Pancakes for Breakfast (full story)

Pancakes for Breakfast

He smiles as he sees the sunlight kissing the cheeks of the sleeping boy beside him and he couldn’t help but smile and wonder how he ended up here. It seemed more like a dream until the boy’s eyes slowly opened, revealing a dark pair of circles that turned into crescents, and it did take him to who knows where. The boy, brushes the hair falling over his face, then he says,

 

“Good morning, Baek!” 

 

Baekhyun smiles once more, he feels the warmth of the boy’s hand gracing over his cheeks. “Good morning, Chanyeol!” He beams over.

 

Chanyeol rises only to lie on his tummy just to see Baekhyun’s face clearly and then he brings his lips close to the other’s forehead – I love you. Baekhyun scrunches his nose and Chanyeol does not forget to kiss it too – I love you. Before Baekhyun could grin, Chanyeol kisses his lips chastely – I love you. They both smiled as Chanyeol pulled away and that’s where Baekhyun says,

 

“I love you too, Yeol.”

 

Chanyeol lets out a smirk and rolls out of the bed, “I’m making pancakes today so better get your lazy up before I finish them all by myself!”

 

“Well, as if you have the guts to do that!”

 

Chanyeol laughs as he runs downstairs while Baekhyun stays in the same position as the other left him. He rolls to Chanyeol’s side of the bed and it’s funny to think that even if it’s the two of them who sleep within the same sheets, Chanyeol’s side always smelled so much like Chanyeol. The warmth envelops him until the smell of pancakes filled the air, he runs down to take the seat in their little dining set as Chanyeol places a plate of towering pancakes between them. He looks at Baekhyun knowingly and hands him the maple syrup.

 

“It’s your turn, today.” Chanyeol says.

 

Baekhyun nods excitedly as he grabs the maple syrup and lets the pancakes shower in it. Chanyeol doesn’t like the taste of the maple syrup but what could he do, then? Was taste more important than Byun Baekhyun?

 

Baekhyun gets the pancakes on top and reserves the bottom ones for Chanyeol – the lesser the syrup the better, he thinks. He pours coffee into their mugs as he hums a melody a little too familiar. Chanyeol takes a sip of the coffee and smiles like it’s their first breakfast together because it always feels that way. It’s the first time for today, so it’s still the first time isn’t it? Then he shakes his head disapprovingly of that foolish question replacing it with a sentence,

 

This is why I love mornings.

 

“Teach me how to cook, Yeol!” Baekhyun blurts out.

 

“I won’t.”

 

“Yes you will!”

“No I won’t.”

 

“But, you will soon right?”

 

“Not now, not ever.”

 

“Why?” Baekhyun pouts – sometimes Chanyeol just likes to disagree to see that pretty little pout.

 

“Because I like it this way,” He looks at him before he continues, “I like us this way.”

 

Baekhyun laughs and responds, “I’ll do the dishes then.”

 

He grabs the empty plates and the mugs both still half-full. He brings them to the sink, draining the mugs from the coffee as its aroma lingers the air. He hums once more and Chanyeol approaches him from behind, his long arms finding its way around Baekhyun’s waist, his jaw resting on Baekhyun’s shoulders and from this view you could tell that they they’re just the perfect fit. Baekhyun giggles from the sudden tickling down his shoulders and then continues to wash the dishes this way. He wipes his hands on the towel just beside the sink until Chanyeol lets him go.

 

“Let’s go out! I’ll drive!” He whispers into Baekhyun’s ear.

 

“Chanyeol, I-I have lots of things to do...”

 

“Byun Baekhyun, shut it.  We’re picking the twins together today, remember? You promised we’d go together this time.”

 

“But I have to bring the music sheets to the studio and I have to practice and-“

 

Chanyeol kisses his lips and stops the boy before he could complete his sentence, “I’ll take you there so stop worrying.”

 

Baekhyun smiles at the sound of Chanyeol’s voice – it always made him feel safe and comfortable. Besides who was he to say no? He did promise, and no matter how hectic his day might be, a day spent with him would be as productive as all the pieces he could ever write.

 

Baekhyun fixes his music sheets and places them inside his bag, he writes on a piece of post-it and sticks it to Chanyeol’s forehead as he turns to face him. He smacks it just enough so as not to let it fall. Chanyeol places his hand on Baekhyun’s back then he brings him closer to him, leaning just slightly and with a hushed tone, he says

 

“What’s this for?”

 

“Our itinerary” Baekhyun smiles, good thing Chanyeol’s eyes were covered by that small piece of paper because it was the only thing that kept him from falling on his knees. He feels his legs slowly melting and getting weak and it feels like this every time Chanyeol brings him close, enveloped in his arms. It always, always feels like their 18, in highschool, and still playing that love sick game but now they’re no longer 18 and this is not just a game – it was a marriage for heaven’s sake.

 

“Am I your chauffer?” Chanyeol jokes.

 

“Let’s go!” Baekhyun laughs as he walks away from Chanyeol, throwing the keys of the car to the other’s direction, just in time for him to catch it. He removes the sticky note on his forehead and sees Baekhyun’s little hand writing,

 

Studio

Twins

Park

Jongin and Kyungsoo’s

Home <3

 

“It’s going to be long day, Chanyeol.” He warns.

 

“Yes and I can’t wait to make it longer!” He smiles. If this day could go on for the following days, he wouldn’t care. In fact, he doesn’t care if he needed to keep paying for the gas, or if he had to keep on driving Baekhyun to places because being with him is enough to keep him busy for a day; not that he’s a jobless man.  It’s just that everyday it’s like he’s forgetting that they already tied the knot, that Baekhyun isn’t going anywhere, and it’s also everyday that he remembers why he chose to marry him. Upon looking at Baekhyun in the passenger seat, he already found his answer.

 

Chanyeol sees the answer first thing in the morning, when he tries to peek amid pretending to be asleep while Baekhyun stares at him. He sees the answer every time he gets a taste of that maple syrup he used to hate. He sees the answer every time Baekhyun would nag at him, again and again and again and he will never get tired of it. He sees the answer in him but maybe the answers aren’t within Byun Baekhyun because Byun Baekhyun is the answer himself.

 

5 years, 6 months, 3 weeks, 5 days, 1 pair of twins and counting and still, the answer is you – always, always you, Baek. He thinks and just in that moment, Baekhyun stops his humming and looks at him and smiles lovingly and gleefully.

 

It’s always you, Yeol – always. Baekhyun thinks.