The End Wasn't the End After All

Timing Matters

Baek Sumin has let go of her past as soon as she left her town to be in another.

College. That was the start of her courageous adventures – she talks to a circle of friends, attending most of the events she was invited to, have her head held up high and even starting to like weekly presentations where she has to present herself in front of a crowd of classmates in a huge echoed room. It was her time to turn to a new leaf. 

Baek Sumin just came out of her class eventhough it ended minutes ago. She has always been the one to close all the electrical appliances in the room, being the perfect student – it was actually hard to keep up the good attitude with all the assignments trying to keep her down. She had a good hour of free period after. That was when she tried to keep all her works in progress. Of course, with a few delicious distractions. 

Baek Sumin was well-known to be one of the most active students in her college, even got elected to be the head prefect – only to reject the offer so that she could focus on her unfinished works. She suddenly got a call from her class coordinator. News came a week ago, that a new student from a different town would be joining her class. New face to memorise, she thought.

She came to her main study room, only to be taken aback by the new student. Her old friend. Her old crush. Her first love. Oh Sehun. The scene of her first heartbreak suddenly coming to her in seconds until she realised that she was staring into a blank space. She blinked rapidly and avoided eye contacts as she walked towards her lecturer.

Oh Sehun was smiling. It was as if he expected to see her. As if he followed her here. Even transferred to her college to see her. Sehun cheerfully waved her as a greeting. The class coordinator kept the meeting short – Sumin was in charge of helping Sehun adapting the environment and their class schedules. Both of their schedules are clashing. Not one of the class periods differ from another. Odd. Definitely interesting but still odd. As the class coordinator left them by themselves, Sumin got a courage to discuss with Sehun about their periods. 

Weeks after his official first day in school, Sehun insisted on being with Sumin until he finally adapted to the new town, even asking Sumin on a 'study date' as he confessed to be weak in a particular module. Few minutes of a friendly argue before Sumin gave up and let Sehun do the arrangements. It was as if they never missed a day not talking to each other. As if they knew each other for all their lives, minus all those little awkward moments between them. 

They held their weekly 'study dates' in the common room or canteen. On rare occassions, they decided to go to a cafe near their college to be in class the next period in time. But mostly in the common room. The foods are luring them to procrastinate their studies.

Months gone by and they are closer than ever before. Sehun and Sumin are often seen walking together as if they're dating. Even received few teases by their closes friends. Sehun's new football teammates approved of their relationship as well. But after a good week of teases, they both act normal, shrugging off the teases and picked up where they left of – talking about their lives, basically ranting to one another.

 

On one fine day, Sehun gathered up his courage he has been having for months. He calculated the times Sumin smiled at him. Thinking it was because she liked him before. He thought of her laughters. It made him smile. He's being calculative now. He has been thinking about more often than usual in the past few days. He has been thinking of her. He realises that he likes her. His best advicer. His friend. His new found love. Baek Sumin. Who would have guessed it. Sehun definitely did not.

 Friday. Sunny Friday. That was when Sehun decided to confess. No preparation. No script. No classes after their free period to interrupt. Perfect, he smiled at the empty space.

Sehun put on his lucky outfit. Childish, but worth the try. He waited for Sumin to come out of her apartment building and walked to the school together. Gentleman. He smiled throughout the morning at the point that Sumin found him creepy. Optimistic is normal for him, but to smile early in the morning, not quite. He could not stop thinking of how to confess. Should've prepared that at least, he grunted at himself in his mind. His mind wandered elsewhere during their class. A module that Sehun admitted to be weak on. Great. 

As soon as the class dismissed, an idea popped in his mind. There has been a playground in between Sehun's apartment building and Sumin's. A playground where rarely kids go to. Probably there aren't much kids in their neighbourhood to have the playground crowded by. It might be a place Sumin could think what Sehun was about to do and mentally prepared for it while arriving at the scene.

 

They stood there. At the empty playground. Facing each other. Rusty steel of the swings could be heard. A light windy weather. Sumin stared at Sehun. Her mind was blank. Probably tired of thinking about her works. Sehun started by clearing his throat. And he said, 

"2 years ago, in the middle of the night, you asked me to come to the playground in our neighbourhood. You confessed to me. Without making me realise what you felt about me for all these years. You made me say a heartbreaking thing to you. The next day, when I searched for you, I found out that you moved away early in the morning. You didn't give me time to think. You just left me there. So now, I brought you here in the empty playground. It's my turn to confess. I like you. And I wish I'm not too late to receive your love back. I'll give you time to think about it. I'll give you time to reply me. So please, reconsider it.”

There was a silence between them. Tension. Sehun's eyes focused on Sumin and her eyes wandered around the ground. She was thinking. She was digesting all the words blasted at her unexpectedly. Once she stopped thinking, her eyes set to Sehun's. She walked towards him while he was glued to his spot, not knowing what to do. Then she smiled. Her eyes formed two cresent moons. Her gaze softened. 

"I never stopped liking you as I thought I would be.”  Her lips met Sehun's cheek. That made him smile. 

 

After all, timing matters. Perhaps their first confession was in the wrong timing. It needed to be perfect. The situation, their surroundings, their lives. Perhaps all they need to be together in the end was a perfect timing.