Maybe one day you’ll see the difference.

Jar of secrets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I didn't know how long I had been falling, but as every hole has an end, I felt my body bump into something and I opened my eyes in reflex. Instead of finding the darkness, I came across Vicky's intense blue eyes who smiled cheerfully and I blinked my eyes several times to ward sleep.

Sometimes I wonder why I'm the only one in the family who doesn't have blue eyes.

"It's today!" Vicky repeated the same phrase several times with a huge smile on her lips.

I didn't even have to send her to the bathroom because she did it even before I opened my mouth and I smiled because of her enthusiasm in going to day care.

I want to see if she will continue with the same enthusiasm in a few years.

"What is it today?" Alice awoke to Vicky's noise and sat down while rubbing her eyes with her small hands.

"Today is our first day of classes." She lowered her head and I didn't understand the reason for her sudden sadness since I'd told her that yesterday.

"Am I going to be alone?" She asked.

"Our maid will be with you today, but I promise that when I come back, we'll both get Vicky at school and you can ask me the questions that I know you're keeping for yourself." I grinned at her who returns the smile. "Well, I better go help Vicky otherwise she's still able to flood the entire bathroom." I joked.

A chill ran down my spine as soon as my feet touched the frozen ground and along with it came a feeling I couldn't decipher, but it was good and at the same time devastating. I got up anyway and went to Vicky who was putting shower gel on her body or at least trying. I took the sponge from her hand and took out the gel with water after correctly passing the soap through her body. She giggled as I carried her like a bag of potatoes over my right shoulder and I laughed too. I put it on the floor and after drying it with the towel, I told her to dress the uniform I had left ready yesterday in her room and together with Alice she ran out of my room.

I did the same thing as Vicky and went to take a nice shower. After getting rid of my pajamas and getting into the shower next to the tub, I felt drops of water touching my skin and I felt like I was gaining strength to face my new life.

***

After introducing Alice to Yerin who sent me a questioning look, I said goodbye to Alice and Yerin and walked with Vicky to the bus stop. I wondered how a person could have so much energy in the morning, but I think it was the anxiety she felt that gave her so much energy. After all, she's going to enter a new school and she's been home for almost two months and no child likes be locked indoors.

Our uniforms were a bit different: we both are wearing white shirts and ties. The difference was that my tie was black just like my pleated skirt and Tori's tie and skirt was red and the standard was plaid.

When I saw the bus on the horizon, I took Vicky's hot hand and we went upstairs when he stopped in front of us. I sat by the window and began to admire the landscape even though Vicky was talking. Inside the bus was warm and comfortable as opposed to outside it was pretty cold for the month of October, but I was already accustomed to the cold temperatures anyways.

***

"May I ask why you're late?" the director asked me and I noticed he was trying to intimidate me with his seriousness.

"I'm sorry I'm late. I had to take my younger sister to the kindergarten and since she was also new, I had to fill out some papers." I gave him the justification I asked for at the daycare director in case something like this would happened. "Well, I'll take you to your class. Here is your list of materials and your schedule." he handed me two sheets which I kept in my backpack and followed him through the large corridors. At the side of the classroom doors were narrow windows that led to the floor and where I could see the students almost asleep for Monday morning. Some looked at us and others ignored us, but there was a boy who waved at me energetically and I couldn't see his face because we passed quickly through his class. We stopped exactly in front of the door next to that guy's and the director knocked on the door that was opened by an old lady. As they spoke, I took a deep breath.

Take a deep breath! Now is a new stage of your life.

"Come with me." The old lady asked me kindly and I obeyed. As I entered the classroom filled with strangers with whom I would spend several hours for days, I look at my feet so as not to stumble and when we stopped, I raised my head to face my class.

"Class, her name is Park Mina and she's going to be your new classmate." the lady introduced me and I struggled to smile. "I'm Mrs. Kwon and I'll be your math teacher from now on."

"You can sit now." she said. I looked for a free table and found it in the last row near the window. I walked over to the bench and when I sat down, I overheard several whispers as if the place, which I chose, had some problem or maybe they were talking about me.

"As you don't have any books yet." she said thoughtfully. "Seulgi, can you lend your book to Mina and see it in Wendy's book?" The girl in front of me turned around and with a smile handed me her book. If she's Seulgi, then the blonde at her side should be Wendy.

As the teacher explained the current topic, I watched each of my classmates and noticed that I was the only one sitting alone. I paid no attention to this and paid attention to what the teacher was saying.

Since I already knew everything I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter