Investigation #2: Jung Kimhee

Patient #748

Taegi got to the residence and rang the doorbell.

“Coming!” she heard a loud voice call. Then the door opened, “Oh, hello.” a girl with short, light brown hair greeted with confusion written all over her face.

Taegi bowed, “Good evening. I’m Hwang Taegi, psychiatrist.” The girl nodded. Taegi continued, “Are you by any chance Jung Kimhee?”

“Yes...” Kimhee trailed off, more confused as ever.

“If it’s okay with you, may I ask you some questions involving Moon Nayeon?”

Kimhee felt like her heart was going stop, “Ah, of course. Please, come in.”

 

Jung Kimhee. A close friend of patient 748.” Taegi whispered to the recorder.

“Uh, excuse me for asking but, why exactly am I being questioned?”

Taegi sat the recorder down, “You were friends with Nayeon, am I correct?” Taegi replied, emphasizing every word.

Kimhee nodded, feeling the older's words pierce her heart.

Taegi cleared and continued, “What happened between you and Nayeon? I heard that you two were BFF’s.” she said, trying to get used to the language being used in this generation.

Kimhee took a deep breath, “There were three of us. Me, Nayeon, and Kang Raena.”

“And what happened?” Taegi asked.

Kimhee took a quick breath, “This Hoya oppa of hers was all she talked about. Raena and I wanted to see him, so one day we were spying on her after school.” she scoffed, “He was nothing like she said he was.”

Date: March 14, 2008 | Age: 15

“Raena,” Kimhee protested while getting dragged by her other best friend, “This is wrong.”

“But Kimi,” Raena whined, “Don’t you wanna see how this ‘Hoya oppa’,” the girl mimicked in a high-pitched voice, “of hers looks like?”

Kimhee couldn't lie, she wanted to see how he looked. Nayeon was always talking about him, she wanted to see the guy herself. “Yeah but–”

“Then let’s go!” she continued dragging Kimhee.

“Raena,” Kimhee complained, “What if–” was covered by Raena’s.

“There she is,” Raena whispered. They hid behind a pillar and peeked.

They both saw their best friend waiting patiently near the flagpole, where she always stayed at.

“This is a bad idea, let’s go.” she pulled Raena’s arm.

Raena pulled Kimhee back, “Look!”

They both turned saw Nayeon jump up, “Hoya, you’re here!”

The two girls gasped.

In their eyes, Nayeon was hugging thin air. Talking, laughing, and hitting thin air.

“What’s–”

“She doing?” Kimhee finished off for her friend.

Raena shook her head and rubbed her eyes, “Am I missing something here?”

Kimhee got the chills, “Maybe we should–”

“Nayeon-ah!” Raena yelled out and ran to her best friend.

“Raena!” Kimhee hissed and chased her friend.

Nayeon turned around with that same huge smile on her face, “Oh, perfect,” she ran to the two girls, “Raena, Kimhee, this is Hoya,” she gestured to ‘Hoya’.

But all the girls saw was the flag pole.

Nayeon went and laced her arm with Hoya’s, “These two are my best friends. Jung Kimhee and Kang Raena.”

Raena and Kimhee’s jaws dropped and their eyes bulged out. “N-Nayeon-ah..” Kimhee whispered, “Who are you ta–”

“Oh,” Nayeon looked at her watch, “We’re gonna be late!” She turned to her two best friends, “Sorry, Hoya oppa and I are gonna go watch a movie before he goes back.” She grinned at the two of them, “Wanna join?”

The two shook their head, still shocked.

“Okay, well, see you two tomorrow! Bye!” she said cheerfully and walked off with ‘Hoya’.

“...I wanted to be reasonable about this,” Kimhee said,”I thought, okay maybe Yeonnie is just lonely since she is an only child and she made up this Hoya character to make up for a real brother.” She started tearing up, “But Raena and I were so scared.” Her head was in her hands, “She would also talk about him like he was a real person!” she cried. “Raena said that she was frightened of Nayeon. She didn’t want to stay with Nayeon anymore. She wanted me to leave Nayeon with her.” She cried hysterically, “But I couldn’t!”

Taegi handed her a tissue and felt the younger girl’s pain reach her.

“She’s my best friend. For crying out loud she’s like the sister I never had.” Her lips trembled and she shook her head, “But I was terrified. I wanted to be supportive. Patient, hoping this was just a short phase which would slowly go away on its own. But I was just so scared. She was in love with him.” Kimhee stretched out the words and sighed deeply.

Taegi nodded, “When and why did you decide to leave?” she asked sternly, not forgetting what her job was.

Kimhee sniffled, “I guess I just couldn’t take it anymore. I just–I told her I couldn’t keep up with her anymore.” She sighed and wiped her running nose with the tissue, “Raena moved to Seoul so I was left to find my own friends.” She exhaled and turned to Taegi, “Do you know how painful it is to hear people talk badly of your best friend,” she choked, “But not being able to do anything about it because–because it’s true. She lost her mind. She was talking to thin air–nothing, nada, as if it were talking to her back. She played, laughed, joked, and hit it as if there was a person there with her that was doing the same thing back to her.” She whispered with tears continually making it’s way down her face, “Everyone called her the crazy girl, psychotic , mentally-ill lunatic.” She bit her bottom lip, “But I couldn’t do anything; I didn’t do anything.” she corrected herself. “Call me a bad person but I didn’t want to be isolated from everyone like her.” She stammered. ”If I defended her, I–I would be like her also. Alone, ridiculed, bullied, taunted, and made fun of–a laughing stock.” Kimhee looked at Taegi in the eyes, “So I kept my mouth shut and my opinions to myself. Ignoring all of the things being said about her and pretended like I didn’t hear squat.”

Taegi blinked the stinging sensation in her eyes away. Hearing all the pain and dilemma that Kimhee had to go through was hard to hear. High school was tough, but it was tougher when your friend was that crazy girl that everyone picked on. She turned off her recorder, “I think we’re done here. Thank you so much for doing this.”

Kimhee sighed for the last time and nodded, “No problem.” She walked Taegi out the door and bowed,”Have a safe drive back.”

Taegi nodded,”Have a good night. Thank you for your cooperation.” She got in her car drove home.

Her phone rang off and she her blue tooth, “Hello?” she answered.

“Hey, whatever happened to call me when you get there?” scolded Minrin.

Taegi chuckled, “Sorry, I just went to get more info about Moon Nayeon.” she explained.

“You mean Patient 748?” Minrin scoffed, “You’re really growing an interest in this one aren’t you?”

Taegi paused. It was true. Something about her case just made her want to find out what it was. Usually, in cases like these, it’d be little kids around the age of 4-8 or someone who was mentally impaired. But in Nayeon’s case, she was 17 and had someone with her; an imaginary companion. She was normal. Not mentally or physically impaired, according to her files. There had to be a reason behind this. It couldn’t just pop up out of nowhere without a purpose. She was determined to find out what it was.

“Hello? You there?” Minrin’s voice called bringing her back.

“Yeah, I’m driving so I have to go.”

“I know, just wanted to let you know that we have another session with her tomorrow.” Minrin reminded.

Taegi nodded and hung up. She was anticipating on their session with Nayeon. “I’ll find out. I will.”