[KrisKai/ SeKai] Castaway the Heart

Empty Files (EXO)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  This now has its own fic!

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1207224

  Castaway the Heart

 

Pairing: SeKai     KrisKai

Summary: Jongin and Sehun have a toxic marraige, but it wasn't always this way. When Sehun finally manages to get into his boss' good graces and wants to take Jongin on a business cruise with him, will he accept?

Notes: This was based off a Madonna movie I loved, yet hated for its sad ending. This was also my attempt at expanding my writing and incorporating real angst in one of my stories. (I never did make it to the island castaway part of the story this was named after, but I can be persuaded with comments :)

 

 

 

The low din of the party was familiar. Jongin was used to it, he hated coming to these events, but his husband was not one to turn down a chance to flatter his bosses and weasel in a promotion.

“Ah, Sehun, it’s great to see you!” A large man greeted enthusiastically. His accented English was clipped and a little choppy; Jongin guessed he was German or something of the like. He clapped Sehun one the shoulder and Jongin fought to keep a straight face, Sehun looked like a disgruntled kitten.

“Likewise Mr. Monroe.” Sehun replied with less enthusiasm. His tone was polite and he managed to school his features into one of feigned interest.

“Please, just John is all right! We’re off duty now, no need for formalities,” He said as he sat down at a nearby table. The placard there had his name written in fancy script, though the seats around him had no such cards. ‘How quaint, he has a whole table to himself. It must be to compensate for the size of his beer gut.’ Jongin thought snidely, subtly adjusting his suit jacket.

Unfortunately, John caught onto the action and he turned to face Jongin with a slight leer in his eyes. “Oh? Who is this beauty?” He asked, taking in Jongin’s sleek black suit and the fitted pants that made his legs look miles long.

Sehun puffed up his chest and he put a possessive arm around Jongin, though it was only used to push him forward a little closer to his boss. “This is my dear husband, Oh Jongin.” He said, his eyes darting to John’s and noting the way he seemed to be undressing Jongin with his eyes. “He’s a little gem I picked up in Korea several years ago.” It was something he always said, although he seemed to forget that Jongin was the polite dancer who showed him his way to his hotel because he couldn’t speak a of his own language.

John his lips and Jongin suppressed the urge to shudder and gag. “So this one’s a real diamond in the rough, isn’t he?” The repulsive man asked and Jongin snapped.

“My name is Jongin, it would do you well to use it.” He spat, his eyes narrowing and a frown twisting his plump glossed lips. Sehun tensed at his side and he shot an accusatory look at Jongin as if to say are you crazy!? That’s my Boss you’re mouthing off to!

Pursing his lips, Jongin lowered his eyes to the floor and he drew into himself. Sehun’s hand at the base of his back now felt more than restrictive. It didn’t always used to be this way….

However, John didn’t seem offended at all. In fact, the older man burst out into loud obnoxious laughter and he braced his hand on Jongin’s elbow, pulling him down and into the seat next to him. “You’re feisty Jongin, I like that. It’s a nice change from all the ‘yes men’ who tip toe around me.” He said with a smile that seemed genuine and though there remained a lascivious spark in his eyes, it was overshadowed by amusement.

Sehun tensed and his eyebrows furrowed, ‘It’s not like I want to be a yes man!’ He thought in irritation, watching as his husband and his boss drew close.

Forgetting about Sehun, John turned his whole attention on Jongin. “So Jongin, what exactly do you think of the recent spikes in the stock market, should I hold out or sell all my stock?” He asked and Sehun frowned, taking a seat at Jongin’s side. He knew the answer to the question, it was one his boss asked him when they first met to gauge his competence.

Jongin smiled hesitantly, but when the waitress came by with glasses of champagne, he visibly relaxed and his smile softened. “I don’t know much about business and the like, but I do know a little something about dance.” He murmured, taking the glass and placing it at the edge of his lips to take an appreciative sip.

“Dance hmm? Would you mind elaborating?” John watched the action with rapt attention and Sehun scoffed at his husband’s side. He just knew that Jongin was playing up the appeal to his boss, he always did with any male or female who paid any attention to him.

Humming and putting down the delicate flute of bubbly golden liquid, Jongin smiled brightly and his eyes sparkled with intense passion. “Of course! I used to major in dance at Seoul National University. I studied everything from ballet and contemporary to urban hip hop.”

The waitress passed by again and Sehun quickly grabbed her attention. He was not willing to sit at a leisure company dinner sober if it meant he had to watch Jongin act like a sell piece.

“Really?” John asked, leaning into Jongin’s side and smoothly placing his hand on the back of his chair. “Would you like to give us a demonstration?”

Jongin shifted uncomfortably at the close proximity of the older man and he stole a look at his husband. Sehun was ignoring him, but he was chatting up the waitress with a flirty smile, a couple of empty champagne flutes placed neatly in front of him.

‘So we’re back to this stupid game, huh?’ Jongin thought furiously. Deciding to screw his inhibitions, he downed the last of his drink and he turned back to Sehun’s boss with a reckless smile. “Why not?”

“Great!” John gleefully said, his elated expression making him look a little more amiable. He waved his hand in the air and his thick silver rings set with precious gems glinted in the low light of the restaurant. A waiter saw him waving and he walked over to the large business man.

“Sir, is there a problem?” He asked politely with slightly accented English. His hair was pushed back neatly and his suit was impeccably clean, although the collar of his shirt wasn’t buttoned all the way and he wasn’t wearing the red bow tie that the rest of the waiters did. All in all, he was devilishly handsome and he towered overhead, the type that Jongin used to fall for.

John waved his hand nonchalantly. “No, no, everything’s fine Kris. I just want the stage to be cleared, Jongin here will be putting on a performance and I want only the best of accommodations for him.”

The waiter, Kris, nodded and he walked away to carry out the order without sparing Jongin a single contemptuous glance. He eyes said all that he couldn’t out loud, and Jongin bristled.

‘What the hell is his problem?’ Jongin thought with a huff, his temper flaring at the servant with an attitude. He didn’t appreciate the insinuation that he had to a rich man to get the privilege of his own stage.

Clearing his throat, John turned back to Jongin with an excited look on his face. “I look forward to your dance, I’m very sure that it’ll be nothing short of breath taking.”

Jongin spared another glance at his husband, but he’d already taken the hand of the waitress and led her away from the table. A sharp pang of hurt flashed through Jongin, but he was so used to it by now that he welcomed the feeling with warm arms, taking comfort in the pain.

“I will be sure to surpass your expectations,” Jongin said with a twisted smile on his lips, his eyes glazing over as he stole John’s glass of champagne and downed the entire flute. The man raised a brow, but he didn’t say anything. Jongin didn’t care if he saw Sehun leave him at the party, nor did he care that he was drinking excessively at the moment. ‘Why the hell did I bother getting married?’ He thought with a vague feeling of regret, but it was pushed aside with a rage that made him want to lash out, to not act like the perfect trophy husband for once. If Sehun could act like he wasn’t married, then so could he!

“Sir, the stage is ready.” Kris said in a low voice, startling Jongin and almost making him spit out his third glass of champagne, courtesy of the co-worker of the ty waitress who took off with Sehun.

“Jongin, I believe it’s time,” John murmured, turning to Jongin and watching as he downed the last glass before standing.

Kris looked at the stack of glasses at the table and Jongin could feel the judgement rolling off him in near tangible waves. ‘Who the hell is this man to look down on me!?’ Jongin thought, adjusting his jacket and pushing his hair off his forehead. He was flushed and warm and his anger and impatience made him feel ready to burst.

“Waiter, clear the table and prepare a Winston Cocktail, I’m sure my good husband can more than handle the tab.” Jongin said, ordering the most expensive drink he could think of to spite his of a husband. If he was going to run off with a , he might as well pay for it with the money he’ll get from the promotion that John will give him. Jongin certainly wasn’t going to dance like some high class e for nothing.

‘If this damn job means so much to him, I’ll give the bastard what he wants,’ Jongin thought vindictively, walking past the gaping waiter and a surprised John. When he walked to the middle of the empty dance floor, people turned to watch him pass and low whispers of who is he? echoed in Jongin’s ears.

Ignoring them all, he ascended the steps leading to the middle of the stage. The live band in the corner gave each other confused looks, but they came to attention when Jongin snapped a few fingers at them. “Play something fast paced and smooth.” He ordered.

The leader of the band nodded and he turned back to the rest of the instrument players. He whispered out the name of a song and everyone scrambled into position. The lights dimmed in the restaurant, but the stage remained brightly lit and Jongin had to narrow his eyes and squint a bit just to be able to see beyond the spotlight aimed at him.

Immediately, trumpets blared in quick succession, followed by the beat of drums, a smooth sax piping in here and there and quickening the pace of the entire song. Jazz, and it was something that made Jongin feel challenged, so the dancer quickly began to move in a complicated set of steps, his body following along and bringing him to the pace of the song.

 He danced out his anger, his expressions following his emotions as memories of Sehun flitted through his mind. There was a time when things were beautiful, comfortable, and easy. Jongin didn’t have to try so hard to stay pretty and youthful, and Sehun never used to care that he didn’t act high class

The bass notes increased in speed and Jongin tore off his jacket and shoved his hair back to move more freely, twirling with the music and moving his hips to the beat while his feet never stopped moving.

Sehun used to come home at a reasonable hour, he used to bring flowers and little gifts that made him think of Jongin while he was away. Jongin used to cook dinner and wait by the door patiently for him to come home, then he started staying out later and eventually he wouldn’t come back until the dead of night and Jongin soon quit waiting.

Sweat dripped down the side of Jongin’s temple and when he whipped his hair out of his face, exposing the long column of his throat, the waiter and the business man watched with rapt attention. He had the entire attention of the room as he danced out his anger, his hurt, and his hope. No one dared to speak and more than a few people in the audience now had more than a spark of admiration lighting up their eyes.

The music escalated into a loud crescendo and Jongin’s movements became faster and more frantic, until he remembered nothing of his husband or the room of people watching his every move. With one last flourished spin, the music reached an end and Jongin stopped moving, falling into a breathless bow, the adrenaline of the dance and the exhilaration of the music still thrumming through his blood.

A hush fell around the room and Jongin could hear the rush of his heartbeats echoing in his ears. Tentatively, he stood from his bow and he felt a flush work its way onto his cheeks, eventually staining his neck and making the honeyed skin gleam like rose gold.

Star struck dark eyes met his and Jongin watched as Kris gulped, his brown eyes darkening to a black. However, instead of feeling shame for being caught staring, Kris narrowed his eyes and his lips formed a scowl. Jongin read his expression and found annoyance, yet the darkness of his eyes held a gleam of something that hinted close to lust.

“Bravo!” John shouted as he clapped energetically, interrupting Jongin’s train of thought and forcing him to tear his eyes away from the waiter who looked down on him.

Whistles and applause soon followed from everyone in the room and Jongin was brought back into the moment. He was standing on a stage, panting and flushed from letting out his bottled up emotions, he was on display for everyone and instead of shying away self-consciously, Jongin shot the crowd a confident smirk. He made sure that Kris received the brunt of it and he felt satisfaction when the waiter’s jaw clenched and he stormed back to the kitchens.

‘Serves him right, judgmental bastard!’ Jongin thought smugly as he descended from the stage and made his way back to John’s side. The man wasn’t the best of company, but he at least paid for a celebratory round of drinks that had Jongin reeling through the night, thoughts of dark eyes and Sehun drifting away along with his pain.

 

 

 ♡ 

 

 

The next morning was brutal and Jongin awoke in his hotel suit to an empty bed. Sunlight peeked through the shut curtains and a ray managed to hit him right in the eyes, forcing him to squint in an effort to not be blinded by the light.

‘I shouldn’t even be surprised anymore,’ He thought, sighing when he rolled over to cool sheets on the other side of the bed. Sehun was either long gone, or he didn’t come back to the room the night before.

Memories of the last night whirled in his mind and gave him a headache that did nothing to help his hangover. Over all he felt the need to leave, to go somewhere new and start over—with or without Sehun. Jongin had spent nearly six years married to him, not counting the three years he dated him in Seoul. It was time for a change, he was tired of the way things were as it was, and instead of putting up with it for another minute, he wanted to end it all.

‘Maybe…I could even start to dance again…’ He thought, his eyes shut as fantasy images of a stage and softly composed classical music played in the back. He could imagine the movements, the perfection of ballet and the art found in movement. He missed it, and it was the one of the main things that Jongin regretted giving up for Sehun.

 A soft click of the locked door opening had Jongin sitting upright in surprise.

Dressed impecceably, Sehun strolled into the room with all the confidence of a man with money to spare. His handsome face was impassive and Jongin could barely read his mood through his eyes. He appeared to be calm, though satisfied and the memory of him leaving with someone else yesterday had Jongin feeling more worked up than he has in a long time.

“Where did you go last night?” Jongin asked in a low tone, his voice a waring.

Stopping in front of the vanity in the room, Sehun turned his back to Jongin and he took a few moments to adjust his hair. “I thought you didn’t notice, you seemed more than content in the company of Mr. Monroe last night.”

Bristling, Jongin fisted his hands in the sheets pooled around his waist. “Well you were wrong. Anyone would notice their husband leaving a company party with a cheap thrill.”

Sehun remained clam, but Jongin saw his hands clench and unclench at his sides. “That may be, however I was more than polite enough to e within a private setting.”

“I did nothing!” Jongin shouted back, his face turning red with anger as he spat his words. “And who are you to ing claim decency!? You left me at your party for some , as if I were no more than an acquaintance to you! No real husband would pull like that!”

Whirling around, Sehun stalked his way to the edge of the bed with short, angry steps. He stopped right at Jongin’s side and he leaned down closer to his husband in an unconsciously intimidating manner. “You’re right, no real husband would dare to even look at someone else while their spouse is sitting next to them, yet you seem to think you’re some angel. I saw you making a pass at my boss!” He shouted back, his eyes blazing and his words no more than a growl. “Is it the money that thrills you!? Or do you enjoy ing men with power in general?”

Jongin gasped at that, but he grit his teeth and before he could even think about it, his hand shot forth and he slapped Sehun right across the cheek. The force of it turned his head to the right and a red mark immediately bloomed across his pale cheek.

Shock flooded Sehun’s features and it was more emotion he’d shown the past week, aside from anger and apathy.

“I am nothing like you, so don’t you ever think for a minute that I ever went back on my vows,” Jongin seethed, though tears pricked at the corner of his eyes. He felt a whirl of hot emotions, all stemming in his chest and it burned his heart more than anything.

Sehun glared at him and he drew away from Jongin. The ex-dancer tensed and he watched with baited breath as Sehun steadfastly made his way to the hotel door. With one last look at his heaving husband, Sehun shut the door behind him and left the room.

The echo of the shutting door remained in Jongin’s ears and the sound bounced around in his head to the beat of his pounding migraine. The frustrated tears finally fell and Jongin angrily swiped at them.

‘No matter what I say, that hard headed thinks that I’m some adulterer!’ The thought made him angrier and more tears slipped out of his eyes. Jongin remained devoted and yet somewhere along the way, Sehun lost trust in him and that made needles of pain stab through Jongin’s heart. He didn’t deserve his husband’s suspicion, but there was nothing more he could do to convince him.

“I hate this thing!” Jongin growled, staring accusingly at the ring on his left finger. It was a thin gold band with a single diamond set in the center. It was tiny and delicate and it was bought in a time when Sehun could barely afford anything, back when he just finished college and wanted to promise Jongin a future he was sure would be filled with endless love.

Thinking that he had enough of marriage, Jongin grasped the ring with his fingertips and he pulled with all the strength he could muster. The gold band slipped as far along as his knuckle, but no matter how hard Jongin yanked on it, the ring refused to come off.

Sighing, Jongin finally gave up. With a small sniffle, he slumped in bed and he stared mournfully at the delicate piece of warped metal. It used to instill a sense of pride and fondness within him, and even after Sehun bought him a new wedding ring more resplendent and expensive than his first one, Jongin couldn’t quite give it up.

Now he’d like nothing more than to remove it, yet it stayed on his hand like a shackle that restricted his freedom. 

‘I’m never going to escape from this, am I?’ He asked no one in particular. Only the sound of the clock ticking away the hours of his life responded and loneliness and despair wrapped around Jongin like an old friend.

 

 

 ♡ 

 

 

The hustle and bustle of the bar within the hotel was distracting. It was exactly what Jongin needed, even though it was barely past two in the afternoon, he was ready to get a head start on the night’s drinking.

Strolling languidly into the bar, people turned to stare at him and Jongin relished in the attention. He sent flirty winks out and smirks to accompany his swaying hips, knowing full well that his clothing wasn’t decent enough for his high class husband. But Sehun wasn’t around and he had no more control of his life, Jongin was ready to live and he wasn’t going to let his estranged husband indirectly control his actions any longer. He was tired of trying to please such a cold and apathetic man anyway.

Sitting at the bar and taking a stool near the dance floor, Jongin ordered up as shot of tequila. It tasted cheap and the sharp tang of the lime and the strong flavor of salt couldn’t chase it away. Jongin relished it, it reminded him of days when he spent free weekends with old friends, hitting up bars and scamming free drinks off people looking for more than a little fun with the dancers of SNU.

“What the !” A loud voice shouted from behind Jongin. Curious, he turned around and he saw a man furiously shouting and wiping at his suit sleeve. “Watch where the hell you’re going you clumsy chink! This suit cost more than your entire ing yearly salary!”

The tall waiter who ran into the screaming man looked familiar and it wasn’t until a deep voice spoke that Jongin recognized him as Kris. Briefly, Jongin wondered if he had two jobs, that would explain the appearance in the hotel and the restaurant the night before, but Jongin couldn’t imagine why someone would deliberately choose to work more than eight hours a day. Waiting tables and serving disgruntled customers hardly seemed like a career that deserved so much devotion.

Kris bowed and the action seemed to startle the shouting American, he was most likely a tourist and was more than unused to Asian customs. “Sorry sir, I’ll be sure to compensate the cleaning fee-”

“Like hell you will!” The man shouted as he eyed Kris up and down crudely. “You look more depraved and destitute than my maid, I want to speak to a manager. You deserve to be fired for this!”

Kris tensed and Jongin wondered why the thought of getting fired bothered him more than the racial slur the man used e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter