The Beginning

The Monsters Under Your Bed

There was something about Block B. Always had been. The bad thing was Saerin could never put her finger on what. Yes, they were famous. Yes, they were beautiful. Yes, they were talented. None of that was it though. Something about them sparked, what Saerin called, a tingle in the back of her mind. There was something about them that just screamed danger and not in the bad boy sense they were trying to portray. Not that that stopped Saerin from listening to them either. Calling her a fan may be going a bit too far but she couldn't help listening. They were almost intoxicating.

Saerin's mother could sense it too, before she passed. It had been after they had moved back to their family home in Seoul. They had lived in the States for a few years prior while Saerin's mother had been training with the High Priestess in Tulsa. Saerin's mother had become the new High Priestess of Seoul but hadn't been able to formally train with her mother so she had to complete her training before taking over the Temple. They had spent three years in Tulsa and Saerin had been trained along with her mother since she had 'come of age' in their Temple. Saerin and her mother had been the last of a long blood line of witches in the Temple of Nyx, the goddess of night. When the training had ended and the two moved back to Seoul to revive their Temple, Saerin had borrowed some CDs from her friend to catch up on what she had missed in the Kpop world while she had been away. When she had gotten to Block B, her mother had been walking past her door and dropped a box filled with their books from Zoey, the High Priestess of Tulsa.

“There is something dark about them,” Her mother had said. They both sat still and listened to the entire CD. They both had the same feeling but neither could pinpoint what it was. Why did they give off such dark vibes? Never the less the feeling hadn't been strong enough for Saerin's mother to forbid her to listen to the music nor to make Saerin stop listening. It was just enough to irk them every time they heard them.

A year later had been when Saerin's mother had passed away. Police and doctors were still baffled as to what had caused it. Saerin's mother had been found mauled by a wild animal in front of the Temple. At least that's what the official reports say. The Temple was placed just on the edge of Seoul but no where near any form of forest or place where an animal of that size would have been. When Zoey had come to Seoul to preside over the care of the body and the funeral though she had told Saerin that she had seen an attack like this before many, many years ago. Zoey had stayed with Saerin for a month after the funeral to make sure that she had been fully prepared to run the Temple on her own. It was definitely a comfort for Saerin.

Saerin had always wanted to be a High Priestess but not in this way. She had wanted to succeed her mother after she had lived long and healthy life, not after she had been killed by some Unknown. Saerin had taken the job though, there was no other way she could honor her mother anymore. She had to keep things running and make sure that their Temple ran smoothly. There were still many nights though that Saerin would spend in her mother's old office pouring over any and every scrap of information she could find that might help her identify the Unknown that had killed her mother.

Saerin had finally come across something useful after two years of research though. She had finally made a connection that could solve what had caught her mother off guard enough to kill her.

Werewolves.

Of course it was much more likely that they were just shapeshifters with a wolf affinity since a werewolf hadn't been spotted in Asia in over a hundred years. This was the only thing that could explain it though. Saerin's mother had been blessed by the goddess with the gift of foresight, meaning she could see into the future. She had been amazingly talented too. Saerin's mother had been fairly famous in Seoul for being the most accurate and reliable fortune teller in the country. Saerin had asked one day what it was like when her mother was looking into the future and her answer had been fairly simple.

“It's like a movie is playing constantly in my mind. It never really stops but I can tune it out when there's nothing significant going on. It's almost like I'm directing a drama with millions of characters and stories and I'm able to pick the episode I want to watch,” Saerin's mom had smiled so brightly at the thought of her gift that it had made Saerin feel a bit envious. It was such a wonderful gift and her mother had always used it well.

There was no way any average creature, human or animal, could have gotten to her without her knowing it was coming. Only another supernatural being could possibly get past her foresight. She had once described other supernaturals as being scenes that had been cut from the drama, just big empty spaces when they were involved. It had fascinated Saerin and now it was helping her to solve her mother's murder.

That was Saerin's purpose in life now. She had to find out who had killed her mother and why.

Saerin's friend Eunjung had always stood by her. She had been Saerin's friend since she was little even though they had a massive . Eunjung had spotted Saerin one day as she was walking home from school, past the temple. A girl that, judging by her uniform, went to Eunjung's grade school was throwing rocks at Saerin and yelling that she should be burned at the stake for being a witch. Eunjung had run up to the girl and pummeled her until Saerin had pulled her off. Needless to say, the girl never came back and Saerin, who was in high school at the time, and Eungjung became inseparable. Eunjung was an average human but she had been allowed to venture into the supernaturals world with Saerin as a companion because of this. Eunjung had gone so far as to even join the Temple and came to be Saerin's right hand when she took over as High Priestess. Now the two lived together in a modest apartment next to the Temple.

All of this, Eunjung becoming Saerin's friend, Saerin's mother's murder, training in the States, and the dark vibe from Block B, it may not seem like it but it was all connected. All of it was leading to one point in their lives and that point was getting closer than ever. Four years after the murder of Saerin's mother, everything changed.



“Saerin! You won't believe what I just did!” Eunjung yelled as she ran to the front gates of the Temple. She ran so fast she almost forgot to stop and sprinkle herself with the lavender and sage oils before entering. She quickly bowed a few times and sprinkled herself with some oil before heading in the door and taking off her shoes. “Saerin! Where are you?”

“Shhhh. Circle,” Eunjung was used to this by now. Whenever she came into the Temple and Saerin was performing a Circle she would always get short clipped answers but she understood. Interrupting a Circle was as disrespectful as interrupting someone during a sermon at a church. Eunjung simply found Saerin in the main hall and took the sage smudge stick that was lightly burning from the open thurible and wafted the smoke from her feet to her head to cleanse herself before going to stand on the south side of the Circle. It only took a few more minutes for Saerin to finish with the Circle and close it, thanking each element in reverse order blowing out their candles respectively. (Spirit in the center, Earth to the north, Water to the west, Fire to the south, and Air to the east.)

“Alright Saerin. Now guess what I did!” Eunjung said coming to stand beside Saerin as she gathered the candles to put back onto the alter.

“Ummm... You ran into a wall and have another concussion?” Saerin answered with a light smile on her face.

“Ani. That was only once and it was because you distracted me, not my fault,” Eunjung gave Saerin a light glare making the older girl laugh lightly. “I got us tickets to see Block B!”

“How'd you manage that exactly? And Why?” Saerin continued to set the candles in their proper place on the alter and make sure that everything was in its proper place.

“Well this girl that I used to go to school with is working down at the cafe on the corner, you know the one with the amazing mango smoothies? Well she had gotten the tickets because she's in the fan club or whatever like two months ago and now she can't go anymore because her brother's getting married on that day. If you ask me it sounded a bit like a shotgun wedding but you know I guess that isn't quite as weird to people anymore, especially not you since you lived in America for three years and I hear it's not weird for that to happen there-”

“The point Eunjung,” Saerin cut her friends rambling scared that they'd never actually get to the point of the conversation at this rate.

“Right. Well she had to get rid of them but she didn't know anyone else who'd want to go that isn't like almost saesang level of fan and she saw me and asked if I liked them and just gave them to me after making me promise to get her a light stick and t-shirt,” Eunjung gave Saerin a bright smile and Saerin simply shook her head and rolled her eyes.

“Well why do you think I'm going to go?” Saerin said flatly making her way over to her office.

“You act like you don't like them! I know you do! I've seen you jam out to 'Very Good' in your room when you thought I wasn't home!” Eunjung gave her a defiant look before closing the door to the office.

“That's only because it happened to come up on YouTube. I'm not really a fan. There's something about them that's dangerous and I don't know what. I'm not necessarily fond of the idea of being in the same room as them if I can help it. At least not until I know what this feeling is,” Saerin countered sitting behind her desk and pulling out a large leather bound notebook that contained all of her research on the Unknown that had killed her mother.

“Oh come on! It's a concert! It's not like they could possibly do something to you even if they sensed you there! They would be all over the news and doesn't that break like every law that supernaturals have?” Eunjung argued.

“You're not going to let up until I've agreed to go are you?” Saerin sighed knowing that no matter how hard she tried Eunjung had a solid point and would pout until she got her way. Eunjung only ever really listened to Saerin when it was a matter of life or death and it irritated Saerin to no end but at least the younger hadn't ever gotten them into a really horrible situation. Sticky situations, yes. Horrible situations, no.

“Of course not. There's no real reason not to go. You enjoy their music, you won't be in any danger other than the screaming fangirls that might try to fight you for looking at their bias wrong, and, hell, you might even find out what it is that makes them feel dangerous to you,” Saerin sighed and rolled her head back to look up at the ceiling.

“Goddess, why did you make her my companion? Did I really screw up that bad in my past life?” Eunjung laughed. Technically Saerin shouldn't say things like that if she was being honest but she could always feel a light tickle in her spirit that made her think that surely the goddess knew she was just joking and Eunjung seemed to be the same way. This was just their typical way of talking to each other.

“So we're going?” Eunjung slammed her hands on Saerin's desk and stared at the elder girl with a look that Saerin could only describe as looking like a puppy about to get a treat. It was cute.

“Yeah. I guess we are,” Eunjung's eyes went wide as did her smile and she started jumping around in a circle. “But! I'm going to cast a protection spell around us so that hopefully they won't be able to sense us. I don't want an unnecessary confrontation.”

“Komawo Unnie! Jinja komawo!” Eunjung ran around the desk and hugged Saerin's neck. “I don't know what you mean by sensing us though. I'm just human remember? I don't have the supernatural juju that you do.”

“Maybe it's just because I'm around you too much or because you're my companion but recently I've been able to sense you from further and further away. You used to have to be just outside my door for me to sense you but now I can sense you from the corner cafe. I just want to make sure that I cover all our bases. You might be developing more into something. I don't know what but it's just one of many possibilities,” Saerin said turning back to the book in front of her. It was true, Eunjung was developing some sort of ability but Saerin had no idea what it was.

That was one of the many goddess given gifts that Saerin had been given. Saerin had an affinity for the physical elements as well as for Spirit, she could sense others affinities, and she was a very strong empath, almost to the point of being able to read minds. Saerin had developed her affinity for the elements after her mother had passed but the other two she had been able to cultivate and develop fully while training in the States. Apparently she was an oddity, even among the other Temples in the world. Not that there were many Temples left at this point. What had once been an overflowing bloodline of witches had dwindle to only a few hundred thousand world wide. Saerin was now under the impression, that given the state of her development, that maybe the goddess was starting to bring in the companions to give the bloodlines a fresh start. That was only her thought though, the goddess hadn't given her a clear sign yet.

“That'd be cool. I wonder what the goddess would bless me with. Maybe I'd be able to talk to dogs. That'd probably be the only thing I could think of that's close enough to my heart,” Eunjung said taking her spot across the desk from Saerin.

“Yah! It's not like that. I mean you could have that affinity, Zoey's predecessor spoke with cats, but it's not always so literal. Most times it's something more vaguely important to you. I don't really know how to explain that. Eomma once said that she believed her foresight came from her control issues. Her foresight helped her to just let go and have the universe and goddess work in the way it was supposed to. So you could always end up with something less obvious,” Saerin said turning to rummage through the book shelf behind her before finding what she was looking for and turning to hand it to Eunjung. “Here. My Halmoni wrote this. It's a more in depth explanation about affinities.”

“Komawo Unnie,” Eunjung took the book and started to flip through the pages with a wide grin on her face.

“When is this stupid concert by the way?” Saerin said as she began to flip through her research again.

“It's not stupid!” Eunjung said defiantly earning an eye roll from Saerin. “It's Friday.”

“Jinja!? That's two days from now!” Saerin said with wide eyes.

“Ara! I know what day of the week it is,” Eunjung said with a pout.

“You're lucky you're cute,” Eunjung grinned and scrunched up her face at Saerin making the elder grin.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N So yeah... Another story... Idk what spurred this one into being but I wanted to do a supernatural au really bad and Idk why but Block B felt more like they would fit into the plot than the other bands I like lol... As always Thank You for Reading! Kamsamnida!