-2-

Royal Mishaps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The resting silence among the court members and the sullen awkwardness between the Head Lady and the Prince was finally broken as the boisterous General Park has waved at them. He is looking much too bright for someone who has just come from a days-long patrol of the borders but then that is just how he is. He spotted Kyungsoo right away and made his way to her, calling her name from across the courtyard in his booming voice.

“Kyungsoo! Soo! Look here!”

Because she can get away with it, Kyungsoo rolls her eyes at the towering General, even taller than the Prince who is wordlessly sulking behind her. She sneered at the General when he jumped over the window closest to him and only stopped upon reaching the Head Lady.

“Your manners, General,” she chided him in her perfectly straight face that Chanyeol has been ignoring since the start of time. Only when they are surrounded by other people, though, because Kyungsoo will not hesitate to teach him a lesson if it were just him and the Prince present. He comfortably swung his arm over her shoulders, in a friendly gesture that not one from the Head Lady and the Prince has appreciated.

“Well, this is an urgent matter, Head Lady Do. I am to you to the Queen! She asks for you,” he replied smugly, believing that his plan is foolproof but then he has forgotten that there is Prince Jongin who is trying to kill him with his eyes. Kyungsoo is trying to subtly escape his grasp but the General has been quite distracted and is blindly leading the Head Lady towards the Queen’s quarters. All he thinks is that the faster that he gets Kyungsoo there, the earlier he will catch a glimpse of the most beautiful person in existence.

“General Park,” the Prince called, a stern expression adorning his features. “Lady Do is fully capable of leading herself to the Queen,” he informed his friend through gritted teeth and with eyes boring holes on the General’s arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders. “You and I have a meeting with the Ministry of Defense, correct?”

The General’s eyes widened in realization. That is the reason why he was called back in the palace in the first place. He is supposed to meet with the Ministers to discuss the growing turmoil in the North and plan how they could be in assistance to their closest ally. Jongin will surely not blame him if he tells him that he was sidetracked because of the angel who plays the harp so beautifully. The Prince knows about her and Chanyeol’s affections and he can sympathize with the General because he has his own beloved.

But the problem is that she is a lady from the House, someone who Chanyeol cannot have. Much like how Jongin is pining over Kyungsoo, his court’s Head Lady.

When Kyungsoo has successfully stepped aside from his hold, that has him realized the cause of the Prince’s deep scowl. He smiled sheepishly towards Jongin and kept his hands to himself. Clearing his throat, he turned to the Prince to plead.

“The Queen has…” he started but was cut off by Kyungsoo bowing politely beside him.

“No worries, General. I’ll inform the Queen that you have fulfilled her wishes. The Ministry is surely awaiting for your arrival,” she straightened up and turned towards the Prince for another bow. “The Queen summons for me, your Highness.”

The Prince still flinches at the formality and he wishes that time will go back just for a little bit to when Kyungsoo has allowed him to be close to her, no walls, no titles, no statuses. He nods in acknowledgement in fear that his voice might break. He is to show no vulnerability in front of anyone but the act is for naught, especially for the people around him who has been witnesses to his tragic story.

Kyungsoo her heels upon receiving the silent permission and the atmosphere grew tenser. General Park swallowed thickly, regarding the Prince with a questioning look. He has been used to this tension between the Prince and his bestfriend since it was announced that Jongin is betrothed to the mysterious youngest Princess of the North but this time, it is worse.

“Lead the way, Chan,” the Prince almost whispered, his head hung low. The General sighed in defeat as he started towards the direction of the Offices. He and his friends have probably been cursed with a love that will never be attainable.

 

 

Kyungsoo took the chance to take a deep breath to calm herself. For a moment, she considers regretting that she has let the Prince in as close as she has allowed but looking back at how happy Jongin looked on her lap, it was probably worth it. But then again, it seems like they are always taking three steps back with every one step forward. She has never wanted things to become the way they are. She knows how the Prince feels.

More than one could ever know.

She schools her expression as he nears the Queen’s quarters. The members of her court bow to her in acknowledgement of her position. But she also doesn’t miss the quiet whispers that they exchange that has something to do with her relationship with the Crown Prince. She has been too aware of that since the first time that she has accidentally eavesdropped on a conversation of some Court Ladies.

She is Do Kyungsoo, the most favored C

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter