013 ♚

The Perfect Ten
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

→ Chapter 013

 

 

 

Baekhyun has never liked big houses; those four thousand square-foot monstrosities were too spacious for him, and he never understood why people had to buy such huge places. They had too many rooms and he thought it was useless (unless a family of thirty were to live there). When Byun Jeongwoo’s company skyrocketed and became successful, the first thing he bought was a villa at the exit of Seoul. The second thing he did was to look for his sister’s son, Baekhyun. It was months before the accident happened, but when he found him it was probably too late; Baekhyun was already thirteen years old, yet he warmed up to him so easily because at the time Jeongwoo seemed like the last string of hope he had. Despite spending four years with his uncle, Baekhyun still couldn’t feel at ease. The small house where his mother and he used to live was much more comfortable. Sure, it lacked the luxurious glass windows and the flaring golden chandeliers, but it provided a sense of safety for the young boy. In contrary, the villa didn’t feel safe for Baekhyun. It was his hiding place, but not anymore.

The house phone rang loudly, breaking the silence that enveloped the dark living room. Baekhyun, once slouching on the red leather couch, jerked at the sound. He rose to his feet, heart already beating hard and palms clamming because of sweat and lumbered toward the phone stand. He had no idea what to say when the abrasive voice of the man filled his ears, “Hello, Is Baekhyun home?”

Baekhyun inhaled deeply, taking in each word before replying, “It’s me.” He couldn’t believe it, he tried to hide every trace of his existence from him yet there he was speaking to him like they just saw each other yesterday.

The man hummed in surprise, sounding like he was eating something light as he responded with delight, “Baekhyun! Finally, you’re home. How was your vacation in America? You’re seventeen now, right? Ah, your mother would’ve loved it if she could see her son all big and grown up. Sadly, she cannot.”

The man then erupted in laughter as if he told the funniest joke. Baekhyun shook from head to toe, the phone almost slipping away from his hand, “How did you know I came back?”

“I’m keeping tabs on you until you die, kid.” The man appeared to be amused; from the way he twisted his tone at the end of the sentence, “Say one wrong thing, and she’ll be gone.” He then chuckled, "It's pathetic how you and your mother think you can outsmart me. I found you even when you fled to the States, and she thinks I won't find her? Poor woman, she's probably sitting at that miserable house thinking she's safe. But I think we can both agree that ignorance is bliss in her situation, can't we?"

“Can I talk to her, please? Just once?” Baekhyun begged, lips quivering. Funny how many years passed since he last saw him, yet he still had this distasteful effect on him.

“When I’m sure you won’t let your tongue slip, maybe then I will.” The man said, “Count this as a warning. The next time I see you near Kodak or you try to contact her in any way, she’ll vanish forever. Understand?” Baekhyun closed his eyes, and when he didn’t respond the man laughed again and spoke with a trace of amusement Baekhyun thought was revolting, “Remember son, I’m your only family. Nobody will love you as much as I love you.” And then the line was cut short, leaving the young boy standing in a dazed state.

Nobody will love you as much as I love you, that sentence resonated in Baekhyun’s head again and again like a mantra to an obscure curse. If love included leaving him for thirteen years, taking away the most important person in his life, threatening him as no father would do to a son then yes: nobody will love him as much as he loved him. Baekhyun dropped to the ground, fighting the urge to scream his lungs out and cry. He had no shoulder to lean on, even if Jeongwoo was sleeping soundly in the room upstairs. The man could never help him because he could never understand.

That urge intensified when he walked to the main hall at Kyungbock to find the biggest poster he’s ever seen with his face on it. The title was big and clear: Baekhyun’s unknown father, who could he be? It mimicked like a prank, and Baekhyun wished it was a prank. Underneath his photo, an extremely scornful text was displayed: Your school’s favorite heartthrob has a mysterious past. Where is his father? What’s his name? Does he even exist at all? One million won for the right guess! Baekhyun scanned the words from top to bottom, his eyes narrowing at each sentence. Clenching his fists, he tore the paper from the wall but he figured he was too late; the cafeteria was buzzing with noise, but the chatting came to an end as he stepped in, the poster hanging from his right hand.

Mina watched in anticipation as Byun Baekhyun looked like he was about to explode. The last time she had seen him so agitated was near the nurse’s office, but this was way much better. She swore to Chanyeol it wasn’t her in the morning, and he luckily believed her lie. Kim Jongin rushed to his friend, trying to calm him down by rubbing his shoulders but nothing declared to be working. Everyone glowered at the angry –no, furious boy as he scrutinized the room until his gaze fell on Kang Mina. He should’ve seen it coming when he ruined her reputation using Kodak but he didn’t know Mina liked to play dirty; bringing family into the feud was guaranteed from the beginning, only it was Mina who took the first step. When she caught his eye, she smiled lightly but it didn’t tick him off as much as she hoped it would. His expression remained impassive as he kept the eye contact, his voice blaring in the silent room, “Whoever pulled this nasty prank, I can assure you it will not going to go well from now on. Who do you think you are, putting your nose in others’ family businesses? Don’t you have a life to live? It was only last week that we learned about the importance of mental health, yet here you are pulling this-” Baekhyun tore apart the poster piece by piece as he spoke, “-bull? I’m sorry to say this but to me, and I’m sure this is the case for everyone, you are a rotten person and you need to re-evaluate your choices because this-” throwing the last piece of paper on the ground, he concluded, “-is low.” And with that, Baekhyun marched to his table.

Mina glimmered in horror at how the students, one by one, clapped for his speech. If only they’ve known he’s done the same thing to her weeks before and all she got was silence and talking behind her back. She watched as Irene rubbed Baekhyun’s back, and as his friends surrounded him like he was some kind of hero they had to glorify. Mina thought it was unfair, too unfair how he won each and every battle occurring between her and him. He was by far the worst nightmare in her life. But at least she got what she wanted in the end; Baekhyun had a weak spot, and it was his father.

Later when she walking to her next class, Sehun held her wrist with a smug smile plastered on his lips, “You’re the one who made that poster, aren’t you?”

Mina only observed him in disbelief before muttering, “What? You’re crazy!”

But Sehun only leaned closer to her and whispered in her ear, “You should’ve gone for the mother instead.” Mina was shocked enough to let him slip by the passing students without a word. Wasn’t Sehun Baekhyun’s friend? She found herself asking too many questions when the answer was obvious: Sehun hated the raven-haired boy just as much as she did, maybe even more.

At photography club, where the juniors were supposed to all gather for their first meeting, the atmosphere felt incredibly tense for Mina; Baekhyun was sitting right next to her as he chatted with Chanyeol about the meaning of pictures in one’s life, and he ignored her completely from start to finish. It didn’t help that Irene ditched her partner to come hang out with Baekhyun. She felt secluded from the group, maybe because she didn’t want to fit in or maybe she couldn’t. Either way, it was hard to be alone. Kim Jongdae, Minseok and Jongin all joined them later. Mina gave up in the end; she pulled out her chemistry homework and tried her best to focus on the exercises she was given. It was possible, only if Chanyeol didn’t try to include her in the conversation.

“Mina, what do you suggest as a theme for a photo?” As soon as he let out that question, the group fixed their eyes at her. Only Baekhyun kept his gaze down, and Irene was busy playing with his hair.

Mina fiddled with her pen, halfway through her fourth question, trying to come up with an answer. Kim Jongin leaned in closer in anticipation seconds before she spoke, “How about… crime?” Jongin leaned back almost immediately after her suggestion, Jongdae and Minseok widened their eyes and Irene let go of Baekhyun who didn’t seem to be fazed by her words, “It’s not often that we see mutilated bloody bodies in captured in pictures artistically. I think it’d be really interesting if we took a different route and portrayed the beauty of lifeless bodies. It will catch the judges off guard.”

Mina whipped her head to her right when Jongdae hummed in agreement, “I think we should come up with something unique and a crime scene sounds okay.”

Chanyeol shook his head, “Guys, this is a photography contest. You’re trying to garner as many votes from the judges, which means you’ll have to choose a theme that’s both unique and light. Plus, where are you going to find those lifeless bodies? Nowhere, unless you’re willing to murder someone.” The group then snickered at his joke, except for one person.

“How about we let the professionals-” Irene piped up, jerking her chin to Chanyeol’s direction, “-suggest the themes for us. What’s the point of doing it if you have no experience?”

Mina stiffened; the shade Irene has thrown didn’t go unnoticed but she couldn’t do anything about it. Chanyeol narrowed his eyes at the girl, seemingly noticing the implicit message underneath, “I can’t go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter