III:Encounter of the Unexpected~三: 予想外の出会い (san: Yosoogai no deai)

Beyond the Cherry Blossom Shower~桜のシャワーの超えて(Sakura no shawaa no koete) (KyuWook fanfic!)

April 3, 2016

Something is forming in my head. I think it's some sort of coincidence. I swear I've seen that man before. His dark brown locks sway in the breeze. His eyes are a dark shade of suspicion and curiosity. What is it? What does he want from me? Is there something I should know about him? 

"Whoa whoa whoa whoa too fast too fast TOO FAST ACCCCKKKKK!" a panicky voice makes me jump. I turn and see a man on a pink bike crashes against the metal fence. He doesn't even have a helmet on. How stupid of him! I hurriedly go to help him.

"Oh my gosh! Are you okay, sir? I mean," I suddenly feel my Japanese skills have reawakened, "大丈夫ですか? (Daijoobu desu ka)" 

I wrap my right arm around his waist and drape his left arm over my shoulder before pulling him up. Luckily, he can stand. He doesn't show any signs of pain or discomfort. I expect to hear him wince, but he suddenly let out a chuckle. Has he gone nuts? He just knocked his body against the freaking fence! 

"My! Aren't you an overdramatic one?" he remarks. 

"Sir, I concern about you! Do you feel pain?" I blink. 

"Why, that's very kind of you, kid!" he smoothes his coat, "Don't worry! I'm perfectly fine!" 

I raise my eyebrow, "Oh! Really? How can you be so sure?" 

"Come one!" he shrugs, "I'm not Humpty Dumpty." 

"Well, you look physically fine, but somewhere inside of you might be torn or broken." 

"Oh yeah? What if I can do this?" he begins to wiggle his arms and legs. My eyes catch red streaks on his palms; blood leaks out. 

"Then, can you explain those?" I shake my head. 

"What?" he asks before noticing his bleeding hands, "Oh! I must have scraped my hands on the gravel. It's not that serious." 

"But still, you've got to see a doctor." I urge. 

"A doctor? Really?" This time, it is he who raises his eyebrow, "I can just go home and use my first aid kit to bandage my hand." 

Confidence layers in his answer. Still, I can't just leave him like this! Is there a clinic nearby? Gosh! I can't even remember the shops around here! I used to be so familiar with this area! 

The man looks at me, intently. To my surprise, he leans a little too close to me. Like inches away. 

What is he doing? Is there something on my face? 

He seems to study my face for not more than 10 seconds before he goes back to standing. His lips curl into a smile, "Hmm...you're a very considerate young man. I can see that you have a soft heart toward people." 

"H...huh?" 

"I may know nothing about you, but I can tell that you will find what you're looking for. You probably come here for a purpose, and I'm sure you will get the answers you need."

"What are you saying, sir?" 

"Nothing," he replies, "I'm just telling you what I see from your face."

"O...oh." 

He chuckles, "Anyways! All I can say is that I'm perfectly fine. I'll get my hands treated as soon as I get home." 

"You're not riding the bike back to your home, are you?" I glance at the bike lying flat on the walkway. 

"Well, I can't hold the handlebars with the cuts on my hands, can I?" he replies.

"Hang on!" I say, fishing in my pocket. I sigh in relief when I find a couple of band-aids. 

"Well, what do you know?" the man laughs, "You're a resourceful fellow too!" 

"I just carry some in case of an emergency." I smile back, peeling the white strips off before sticking the band-aids over the cuts. "There! That's better, huh? Your hands won't heal like this, though. You still need your first aid kit to the rescue." 

"I know, kid. That's what I'm going to do." he nods, "Thank you. ありがとうございます (Arigatou gozaimasu)!" 

"No problem. I hope you won't bump into fences again." 

"Don't worry about me." he winks, "By the way, you might wanna keep an eye on your belongings, especially the ones you just bought." 

"Belongings?" I pause. I quickly look at the distance. The Takoyaki boat I held five minutes ago lies on the pavement. A couple of golden balls have escaped from the tray; their mixture of sauce, green onions, and bonito flakes mush with dirt and dust. Great...there goes my 3000 yen. 

April 4, 2016

"Are you adjusting well there, son?" Umma's voice nearly makes my eardrums burst. Her face is way too close to the computer screen that I can spot the pimple scars on her cheeks and chin. I feel sorry for my parents, who are still unaware of how technology today works. Despite my parents' financial issues, I asked for as many shifts as I can in my waiter job to earn enough money for the latest iPhone so that my parents can learn to use it. So far, they can make calls and send texts or emails, but they are still struggling with video calls. 

"I'm doing just fine, Umma." I giggle, "And you don't have to lean against your phone." 

"Really? I thought you can't hear me if I do this," she says while sitting back on her chair. 

"Trust me, Umma. I can hear your voice loud and clear this way." 

"Oh! Okay! Good!" she sighs in relief, "Anyway, you're getting ready for school?" 

"Neh," I nod, "I'm just about to head out actually." 

"Are you excited?" 

"Well...more like nervous." 

"You'll do great. I know you will." 

"Thanks, Umma." I blow an air kiss. 

"Have fun, son!" she waves.

