VII:Petals of Mystery~ 七: 謎の花びら(Nana: Nazo no hanabira)

Beyond the Cherry Blossom Shower~桜のシャワーの超えて(Sakura no shawaa no koete) (KyuWook fanfic!)

April 9, 2016 

Bzzz!

The vibration in my jeans pocket catches me off guard. I look at Tsuutenkaku tower peeking out from the cluster of colourful buildings. I wish I can stay on this train for two or three rounds because I want to look at the metal structure which sparkles in the sunlight. 

Yesung: Hey! Let's go for Takoyaki and maybe a walk at Kena Sakuranomiya Park? Maybe at around 6 pm? 

I quickly reply, "Sure. I'll be there." before getting off the train just in time. 

      "Ryeowookie!" a familiar voice makes me jump. Kyuhyun zigzags through the crowd and waves at me. 

      "Hi, Kyuhyun!" I wave back, "What are you doing here?" 

      "Well, I have a little free time since I've finished my lab assignment, and the next deadline isn't till two weeks after, so I thought I drop by here to get some fresh air," he replies while tucking his hands into his pants pockets. 

      "Ah, I see," I nod, "Good for you." 

      "What about you? What are you doing here?" I notice his eyes glued to the basket of fruits and a thermos flask I am carrying. 

      "Oh! I'm on my way to the hospital." 

       He stares at me. I hold back a giggle that is clinging at the back of my throat. "Why? Are you sick?" 

      "Of course not! I'm going there to see Mr. Lau." 

      "Ah! Henry's Dad?" 

      "Yeah! I've been trying to find a time to visit him, and now's finally the time to do so." 

      "That's good. You've finally got to see him." 

      "Well, you can come too." His face immediately lit up like a kid who sees a lollipop. 

      "Really? You sure?" 

      "Why not?" Besides, Mr. Lau doesn't know that I'm coming, but Henry has told me the hospital's address." 

      "So you're just going to surprise him? He might get a sudden heart attack." I roll my eyes. His sarcasm is still as alive as a growing plant. 

      "Oh, come on! I haven't seen him in years! I want to surprise him to see whether he still remembers me." To my surprise, his mischievous look switches into a softer smile. 

      "Of course, he still remembers you, Ryeowook."

       I tilt my head to my right. "How do you know?"

      "I still bought his Takoyaki and talked to him even when you moved away." he explained, "He missed having you as one of his favourite customers. He even hated seeing us absent without you around. He found out that he was sick a few days before Lunar New Year this year. He had to close down his stall because of his doctor's appointments, and we all were shocked and worried about him. When I visited him a few times, he always looked very pale and tired. Almost like the colour of the paper. But one thing that surprises me, even until today, is he always has a glint of hope in his eyes. He seems that he's not giving up yet. He doesn't want to die just yet. He has raised Henry so well until Henry takes over his business after classes. Henry is even like a younger brother to me. He also still talks about you sometimes. He wonders how you have been in the States. He wishes that you will come back to Japan, and his wish eventually comes true."

     "Well," I smile, "I'm here, so...that's why I'm gonna see him now." Kyuhyun smiles back. He keeps a feet distance away on my right as we climb up the stairs to exit the train station. 

      "By the way," I say, "I thought you don't like travelling." 

       He raises his eyebrow, "What do you mean?" 

      "You've told me before that you hate taking the bus and train. Why did you take the train today?" 

      "I don't know," he shrugs, "I think I feel like giving my car a vacation today. You know, I don't wanna waste gas or anything for a change." He looks at me with wide eyes when he hears me laughing. 

     "What? What's so funny about that?" 

      "I've never seen you like this before." I catch my breath, "You're weird, Cho Kyuhyun!" 

      His ears become red, but he still stares at me in surprise. "Wh...what's wrong with taking a change of my routine anyway? Geez, Ryeowookie, if you don't like me taking the train and bumping into you, then fine. Whatever. I don't care."

      I pat him on the shoulder. "Hey! Hey! Don't take it too seriously. I like the new you." 

      His grouchiness vanishes immediately. "Thanks." 

                                                           *                                          *                                         *

      "Excuse me," I ask, "do you know which room Jason Lau is in?" The receptionist talks back in Japanese. I quickly think of words to say, but my mind turns into a blank slate. To my relief, Kyuhyun steps forward and explains to her. 

