You and I, we have a 'lil something

'Lil Something

 

On the off-streets of Seoul, inside a tall, dark building that is absolutely surrounded by an awaiting audience and paparazzi—is a room bustling with models and their corresponding staff members. The tech crew moved about the room in a clump, checking radios and connections wile managers fretted over their idols, hovering over every action all the while repeatedly checking the time. It looked like a mess—well, an organized mess of people trying to prepare for one of the largest run-way shows of the year. Everyone was actively doing something, or in a certain curly-haired guy’s circumstance, trying to actively do something.

 

It isn’t that Jongdae—said curly-haired man—isn’t a diligent worker; in fact, he felt as if he were rather far in what he did for only being 24 years old—he just keeps getting distracted. And by no means is it his fault; at least, that’s what he kept repeating to himself, in hopes of keeping a thread of his pride.

 

Jongdae was currently clutching to his clipboard, keeping his attention on the bearded male that was giving him new directions.

 

“Chen, I need you to go around and check the roll of everything. Make sure each group is ready for their time while I help the tech crew.”

 

“Neh.” Jongdae quickly nodded, stepping back and adjusting his ear piece when the center of his distraction hurried over to his bearded coworker. He just couldn’t help it as his eyes, not to mention his feet, lingered for a few moments, trying to reminisce the view he was blessed—and cursed with. 

 

She is absolutely stunning. And not in the typical way that all the models in the room were, but inimitably. Her eyes are sharp and a bit intimidating at first glance, but nonetheless bright and sparkly. Her skin glowed with youth and her hair looked silky under her fingers as she tucked a few strands behind her ear. Jongdae eyes her as she seems to be asking a question to his bearded-boss, unsure if he should just approach her already or run. He was still mid-decision when the girl turned her body towards him, and Jongdae’s feet seemed to make up their mind as he did what he usually did: fled.

 

It’s not like they ‘re strangers, or that they’ve never spoken to each other before; rather, Jongdae knew her and she knew him. They’ve both been assigned the same shows quite often, so it was hard for them to not know the other and what they did. Right away Jongdae had learned that her name was Heize, and that she was one of the top designers and stylists for three of the prettiest noonas in Seoul. Heize was passionate about her work and strongly independent; and, well…a bit hard to get.

 

Jongdae couldn’t necessarily blame her; as he was just as bad. His out-going and charismatic personality usually did the trick and got him around, until he came face-to-face with someone that makes his head light. And heart flutter. And makes his stomach do those weird flips and turns that just completely turn him to fight or flight mode. And unfortunately, his only option seemed to be flight.

 

And even worse, so was hers.

 

Jongdae shook his head, making his way over to each of the mangers; stopping by the few and making sure they were all prepared for their call time. It was going rather smoothly, with all of the staffs in-check and only a few asking some questions here and there. One of the female mangers was mid-question when Heize appeared in Jongdae’s peripheral vision, and the 24-year-old unconsciously turned to watch her as she breezed by; hands full of hangers with stylish jackets and a parade of models following after her. The small upward curve of her lips had Jongdae entranced, the man completely forgetting that he was with someone.     

 

“—Et that?”

 

There was a sharp nudge on his shoulder that had Jongdae startled, the stage director blinking a few times as an apology slipped from his cat-like mouth. The noona just rolled her eyes, offering a quick, “Never mind, thank you,” before turning away. Jongdae could feel his cheeks heating up a bit as he walked over to the last manager, mind set on completing his simple task.

 

“Is Jung-Sook almost finished with her makeup? I’ll remind you that her time is in thirty.”

 

The man he spoke to turned away from the papers he had been focused on, greeting the 24-year old with a smile and quick nod of the head.

 

“Yes, everything seems to be going on time,” The dark-haired manager glanced back at his papers before turning to Jongdae. “Do you know if her clothes are ready?”

 

“Geul ssae…” Jongdae glances around the room, spotting Heize next to a rack of several outfits. He promptly turned back towards the manager. “Neh, they should be.”

 

“Great, thanks.” The male attempts to pat him on the shoulder, but Jongdae is already on the move—towards the girl who seems to be stressed with carrying all of the hangers of clothes. His heart pounded in his chest the closer her got, determined to make conversation with the brunette.

 

Jongdae turned his headset microphone away as he approached the rack, just as Heize pulled the last hanger off.

 

“Hey!” Jongdae smiled, Heize turning towards him as he reached a hand out. “Here, that looks a bit heavy, let me help you out with that—” His hand barely brushes the fabric of one of the coats when Heize sharply shakes her head, swatting his hand away with her own.

 

“Oh no, don’t worry, I’ve got it.” She says all too quickly, stepping back and looking away just as the other’s smile faltered at her words. Heize shortly bowed her head, muttering a small ‘thank you’ before hurrying away, arms full of heavy coats that she definitely needed help with.

 

Jongdae sighs, watching her struggle as she makes her way over to the dark-haired manager, handing him a hanger with a smile on her face. The stage director looks away, heaving a heavy breath.

 

He’ll just…try again later.

 

So, Jongdae did just that. Tried and tried and tried. First, after noticing how tired the designer seemed, Jongdae fetched a cold water bottle from one of the coolers in the back—only to retreat the out-stretched offer as Heize took a swig out of a bottle the seemingly came out of no where. She then continued to walk away, as if never seeing Jongdae and his ready-opened water bottle.

 

Later on, when the designer was struggling to fix the side-bar of a rack, Jongdae cheerily went over to help. He did manage to help steady the rack as she tweaked with the height, earning a closed-lip smile his way and the nod of a head. But as he expected a conversation, or even a thank you, Heize stood up and left; leaving Jongdae to wave helplessly at her retreating back with a forced cat grin. The stage director did receive a thank you though ten minutes after, as he handed the designer the next needed outfit as she rushed from model to model. Heize had beamed with relief as she took the hanger from the male, momentarily forgetting her small façade as she thanked him happily and went on with her way. Jongdae grinned ear-to-ear then, finally feeling a bit successful as one of the models eyed him from the mirror with a small smile, having witnessed the entire exchange.

