I'm Not Dead Yet

Unrequited First Love: The Beginning

I don't know when I started noticing Jeon Jungkook. Maybe it was because Chaeyoung would always talk about him unendingly, making me wonder what did Chaeyoung see in him that made her like him. I remember when I got hit by a ball in my face during sports education and had to stay in the infirmary, while pressing an ice pack to my nose. I didn't see the ball coming because I wasn't concentrating on the game. Now that I think about it, maybe that's when I started to notice him - Jeon Jungkook.

It was about two weeks after Chaeyoung confessed her crush on Jungkook to Jisoo and I. I've never fell in love before (well, unless you don't count a 12 year old me having a medicore crush on a classmate - I would rather say that it was an infatuation, but I'll let you be the judge). To me, love is a strong word. You may like someone or something, but to love, is a whole new meaning altogether. You will willingly make sacrifices for love whether you like it or not. Call me cheesy, but I think the most powerful force on Earth is love. It can either break you or make you. So when Chaeyoung told us, "I think I'm in love with him," during our lunch break, I frowned. 

How could she be so sure that she was in love with him only after two weeks of crushing on him? Was she even willing to do anything for him even if hated it? I quickly concealed my frustration under my mask and I put on a fake smile.

"That's great! So, any plans of confessing to him?" I asked.

Chaeyoung bit her lip. "Should I? I mean, many other girls seem to be crushing on him too, so he might've gotten a lot of other confessions as well..."

"You should just stop thinking so much and confess to him! You'll never know unless you try," Jisoo urged, nudging her on her shoulder.

I just nodded. I didn't know whether it was a good or bad idea, but I didn't voice it out. Then again, I usually never voice out my real thoughts.

Chaeyoung thought about it as she sipped on her strawberry milk. I have no idea how much strawberry milk this girl drinks on a daily basis; it's like she's addicted to it. "I'll think about it alright? But maybe, just maybe, I'll confess to him next week or the week after that."

Jisoo pouted. "Why so late? Isn't better to do it earlier?"

"I need to know precisely what I want to write to him; I don't want it to be just a normal confession letter that he receives almost every day."

Jisoo and I nodded, understanding why she had wanted it so. We picked up our lunch trays and returned it to the tray section. The school bell rang, signaling the end of break. We waved to each other as we split up and proceeded to our own respective classes for the day.

 

As I walked to class, Chaeyoung's confession earlier on ceaselessly rang in my mind. What exactly did she notice in him that made her fall in love? I couldn't concentrate in Literature class then. My mind was occupied - trying to find answers to why Chaeyoung said she loves him. 

We met again after our individual lessons for sports education. I'm not a sporty person (unless you don't count dance as a sport). I wouldn't say I'm bad at sports, but I'm not exactly good at it either. We were playing dodge ball that day. It was obvious Jisoo, Chaeyoung and I would be in the same team. We had asked around for more team members because we needed to have eight people in a group. Much to Chaeyoung's excitement, we were playing against Jungkook's team that day. 

I decided to find out why Chaeyoung loved Jungkook at the end of Literature class. I had made a plan to observe him (no, not in like a creepy, stalker way okay!) - to find out the charms of Jeon Jungkook. Why Chaeyoung had loved him so. I was curious to what love is. Well, yes, I love my family, but I felt that this was different. This love... It isn't what I've ever experienced before.

I guess you could say I picked the wrong timing to observe him. I noticed he was very much determined to win the game, although it was just a friendly match among classmates. Again, I was confused. Why is he so determined to win a simple game? It's not like they'll receive anything at the end of it. I was too engrossed in my thoughts that I didn't realise a ball was heading straight at me. It hit me straight in the face. I fell down on my due to the strong impact. I cussed at the person who threw the ball internally. He didn't have to throw it that strong.

"OH MY GOD! HYE IN! ARE YOU OKAY?" a voice I presumed to be Chaeyoung asked.

Many others stopped playing and crowded around me.

"I'm fine guys. Not dead yet." I said sarcastically.

Mr Yoo blew the whistle. "Alright, alright. Go back to playing. Don't need to be such a busy body. As she said, she's fine and not dead yet."

I rolled my eyes.

Mr Yoo brought me to the infirmary for an ice pack for my nose, because apparently, and I quote, "You look like Rudolph."

As sports education was the last lesson of the day, I stayed in the infirmary till the end of school. 

While in the infirmary, I decided to collect my thoughts from before I got hit by the ball. I remembered Jungkook smiling and cheering his teammates on before the game. Something about his smile seemed so genuine. It radiates warmth, just like how you would drape a warm blanket on a cold winter day, or drinking hot chocolate with marshmallows after freezing in the cold. How could he emanate such warmth? It felt like his smile could just comfort me even after a horrible day. I was too lost in my thoughts (again) that I didn't realise someone had walked into the infirmary. (The school nurse was out as she, I quote, "had things to take care of" and "will be back soon".)

The person cleared . I snapped out of my thoughts and looked beside me. Oh holy mother of ducks, it was the person I was just thinking about.

"Um, Hye In, right?" Jungkook asked.

I nodded cautiously. Why was he here? Was he hurt? Did I accidentally said my thoughts aloud unknowingly? Again?

"Well, um, I was the one that threw the ball at you..." He said slowly. I formed an 'o' shape with my mouth. "I just wanted to say sorry. I didn't mean it, really. I didn't control my strength when I threw the ball and by then, it was already too late so-"

I cut him off. "It's okay! As you can see, I'm fine and like I said, not dead yet. You should go. I see your friends waiting for you outside." It may sound like I was angry, but really, I wasn't. I was really fine. I don't see the need of having to worry so much when I'm perfectly. fine.

"Are you sure? I mean you sound-"

"This is just the way I talk. And it's okay. Really. I'll accept your apology, if that's what you want. But in return, you should go. Your friends look a little impatient out there," I said pointing to the glass door.

Jungkook smiled. It was the same smile that I saw during sports education. I can't help but smile back at him. He thanked me after and left. Not long later, Jisoo and Chaeyoung ran into the infirmary.

"AHN HYE IN! ARE YOU OKAY? I THOUGHT YOU'LL DIE AFTER GETTING HIT!" Jisoo bawled out, hugging me. I rolled my eyes and laughed. She sure is dramatic.

"Oh yeah, I saw Jungkook coming out of the infirmary. Did you happen to know why? Was he hurt?" Chaeyoung asked.

I don't know why but I felt like I should keep the conversation between Jungkook and I to myself. "He did?" I feigned ignorance. "I was too in pain to realise he came in."

Little did I know, that was the start of me lying and hiding the biggest and darkest secret from them. Somehow, I felt like I shouldn't have done so. But deep down, I knew that if I could rewind back time to that day, I would have still done the same. 


Decided to update as I felt like doing so ^^ If you're reading this, thank you so so so so so so so much for deciding to read this. I know many other authors may say this but this story means so much to me.

Stay gold, my readers.

xx lily