A Day Out

It's Just The Start

Hakyeon and Taekwoon didn’t tell their children anything about their plans for the day in the morning. By then, none of the guys had gotten back to them about whether they had time to come with them or not, and they didn’t want to raise the children’s hopes in case they’d have to change plans. Besides, it would make for a lovely surprise, anyway.

Coincidentally, it was just when Taekwoon had left the house with the three older kids that Wonshik replied to Hakyeon’s message.

“I’m having a terrible block. I think going out for a bit would do me good. I’m game for the Fair if you’re going!”

Hakyeon smiled at his phone; one down. If anyone else was able to come, too, they could go to the fair without a worry.

His phone chimed again.

“Mind if I come over? Even if we aren’t going, I wouldn’t mind some company.” It was Wonshik again, and Hakyeon sent him an affirmative text back. Wonshik arrived soon after.

“You look like you didn’t sleep at all…” Hakyeon chided when he opened the door, and Wonshik shrugged lightly.

“I did sleep, just not a lot. I was trying to finish a song last night, but it just wasn’t happening.”

“When did you go to sleep?”

“Around four.”

Hakyeon gave him a disapproving look, and Wonshik protested.

“Hey, that’s early for my standards!”

Hakyeon snorted.

“Your standards . How come you are already up again after only 4 hours?” It was a valid question; once Wonshik slept -if he did at all- it was near impossible to wake him up again in under 8 hours.

Wonshik grimaced.

“Got a call from mom.”

Well, that explained that. Some ringtones not even Wonshik slept through. Hakyeon hummed in acknowledgement of that explanation and changed topics.

“Come on in. Taekwoon is only just bringing the kids to school, so we have a couple of hours. You can nap, too. I have some laundry to iron and fold and cleaning to do in the meantime.”

Wonshik didn’t want to sleep, going about helping Hakyeon with the laundry and playing with Jieun in between, but eventually fatigue won over and he fell asleep, curled up on the couch. Hakyeon chuckled quietly. Not even Wonshik was safe from the changes that came with age. Ten years ago, he would have powered through the day on two hours of sleep with no problem, and look at him now!

Gently, he draped a blanket over Wonshik’s sleeping form, letting him sleep while he finished up folding the laundry.

The chiming of Hakyeon’s phone a while later didn’t even make Wonshik stir. Nor Jieun, who’d also fallen asleep in the meantime. Hakyeon observed the two fondly as he reached for his phone; he knew of no one else except these two who could sleep that soundly.

“I’ll be done earlier than expected, so I might be able to come. When are you leaving?” Read the message from Hongbin when Hakyeon eventually checked his phone.

“When the kids get out of school. Around two.” He replied, and it didn’t take long for Hongbin to answer.

“If I can shower and change at yours, I’ll be able to make it.”

Hakyeon rolled his eyes.

“You know you are absolutely forbidden from doing that under my roof.”

Hongbin would get the sarcasm, Hakyeon had no doubt about it, and didn’t worry when he got no answer to his last text. Hongbin had probably gone back to work, anyway.

A little while later, he was done with the laundry and went to vacuum the hallway and rooms upstairs. He didn’t worry about it waking up the two sleeping on the couch; it took more than that to wake them, anyway.

He was interrupted again by his phone chiming when he was halfway done cleaning, this time with a message from Sanghyuk.

“I took the afternoon off for a dentist appointment but they cancelled on me. I’m coming over when I’m done shopping for groceries. Need anything?”

“Great! Nah, Taekwoon said he’d stop by the store on his way back, we’re good. Thanks, though!”

He was just putting away the vacuum after finishing cleaning the upstairs when Sanghyuk texted again.

“Who else is coming?”

“Wonshik and Hongbin.”

No answer. Hakyeon didn’t expect one, anyway, since Sanghyuk wasn’t exactly known as the most avid texter. He’d rather come over to talk in person than text most of the time.

He heard the door to the garage open a moment later, signaling Taekwoon’s return. What he didn’t expect was hearing him talk with someone as he came in. Upon returning downstairs, he found Jaehwan carrying in bags of groceries while Taekwoon could be heard rummaging in the kitchen or pantry.

“Hi hyung!”

Hakyeon was mildly surprised.

“Hi, Jaehwan. Did you get my text last night?”

Jaehwan huffed.

“Of course I did. Forgot to answer, though; but I thought I had! Anyway, here I am!”

“I found him in the groceries store and decided to bring him.” Taekwoon announced as he came out of the kitchen to get the rest of the groceries out of the car.

“Huh, didn’t know they sold Ken-dolls in groceries stores now. Hope you didn’t have to pay too much for him, with all those accessories…”

Jaehwan groaned, while Taekwoon laughed.

“That joke stopped being funny twenty years ago.”

“Taekwoon found it funny.” Hakyeon shrugged, grinning at Jaehwan’s unamused expression.

“Well, yeah, that’s because he’s as lame as you. That’s why you’re married; lame and lame attracts each other.”

Hakyeon hit at Jaehwan’s neck, then poked his side.

“Yeah, that explains why you’re here, too, every other day, Mr Lamest. Go ahead and drop those bags off in the kitchen before the food has time to rot out here.”

Jaehwan pulled a grimace at Hakyeon but went to drop the bags off while Hakyeon turned to go to the garage and help Taekwoon.

“I got everything, but if you could close the door, please…” Taekwoon announced as he met Hakyeon halfway, and Hakyeon complied. Once they returned to the kitchen, they found Jaehwan balancing in a tilted-back chair, eating a banana.

“You know, these chairs are really comfortable, and near impossible to tip over. Where did you get them?”

Hakyeon nudged the chair slightly, unbalancing it and making it slam back onto all fours, startling Jaehwan.

“Ikea, 18 years ago. You helped assemble them, Dory. We had them in the dorm kitchen.”

Jaehwan blinked, confused.

“We did?”

Taekwoon shook his head as he made trips back and forth between the kitchen table were all the bags were and the pantry.

“You’re hopeless…”

They were interrupted by the doorbell, and Hakyeon went to open it. It was Sanghyuk.

“How’s everyone already here?” He wondered when he saw Wonshik on the couch and heard Jaehwan in the kitchen. “Wait, only Wonshik’s car is outside; did they arrive together?!”

Hakyeon rolled his eyes.

“No. Wonshik came early this morning and Taekwoon brought Jaehwan back with him when he came from the store. No funny business, at all. You can calm down.”

Sanghyuk huffed.

“One day. One day, you’ll see that I’m right, hyung…”

Hakyeon didn’t hear him, or pretended not to hear him, leading the way back to the kitchen.

Time passed quickly, and eventually Hongbin joined them.

“You were cutting it close, weren’t you.” Hakyeon chuckled as he let him in.

Hongbin shrugged apologetically.

“Sorry. I mean, I did warn you that I’d even have to change and shower here to make it…”

Hakyeon hummed.

“I turned up the heater and put out towels already. Skip lengthy greetings and you can shower comfortably.”

Hongbin huffed lightly.

“It’s not like we haven’t seen each other in months. They’ll survive without a greeting.”

And true to that mindset, Hongbin made a beeline straight for the guest bathroom, completely foregoing the kitchen were Taekwoon, Jaehwan and Sanghyuk were still gathered.

“What was that?” Sanghyuk asked when Hakyeon returned.

“Hongbin. He went to take a shower first.”

“Now? Didn’t we want to get going in like, thirty minutes?”

“It’s not like he needs an hour, calm down.” Hakyeon sighed, plopping down in one of the chairs.

“Can you go get Jieun’s bag from upstairs? And make sure it’s stocked?”

Hakyeon shouldn’t have bothered sitting down, Taekwoon’s request forcing him up again just seconds later. He bit back a groan as he heaved himself out of his chair again, trudging upstairs to go get the bag.

As he passed the living room, he thought that instead of worrying how long Hongbin’s shower would take, it was far more urgent to start waking up Wonshik. He would get on to that once he’d brought Taekwoon Jieun’s bag, he decided.

When he came back down, after repacking said bag, he found someone else had taken that task upon himself, though.

Sanghyuk was being a right pest, but Wonshik was too used to Sanghyuk’s antics to wake up from him pinching his nose, blowing into his ear, hitting him with a pillow or any such things. Therefore, Sanghyuk felt he had to resort to more drastic measures, sitting himself on top of Wonshik.

“Sanghyuk! Get off Wonshik! You’re going to break him in half, you giant oaf! How’s he supposed to go out with us today if you’re going to crush his hip, huh?!”

Hakyeon blinked, wondering for a moment who’d taken the words out of his mouth, to find Hongbin stomping into the living room.

Sanghyuk only laughed, though, bouncing a little where he sat. A second later, he was sent flying to the floor, almost hitting his head on the coffee table.

“…” Wonshik muttered, sitting up gingerly. He froze when he spotted Hakyeon standing in the room, too. “Sorry, hyung, but-…”

Hakyeon shook his head, waving his hand dismissively. It wasn’t like there were any children around whose vocabulary could be tainted; even Jieun wasn’t in the room anymore.

“It’s ok. There aren’t any kids around to hear you. And that was well deserved.”

Sanghyuk pouted where he sat on the floor, rubbing his .

“That really hurt… And here you are all taking Wonshik’s side; no fair!”

