-1-

Royal Mishaps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It is a good day, Jongin thinks. He smiles at the feel of the breeze on his skin and the soft grass beneath him. The sun is being generous as well as it shines just enough through the peek that the clouds has allowed it to. He smells nothing of the ink and paper that has been drowning him the past few days and savoring the floral scent wafting to his nose from the patch of flowers that he knows is nearby and from the person who allowed him to use their thighs as his pillow.

He wants this moment to last forever because this is all that he will ever want and need. A tranquil feeling brought about by someone’s mere presence. He may have riches within his grasp but Jongin will never hesitate to let them go if it means that he gets to live this dream for the rest of his life, not for the measly hour that he is allowed in reality.

And so he gets whatever he could to relish everything, since Kyungsoo is being less resistant to him compared to the other times that they’ve found a time solely for the both of them.

Jongin blindly searches for her hand. He managed a grip on her wrist but that is enough. He just wanted to let her hand rest on his head and Kyungsoo would know what to do. It had been a habit from before that Jongin wants to bring back. As he thought, the slender fingers started to tangle with his hair and scrape lightly on his scalp. It massages the tension off from his head and the gesture made it easy for him to believe that it is spurred by Kyungsoo’s feelings and not her duties.

Not long after, he heard a soft thud near him, probably from the book that Kyungsoo has been reading. This has freed one of Kyungsoo’s hand and Jongin tries to push his luck further. He opens his eyes lightly so he could catch her hand. Kyungsoo allowed him to do so as he placed their joined hands on his chest. The Prince is pleasantly surprised for this is the most contact that Kyungsoo has allowed them to have. She is probably in a good mood and this has heightened Jongin’s greed, if he’s going to be honest. If he could just entwine their fingers…

“Your Highness,” Kyungsoo chided sternly and tried to pull both of her hands away from where they’re in contact with Jongin. In panic, Jongin sits up abruptly and chases the hands that he never wants to let go of. It’s unbecoming of him to beg for anything because the Crown Prince never has to beg of anything but this is different. The Crown Prince is entitled to everything that he could ever want except for one.

“Soo,” he whined as he attempted to grab hold of Kyungsoo’s hands once more. Jongin knows that there is no room for him to show any weakness and there should be no one allowed to see him vulnerable but he bares his all to this elusive woman to whom has taken his heart without even trying. It pains him to think that their beautiful friendship is being hindered by his birthright that he doesn’t have any control over.

He wants her to see that Jongin being the Crown Prince is merely just by title. He is still the same Jongin who she has played with since they were children. He is still the same Jongin who she could scold whenever he acts mischievously. He is still the same Jongin who asks her to sing just because. He is still the same Jongin who will do everything that she says.

Times like this makes Jongin regret the day that he has confessed his true feelings for Kyungsoo. Nothing would have changed if he didn’t tell her how much he needs her, not just because she is his Head Lady servant and his bestfriend, but because she is the woman that he cannot live without.

Call him greedy but he knows that Kyungsoo isn’t heartless. She may appear stern and strict because of her duties in the Prince’s Court but she has this soft spot for the Prince. Years of being together is bound to blossom attachment in between. It may never be comparable as to what Jongin feels for her but that is more than enough for the Prince. As long as he could be with Kyungsoo in any way, he could deal.

His heart sings happily as Kyungsoo sighed in defeat, her narrow shoulders slumping and her back sagging against the tree where they are getting shade from. She pats her lap once and Jongin is more than eager to get back where he has been laying a few moments ago. He decides to not irk her anymore and settled with what she will give him. He closed his eyes at the weight of her hand on his head and hummed contentedly when she resumed running her fingers through his hair.

“You’re an insufferable brat,” she breathed but enough for the Prince to hear. Talking down on Royalty could result to severe punishment and Kyungsoo doesn’t want to take the risk. As much as she is familiar with the Crown Prince, she is still not in the position to act all friendly with him, not with their statuses putting a wall between them. But the Prince doesn’t seem to understand that as he keeps on trying to go around that wall everytime that he sees a chance.

His tenacity could surely help him to drive the Kingdom to betterment once he is crowned as King but this also makes him impossible to deal with. Kyungsoo has been subjected to it for years and she has learned how to choose her battles with the Prince wisely. Seeing him all peaceful dissolved most of Kyungsoo’s resilience and allows him this much. Her foremost duty is to keep the Prince happy, after all.

The Prince simply smiles, glad to hear that Kyungsoo isn’t being too formal with him. It may be an insult but Jongin couldn’t care less, he will let Kyungsoo call him anything she wants because he aims to be everything for her.

“But you love me.”

“I’m being paid to tolerate you, your Highness,” his bestfriend shoots back but it wasn’t with contempt. Jongin could only enjoy this playful banter whenever they are left alone, which wasn’t often lately. He misses the times when he would talk freely with Kyungsoo and she with him, without watching what they have to say to the other. Transparent feelings and honest thoughts has been replaced with guarded expressions and measured gestures.

Jongin hummed noncommittally. “Is

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter