The story about the boy.

I Think I Saw Love

P R O L O G U E: The story about the boy.

 

“Jonghyun sweetie,” the words echoed in his ears, as he let go of his concentration and looked up from his cell phone, sending his mother a boring questioning look.

“Hm?” He uttered carelessly, one way or another proposing her to continue with whatever it was she had to tell him. Not that he actually was interested in listening to it.

His mother placed some of the last dished at the dining table before she sat down at her regular seat beside her husband, who as usually was deep buried in his newspaper during the dinner, just as Jonghyun always was concentrated in texting. “There is this boy at the hospital,” his mother started out. “He had been in coma for almost a month – Since the beginning of July to be more exact. He woke up last Saturday.”

Jonghyun looked at his mother with his mouth slightly agape. “Okay?” He stated misplaced. Why, just why was his mother telling him this?

“Turns out that he have gone blind and temporarily have paralyzed his left leg. He probably won’t be able to walk normal the next half year, and the only eye surgery he can get, cost way more than he ever is going to afford. – Sad isn’t it?” She asked her son.

“Yes, it surely is mom,” Jonghyun answered absentminded as he slowly had continued to texting again, after had placed some food at his plate and started to eat. “But why is it exactly that you telling me all this again?”

“He is such a sweet and lovely boy, you know,” his mother kept on, without caring to answer his question. “He might be a little bit higher than you, but he seems so skinny and fragile,” her stream of speeches stopped for a second as she took in the sight of Jonghyun with a little sigh. “His name is Kim Kibum, sweetheart, he seems really lonely and I think he is starting to get a depression. Maybe it would be an idea if someone visited him and talked a little bit with him, you know, keep him company, a person at his own age.”

“That seems really great mom, if I was gay!” Jonghyun blurted, starting to get a little bit annoyed by his mother constantly blabber, while he was sitting here innocently, trying to eat his food as well as texting in peace as he always did.

“I will give your son right, honey,” Jonghyun’s father suddenly commented and looked up from his newspaper. “For God sake, you have been speaking about that boy nonstop the whole week!”

If there was something Jonghyun’s father didn’t like to talk about, then it was homoually. He couldn’t truly be called a homophobe, since he didn’t minded them, gays, – at least as long as they just stayed out of the family.

“Christ, as soon as I just talk about a young person, you two think I will let our little son get married and have kids, don’t you, huh?” Jonghyun’s mother sighed defeatist and shook her head, picked up her fork and started to eat, letting the two men alone with their respectively phone and newspaper.

Some minutes of silence filled the room before Jonghyun finally felt bad enough and with a sigh looked up at his mother again. “Okay mom, listen up. If I get some time I will go and see that boy, okay?” He concluded and noticed how the eyes of his mother slowly eased. “But, I doubt there will be time however. I have a really firm schedule lately, with a gig almost every night. So don’t expect too much, all right?”

His mother let out another sigh, but nonetheless she nodded and smiled at her son.