Just So You Know

My Hometown

A few days ago

Yongsun bit her nail, pacing back and forth in the waiting room. Hyejin’s eyes followed her, too skittish herself to comment on how her leader resembled a kid in trouble. At first Hyejin didn’t think too much when their manager told them to meet the CEO, Kim Dohoon, after practice, but Yongsun’s anxiety was contagious.

“Maybe you should sit down.” Byulyi patted the seat between her and Hyejin. “You’re going to tire yourself out.”

“Yeah,” Hyejin continued. “I’m exhausted just watching you.”

Yongsun placed one hand over her chest and let out a long breath. “Yeah, yeah you guys are right.” She plopped herself down on the chair, folding her arms over her lap. Hyejin smiled and leant back to relax, but was distracted when she felt Yongsun’s leg jitter against her own.

Hyejin groaned. “Unnie.” She turned to the older girl, who looked like she would rather combust than remain outside her boss’ office. “Calm down.”

“I’m trying!” Yongsun hissed. “Why do you think he’d call for us so suddenly?”

The first thing that came to Hyejin’s mind was the possibility of disbanding, but bit her tongue. She didn’t need to make Yongsun worry over something unlikely. She admitted they weren’t one of the most popular bands around, but they were doing well in sales. Also, the idea of losing two more friends didn't sit well with her.

“Maybe he’s going to give us a vacation,” Hyejin suggested with a shrug.

The woman that listened in to the duo’s conversation snorted. “I’ll buy you guys dinner if that’s true,” Byulyi muttered.

A knock against wood caused the three performers to turn around. “Sorry to keep you waiting girls,” the CEO said. He beckoned them in with a wave before retreating back to his office. The trio shared a nervous glance at one another before Yongsun took the lead and entered the room. Byulyi followed in suit while Hyejin trailed behind.

“Now girls,” the CEO went straight to business when Hyejin softly closed the door behind her. “This won’t take long, but it was essential that I talked to you three personally.”

“Wh—” Yongsun coughed into , covering her stutter. “What is it?”

Hyejin watched Byulyi from the corner of her eye place her hands behind her back, fiddling with her fingers. She was on edge as well.

“Oh it’s nothing to be afraid of,” the CEO reassured. “You just need to go home.”

Hyejin froze, her hair in the middle of combing her hair.

The CEO studied the girls’ expressions. “For a music video.” He grinned. “You need to go home to film a music video.”

Yongsun yelled to let off steam while Byulyi practically collapsed on the leader. “What is with this company and pranks?!” Yongsun demanded, holding Byulyi by the waist to prevent her from collapsing.

Hyejin closed her eyes and squeezed the bridge of her nose. She couldn’t believe she fell for his trick. She was beginning to get gullible like her members.

However, Hyejin was happy with being wrong. Not only would it have devastated her to return as a trainee under a new company, but she also knew the effect it would have on the other two. Yongsun and Byulyi conquered through too many rejections. Hyejin knew they were too talented to experience another.

Though they weren’t the ones Hyejin dreamed to debut with, Hyejin was grateful to be in a group with them.

The CEO chuckled heartfully. “A force of habit, I apologize.” He cleared his throat. “You are all aware of the upcoming Lunar New Year, correct?”

The three nodded.

“Well the staff and I felt that you girls deserved a break from working so hard, however—” he sat atop his desk. “We also thought of this as a great opportunity. Your fans would be able to see you enjoy the holiday with those you hold dear. This music video would showcase Mamamoo in a more personal light.”

“That sounds like a lot of fun!” Yongsun clapped her hands together, smiling. Byulyi hummed in agreement.

“When do we leave?” Hyejin asked.

The CEO lifted an eyebrow. “You can’t wait to leave, huh?” he teased.

Hyejin smirked. “If this company gets to take advantage of our vacation, I don’t see why I can’t.”

    “Fair enough.” The man shrugged. “Anyway, the plan is for Yongsun and Byulyi to travel to their hometowns, Ujangsan and Bucheon, while Hyejin goes back to her home in Jeonju.”

    “Wait,” Yongsun interrupted. “Hyejin is going alone?”

    The CEO nodded, his mouth set in a thin line. “Sadly, yes. It would be easier for you and Byulyi to travel together, since your homes are only a hour away from each other with the right transportation. But Jeonju is too far for all of you to properly spend time with your family, if you all went together.”

    Yongsun sighed and crossed her arms over her chest, upset but knew that there wasn’t any alternative.

    Hyejin patted Yongun on the shoulder. “I’ll be fine unnie. Cheer up.”

    Yongsun didn’t look convinced. “Are you sure?”

    “Yeah,” Byulyi added. “The last thing we want to do is make you feel left out Hyejin.”

    Hyejin rolled her eyes. “I’m certain. I have friends other than you guys and even if I did feel lonely, I can still call you guys.”

    “That reminds me,” the CEO said. “Didn’t you say you have a best friend from Jeonju?”

    Yongsun gasped. “You’re right! I think her name was Wheein. Are you two still close?”

    Hyejin blinked, taking in the name she hadn’t heard in so long. “We are,” she lied. Before she could say anything else though, Yongsun changed the subject.

    “By the way Byulyi, didn’t you say you would treat us to dinner if the CEO gave us a vacation?”

    Byulyi sighed, rubbing the back of her neck. “I was hoping you forgot.”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Present Day

    Wheein weaved through the crowd, two canvas bags supported by her left shoulder while her right hand held onto her luggage. She already regretted this. Not because of the ache in her feet, but because she was remembering. It was only going to get worse when she actually arrived in Jeonju.

    She was too distracted to notice the man running in the station, bumping into Wheein’s shoulder and making her lose balance. Wheein yelped, closing her eyes, but felt an arm wrap around her waist before she crashed to the floor. She turned around, Myung-Hee’s face filling her vision. “Are you okay?” Myung-Hee asked.

    “Y-yeah,” Wheein forced out. Myung-Hee smiled and helped the other girl stand on her feet.

Myung-Hee looked around, the man out of her sight. “I understand that he’s probably running late, but can’t he be more careful?”

Wheein patted down her clothes. “Let’s just hurry.”

Myung-Hee tilted her head. “Are you sure you’re alright?”

“What do you mean?”

Myung-Hee gently poked at Wheein’s forehead. “I can tell you were spacing out the entire time. Your eyebrows were bunched up and you were squinting.”

Wheein focused her gaze at the nearby station clock. “You’re imagining things.”

“Is it that thing you don't want to remember in Jeonju?” Myung-Hee guessed. “Do you want to talk about it?”

Wheein shook her head, still avoiding her friend’s gaze. A ding resounded throughout the terminal, signaling that one of the trains was departing shortly.

“Oh my god!” Myung-Hee slapped her palms over her forehead. “Your train!” She grabbed Wheein’s wrist, sprinting to the the latter’s destination. They were both panting by the time they reached Wheein’s stop and luckily, the train was still there.

Wheein stepped inside, turning back to face Myung-Hee. Once the doors closed, there would be no turning back. Memories of Jeonju would fill her mind and it would get worse when she took her first steps in her hometown.

Myung-Hee frowned. “Wheein,” she stepped closer, “I need to tell you something before you go.”

Wheein was taken back with the sudden request, but obliged nonetheless. Myung-Hee lightly held onto Wheein’s collar, leaning close to Wheein’s ear so she would be the only one to hear. “I love you.”
    Wheein’s breath hitched, eyes wide as Myung-Hee leaned back to stare at her.

“You what?” Wheein asked.

Myung-Hee pointed at Wheein’s face. “Oh, it worked.”

Wheein opened , but no words came out. “H-huh?”

Myung-Hee beamed, obviously pleased. “You were still moping about that Jeonju issue you refuse to talk about, so I decided to take your mind off it!”

Wheein’s fists clenched at her sides. “You fu—”

The metal doors closed shut, the train slowly moving forward. Myung-Hee was hunched over laughing, Wheein glaring at her until her friend was out of sight. Sometimes Wheein couldn’t tell if Myung-Hee was a great friend or a horrible one.

It wasn’t until she took her seat and her mind wandered to Jeonju when she received a text message. It was from Myung-Hee.

Just so you know, I was serious back there it said. I know it’s cowardly to say this in a text when I could have told you earlier but… I was nervous. I originally wanted to tell you that you should rely on me when something’s bothering you because I'm your friend but you just looked cuter than usual today and I was being stupid. I’m sorry for pushing all of this on you. You don't need to answer right away.

Wheein read over the message again, and again, and again. An elderly woman slept next to her. Screaming was not an option. Wheein closed her eyes, praying that her blush wasn’t obvious. For just a moment, she forgot about Jeonju.