028

JUNO : A BTS Military Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was nightfall when they began travelling into the forest.  Ara led the way, following directions from Aurora, while Taehyung and Yoongi followed closely behind.  Hoseok picked up the rear, glancing behind him every so often to make sure they didn’t have unwanted guests on their tail.  

 

The moon was high, shining brightly through a thin cover of clouds.  Ara marvelled at the sight as she continued to hike up the slope.

 

“How much farther?” Yoongi asked.

 

She shook her head and gave a small smile.  “Not much.” She pointed to a crowd of trees in the distance, beyond a large rock.  “According to Aurora, it’s there.”

 

Yoongi nodded and patted her shoulder before starting to walk again.  Ara gazed at him for a moment and followed him.

 

The village was small, much too small to support any sort of thriving community.  The buildings were old-fashioned and worn down, the rich wood eaten away by fire and age.  In the distance, what looked like a playground was suddenly apocalyptic. Leaves rustled in the cool wind, making a shiver crawl up Ara’s spine.

 

Taehyung stiffened.  “I know this place.”

 

Before Ara could respond, she was knocked over by something.

 

Rather, someone.

 

He pinned her down, his forearm across her chest as he used his other arm to keep the others away.  She struggled under his weight and tried to kick him away, but to no avail.

 

He had soft features for someone so strong.  His hair was long and messily tied in a small bun, though wisps of hair continued to cover his eyes.  

 

“Back away from her,” Hoseok said, his hand over the gun on his holster.  “Please. We don’t want to hurt you.”

 

The figure raised his eyes, earning a small gasp from Taehyung.

 

“Baekhyun?”

 

Ara saw recognition flash in the other’s eyes.  

 

“Taehyung?”

 

Taehyung shook like a leaf.  “I…I thought you were dead…” Tears formed in his eyes.  “We…we had a funeral for you and everything…you were dead…”

 

Baekhyun looked away, guilt in his eyes.  “Why are you here?”

 

Ara spoke as Taehyung opened his mouth.  “I’m Jeon Ara, and I’m interested in Project Pantheon.”

 

“Jeon,” Baekhyun muttered.  He caught her eyes. “You’re their daughter, aren’t you?”  Upon seeing her surprised expression, he smiled sadly. “You have their eyes.”

 

He stood and held out a hand to her.  As he helped her up, the others gathered closer.

 

Baekhyun glanced around warily as an eerie whistling wind blew through the trees.  “It’s not safe out in the open.” He began to walk away before turning around, beckoning them to follow him.  “Come.”

 

The foursome followed the newcomer to a rather modern building.  He held the door open, allowing them to walk through into a dark room.  When Baekhyun finally walked in, he walked over to a switch and flipped it on, triggering the lights to come up.

 

The building buzzed and rumbled, as if awakening some sort of deep beast.  The lights flickered as they came on and brightly shone on the sterile lab scene before them.  Computers beeped alive, singing their programs. The experimental units were also well lit, showing the endless possibilities science had to offer.

 

“Welcome to Project Pantheon.”

 

--

 

Baekhyun let them get comfortable in the small sitting area while he prepared some tea.  Ara looked around at all the technology and marvelled at how so much could be hidden from the outside world.  She looked at her hands, knowing that somehow, she was intricately woven into all of this. Into the system.

 

She looked over at Taehyung, who was watching his half brother’s every move.  She couldn’t imagine what he could be thinking.

 

He caught her eye and cleared his throat.

 

“Why didn’t you come back?” he asked Baekhyun softly.

 

Baekhyun froze as he poured tea.  “I…I couldn’t…” he answered. “Not after that day.”  He brought over the tea and sat down, sinking into the cushion of the chair.  “I was a failure to the mission. I couldn’t keep Dr. Jeon and his wife safe. Heck, I couldn’t even keep myself safe.  I couldn’t go back knowing that everything was my fault.”

 

Ara furrowed her eyebrows.  “It couldn’t have been entirely your fault.”

 

“I overlooked the situation and just brushed it off as if it were a normal simulation or exercise,” he explained.  “We were instantly surrounded by masked men, people who desperately wanted t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter