Session #1: First meet

Patient #748

Taegi walked in the room, where the scared girl was located. Nayeon sat on the chair, shoulders sunken in. Fear was evident in the young girl’s face. “I’m not crazy,” she said with a small voice as the doctor sat down.

“Nayeon,” Taegi called softly, “you don’t need to be scared of me. My name is Hwang Taegi and I’m here to help.” She put her hand over Nayeon’s, “You could think of me as a sister.”

She knew that Nayeon was an only child. The girl softened, “Okay, Taegi.”

“I’ll be asking you some questions and I want you to answer them, okay?” Nayeon nodded and Taegi took out her tape recorder. “Patient 748. Nayeon, Moon. Date of birth: December 14th, 1994. Age 17. Height: 167 cm. Weight 50 kg.” She looked at her patient, “So, tell me when you started seeing this man.”

“Oh, you mean Hoya?” she said with a smile.

How the name rolled off so casually made the hair on the back of her hair stand up. Taegi cleared , “Yes, tell me about Hoya.”

“I met him in 7th grade, specifically on my birthday.”

Date: December 14, 2006 | Age: 12

Nayeon waited by the flagpole for her parents to pick her up. All the other kids were gone and it was just her left, waiting alone. She exhaled a breath of fog and let it hit her face. Cupping her cold face with her hands, Nayeon let out shaky breaths trying not to let the cold weather get to her. It was winter and all she had on was her school uniform, a thin scarf, and a pair of gloves. In the bitterly cold weather, she checked the time again.

“3:30?” she sighed as she slipped her phone in her pocket, “School ended at 2:40. Where could they be?” She slid down and hugged her knees, “Where are they?”

A backpack was thrown next to her and she looked up at the person. It was a boy her age, perhaps a bit older. He was taller than any boys she knew, had smooth darker skin, and was insanely handsome. He smiled at her, “You look like you need company.”

“Who are you?” She had never seen this guy before.

“Hoya.” He sat down on the backpack next to her, “Lee Hoya.” He took off his coat and put it over her to give her extra warmth. She tensed up and he laughed, “Think of me as a friend.”

“Friend?”

“Yep, friend.” He got up and helped her to stand up, “But you can call me Hoya oppa.” Grabbing their stuff, he stopped to look at her. She was quiet and stared at him. “What? Forgot how to speak?” He hooked their backpacks over his arm, “Here, let me help you.” He grabbed her cheeks and pulled them, “Ho. Ya. Op. Pa.” He enunciated for her.

She winced and pulled away from him, “Oppa,” she unknowingly winced.

He laughed wholeheartedly. “See, there we go!” He took her hand, “Let's go.”

“But my parents.” As if on cue her phone rang; it was her mother. Nayeon turned away from Hoya and answered the phone. “Mom, where are you?” she asked in a hushed voice as she cupped her phone.

“Yeon-ah,” her mother said over the phone. “Sorry, your father and I are at a very important meeting right now. I know it's your birthday today but this was very last minute.”

Nayeon looked down upon hearing her mother’s lame apology.

“I'm sorry, honey. Maybe we can do something tomorrow.”

“Yes, mom.”

“Okay, bye I love you.”

“Love you, too,” she said then hung up. She turned around and jumped; Hoya was right behind her. “Oh gosh,” she sighed as she held her breath, “You scared me.”

He took her hand. “Where are you taking me?” She asked.

He gave her that warm smile again, “Let's go. It's your birthday, isn't it? Let's go celebrate it, silly.”

“...That day was so fun.” Nayeon smiled, recalling the good memories. “We went to the mall and ate ice cream. He even bought me a teddy bear. We named it Hoyeon Gom. After that day I started seeing Hoya every month. But every time we do hang out, we’d often get awfully mean stares from people.”

“Nayeon,” the psychiatrist called, “Did it ever cross your mind that Hoya isn't real?” she suggested, not trying to offend the younger.

She shook her head, “No,” she objected, “he is real," she said completely convinced. “I can see him, I can hear his voice, I can feel his touch, and I remember his scent. If that's not real then I don't know what reality is anymore.”

Taegi stopped the tape recorder. “Okay Nayeon, that's it for today.”

She stood up and played with her fingers, “I won't be going home, huh?”

Taegi shook her head and gave her a sympathetic frown, “I'm sorry sweetie.”

The teen sighed, “It's fine. Thank you for being so kind to me.” She was assisted to her assigned room and later down on the bed. She held her teddy bear in her arms and looked at the texture of the bumpy ceiling.

“I'm not crazy,” she said to the bear, “I don't need this.” Nayeon shut her eyes and deeply sighed. “14 more days and I get to see him again.”


EDIT 071414: So I was editing this story and this chapter was completely changed and different, deleted in a way so I had to rewrite it. Ahuhuu TToTT probably not as good as the original but this was written from memory. #creys5ever