Provocation.

I Think I Saw Love

 

C H A P T E R 1 8: Provocation.

 

“What is it to you whom I am?”

Jonghyun felt his jaw drop as he watched Jinki plant a kiss at Kibum’s hand – this was one thing and definitely one thing only; provocation.

Jinki finally let go of the tiny hand and got up from the bed, he straighten the clothes he had been sleeping in before making his way over to Jonghyun. “Kibum why don’t you get some more rest, while I talk with this guy for a bit, okay?”

A childish huff left Jonghyun’s mouth as he crossed his arms over his chest in disbelieve by the other’s words. He certainly didn’t recall to ever have agreed to have a talk with that guy – but truth was that he didn’t minded at all, seeing that he was more than just curious to figure out who this Jinki person in reality was and which kind of a so called relationship he truly had with Kibum.

Kibum crossed his arms as well (unaware of the fact that Jonghyun just had been doing the same thing) and an adorable pout formed around his lips, almost making Jonghyun eager to claim them as his, which honestly felt like a big shock for him, since it only seemed like yesterday that he had considered himself straight – well, maybe because it actually was yesterday.

“Why do people always have to talk about me with each other behind my back?” His words were piercing but nonetheless, it still made both boys’ lips tug upwards into a modest smile.

When Jonghyun had meet Kibum for the first time, it was a common thing when the younger boy would act all vulnerable and flustered around him, but things had gradually started to change and Jonghyun felt that Kibum was beginning to open up – maybe turns into how he was before the accident? And maybe—just maybe had Jinki noticed it as well, and that was his reason for the equally smile?

“Don’t worry Kibum, it’s not like we are going to badmouth you or anything,” Jinki stated and moved towards the door, which Jonghyun opened entirely as he felt that the other was starting to be rather close—to close.

* * *

Without any other objection from Kibum – besides a huff – the two boys were now seated in the canteen; Jonghyun with a cup of coffee and Jinki with another chicken sandwich (which Jonghyun soon had to find out Jinki had an obsession with). 

“So you and Kibum, what is that all about?” Jinki started out, while taking a bite of his sandwich.

Jonghyun frowned slightly and looked down at his hands, which was resting around his cup at the table. “I could ask you the same question.”

 “Oh that? We are only cousins for your information,” a big grin appeared on his face. “But when I first saw you—how disappointed you looked yesterday, when you saw that Kibum wasn’t alone—it was just too precious an expression to let it slip like that, so I decided to fool around with you.”

Jonghyun choked at nothing but air – was he really that obvious?

“I felt really bad, knowing that my cousin was hospitalized in Seoul, while I was sitting in Daegu way too busy with family matters and working life. I was really worried you know—seems like he is doing well though,” his had turned carrying by now and Jonghyun figured how he would be feeling, since he had been feeling it himself lately. The awful thoughts about how things would have turned out if he hadn’t damaged his knee, hadn’t been hospitalized and hadn’t met Kibum that fatal day, would the boy even be alive by now then?

He shrugged by the thoughts. “I can figure how you were feeling. Before I was hospitalized myself, my mother who works here as a volunteer, asked me to go and visit him because he seemed so lonely, but I was an and made fun of it, and besides I didn’t have any time for it due to my schedules. Then, when I meet him—” he hesitated by the memory. “—he was standing in my door way listening as I was playing my guitar and singing. At first I didn’t notice it, but his clothes were stained with blood.”

Jinki’s smile was long gone and replaced by a frown as his lips curved into a surprising ‘O’.

“And then the other day when—” he felt his face heat up. “—whenIhelpedbathinghim I couldn’t avoid noticing that his arm was covered in one scar after another. Not to sound selfish, but I—I really doubt that he would be alive by now if it wasn’t because of me.”

He felt his lips quiver and—since when had his eyes gone moist?

Jinki seemed to have forgotten everything about his chicken sandwich as he was sitting and looking at Jonghyun with big eyes. “You have done well.”  

“… Excuse me?” Jonghyun asked confused – this guy was seriously strange.  

The boy leaned against the table and motioned for Jonghyun to do the same, so their heads would get closer to each others and – a little bit skeptical nonetheless – Jonghyun followed the order. “You really like him don’t you?”

 

“…Why are you whispering?”

 

Jinki leaned back again and nodded his head towards something behind him, and Jonghyun turned around in silence.

Kibum should seriously stop that bad habit of his.