       "You should be thankful that I'm here," he chuckles, "otherwise, there will be a language barrier." 

        I pout.  "Well, my Japanese is still as rusty as ever. I'll find time to brush it up." 

       "You know, Ryeowookie," he says, "I'll be happy to help you with it." 

       "That'll be great. Thanks." 

        Walking through the echoey corridor of the hospital makes my heart heavy. Four nurses roll paralyzed men in wheelchairs. One woman holds onto her crunches as she waits for the wheelchairs to pass through. A man rubs circles on his lover's back to calm her down from crying over the sudden death of her father. The atmosphere is just miserable. I feel Kyuhyun's arm brushes against mine. I turn to see him looking at me; his warm eyes beckon me that Mr. Lau won't end up just like the patients we pass by. He will recover soon. 

        "Which room is he in again?" Kyuhyun asks. 

        "420." I answer, "I'm pretty sure it's on this floor." 

        "Oh! Is this it?" he points through the opened curtains of a window. Mr. Lau is sitting on his bed while staring at the white glowing screen of an iPad. 

        "Is that...him?" I exclaim. His face still looks the same. He doesn't seem to be as pale as what Kyuhyun has told me. The only thing that I have not seen before is a small, shiny sheen of his head that is left by the thinning of his grey hair. 

        "It sure is him." he nods, "Come on!" Once he pushes the door open, the patient looks up and puts down the tablet.  

        "My oh my! Ryeowook-chan! Is that you?" he gasps. 

        "It's been so long, Mr. Lau." I grin. I throw my arms around his tall but skinny figure. 

        "You've grown into a fine young man! How have you been?" he asks. 

        "I've been good." I reply, "I'm back here for a year." 

        "A year?" his brow furrows, "I thought you'd be here longer." 

        "Well," I explain, "I'm studying at Kansai University for an exchange program. I can't change anything." 

        "I understand," he nods, "Although I wish you'll be here for good because Kyuhyun-chan looks lonely without you." I peek at Kyuhyun, who looks down at his sneakers. His face is slightly red. 

        "But he has Yesung and his other friends." I point out. 

         "I know," he says, "but I can see that he's much happier when you're around. He's been talking excitedly about you ever since you come back. He's also relieved that you remember him as your childhood friend." 

         "Even he recognizes you right away. His memory is way better than yours." Kyuhyun smirks. He was standing a few inches away from me. I slap him in his left bicep. 

         "Hey! At least I didn't forget you completely!" I glare. Kyuhyun snorts as he laughs. 

         We spent more than an hour catching up with our lives. He brags on Kyuhyun, who helps Henry with his math homework and teaches him a little Korean to speak with Korean visitors. Surprisingly, Henry now can flirt with Korean girls. Thanks to Kyuhyun, Henry has lure girls with his charm and cheesy pickup lines, which surprisingly work. 

         "That reminds me!" Mr. Lau says, "I have something to tell you."

         "What is it?" I ask. 

         "I've been saving this story for a while now." he replies, "Now that you two are older, it's time for me to tell this story."

         "I would like to hear it!" I smile, "I miss your storytelling." I notice him looking at Kyuhyun.

         "I guess I can spare a little more time of my break," Kyuhyun says as he leans back against the chair. 

        "素晴らしい (subarashii- wonderful)!" Mr. Lau grins. 

                                                         *                                                *                                                      *

30 years ago...

         Mr. Lau was an international student from Toronto. He was in his final year of university, but he was still unsure about what he could do with biomedical engineering, a four-year degree he found useless. The only things he liked were music and cooking, but of course, such courses didn't exist back then. He wanted to drop out when it was his last term because he couldn't take all of the pressure anymore. He couldn't even find a purpose in life. 

         His whole life changed when he took a stroll by the river of Kena Sakuranomiya Park one evening. He saw a woman who wore a bright red beret, sitting on a stool at one side of the river. Her eyes darted from the water to an easel stood in front of her. As he took a closer look, he saw her painting a portrait of two people standing on a bridge. He couldn't see what the couple looked like because they were merely black figures. They seemed to be watching the sun sinking between the hills. The hues of gold and orange in the sky reflected on the water. He was curious about cherry blossom petals scattered all over the painting like rain. When he looked away from the art, he didn't see one single tree with flowers blooming. It was only March.