 

Jongdae feels great—despite not entirely having a conversation with the girl of his thoughts, he feels on top of it. The show has started and it has everyone on pins and needles, all staff busy as they rushed about the stage. Models were lined up along the wall, awaiting their time to walk as their makeup artists and stylists fretted over every detail. Jongdae stood happily by the curtain that separated them and the stage, listening to his headset for cues while signaling each model over one by one. And to add to his good mood, he had a good view of Heize—who was busying herself with tidying up model’s outfits and dusting off their clothes.

 

It stayed that way for a good ten minutes, everything running smoothly and on time. Jongdae held a hand to his earpiece as he motioned with his hand for the next model to walk, giving them a small thumb up of encouragement. His eyes followed their back before turning to the backstage, looking just in time to watch his bearded coworker kneel down next to Heize, who was tying a models shoe, and place a hand on her back. Jongdae couldn’t help the falter of his expression, watching as the two exchanged unheard words and smiled at each other.

 

Immediately Jongdae felt his heart thump painfully against his ribs, mouth turning downward as he cast his eyes elsewhere; trying to rid the image of Heize looking so genuinely happy with another guy. And not just any male, his coworker—the same one that helped him during training, and knew about his infatuation with Heize. A hot feeling started to boil in Jongdae’s stomach, something akin to jealously, and it had Jongdae’s good mood spiraling down the drain.

 

The designer stood up from her position, along with Jongdae’s coworker who patted her on the shoulder once more before moving towards the other male. Jongdae looked away as his coworker passed him, hand grazing his elbow as he said something.

 

Something.

 

He had said something. Though Jongdae doesn’t really know what he said, too focused on ignoring the other to decipher his words. And, in result, completely overlooking the fact that his coworker had just helped him out. Played wing-man for him as he had mentioned Jongdae to Heize, in hopes of getting the two together, as he had known about both of their feelings.

 

But Jongdae was too distracted.

 

Too distracted in what he thought there was.

 

The rest of the night went by quite the same, aside from Jongdae’s precipitous change of mood. He avoided looking in Heize’s direction, completely ignoring the girl and her many attempts to catch his attention. Staff continued to hover over the models, perfecting the already perfected as Jongdae motioned each one over as he spoke into his mic, trying his hardest to retain the urge of crying his broken heart out.

 

Was he over reacting?

 

Maybe.

 

He didn’t ponder too much on it to decide.

 

At last, the show was over. The audience applauded and filed out of the building, all of the models returning backstage with bright grins and chirpy laughs. The entire aurora backstage seemed to become lighter, and easier to breathe as all the staff clapped and cheered in relief. The show had gone amazingly well, with no difficulties or problems at all.

 

Well, aside from Jongdae’s problem.

 

“Aigooo~ It’s over!” Some model beside Jongdae sighed, though it was hardly heard with the incessant clapping of everyone. People were high-fiving and exchanging hugs, the entire staff and crew overjoyed with the success of the night. Jongdae forced a smile on his lips as he looked around the room, nodding his head to those who congratulated him. His gaze moved from face to face before coming into contact with sharp eyes, eyes that were looking directly at him—and Jongdae couldn’t stop the thumbs up he gave them. Heize smiled, showcasing her pearly-whites as she returned the hand gesture.

 

Jongdae almost forgot about his dilemma.

 

Almost.

 

It was an hour and a half after the show ended, with all models and most staff either gone or in another room. Jongdae signed tiredly as he walked around backstage, eyeing the many scraps of paper left over from the night’s work. There were two sofas and a small coffee table in the corner, looking so dejected and abandoned that Jongdae found his feet walking there, and his mind relating him to the sad corner.

 

With a heavy exhale, the male plopped down on one of the cushions, leaning forward to place his elbows on the table. Jongdae continued to burry his face in his arms, eyes shut closed as he replayed the night’s happenings.

 

His coworkers utter betrayal.

 

Jongdae was too busy soaking in exhaustion and pity that he failed to notice the sound of shoes against cement floor, or how they came closer and closer until they reached the corner. He didn’t notice as the person sat on the adjoining couch, mirroring his position on the table.

 

“Hey.”

 

Okay, he did notice that.

 

Jongdae turned his head away from the table, looking right back at Heize in surprise. The designer smiled, her pink lips tugged upwards in an amused manner.

 

“Your coworker said that you usually hang around after shows. Looks like he was right.”

 

Jongdae copied her expression, helpless to the way the girl made his mouth grin so wide. “Looks like he was.”

 

“He also called you Chen. Do you mind if I call you that, too?”

 

Jongdae chuckled, endeared by her way of conversation. Heize grinned back, both still hunched over the table.

“No, I don’t mind at all.”

 

“Well then, Chen,” She paused, sharp eyes sparkling and sending butterflies straight to Jongdae’s stomach. “You and I—it seems that we have a ‘lil something.”

.

.

.

.

.

.

:D

//dodges rocks//

IKNOW I KNOWIKNOWIKNOW I KN O W 

I reeeeaaalllllyyy need to update my other stories, but...

I reaaaalllllllyyy had to write this one XD

There were absolutely NO fics that I could find about Chen x Heize, and I got desperate for one after listening to their song so many times :\ SO I WROTE ONE MYSELF~~~~//cries

this entire fic is completely based off their music video. Check it out if you haven't already~ https://youtu.be/Npxqg9p1Q94

thank you for reading!! :D <333