looked at the detective as he racked his brains. She knew that he was probably thinking about her safety; it was his job, after all. She also agreed with his comment about the motels -- sleazy wasn't even enough to describe them. Sun Hee didn't feel safe. She didn't know how she could turn this day into a good one --

 

A light bulb suddenly lit up.

 

Sun Hee gazed at the frowning figure of Lee Hyuk. He noticed that she was staring.

"What?" he asked.

"I have an idea."

 

She could feel her hormones raging a war inside -- a pleasant one.

 


 

A/N: Did you see LDW's ARENA 2017 cover? GOD SWOON. <3