        "Looking for something, sir?" the lady asked. She turned her head with a friendly smile. 

       "Oh! Uh...no...I'm just looking at the painting you're working on." he shook his head, "I think it's amazing." 

        "Why, thank you," she giggled, "I'm just painting what I see in my mind." 

         "In your mind?" he repeated. 

         "What you see is just like the scenery here," she explained, "but what I see is a vision of the future." 

         "That sounds creepy." He jumped a little when she threw her head back as she laughed. She put down her paintbrush.

        "It's not like the future may be destructive or something." she said, "What I see is something magical will happen right here in this park. You see, this park is no ordinary park. Legend has it that the gods have hidden an eternal love charm in the sakura trees. The charm struggles to escape every spring. Even when the wind blows, the petal shower is not the strongest." 

        "What exactly does the love charm do?" 

        "It releases all boundaries of love. The charm has to be released so that people won't view love as a negative thing. They think that love is just a feeling that won't last long; it will be replaced with angst and hatred. If the charm is not released one day, out of the blue, the world will no longer have love but hate."

        "That's not possible." 

        "Easy for you to say, sir." she frowned, "The world is complicated because it has a mixture of both love and hate. Bad news happens because of a lack of love. Yes, there's still a lot of people who have sympathy and show empathy over those who need help, comfort, and support. But one day, the whole world will fall under the curse of darkness, violence and false hope. Love won't even exist if the charm is not released." 

        Chills crawled down his spine as he imagined what would the world be like if love was not present. "Is there anything we can do?" 

        She took a deep breath. "The only way to free the charm is to find the destined couple." 

        "Who?" 

        "The destined couple," she answered, "will stand on both sides of the river a distance away from the stone bridge. They will look at each other, and their heartbeats will synchronize. This will create the strongest wind you've never felt before — kind of like a hurricane. And then, the biggest cherry blossom shower will happen. The charm will also be set free. It will protect the world from the wrath of hate. And as for those who have found the destined couple will receive a blessing as well." 

         It was a lot for him to take in. The artist noticed the blank look on his face and pointed at the shadowy couple in her painting. "We may not know who the destined couple is, but what we can know is that they will save the world. If the couple knows that they love each other forever, the charm will sense their hearts and break free into a spell that will spread the whole world with love." 

        "Maybe I can help," he said. He saw her smiling back; eyes were glinting with hope. She removed the pegs and took the painting off the easel. 

         "Here. You can have it." 

          His eyes widened. "But it's your work." 

         "This painting is meant to be for you. I have a vision that someone will come to help me to find the two lovers. And that person is you. I can see that your heart wavers when you focus on your priorities, but your heart glows when you do the things you enjoy." 

         "But...how does this painting going to help me with it?" 

          "I've used a special kind of paint for this portrait," she said softly. Oddly, he could hear her. "When the charm senses the couple, the shadows in this painting will reveal the two persons. You won't see their faces, but you will see their backs. I'm sure you will know who they are. I have a good feeling that you will recognize them and get them together to release the charm." 

          "So, this painting will give me a clue?" he caught up. 

          "Exactly." she nodded, "but I should warn you that it won't be easy. The couple may face complications in their relationship. If you can find them, keep an eye on them and even help them with their problems with each other, they will know their deepest, fondest feelings with each other, and they will awaken the love spell." 

          "Don't worry. I'll do my best to make it happen."  

          "Thank you so much, Jason."

          He nearly dropped the painting. "H...how do you know my name?" 

          "I just have a feeling." she winked. 

          "Well then...what's your name?" 

          "I don't have to tell you mine," she said as she turned away, "because you will not see me again." 

           How can you be so sure?" 

          "I won't be here, that's all you have to know." she replied as she glanced back, "But I'm happy that I've met you, Jason, because I've done what I want to do. You are the person who will help me to unlock the secret of the cherry blossoms in this park. I wish you the best of luck." 

           Mr. Lau couldn't find words to say. He watched in awe as the lady walked down the trail. He realized that he could do something in his life. Right after he finished university, he used up every last bit of his savings to buy a couple of large iron pans as well as other necessary tools to make his specialty, Japanese octopus balls. He also purchased a food cart that he attached to his bicycle. The science degree he studied went to waste, but he was happy that he had found a way to make a living. One thing he looked forward to every day was to peek at every customer who dropped by or strollers who passed by his Takoyaki stall. He spotted for any signs of shyness, attraction, closeness, empathy, innocence, or even flirtiness. However, though he had his fingers crossed, not even one of his customers lured the charm. Still, he didn't stop. He delighted countless customers with his delicacy. He felt like the happiest man in the world when he was married to Sonya, a music teacher, and revisit me with their son, Henry.  

         Once Henry was brought to Mr. Lau's life, he wanted to pass on his secret mission to him when he got older. He didn't know when will the world collapse, so he hoped that his son would help him to keep an eye on the anonymous couple in case something unexpected happen. He nearly gave up until he met two boys approached at the head of the trail. Their white and blue elementary school uniforms contrasted with the soft golden hues of the sunset. Once they saw Mr. Lau flipping the golden balls with a toothpick, their mouth instantly watered, and their eyes bulged. They ordered a set of six Takoyaki; the taller one with brown hair waved a 500 Yen coin in the air. Mr. Lau saw how close they were; they seemed that they cared for each other. He watched as they took turns to pop food into each other's mouths. 

         Suddenly, he felt as if his whole body was about to lift off the earth. Tiny waves rose from the river; they crashed against the rocks, a little too far from escaping from the river banks. The trees released their freshly-bloomed cherry blossoms. Mr. Lau watched them being carried away by strong gusts of wind like grown-up birds escorted themselves apart from their nests. A long ribbon of pink petals swirled around the two boys. The taller one held his friend's hand tight. Both of them watched petals that trapped them like a barrier. Mr. Lau couldn't believe what he saw in front of him. His peripheral vision caught a soft rainbow glow behind him. He turned and saw the black figures in the painting were coloured. One of them looked slightly taller with brown hair, and another one with red hair leaned against the taller's shoulder. From the back of their heads, Mr. Lau could tell right away that the destined couple was the two boys in the floral whirlwind. 

         "When the charm senses the couple, the shadows in this painting will reveal the two persons." the artist's voice echoed in his head. 

           From the innocent look in their eyes, Mr. Lau knew that he couldn't just tell them about their fate just yet. The spiral suddenly sank, the petals lay motionless on the ground. The wind stopped, and the water calmed down once again. He wondered if the charm was not awakened yet, because the world didn't seem to have changed. 

           "Is...is it over?" the shorter boy asked. 

           "I think so." the taller one nodded. 

           "What just happened? I thought we were about to die." 

           Mr. Lau cleared his throat, "Maybe the wind has gone a little too big today." 

           "I guess you're right." the shorter one replied. 

           The two kids became his regular customers. Mr. Lau gave them the same love as he had been giving to Henry. They came to his stall every week after, and he would give them their usual order of six Takoyaki. Mr. Lau thought that he would watch them grow up. Unfortunately, one of them moved to the other side of the world with his parents. Mr. Lau felt that he had failed his mission; he wished he should have told them about the secret sooner. 

            His spirits lifted once again when he heard from Henry that the person had returned. He had told him all about the destined couple, and Henry was now in charge of looking out for them while taking his place in business. He hoped that Kyuhyun and Ryeowook would save the charm before it's too late. 

                                                               *                                                *                                              *

          I feel a nudge on my arm. I realize that I have been staring at Mr. Lau for a minute or so. Kyuhyun looks at me with concern. 

         "I know this is a lot to take in," Mr. Lau said, "but I want to get this out of my chest for so long." 

         "I....uh...I still don't understand what you say about Kyuhyun and me." I stammer, "I mean...me and him...as a couple? Why would you think that?" 

         "I know it's crazy, and I'm no matchmaker." he explains, "but what I saw back when you were kids was true. There was something older man between you two. It's like a bond that couldn't be broken or a feeling that only you two could describe." 

         "You sound like a matchmaker to me." Kyuhyun comments.

         "I'm telling the truth." Mr. Lau clarifies, "Listen, the spirits send the artist to tell me all about this mystery. Even though I wish I can see that lady again, I want to thank her for making me realize that I can do something to help people. The world needs love. The world needs you. If you two are happy with each other, then you will free the charm and save the world from destruction. I don't know what kind of bad things will happen, but I promise you that the world will be saved if you free the charm." 

         "Can't you find someone else, Mr. Lau?" I ask, "I mean, Kyuhyun and I are best friends. There's no way we will fall in love with each other. Th...that's crazy." 

         "I know," he replies, "but I was there, and I saw the petals surrounding you two. You look like you can be something more than friends. Even the cherry blossoms know that you will free the charm. They choose you and Kyuhyun, and so you have to try to help them." 

         "Maybe he's right." Kyuhyun's voice makes me turn my head to the back. He is looking at an artwork, which is the painting Mr. Lau has mentioned. The canvas still looks undamaged, and the watercolour doesn't seem to wear off. Sure enough, the couple is standing side by side on a glittery stone bridge. Cherry blossom petals hover over them like clouds. I realize that we are standing close together, except that I don't rest my head on his shoulder. The painting is like a reflection of us, except that I don't see myself falling in love with him. I admit that I do like the way he dresses and the way he smiles and the way he disciplines himself to study super hard, but I can't think that I will have feelings for him. I haven't figure out whether I'm gay or not because I haven't been in a relationship before. Am I even attracted to guys? 

         "That whirlwind. I think I remember now." Kyuhyun says, "I was holding Ryeowook's hand when we were in that whirlwind." 

         "How could we ever be trapped in a whirlwind?" I roll my eyes, "We could die in there." 

         "But I don't think we were hurt." 

         "I don't think I remember it at all."  

         Mr. Lau looks like he just got facepalmed. Kyuhyun pats me on my shoulder, "See? Told you Mr. Lau's memory is way better than yours." I glare at him. I can picture him yelping when I step onto his foot. 

         "Whether you remember it or not, the hidden charm chooses you and Kyuhyun to free it." Mr. Lau says,  "Now that the charm senses your presence, it unleashes its power bit by bit. Even though the spirits of love have sealed the charm for decades, the cherry blossoms are struggling to let the charm go. I remember the artist telling me that the charm holds on to its power until the couple expresses their deepest feelings for each other, but it's too powerful that it may transform into a curse and explode to the entire city. It's like a time bomb." 

         I wish I can believe him, but I don't understand why the charm chooses me. I'm just an ordinary university transfer student who reunites with his childhood friends and reconnects with his roots. How can such a myth help to discover who I am? Is the charm trying to prove that I'm gay? Is the charm forcing me to love my long-lost friend? 

        "Jason Lau. It's time for your chemotherapy." a nurse announces as she enters in. 

        "Oh my! It's time already?" he exclaims, "Well, it's wonderful talking to you two. I'll be happy if you revisit me." 

        "Have a good night." Kyuhyun bows. 

        "Can't we stay till he's done? I still want to know more..." Kyuhyun wraps his hand around my right wrist and gently leads me to the door. 

         "Mr. Lau will have to rest right after his treatment, Ryeowook. We'll visit him someday soon."  

          I glance at the older man who waves goodbye before the nurse shuts the door. 

                                                                *                                               *                                               *

        "Did Mr. Lau scare the hell out of you?" Kyuhyun asks. 

         "A little bit," I admit. 

         He raises his eyebrow. "In what way?" 

         I sigh and gaze at the river. "I've never seen him telling a story in such a serious way before. I remember that he used to tell me stories about his family and his crappy university life, but I've never seen a glint of excitement in his eyes when he talked about the charm and us as a couple, which I find ridiculous." 

        "How do you even find that creepy? He's telling a story that not only involves us but also is true." 

        "I don't want to believe in that story. I think it's a little too soon to know that I'll fall in love with you." 

        Kyuhyun stands inches away from me and rests his hands on the railing. "So, you're saying that you don't see me more than a friend?" 

        I snap my head at him in surprise. "You're not falling for me, are you?" 

       "I might," he smirks. 

       I can't find words to say, so I look back to the river. I try to ignore the 40 seconds of awkward silence, but I can feel him staring at me. 

       "Anyway," he says, "where the hell is Yesung? He told us to meet here at 6." 

