022

JUNO : A BTS Military Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*A/N: double-update!  if you haven't read the previous chapter, then go back and read that first :)

 

When Ara barged into the detention center, there was a crowded commotion filling the air.  Officers were lining the opposite exit and down the hall. As she walked down, she couldn’t help but feel slightly uncomfortable as soldiers eyed her curiously.  She walked faster until she reached Taehyung’s detention cell.

 

The door was ajar, revealing Chanyeol standing over Taehyung, who was strapped in the chair.  The colonel looked over at her.

 

“Ah, Lieutenant Jeon,” he said.

 

“Colonel,” she greeted, her expression cold.  “What’s the meaning of this?”

 

He shrugged.  “Our prisoner is a threat.  Even as he’s about to be executed, we have to take precautionary measures.”

 

“Executed?” she questioned.  “But why? I thought we were going to extract information from him.”

 

He laughed loudly.  “Did you honestly think we were going to let him live anyway?”  He walked over and pat her head. “It’s at times like this that I forget that you’re only a child.”  Seeing her concerned expression, he rolled his eyes. “Ara, wake up. He’s part of the Northern military.  Prisoners of war never really survive anyway.”

 

“We’re not at war,” she reasoned sternly.  “You cannot kill without a reason.”

 

“Who says I need one?” Chanyeol shot.

 

“I do,” she said.  She glanced at Taehyung, who stared at her with tired, swollen eyes.  “You can’t kill him.”

 

Chanyeol raised an eyebrow.  “Oh? And why is that?”

 

Ara pursed her lips.  She didn’t want to stand up for Taehyung, but there was a small chance that he wasn’t entirely in the wrong, regardless of sides.  That was the one flaw about her: she saw people as they were, without titles, formalities, and masks.

 

“Hm.  Then I guess there’s no use in wasting time,” he said, gaining no response.  

 

“No!”

 

He drew his pistol from his holster, causing Ara to spring into action.  Her body was still sore from the surprise ambush a few days before, but she still managed to be quick enough to grab the weapon from Chanyeol’s hand.  She raised it without hesitation.

 

He bore a dark expression.  “Lieutenant,” he said. “Ara.  Give me the gun.”

 

“Colonel.  Do you remember EXO?” she asked calmly.

 

Chanyeol staggered back.  “How do you know about that?”

 

“Do you remember the other members?  There were eight of you. One of them being Byun Baekhyun, Taehyung’s half brother,” Ara continued.  Taehyung tried his best to sit up and meet her gaze, his eyes sparkling with memories. “People used to tell stories about you eight, but all failed to mention that you all volunteered for an experimental program called ROMAN.”

 

“Who told you that?” Chanyeol demanded.

 

“Military records,” she said.  She pointed the gun at him. “You would be killing his kin.  The kin of your comrade. More importantly, you’ve been lying to me and the rest of this army.  Not only are you the ROMAN Janus, but you also filed a mission report containing details of the ambush on my parents as they were travelling.  Unarmed.”

 

“And apparently, you didn’t think to stop the enemy side.”

 

Chanyeol was panting, his eyes darting back and forth with memories.  His face was drained of color as he tried to catch his breath. His dark irises were crazed.  “I don’t know how you found out about that, but I can assure you that you’re mistaken.”

 

“I read it as clear as day,” she said, her grip on the weapon tightening.  “You were there when my parents were murdered. Your actions killed them.”

 

“I never wanted to do that.”

 

“Then why go with the order?” she hissed.  “Why did you want them dead?”

 

The colonel shrugged lightly.  “Your parents were in the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter