1/1

Looks like it's just us then

 

“Kookie, dinner’s ready. Come out and eat, will you?” Yoongi yells from the kitchen.

He sets the table on his own. Usually Jungkook would do that if he’s the one cooking the dinner and vice versa but today he’s doing it all by himself. Not that he’s complaining, he’s just worried because Jungkook has been staying in their room all day. Only coming out to use the bathroom or find something to eat. Yoongi sets two bowls on the floor, one filled with water.

“Slayer,” he calls, shaking the bag of cat food. That seems to do the trick as the kitten comes into the view, spring in his step. Yoongi crouches down to pet Slayer, scratching behind his ear and under his chin gently. The cat purrs in content, making the owner smile before he pours the cat food into the bowl. “Eat up.” The kitten meows before munching his food.

Getting up, Yoongi keeps the cat food and rinses his hands just as Jungkook comes out from the room and pulls a chair to sit at the table. Yoongi joins him. Apart from the chewing noises and clinking of the cutlery, they eat in silence. Jungkook still has that frown in his face but Yoongi doesn’t push him to talk. Being together for almost 3 years now, Yoongi knows Jungkook will eventually come to him when the younger is ready.

“I’ll do the dishes.” Jungkook mutters softly once they’ve finished dinner. Yoongi lets him and walks to the living room with Slayer scrambling behind him. He sits on the couch before turning on the tv, fingers pressing the buttons on the controller mindlessly as he searches for –at least– a decent show to watch. He settles for a historical drama. Hwarang, the title says. Slayer jumps on the couch and climbs onto Yoongi’s lap, purring when Yoongi pets him.

Few minutes later, Jungkook walks to the living room, standing in front of Yoongi and raises his eyebrow at the kitten in Yoongi’s lap, clearly unamused. The older is just slightly surprised when Jungkook decides to join them; he has expected Jungkook to go straight to their bedroom but needless to say, he welcomes Jungkook’s company.

The younger sits beside him, wrapping his arms around Yoongi’s waist before nuzzling his face into Yoongi’s neck. Yoongi wraps him arm around his lover on instinct, kissing the top of the brunette’s hair affectionately. The feels the younger hugs him tighter before the younger sighs contently. Yoongi rubs his hand up and down Jungkook’s side.

“I’m going to take Toby to a vet tomorrow,” Jungkook says quietly, looking up to Yoongi “after my class.” He adds.

“Is something wrong with Toby?” Yoongi questions gently.

“I think– I think Toby got hurt when that cat knocked off his terrarium.” Jungkook says menacingly, turning his gaze away from Yoongi to glare at the kitten resting peacefully in the older’s lap, tail swaying leisurely, completely unaware of Jungkook’s displeasure.

“What time?” Yoongi asks, subtly trying to distract Jungkook.

“Around 5:30 pm.”

“Ah, I can’t come with you, baby. Still at work.”

“I know. I’ll go on my own. Maybe with Gyeomie. I don’t know.”

“I’m sorry, baby.” he peppers kisses on the crown of Jungkook head before trailing the kisses down, all over the younger’s face. “Call me if anything, okay?” Jungkook nods and Yoongi cradles his face with his other hand before bringing their lips together in a kiss. He kisses softly. A silent apology. Jungkook opens his mouth. An equally silent forgiveness.

That night, Jungkook falls asleep in Yoongi’s embrace. Jungkook slips into a dreamless yet peaceful sleep from the loving kisses Yoongi bestows him, from the tender way Yoongi caresses him, from the sweet nothings Yoongi whispers in his ear.

 

***

 

It has almost been a week since Toby died. It’s not like Jungkook didn’t do anything to nurse Toby back to health but one can never stop death, not even bargain over it. The rain frog was wounded so Jungkook took him to a vet. He bought the Betadine and applied the solution on the wound with a small and softest paintbrush. Although the wound seemed to heal, Toby didn’t get better, still remained inactive with gradual weight loss.

Never would Jungkook have thought he would get this attached to the rain frog. When he first went to a pet store with Yoongi, the idea of owning a frog as a pet was exciting but that was it. Exciting. There was no real interest, more like in the heat of the moment kind of thing. But it’s not like he didn’t look how to care for a rain frog up or genuinely like the amphibian, he did.

Within a week of spending the time caring for the frog though, Jungkook realized he liked the frog more day by day. The rain frog was already cute being small in size so when the frog squeaked, Jungkook was charmed. Again, it’s not like he never heard the frog squeaked before but it was that one particular day when Jungkook was having a bad day and Yoongi was still at his workplace. Jungkook had no one but the frog so he ranted at the frog.

He paced back and forth in the bedroom he shares with Yoongi, complaining about how he skipped the breakfast Yoongi had prepared for him so that he wouldn’t miss the bus only to miss the exact bus. How he didn’t get to finish his lunch because his lecturer took 10 minutes of his lunch break to discuss about the new assignment. How he missed Yoongi so much and that they barely had time to spend together recently.

When he was done, he crouched in front of Toby’s terrarium, looking at the frog in the eyes, expecting the amphibian to give him some sort of acknowledgment. It was foolish of him, he was aware of that but he had rough day, he was tired and frustrated and Yoongi wasn’t there. To his surprise though, the frog squeaked and blinked, dare he said, cutely at him. Needless to say, Jungkook was bewitched.

(Plus, Jungkook has always had a thing for anything small and cute, including small and cute people. Thus, Yoongi. Not that he would tell Yoongi that though.)

So, when Toby died, it affects Jungkook more than he likes to admit. He’s not depressed, just exceptionally forlorn. He still attends his classes but barely focusing, still hangs out with his friends but never really contributing to the conversations and still taking care of himself albeit mindlessly. It’s like he’s there but not really. Yoongi has suggested him to get a new pet but he dismissed the thought.

Rather than going out to the park with Yugyeom like he usually does when he classes end early, Jungkook chooses to just stay at home. He flips through the channels but finds none that interests him so he switches off the tv and lay on the couch instead, with an arm over his face, obscuring his sight. He sighs dejectedly.

He catches the tinkle of bell and he knows Slayer is there. The kitten meows, perhaps trying to get his attention but Jungkook ignores him. So, the kitten meows again.

And again.

And again.

Jungkook doesn’t acknowledge the kitten. When the mew comes to a stop, he sighs in relief, thinking the kitten has finally got the message and gave up. To his surprise though, he feels a light weight on his chest. Jungkook has half a mind to just knock the kitten off his chest. The exact same thing the kitten did to Toby’s terrarium, his mind supplies but he’s not that heartless.

“What do you want, you little demon?” He grunts, never moving his arm away to look at the kitten. Has Jungkook looks at the kitten, he would’ve seen the kitten tilting his head to side and swaying his tail. Jungkook waits for the kitten to purr or snarl or something but the kitten moves closer to him and sniffs his face timidly instead. Occasionally, giving Jungkook kittenish on his cheeks

And suddenly, Jungkook feels tired.

So tired.

Too tired to stop the tears flowing down his cheeks.

Too tired to stop the sobs wrecking his body.

When he’s exhausted and the sobbing finally ceased, he takes Slayer into his arm, turning to lie on his side before cradling the small kitten close to his chest. He buries his face into the kitten. He kitten purrs in return. “I miss Toby.” Jungkook mutters, not really directing his words to anyone in particular but Slayer meows nevertheless. They fall into silent. Jungkook is almost dozing off.

“I never blamed you though. I’m sorry if it seems like I blame you for what happened to Toby.” This time, his words are meant for the kitten. The said kitten lifts his head up, tilting his head to the side while blinking at Jungkook. Jungkook blinks back. Slayer then his chin before lowering his head down again, closing his eyes, probably taking a nap. Jungkook follows suit.

 

***

 

When Yoongi comes back, their apartment is dark and quiet. He turns on the hallway light all the while trying to take off his shoes.

“Kook?” He calls. No answer

“Slayer?” No signs of the kitten.

“Kookie?” he tries again. Walking into the house, he sees a figure on the couch. He turns on the floor lamp. He smiles fondly seeing it’s Jungkook sleeping on the couch. He smiles wide seeing Jungkook cuddling with Slayer although he’s genuinely surprised by the affectionate gesture. Yoongi bends down, threading his fingers through Jungkook’s hair before pressing a kiss to his lover’s forehead. He scratches Slayer’s head gently but the kitten awakes nonetheless, yawning at him.

“Thank you for taking care of him.” He whispers to the kitten. Slayer gives him a mew before continues to nap again. Yoongi chuckles before pressing another kiss on top of Jungkook’s head.

 


Happy belated birthday to me! Yay!!! Shout out to Martina eonni, Jevonda, Anna eonni, Alya, Gina and Sara for dealing with me and for being the most supportive friends :')

to Alya, this is my proposal to you. No pressure but I hope you'll say yes. Heheheh I love you :3

 

p.s come talk to me on my twitter or if you wanna talk anonymously, hit me up on my curiouscat. Don't be shy~ ^u^