       "Maybe he's running a little bit late." I guess. 

        I unlock my iPhone and quickly text him a message. My troubled mind calms a little when the wind approaches in just five seconds. It picks up ribbons of pink petals that add a soft ambiance to the sunset, which is snailing down between two distinctive skyscrapers. Kyuhyun follows my gaze. 

       "The sunset's really pretty today." I hear him say. 

       "It sure is." I nod. 

       "Hey! This spot reminds me of something," he exclaims. 

      "What?" 

       "I don't know if it's just me," he replies and points to the other side of the river, "but I was over there last weekend. I saw a person who looked just like you." 

        My mind immediately flashes to the scene when I spotted him staring at me at the same spot we're standing right now. Now that I remember, it was the person with soft brown hair and curious black eyes. Could it be...

       "Ryeowookie? Ryeowook-san? Ryeowook?" Kyuhyun waves his hand over my eyes. 

       "Huh?" 

      "Are you okay? You look so spaced out." 

      "Y...yeah," I answer, "I'm okay." 

      "Anyway, I'm just asking whether you were here last weekend." 

     "What if I tell you I was here?" 

     "Does that even make a difference?" he raises his eyebrow. 

     "I just...I don't know..." 

    "It's just that," he continues, "I remember that day when I stood there. The wind was powerful too." 

    "Tell you what." I suggest, "What if you go and run to the other side?" 

     He looks at me with eyes nearly popping out of their sockets. "Like now?" 

    "Yeah! Why not?" 

    "Dude," he laughs as if I am joking, "I'm not going all the way back and then make a freaking u-turn to the opposite side." 

     "I want to know if it's true or not. You're the one who brings up what you've seen before, so I thought I need to see it myself." 

    "Okay," he taps his left foot on the ground, "if you say so...but with one condition." 

      I narrow my eyes," what condition?" 

     "If I make it to way over there in two minutes, you'll buy me Takoyaki." 

     "Deal!" 

      He grins excitedly and poses in his best athletic stance. I doubt that he will win because it might take longer than two minutes to run from here. I think he'll take a shortcut by crossing the bridge, which is at the other end of the river on my right. Still, I'm curious about how will he do.

     "Okay, Kyuhyun. On the count of three." I say, "Ichi...ni...san!"

      To my surprise, he sprints like a cheetah. He doesn't go the other way, which is a relief. I check the stopwatch app on my phone. It's nearly a minute now. I squint to find him, but the lane is taken over by several people. Hmm..maybe the walking roadblocks in this park will slow him down. 

       A minute and three seconds. Still no sign of him from my peripheral vision. 

       A minute and a half. I wonder if there are more people on the other side. 

       A minute and forty-six seconds. I spot a mob of brown hair bobbing between strolling couples. The surprise is written on their faces as they hastily make way for Kyuhyun to finish the race. 

       A minute and fifty-nine seconds. He is ten feet away from the finish line. 

       Two minutes...and three seconds. Kyu slaps his hand on the fence. He winces when his feet slam on the ground. He is panting too. 

      "Are you okay?" are the first words that come out of my mouth. 

       He looks up and flashes a tired but satisfied smile. 

      "Two minutes and three seconds!" I call out. 

      "Darn! So close!" he runs his fingers through his hair. 

      "Don't worry!" I shout, "You've done your best! I'll still buy you Takoyaki later!" 

       His smile grows till his dimples are visible enough to see even from afar. "Really?" 

      "Yup!" 

      "All right!" he points his index fingers in the air as if he's thanking God who is watching him from the sky. 

       And then, that's when I start to notice. He looks at me, and I instantly look back. Our eyes are glued to each other for what seems like a minute. My body suddenly feels colder than the weather itself. A massively strong gust of wind whooshes. I quickly hugged my coat closer to my body. The wind is in such a temper that it almost lifts my body off the earth like a feather. But what stuns me the most is the cherry blossoms petals that are snatched by the breeze seems to shower all over Kyuhyun and me. It is a pretty thing to see, but I feel that this is just strange. What is exactly happening? I can still see him from afar. The flowers somehow make him look gorgeous. 

        And then...just like that...my heart beats...like a drum that has lost a steady rhythm.  

Ryeowook (リョウク)