002 ♚

The Perfect Ten
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

→ Chapter 002

 

The sunrays flooded over Mina’s room lighting her shaking pale fingers lying on her lap. Her eyes, sunken and red, glanced at her hands. She spent the whole night imagining them around Jung Ilhoon’s neck, grasping at his throat and squeezing the life out of him. If anyone were to take a peek at the thoughts flooding her mind, they would be petrified. Jung Ilhoon, the man who took her father away from her, who ruined a perfectly good family, was released from jail. It wasn't fair, and she certainly wasn't going to stand still and watch him enjoy his undeserved freedom.

She sat up, her hands gripping at the sheets around her. Justice should be maintained in the world, and if the judges, lawyers, prosecutors, and detectives aren't doing their job properly, even enough to free a criminal, she will take that responsibility into her own hands instead and put Ilhoon back to where he belongs: the prison where he should be rotting.

A small smile tugged at her lips, she won’t let him get away with it. She’s a predator, and she wants her prey, and she’ll go to any length to get him.

“Oh, you scumbag, come near me and you will see…” Mina muttered, standing up from her bed and making her way to the bathroom, “Or else, I’ll find you.”

Her eyes found their way to the small mirror at the entrance and she sighed. She couldn't recognize herself: her eyes were bloodshot, her face was awfully pale and her lips were colorless. The only thing about her reflection reassuring her of her identity was the absence of a number on top of her head.

Unlike every other person she has ever met, she didn't possess a number. She didn't know if that was the case, or she had one but couldn't see it. Maybe she was exceptional— she liked to think of herself that way, or maybe she didn't need it. Realizing that she was late, she hurried to take a shower, hoping it would help her look decent for school. It didn’t, but Chanyeol was too busy blabbering about himself to notice.

“Can you imagine? Joonmyun chose me to take over him next weekend!” His pink hair bounced as he waved his arms, “Believe it or not, the pictures you will see of the mid-year football match? I am going to take them.” He pointed at himself, his eyes sparkling with pride.

“Chanyeol, I get it. Congratulations and all that, but I’m tired. Can you be a little quiet, today?” She sighed, a toothpick hanging between her two front teeth.

“No, no, I can’t. Actually, I won’t be quiet until I rub it in Yoongi’s face. Ha! In your face, you little-” His sounds grew muffled as his friend slapped a hand over his mouth.

“Principal Kim's office is right above us. If he hears you swearing you will be in trouble,” Mina warned, frowning, and then removed her hand.

They were sitting at a bench behind the school building, waiting for the bell to ring.

“I wasn’t going to swear.” Chanyeol pursed his lips, “Since my spot in the photography club will be empty, I’ll suggest you take it.”

“You know I hate taking pictures.” Mina deadpanned, tucking her braid in her blazer pocket once again.

“It’ll be fun, I swear.” He nodded, a huge grin decorating his plump lips.

Mina shook her head, “Oh come on, and I even ditched the whole school to sit with you somewhere quiet. I just want you to upgrade your social life.”

“I’m sorry, Yeol. Gossip isn’t my thing, as I don’t want to know unnecessary information about everyone.” Mina crunched her nose, playing with her toothpick.

“But you love it when I tell you secrets.” Chanyeol laughed, “You love it; I can see it in your eyes. You’re always eager to know everything about everyone, just like me.”

“We have five minutes until classes begin, hurry.” Mina dragged the tall boy by the arm to the doors of the building.

Lunchtime finally arrived, the two best friends hurried inside the cafeteria and to their table. But as soon as they sat down, Mina noticed the students’ eyes bore holes into her skull. Whispers flooded the room, and she could draw in some of their talks. Everyone was aware of last night’s news and were wondering how she felt about it. Most of them looked at her in pity, and Mina hated it.

“Don’t bother with them.” Chanyeol stared at her, playing with his food.

“I hate it.” Mina huffed, one eyebrow raised.

“I heard about yesterday.” Chanyeol murmured, his eyes now looking down at his plate.

Just as he expected, Mina didn’t answer.

“Hey,” He grabbed her hand, “It’ll be okay, I promise. I don't know what that prosecutor was even thinking when he let him go. But again, don't worry. Eventually, he'll get caught.”

Mina wanted to scream that it’s not enough if he gets caught, she wants him to be tortured. She wants him to be dead. Deep in her thoughts, she didn’t notice the giant pulling out his camera and snapping a picture of her.

“Chanyeol!” She screamed, “Delete it or I swear to god I will rip it to shreds.”

“It’s not like you look bad. I’ll keep it, I won’t show it to anyone.” He pleaded as he tried to pry away the camera from her grasp. Mina sighed in defeat and regained her seat.

“A new kid is transferring to our school.” The pink-haired boy cooed, “I also heard he lived in America, maybe you’ll get a better rival than Do Kyungsoo.”

“America? I’m down for competition. What’s his name?” Mina said, her words barely audible as she munched a piece of garlic bread.

“See? I told you you’re just as curious as I am.” Chanyeol tilted his head, “His name is Baekyoung, or Baekcheong? I didn’t hear it well, the office door was closed.”

“You were spying on the principal again?” Mina widened her eyes.

“Peizhi thought it would be fun to do that.” He shrugged.

“If Peizhi were to jump off a cliff, would you do the same?” Mina chuckled, imitating the nasally voice that belongs

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter