[ unexpected ]

Let's Dance Tonight

My head felt light but somehow, it was peaceful.

“Are you awake?”

My senses finally came into life and I was surprised to hear that voice. When I turned my head, I realized I was leaning against Jimin. Confused, I drew back and immediately bowed to him.

“I-I’m s-sorry . . . I didn’t . . . I mean . . .”

“It’s okay,” he said and my heart pounded when he pulled out a smile. “You were tired.”

I tried reminiscing what happened before I fell asleep. My head was spinning but embarrassment took over when I remembered everything.

“I’m really sorry,” I whimpered.

“Did you have a good sleep?” he asked but he was looking at the floor.

“Y-yeah.”

It was true. I didn’t have enough sleep for two days but even though I just slept for a few minutes a while ago, it was tranquil. I checked the clock, which was visible from this corner, and we still have fifteen minutes before the practice resumes.

“Thank—”

“What—”

We both looked at each other, surprised that we spoke at the same time.

“You first—”

“Go ahead—”

When we did that for the second time, we broke into our smiles to ease the awkward situation, and since it was funny.

“Go ahead,” he said.

“Well, I just want to say thank you.” I faced the floor because I felt my blood rushing to my cheeks. “For letting me sleep and for helping me before.”

I haven’t been able to thank him properly because of the circumstances and now was the right time to do that. I don’t know but every time we were together, it felt like a dream. Being an idol meant a lot of restrictions but I was able to be free during those times.

We stayed silent for the rest of the break and when Hyemi-eonni called all the performers, we both stood up. I got out first and I was taught, together with the other latecomers, by another choreographer.

They picked In the Name of Love as the song and when I saw the dance routine, I thought it was incredible as it would showcase our power and fluidity at the same time.

The session ended after an hour since we still have our own schedules. When the dancers started leaving, I sat on the floor, catching my breath.

I got to sleep for a few minutes but that wasn’t enough to sustain my stamina. I wanted to rest for a few more hours but my phone rang and I saw our manager’s name.

“Yes, oppa?”

“Seulgi-ya, come here. You’re the only one missing.”

“Yeah. I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

I heaved a sigh as I ended the call and I found Jimin staring at me. Our eyes met and my heart did a somersault when he mouthed ‘good luck’. I was so stunned that I just blinked at him and I got a smile in return. After that, he finally left the room.

 

***

 

“Seulgi-ya, wake up.”

“Mmm.”

“Kkangseul.”

Wendy’s voice echoed inside my head and after her endless calling, I finally got up. I was still groggy after the tedious schedule yesterday. We managed to record our new song, Rookie, but we still don’t know if it would be pushed through this December or not. In addition, the choreography for it was also showed to us and my mind went crazy after memorizing three dance routines in just 24 hours. Fortunately, one of the special stages, Into the New World, in KBS Gayo was like a requirement for all girl groups so we only had to record our parts and practice the positions.

Wendy and I left our room and joined our members in the living room. Luckily, we don’t have any schedule in the morning, but I have to go to the practice in the afternoon, and our rehearsals for the SBS Gayo Daejun would be in the evening.

Irene eonni cooked for us and while waiting, I reviewed the steps for the street dance and the finale.

“Eonni, don’t tell me you already forgot the steps?” Yeri asked when she saw my expression.

“I-I don’t!” I defended but all of them started to tease me.

“Eonni, you’re second to Juhyun eonni when it comes to forgetfulness,” Joy said as a matter-of-factly.

“That’s not true!”

“Seulgi-ya, you’re no match to them,” Wendy whispered, as if encouraging me to accept my defeat.

These evil and savage maknaes.

After my leisure time with them, I started preparing for the KBS performance practice. Since I got a good sleep, I’ll give my best and try hard to memorize the dance.

I picked a comfortable outfit—jeans, pink blouse, winter coat . . . and his cap. I don’t know why but every time I had to go out, I would unconsciously pick this one.

When I arrived at the building, the five of us practiced the choreography of Infinite-sunbaenim’s song and we got perfect synchronization after several tries. After that, our managers treated us with meals. We talked about our schedules and I was glad that they were approachable even if I was the oldest here.

Right after that, my manager and I went straight to SM for the SBS rehearsals. My members were already practicing for our Russian Roulette stage so I joined immediately. Since it would be the same as our broadcast stage, it was easy. After the practice, I went to another practice room for the street dance rehearsal and this time, I'm one of the early birds.

“Hello, eonni,” Lisa shyly greeted and I waved back.

“Noona, you're early,” Ten said after bowing.

“Yeah. Our practice ended earlier than expected.”

I left the two of them and they started speaking Thai. Facing the mirrored walls, I practiced the choreography but it felt like I was not in rhythm with the music. I was getting frustrated because I had forgotten some steps and I was about to ask those two (who were still talking to each other) when I saw someone’s reflection on the mirror.

Me met each other’s gaze and for a moment, I was just staring at him through the mirror. He gave me a quick smile and that woke me up from daze. I averted his gaze but I could still see him from my peripheral view and he was walking to my direction. He greeted Lisa and Ten along the way until he stood beside me.

“Having some trouble?” he asked and this time, he looked at me.

I only looked at him through the mirror. “A-ah. Uhm, the steps.”

He was about to say something but a lot of people entered the practice room so we drifted away from each other. When Hyemi eonni finally arrived, we started practicing and I finally got the rhythm, thanks to her guidance.

After our rehearsals, the idols left the room one by one but I saw Jimin-ssi looking at me. Then I realized I was wearing his cap and I had to turn around to hide my flushed cheeks. Oh gosh, I hadn’t thought about that. He would obviously see it and he might think I already had taken a liking to his cap.

After gathering a lot of courage, I pulled out his cap from my head and I was about to return it to him when he mouthed something.

“Hold it for me for a few more days.”

I was pretty sure that was what he said after pointing at me and himself. Normally, I’d be too flustered by his action but I found myself nodding at him. I watched him as he left the room, confused by what just happened.

Well, I guess I’d be keeping his cap for a while.

 

***

 

We spent the Christmas Eve in our new dorm and it was quite lonely because we wouldn’t be able to celebrate with our family. We decided to stay all night since SBS Gayo Daejun would be the next day.

I was munching some cookies that Wendy made earlier when I saw our maknaes staring at their phones in the living room. For sure, Joy was texting Sungjae and Yerim might be talking to her same-age friends but the smile on her face seemed brighter.

“Ya,” I called, patting her shoulder. She immediately hid her phone from me and I was about to but I was surprised when she was the one to give me a sly smile.

“Eonni, don’t be surprised later,” she said and after that, she ran into her room.

“What was that?”

I decided not to think about what she said and trudged into the kitchen. The smell was so good that I started eating a bit of all the food on the table until Irene eonni slapped my hand.

“Ya, why are you eating already?” she complained with a ladle in her right hand.

“Caught in the act,” Wendy added.

After that act, I wasn’t allowed to enter the kitchen anymore until midnight so I just dawdled in the living room, going through the channels but I couldn’t stay in one. I could already hear the fireworks from the neighboorhood and when I check the clock, it was already 11:55 P.M.

Without anything to do, I lied on the couch, waiting for the year to change when my phone suddenly vibrated. I fished it out from my hoodie pouch and a Kakaotalk notification was displayed on the screen.

“Who is this?” I muttered while opening the message . . . and I almost dropped my phone.

 

Merry Christmas, Seulgi-ssi! Let’s work hard!

 

It was just a greeting but I was frozen after reading it. Even though the sky was already illuminated by hundreds of fireworks and noise was everywhere, I could only hear my heartbeat and my eyes were already glued on my phone.

It was just a greeting . . . but it was from someone I didn’t expect to message me. It was from him. From Jimin-ssi.

 

-------