Final

Christmas Spirit

 

Baekhyun has never been an easy friend. Even though they clicked at the very first moment of the faithful meeting of two of them – collage library, way too many books in Jongdae's hands, a can of soda in Baekhyun’s, a mess two seconds later, big laughs five seconds after that -, Jongdae is still utterly dumbfounded by Byun Baekhyun at times.

Like right now, when Baekhyun is supposed to listen to the guy in front of him ordering some latte with a rather dull face but instead he’s leaning over to Jongdae, who’s handling the coffee machine, to plant a kiss on his friend’s cheek.

The loud smack is resounding in Jongdae’s ears and finds him surprised enough to spill some coffee.

„Byun Baekhyun, what the .”

The other chuckles, eyes crinkling with delight.

„Was it good?”

„I have no one to compare you to.”

„Oh. Are you offering?”

In all honesty, Jongdae isn’t, at least he wasn’t when he blurted that sentence out pretty much without thinking but… maybe he is. Baekhyun isn’t supposed to know that though. Jongdae is bad at transitioning from friends to boyfriends. And probably Baekhyun isn’t even interested in him, just messes with his mind (and tugs at his heart), like a true, shameless flirt.

So Jongdae stays silent and actually finishes the order Table 9 has asked for ages ago.

From the corner of his eyes, he sees Baekhyun still turned towards him but Bored Customer has regained his sense in the meantime and is now demanding his drink.

Jongdae lets out a huff of breath relieved, free for a while from Baekhyun’s curious face. If he lets the topic cool, Baekhyun probably won’t bring it up again. Until then, maybe the rosiness of his cheeks and the pounding of his heart will ease down too. Perfect.
 

 

 



Jongdae could barely recover from the shock of getting a kiss from Baekhyun, when the next day the latter welcomes him at work with a big hug… and a kiss on the temple.

„The hell you doing”, Jongdae parts from the act instantly, rubbing the spot has just been touched by the object of his affection his friend, Baekhyun.

Said friend remains smiling like he has done nothing out of the ordinary.

„Yesterday I wasn’t sure but now I clearly see your embarrassed face so don’t try to make me believe you don’t like it.”

„Have I said I don’t? Jeez, let me breathe, I’ve just arrived.”

Jongdae shuffles into the kitchen as quick as lightning after his words. He did not confess his crush but he did say he likes when Baekhyun is being like that to him. It most likely has raised Baekhyun’s spirits and now he’s planning his next move of torture.

It’d be stupid to deny though that it’s a sweet way of torture though. And that Jongdae doesn’t mind it as long as Baekhyun’s lips are touching him, anywhere. (He could continue with kissing his feet... Metaphorically, of course. The little should pay some respect for all the times Jongdae has taken over a shift for him.)

 

 



Maybe it’s because of that realization that Jongdae takes it a lot more easier that Baekhyun continues with kissing his nape on Friday.

He’s doing the dishes when soft lips touch the sensitive part of his neck. It makes him shiver but he only says.

„This is kind of getting old.”

Baekhyun snorts in amusement, settling by the sink, on Jongdae’s right side.

„I don’t have the element of surprise now, do I?”

„Totally not.”

„You’re still embarrassed though.”

Jongdae bites his lip and doesn’t stop scrubbing the plate in his hands. Baekhyun is a flirt. He’s doing all this stuff so he can enjoy your reactions, Jongdae speaks to himself in his mind. Be a good friend slash strong human and don’t give that pleasure to him. It doesn’t matter that he’s right.

Jongdae feels his face flaming. If Baekhyun makes a comment on that, he should blame their worrywart boss Junmyeon for heating up the coffee shop too much.

But Baekhyun doesn’t say anything. He is just watching as Jongdae takes up another plate to scrub that clean too until a customer comes to the counter to order.

 

 

 



Baekhyun goes on with his kissing game the next week too, one kiss per day, very meticulous and consistent - he never kisses the same place and never lingers long enough for Jongdae to take it as something meaningful. To say Jongdae is frustrated under his mask of nonchalance is an understatement but he makes no move to voice it out.

By the end of the week Jongdae has his forehead, palm, fingers, neck, nose, and ear (both, one after another) kissed. His emotions are choking him and he is torn between telling Baekhyun the hell off and returning the action the with their friendship.
When even on Sunday they are called in both (Junmyeon had bribed them with a pay rise which he must keep or else), Jongdae snaps.

Baekhyun’s triumphant smile after successfully placing a kiss on Jongdae’s chin disappears as the latter kisses him right there too.

„Jongdae.”

„Was it good?” Jongdae asks with a grin, only his hands shaking with anticipation under the table they are sitting at, slurping on latte macchiatos during lunch break. Since his friend is positively speechless, he continues without missing a beat. ”You don’t have to answer. I think I’m just high on something. Christmas spirit or something like that, given the season. Yeah, probably that.”

The rest of the shift passes with no verbal interaction between them. It’s weird because Baekhyun is a chatterbox and Jongdae becomes one too in such company so they usually bicker a lot, make fun of strange fashion choices of customers and try guessing personalities from coffee choices.

Jongdae is almost afraid he did something wrong. But then, when Baekhyun is mad at him, he throws a fit and whines until he gets the apology he is waiting for. Baekhyun does look tense all day. However, his smile flashed at customers is genuine and as Jongdae experiences, is the same handsy if not more. Baekhyun pokes Jongdae in the cheek when he dozes off mid-brew. Puts a supporting hand on his back before Jongdae leaves the counter balancing a tray of four cup of tea. Wipes his non-existent sweat after arriving back empty-handed. Massages his shoulders praising his strength and coffee brewing abilities. And not-so-subtle pats down his when Jongdae leans down to get the tablecloth he dropped.

Jongdae doesn’t think these are signs of refusal. These maybe aren’t signs of reciprocation of his feelings either but Baekhyun has obviously no serious problem with his sudden counterattack. He must be thinking this way they are even and a bit upset as well for not counting with it beforehand.

One thing for sure, Jongdae is glad they are good.

Feeling relieved at the neutral feedback, Jongdae waits until Baekhyun emerges from the kitchen, now dressed in winter coat and an adorable hat, and steps to him with a smile and an offer for a visit to the Christmas market.

„It’s not like I have anything else to do, and as I know, you don’t have either so -”

„Wrong.”

Jongdae stops, startled. Did he read the situation wrong or…?

„You have something to do?”

„Seriously, Jongdae?!”

Without waiting for more horrible guesses, Baekhyun jumps on his friend not-so-secret crush and kisses him on the place he has wanted the longest, his delectable lips.

Jongdae lets out a little gasp of surprise but doesn’t let the opportunity go to waste and kisses back just as long, sweet and meaningful apparently all of Baekhyun’s kisses have been he was just too dumb and numb in the name of friendship to recognize.
 

 

 




„So, all those kisses -”

„Yeah.”

„All this time -”

„Ever since I’ve spilled soda on your shirt and your beautiful smile shone at me.”

„I was cackling like a goose.”

„The sound of it was less attractive but I was too blinded to care.”

„Oh my God, I love your cheesiness… I mean-”

„I love you too.”
 

 

 





They kiss a lot afterwards. In the coffee shop, in their respective apartments and in the one they buy to live in together months later. On the streets too, when Jongdae is too sleepy to stop Baekhyun from making others uncomfortable with their constant PDA. He only lets his now-boyfriend slide when Junmyeon finds them in the middle of a hot makeout.


That bastard still haven’t given them their pay rise, he deserves to suffer.