                                                                       *                                              *                                        *

It takes approximately half an hour to get to Kansai University by transit. I don't mind how long it takes. I like being in transit. The longer the ride, the better. I enjoy sitting by the window of a train, watching the buildings passing by. And I may sound weird, but I like to squeeze myself in a super crowded train. I've heard that one rare task train officers are to do here is to stuff as many people as they can till there is no more space. It's like throwing as many presents as you can into a Santa sack that it doesn't explode. And once I'm in the full vehicle, my whole body is cushioned by strangers protecting me from inertia. ;P Sometimes, I will end up standing in the middle without anything to hold onto, so I find it fun being in the mini human pinball whenever the train swerves here and there. Yes, I can hear them cursing in annoyance, but hey, blame gravity. XD 

When I arrive, I can't take my eyes off the campus. The brick buildings with glass windows and grey roofs make it look old-fashioned but sophisticated. A garden which what looks like a little maze of hedges brightens the architecture; a fountain at the very end of the green area stands out. What impresses me the most is how freaking clean the place looks! The whole place! Not a single piece of litter is in sight! 

"California State...you better step up your game." I murmur, "This place is spotless!" Let's just say I'm a er of a squeaky clean environment. XP 

I am about to walk to the building on my right when suddenly I catch a glimpse of a black-hair boy pulling the hand of his brown-hair friend. He keeps on laughing, but he seems to force his friend to walk forward. My mind immediately shifts to the door of the building. I walk right towards it when suddenly I feel someone bumping against my shoulder. I turn to see the two boys. The black-hair boy has a goofy smile as he bows to apologize. His friend, on the other hand, looks at me coldly. His eyes are like lightning bolts.

"Watch where you're going," he growls. 

"I'm sorry! I wasn't looking." I bow. 

"It's not his fault!" the black-hair boy slaps him playfully on his arm. He then looks at me, "I'm sorry again!"

"O...oh...well uh..." I search for words to reply, but the black-hair boy glances his watch in shock, "Hey, hey, hey! We better hurry up! First-class is in two minutes!" 

I watch, dumbfounded, as the two juniors (well they look like they've been studying here for a while) rush through the entrance. Now that I think of it. They look like a couple. 

                                                                            *                                       *                                          *

It has been three minutes already; I'm still outside the classroom. The International Studies Sensei, whom I'm not aware of his name, face or anything else, passes me a message through one of his students that I am to wait until he calls me. What is this? Secondary school? I tap my foot impatiently, but I look out the window to distract myself with the view. 

"Come on in!" a voice floats through the half-opened door. Finally! I slip my backpack onto my shoulders and walk-in. The room goes silent. 

"Hey! I know you!" the voice goes a little higher. 

I look up and see the man, who crashed against the fence back at the park, staring back at me. 

"Sir? What a surprise!" I say. 

"It sure is!" he smiles, "It's a small world, isn't it?" 

I shrug. I then turn to face 25 curious students. I feel my skin crawl when I recognize the black-hair boy and the brown-hair boy sitting at the very back. Oh...of all the nerve

"Everyone! This young man helped me with a teeny tiny accident yesterday. He was so worried about me, and I'm grateful for that." 

"What happened exactly, Sungmin Sensei?" the black-hair boy raises his hand. 

"I was biking super fast, and I ended up hitting into the fence by the river. And then, this fellow helped me up and said that I should go to see a doctor, but I told him that there's no need to because my system is perfectly fine. I don't even see any bruise on my body, well except for these." He shows his class his bandaged hands, "He's also kind enough to cover my cuts with a couple of band-aids he had with him." 

"Ah..." I chuckle, "I'm just glad I got to help." 

"Right you are." he winks, "Anyway, 皆さん (minnasan-everyone)! This is Kim Ryeowook; he just joins Kansai University. He's a transfer student from California State University. Ryeowook, would you like to say a few words about yourself?" 

"Oh! Sure!" I clear my throat, "So...uh...like he said, I'm Ryeowook from California State University in America. My parents and I have been moving to different places aside from Seoul, and I've lived here in Osaka when I was in elementary school. The reason why I sign up for the transfer program is that I want to refresh my Japanese skills and to revisit Japanese culture. It's been about eight years since I come back, and I hope this year will be enough time for me to get back in touch with what I once experienced here."

Most of them go "Oooh" and "Aaah." Their eyes glitter with excitement and interest when they hear that I'm a foreigner. The two boys at the far corner, however, show expressions that take me by surprise. The black hair guy's mouth is in a big "O," a hole big enough to throw a ping pong ball into. His tiny almond-shaped eyes are enlarged. The brown-hair guy looks at me confusedly; his lips are in a thin line. 

"Interesting, Ryeowook!" the lecturer beams.

"I look forward to having a memorable time here. よろしくおいします (yoroshiku onegaishimasu-please take care of me) !" I bow to show respect.

Sungmin Sensei and the students clap. "Welcome to Japanese literature! Hmm...let see the seat in front of Cho Kyuhyun is empty."

Cho...Cho Kyuhyun? That name. I know that name! 

I look at the back to see an empty spot behind the brown-hair guy. He looks at the empty seat for a moment before looking up at me with a melancholic glare. 

Is that him? Is that really Kyuhyun? The Kyuhyun I remember doesn't give me cold glares. 

"Go ahead, Ryeowook-san! We're just about to discuss the outline." Sungmin gestures. 

"はい (hai-yes)!" I walk to the desk while trying not to look at the boy who doesn't seem happy with my appearance. As I sit down, I can feel hair sticking out at the back of my neck. I swear he is still staring. Oh God...why? Why me? Is he still mad at me for bumping into him fifteen minutes ago? I wish I can just get out of here and hide under my bed covers for the whole day...or year...or eternity. 

Ryeowook (リョウク)