“Well, you, my back hurts, too, now that you’ve sat on it. You should have hit your head on the table, at least, too, to make it even!” Wonshik muttered, throwing the blanket that had been covering him onto the other end of the couch.

Hakyeon sighed.

“Play nice, will you…” He didn’t expect them to, but at least when they broke something they tended to replace it. Without worrying further, he went ahead to the kitchen to finally deliver Jieun’s bag to Taekwoon. He met him in the door.

“Sorry that I made you go upstairs when I have to go there myself now; Jieun needs a change. Anyway, her bottles are on the counter. If you could finish packing them into the bag, as well…”

Hakyeon nodded, stepping around him. Hongbin followed him, greeting Jaehwan and chatting with him while Hakyeon packed the bottles into the bag. Eventually, Wonshik and Sanghyuk joined them in the kitchen, too, and Taekwoon returned with Jieun soon after.

“Alright, do we have everything? We should probably get going. It’s not long anymore until school is out.” He announced, leaning against the doorframe.

“I’m all packed up here. I suggest we go pick up the kids, and the four of you go on ahead to the Fair and we meet you there at the entrance? To make the surprise perfect for the kids” Hakyeon suggested, and no one objected, but Taekwoon stopped them when they started getting up and ready to go get dressed up to leave.

“While we’re still here; about things to buy at the fair. Please don’t give in to all the things the kids will want to buy. I know, they are very persuasive, but please; don’t. Rides are ok, playing games is ok, going into places is ok, a few snacks are ok. Buying all kinds of stuff you can find there is not ok.” He’d talked about that with Hakyeon before and they’d decided on that course of action, to avoid needing to rent a trailer to bring everything the four younger ones would buy for the kids without guidance home.

Jaehwan and Wonshik were about to protest, when Hakyeon chimed in.

“There is one exception we’ve decided on, though. If they want to buy Christmas decorations, that’s ok, too. Baubles, candle holders, figurines… As long as it goes on a tree, it’s ok. And please make sure it’s reasonable priced. No plain white plastic baubles for one thousand dollars, please.”

Jaehwan squawked indignantly, clearly catching the barb against him, but it was drowned out in laughter.

“What about garlands, though?” Wonshik asked when the laughter subsided.

“Or centerpieces for a table, and figurines for windowsills?” Hongbin threw in.

“Or those light up animals for the front porch?” Sanghyuk added, excited, and Hakyeon groaned.

“Keep it small and reasonable, please. We’re going to the fair to have some fun there, not to buy the whole thing.”

He wondered if it had been such a god idea to bring four more kids to the fair with them when they already had four children to look after.

-----

“Where are we going? This is not the way home…” Hyejin was the first to notice that something was different after they’d picked up Heejoon, too.

“It’s a surprise.” Hakyeon answered in a singsongy tone. Of course, that prompted Hyejin to try to find out what it was even harder than before, but Hakyeon didn’t give in.

“Are we going shopping again? I want to go shopping again, the mall is so pretty this time of the year! Or Ice skating? I want to try it again, last year it was so fun, but I was still way clumsier than now! I’m sure I could skate much better this year! Oooh, or are you taking us to eat out?! Can we go to that restaurant with the all you can eat buffet? They have those fried crabs that are so yummy!” Her suggestions went from reasonable to wild, even suggesting they were going to the airport to go on vacation, suggesting destinations that ranged from the Caribbean to Stockholm, Polynesia to Madagascar. Hakyeon let her guess, being purposefully vague, and it made the car ride seem shorter. Before long, Taekwoon was parking the car, and they got out.

Hyejin bounced excitedly.

“Where are we? I can smell foooooood! So much food! It smells like pine trees, too, and log fires… What are we doing, appa? Tell me tell me tell meeee!!”

Hakyeon laughed, patting her head and adjusting her had that sat haphazardly on her head.

“Just a little moment more, love, you’ll see soon. Heejoon, please stay close to me, it’s dangerous to go that close to the road. Hyejin, can you keep an eye on your brother for a moment?”

Hyejin quickly took Heejoon’s hand, saluting. Looking after the younger ones in public -or rather, being allowed to boss them around- was a task she took very seriously and Hakyeon could trust her with unreservedly. Knowing his son was safe with her, he went to help Taekwoon with Jieun’s stroller, and soon they were all ready to go.

It only took them rounding two corners, and Hyejin and Seojun knew where they were going.

“The Fair! I can’t believe it! This is not a joke?!”

Hakyeon smiled.

“Nope. We’re really going.”

Hyejin screamed, tugging on Seojun’s arm so hard it looked as if she wanted to rip it off.

“Seojunie, we’re not too small anymore! We’re going to the fair!”

Seojun laughed, jumping around with his sister, just as excited as she was.

“Calm down, you two. You’ll slip and fall at this rate!” Taekwoon laughed, but still sounded somewhat concerned. Hakyeon had long lifted Heejoon up to carry him for that same reason.

They were quickly approaching the entrance to the fair, but neither Hakyeon nor Taekwoon could see their younger friends anywhere yet. A shared look between the two confirmed that the respective other was just as clueless as they were. It was only when they came to a halt a few meters before the entrance -much to Hyejin and Seojun’s displeasure- and two someone’s yelled ‘Boo!” behind Taekwoon and Hakyeon, startling the hell out of them, that they figured out where the lot had been.

“Sanghyuk, you insufferable brat!”

“I really hate you, Lee Hongbin!”

The parents’ complains were drowned out by the excited squeals from the kids, though, and their scowls melted away soon, seeing their children so happy. Hakyeon was even tempted to thank Sanghyuk for taking Heejoon out of his arms, carrying him instead and giving Hakyeon’s back a break.

“Shall we go in? If I have to keep standing here another minute my toes are going to fall off!”

“Well, it’s totally your own fault for wearing trainers out into the snow, Jaehwan.” Hakyeon remarked, and Jaehwan glared at him.

“I didn’t plan to go out to the fair in these shoes! Your husband kidnapped me when I was unprepared!”

Taekwoon huffed.

“You walked through the snow to the groceries store in those shoes in the first place, and you could have changed them when we stopped at your place to drop off your groceries. It totally is your own fault.”

While they bickered, they also started walking, though, entering the space of the fair. As the children looked around, mesmerized by the different booths, the bickering son ceased. Hyejin and Seojun were relentless, darting from a booth selling hand-knitted mittens, scarves and hats to one with an elderly man who made clay figures right then and there. Heejoon directed Sanghyuk to carry him to a booth that sold figurines carved out of wood, and Hyejin and Seojun promptly wanted to join a carving workshop there.

Fearing for especially Seojun’s limbs and overall physical integrity the moment he was handed a sharp object, Hakyeon quickly distracted them with a booth that sold chocolate covered fruit.

“Appa, you could join the lady in that booth over there! She’s making candles!” Seojun crowed as he waited for his chocolate covered banana and strawberry mix to be done. And actually, there was a booth selling hand-made candles; Hakyeon was extremely tempted to go give it a closer look, and maybe buy one. Or five. It took quite a bit of self-restraint not to.

Once Seojun had his chocolate covered bananas and strawberries and Hyejin her grapes and mango, they walked further down the rows of booths. A booth selling tangerines only attracted Heejoon’s attention, while one selling nuts was completely ignored by everyone, as well as a few others that held little to no interest to the kids.

Then, though, around a corner, was a hut covered in glass baubles in all shapes and colors, and Hyejin was instantly fascinated. It was a glass-blower, and she stopped and watched in rapt fascination as the man behind the display table shaped a vibrant sky-blue bauble out of what looked like nothing, covering it with a dusting of silvery glitter in just the right instant to make it stick but not burn.

“Hyejin? Are you coming?” Taekwoon called as Heejoon and Seojun kept pulling in other directions, wanting to go ahead.

“Wait, I want to watch…” Hyejin barely tore her eyes off the bauble-maker as she begged, and Wonshik stepped in.

“You can go on ahead. I’ll stay here with her for a moment.”

Taekwoon gave him a grateful smile, following the rest of the group who were already a couple of steps ahead.

“Can I try the tin can game, please?” Seojun begged when he saw a booth covered in stuffed toys, all prizes for those who were able to throw over a pile of tin cans with three throwing balls. No one had the heart to tell Seojun it was probably rigged and Jaehwan bought him a round, letting him try. He managed to hit the pile once, making three of the cans fall; two remained standing.

“I want to try again!” Seojun begged, and they all knew where this was going.

“Just one more.” Jaehwan announced, and Seojun tried again, with a similar result. Seojun was competitive, but also easy to distract.

“This is a hard game that takes lots of practice. We should practice at home and then next year we come back here and you win the big prize. For now, how about we try the duck fishing game?” Jaehwan pointed to another booth, and Seojun was instantly convinced. Jaehwan gave Hakyeon and Taekwoon a searching look, and Hakyeon nodded after a moment.

“Ok. At the latest, we meet up in two hours at the food court part! Don’t be late!”

Jaehwan and Seojun promised, and were swallowed by the crowd the very next instant.

Hakyeon and Taekwoon continued on, still accompanied by Hongbin, who’d taken over pushing Jieun’s stroller, and Sanghyuk, still carrying Heejoon on his shoulders, who had the best view out of all of them from that vantage point. Having their hands free for once, Hakyeon took the chance to interlace his fingers with Taekwoon’s as they walked side by side, a few steps behind Sanghyuk and Hongbin and their kids.

Taekwoon stuffed their joined hands into his coat pocket, protecting them from the cold and pulling Hakyeon to walk closer by his side in the process. Hakyeon smiled to himself, feeling all the warmer because of the action alone, more than the actual body warmth, and Taekwoon bumped against him affectionately.

“What’s taking you two so lo-… Oh no, they are being saps…!” Sanghyuk turned around to call for them, catching their interaction.

Hakyeon pulled a face at him, making Heejoon giggle, but didn’t take his hand out of Taekwoon’s or put any more distance between them.

“What’s the hurry for?” Taekwoon asked as they caught up, and Sanghyuk nodded ahead.

“Heejoonie wants to pet the reindeer.”

“What?”

“There is a petting zoo up ahead. We overheard a family talk about the reindeer there. Now Heejoon wants to see them, too.” Sanghyuk explained, and Heejoon nodded vigorously.

“I want to pet them! And ride on one!”

Hakyeon blinked furiously, not even wanting to imagine his small son sitting on the back of an animal that big, but Sanghyuk was faster than him.

“I don’t think they allow people to ride the reindeer, Heejoonie… If they did, with so many people here all day, the poor reindeer would be exhausted very quickly. Let’s see if they are nice and let you pet them, at least, though, ok?”

All it took, as always, was a reasonable explanation to dissuade Heejoon, and Sanghyuk had given a good one. At least for the riding part. Hakyeon still wasn’t sure he liked the idea of Heejoon being close enough to one of those animals to pet them, but then again, in a petting zoo, they surely wouldn’t have animals that could pose a danger to small children… right?

Hakyeon shook himself, absolutely sure he didn’t want to be close enough to see his child with the reindeer or he would ruin the moment for Heejoon, so he chose to simply give Sanghyuk a meaningful look that roughly translated to ‘Protect my child with your life, or I will make dog food out of you’.

Sanghyuk understood the message clearly, but he wouldn’t have needed the warning.

“I’ll make sure nothing happens to Heejoon, hyung, don’t worry.”

Hakyeon muttered a “You better…!” under his breath, and Taekwoon pulled him closer, comforting him silently.

“Take pictures!” He instructed Sanghyuk, and the younger gave him a thumbs-up before turning around and walking off, towards the petting zoo.

Hongbin looked back at the couple questioningly, and Taekwoon indicated a spot a little bit ahead that wasn’t as crowded. It was a bit of a struggle to navigate the crowds with a baby stroller, but Hongbin seemed to have fun with the challenge. Neither Hakyeon nor Taekwoon minded leaving the challenge for someone who enjoyed it rather than found it tiring, following him to the small clearing.

It was actually a crossroad, where one side was limited by a thick pine forest. Of course, it wasn’t a real forest, but one put up specifically for the fair. It wasn’t just a plain forest, though, but a wish-fountain forest, which Hakyeon was giving longing looks.

“Just go on in. I’ll go and wait for you on the other side with Jieun.” Hongbin was the first to notice Hakyeon’s looks.

“Wha-… No, it’s ok, I didn’t-… I don’t-…” Hakyeon stuttered, trying to cover up his wish, but failing.

“Hyung… Both of you, actually. Why don’t you do something for yourselves, without worrying about anything else, for once. Take some time to be the disgustingly romantic saps we all know you are, anyway. Everyone is entertained elsewhere and Jieun and I will be fine, too. Go on ahead!” Hongbin sighed, trying to convince them. It seemed to work somewhat.

Hakyeon bit his lip, but he was too tempted. Taekwoon knew it, and squeezed his hand in his, giving him a questioning look.

“Should we?” He asked so quietly even Hongbin, who was standing relatively close, could barely hear it. It wasn’t so much a question as an invitation, though, and after only a short moment of pondering, Hakyeon gave in. Taekwoon knew the moment before Hakyeon even uttered his “Ok.”

Hongbin waved at them, taking a step back with Jieun.

“Have fun, don’t hurry. It’s going to take us two a while to get around it to the other side, anyway.”

Hakyeon felt a giddy feeling bloom in his chest, and Taekwoon looked pretty pleased, too, even if it took some knowing him to be able to make it out. One of the indicators was that it was him tugging Hakyeon between the trees, onto the narrow path leading into the forest.

There weren’t too many people in the forest, and the line in front of the main booth in the center of the forest was relatively short.

“Should we get something? I could go for something warm…” Taekwoon asked, indicating the board with the options they could get.

“Hm, mulled wine? I don’t feel like it right now, but go ahead. I’d rather have something chocolatey…”

Taekwoon scanned the options further.

“Yeah, I’m not thinking mulled wine, either… I still have to drive later.” He mumbled, indecisive.

“What can I get for the two of you?” The lady behind the counter asked cheerily, and it was only then they noticed the line in front of them had vanished and it was their turn already.

“Uh, we… We haven’t decided yet, uhm…” Hakyeon turned around to motion for someone behind them to go ahead of them while they still decided on what to get, but there was no one.

“None of the options on the menu appeal to you? Well, we have other things that aren’t on there. Tell me what you are looking for?”

“Something chocolatey…” Hakyeon repeated his wish, and Taekwoon nodded.

“And alcohol free.” He added.

“But warm.” Hakyeon completed. The lady smiled.

“Well, we have this year’s special Winter-Love-Potion that would fit that perfectly. I can make it without the alcohol. It’s a drink for two, though, if that’s ok?”

Hakyeon and Taekwoon nodded.

“Surprise us.”

And the lady did. They ended up with a huge mug filled with a steaming concoction that seemed to be mostly hot chocolate topped off with a huge tower of whipped cream, but there was more to it than what met the eye. There were notes of cinnamon, pepper and coffee, underlined by hazelnut and caramel along with the chocolate. An explosion of taste that only intensified as the whipped cream melted into the beverage.

They found a bench a little to the side, sitting on it while holding the beverage with the two straws between them.

“What a cheesy name… But it’s actually really good.” Taekwoon noted after a while, and Hakyeon nudged his shin with his foot.

“Don’t be a spoil-sport, it’s a cute idea. And it is really good. You think she’d give us the recipe if we asked?”

Taekwoon chuckled, shaking her head.

“Nah, I don’t think so. It would probably be bad for her business.”

“Then we’ll have to recreate it ourselves. I’m putting hazelnut syrup on the next groceries list.”

Taekwoon smiled around his straw, picturing Hakyeon trying to recreate the drink at home. It had some vague resemblance with a mage trying to find the right recipe for a potion. Maybe the name of the drink wasn’t so far off, after all. He was startled when a finger poked his cheek, having spaced out a little. Hakyeon chuckled.

“Earth to Taekwoon. You there?”

Taekwoon hummed.

“Hmm. I was imagining you dancing around a cauldron trying to recreate this recipe.”

Hakyeon laughed loudly, covering his mouth quickly to keep the laughs quiet immediately.

“Very likely. You don’t even let me near a regular pan for fear I’ll blow the house up, never mind a cauldron.”

“Rightly so, after catching you wanting to put a metal pot in the microwave…!”

Hakyeon groaned.

“That was millennia ago! We were still trainees!”

Taekwoon shrugged.

“I’d rather not risk it. But we should really try to recreate this. I could go right back and get another one of these.”

Hakyeon had to agree at least with the last part.

They didn’t get another drink, though, returning the mug when it was empty and continuing on their way through the forest until the eventually reached the wish-fountain on a small clearing.

They stepped up to it together, hands interlinked as they rested them on top of the small fence surrounding the water surface.

“Shall we make a wish?” Hakyeon asked, leaning against Taekwoon’s side.

Taekwoon shrugged, pulling Hakyeon closer and eventually in front of him, resting his head on his shoulder to still be able to look at the water’s surface.

“I wouldn’t know what to wish for… I already have everything I could ever wish for.” He brushed a small kiss against Hakyeon’s neck, on the sensitive spot under his ear. Hakyeon shuddered slightly, leaning back against Taekwoon.

“Be selfish, then. Wish for something else, on top of all that.”

Taekwoon thought for a while, before he murmured his wish quietly; so quietly, only Hakyeon could hear it, and that only because Taekwoon’s lips were right next to his ear.

“I wish for my family to always be happy and healthy…”

Hakyeon sighed quietly.

“That’s a very noble wish, but not very selfish… Do you even know how to be selfish?”

Taekwoon chuckled lightly.

“That’s a very selfish wish, trust me. The whole lot of you are tiring when you’re unhappy, and absolutely exhausting when you are sick. So basically, I wished for some peace and quiet for myself.”

Hakyeon laughed again, gaining an irritated look from a woman who was standing on the other side of the fountain. Hakyeon didn’t care, though.

“Ok, I’ll give you that point. But since you won’t make a proper selfish wish for yourself, I guess it’s up to me to make one for both of us… I wish for a second honeymoon. Just the two of us. Soon... -ish.”

Taekwoon hummed, pleased, kissing Hakyeon’s neck again.

“I like your wish…” He mumbled, brushing another kiss further down against his neck, making Hakyeon squirm and chuckle as the sensation of Taekwoon’s lips on his skin sent goosebumps all over his body.

“I didn’t ask for the honeymoon night to start right here, though…”

Taekwoon sighed theatrically.

“That’s a damn shame…”

Hakyeon huffed a laugh.

“Right. Exhibitionistic tendencies. What a time for you to reveal them to me…”

Taekwoon groaned, pinching Hakyeon’s side.

“You are the worst…”

Hakyeon laughed again, still ignoring the angry woman at the other side of the fountain, but eventually stepped out of Taekwoon’s embrace.

“You love me, though… Anyway, should we get going again? Time flies, it’s almost dark.” Taekwoon looked up, for the first time noticing the darkening sky as they stood in the dimly lit clearance. He nodded once, and Hakyeon took his hand in his own, tugging him along and out of the forest.

Hongbin was standing on the other side already. He didn’t look bored, chewing on some sort of mini-spit-roast, though, as he talked to Jieun.

“What lies and slander is your uncle Binnie spewing today, hmm, young lady?”

Jieun gurgled happily upon seeing her fathers, starting to blabber away in baby speech.

“You don’t say! He really said that? Unbelievable!” Hakyeon chuckled, tickling her slightly, making her laugh even more.

“I think she’s hungry. At least she was a moment ago; she was starting to get whiny and I don’t know how to prepare her bottle, so I’m really glad you showed up.” Hongbin filled them in, and Hakyeon cooed, freeing Jieun from the harness keeping her secure in the stroller and taking her out.

“You’re hungry, Hongbin says. Shall we go somewhere where we can feed you, hm? What do you say to that?”

“There’s a place near here where they have tents with benches and tables and fireplaces in the middle, right by the food barracks. They’re warm and comfortable. Let’s go there. Can you text the others so they know where to find us?” Taekwoon suggested, taking the now empty stroller from Hongbin. Hongbin nodded, pulling his phone out as he followed Hakyeon and Taekwoon.

The closer they got to the food stands, the more crowded it got. Taekwoon suspected it would be near impossible to find a spot to sit, especially for all of them together, but then he saw someone wave out of the corner of his eye. It was Sanghyuk, waving from inside of one of the tents. The table he was sitting at with Heejoon wasn’t empty, but there were still a couple of seats free, which they occupied quickly.

“Hey there. How were the reindeer, Heejoonie?” Taekwoon was the first to sit after parking the baby stroller.

“Big!” Heejoon answered earnestly, and Taekwoon chuckled.

“Did you pet one?”

Heejoon nodded.

“But it was scary.”

“Did it try to bite you?”

Heejoon gave him a dry stare.

“Reindeer only eat plants, appa… Of course it didn’t bite. But it was really big, and that was scary.”

“Of course. Did you still like it, though?”

“Yes! It was so soft! They had goats, too, and they said that in some countries, they believe that it is a goat that brings the presents on Christmas. Or believed that many years ago… Anyway, they were really soft, too. And I got to pet a little pig, too. It was so funny! And then they had ducks, and a little lamb, but the lamb was always hiding with its mom. It was probably scared, because some of the children there were screaming the whole time. Don’t they know you can’t scream when you’re close to animals? The little goats were not so scared, and I fed one of them hay. The lips felt so funny when it was taking the hay from my hand! Did you know they don’t have any upper teeth in the front?” Heejoon rambled on, telling Taekwoon everything he’d seen and heard and done at high speed and in no specific chronological order.

In the meantime, Hakyeon was busy trying to get Jieun’s bottles out of her care bag.

“Hyung, can I help you?” Hongbin offered, and Hakyeon passed him the bag right away.

“I need the bottle with the powder, the measuring spoon, the two empty bottles, the thermos with warm water and the bottle with cold water.”

Hongbin looked slightly overwhelmed by that many things, but began pulling them out and lining them up in front of him.

“Ok, and what now?”

Hakyeon debated for a moment if he should just do it himself, but Hongbin looked eager to learn, and so he decided to give him the instructions and let him try for himself.

“Now, put two and a half spoons of the powder in the bottle with the handles. Good. Open the thermos and check if the water is still steaming. Is it?”

Hongbin did as told and nodded to Hakyeon’s question.

“Ok. Open the second empty bottle -you can put the one with the powder away, we won’t need it anymore- and put just two finger widths of the warm water in it… Oh, that’s still very warm. Ok, now the cold water. Put as much cold water in there as warm water. Now mix it.”

Hongbin felt as if he was doing some kind of highly complicated scientific experiment instead of preparing a bottle of formula for a baby.

“Isn’t Jieun a bit old now to only live off formula?” He asked as he was shaking the bottle a little to mix the warm and cold water.

“She’d be if she’d been born on term. She already eats other baby food most days, but that formula is a special one developed specifically for premature babies her age now, so it’s still nourishing enough for her and even essential. Check the temperature of the water on the back of your hand. It should feel neutral, neither cold nor warm against your skin.”

Hongbin nodded, spilling some of the water on his hand.

“Hot.” He declared, and Hakyeon nodded.

“Put more cold water in and test again.”

Hongbin did, testing the temperature again, and added even more cold water. Then, he wasn’t sure anymore as he tested it.

“I don’t know. Feels neutral to me, but…”

Hakyeon stretched his hand across the table, indicating for Hongbin to put some of the water on it to test it.

“It’s perfect.” He declared. “Now pour that into the bottle with the powder, up to the purple mark. Quickly. Like that, yes. Now close the bottle and shake it; don’t forget the stopper, or you’re going to splash formula on everyone around here!”

Hongbin chuckled, imagining that, and closed the bottle with the stopper in, shaking it until all the clumps of powder had dissolved, which was pretty quickly. Jieun was already making grabby hands across the table.

“Now all you have to do is take the stopper out and give Jieun the bottle. She can handle it from here on. Well done!”

Hongbin beamed as he passed Jieun the bottle, jumping slightly when applause sounded next to him.

“Congratulations, father of the year Hongbin has learned how to mix a baby’s bottle!” Sanghyuk grinned next to him, and Hongbin groaned, elbowing him in the side.

“Shut up…”

Sanghyuk didn’t even think about it.

“Now you can proudly display your skills and hope to woo some girl with them, if nothing else helps. She’s got to be really desperate, though, to make her choice dependable on whether or not you can mix a baby’s formula correctly.”

Hongbin only didn’t lunge at Sanghyuk because Heejoon was sitting on his lap, playing with a wooden animal ornament on the table.

“Well, at least I have at least that skill. What about you, huh?”

Sanghyuk huffed.

“I have you know I am an expert in mixing formula, ok? I’ve mastered that ages ago!”

“And how many pounds of clotted formula did your sister have to throw away until you learned it?”

Sanghyuk spluttered.

“That was just that one time!”

“The time you put equal parts powder and water? Or the time you put only cold water in the powder? Or the time you put water first and then powder on top?”

Hakyeon and Taekwoon shared an amused look over the bickering pair. Adorable, these kids.

“There’s Hyejin and Wonshik.” Taekwoon announced suddenly, waving to catch their attention. It successfully interrupted Hongbin and Sanghyuk, too. Thankfully, some of the other people sitting on that table had left in the meantime, and there was enough room for the two of them.

Taekwoon eyed the huge bag Wonshik was carrying suspiciously, and Wonshik caught his glare quickly.

“It’s not that much, hyung, I swear. It’s just the packaging that is huge to fit the padding so the baubles don’t break!”

Taekwoon wasn’t sure if he believed him, but let it slide without making a fuss this once.

“I’m starving…!” Hyejin whined sprawling across the table. Hakyeon nudged her.

“Hyejin, get up. There’s been food on this table and there’s rests of sauces and crumbs and spilled drinks everywhere.”

Hyejin sat up reluctantly.

“I’m still starving.”

Hakyeon sighed.

“Where are Jaehwan and Seojun, we told them to meet up here…”

“Last time I saw them they were doing axe throwing over by the medieval part.”

Hakyeon paled.

“Oh snap… Please tell me you didn’t hear an ambulance arrive soon after, too. What is Jaehwan even thinking, letting Seojun that close to sharp objects?!”

“Appa, Seojun isn’t that clumsy…” Hyejin sighed, trying to defend her brother, but Hakyeon only gave her a dry look.

“It’s not even been a month since he managed to cut his arm with a pillowcase. Don’t tell me anything about how he isn’t a threat to himself and others at all possible and impossible times.”

Hyejin had to give him that point, wasn’t about to voice it, though. Instead, she scanned the barracks selling food around the place, weighing her options. She jumped slightly when all of a sudden Seojun and Jaehwan broke through the crowd at a jog. They quickly joined them, plopping into the last vacant seats at the table, panting.

“Sorry… We forgot the time…! But… We’re only five minutes late!”

Hakyeon sighed, shaking his head.

“Appa, look what I won!” Seojun announced, ignoring Jaehwan’s apology and sitting a huge stuffed bunny on the table.

“What- oh. Nice. That’s… Congratulations, Seojunie. What did you win it at?”

“Duck race!”

Hakyeon nodded in acknowledgement.

“Ok, food! Who’s hungry?” Taekwoon stood up, and Seojun and Hyejin’s attention was on him immediately.

“Alright. Come with me, let’s go find you something to eat. Hakyeon, you want something?”

Hakyeon nodded, but then shook his head.

“I don’t know what yet, I’ll go get myself something in a moment. Someone needs to stay here and keep out seats, anyway.”

Taekwoon nodded, guiding Seojun and Hyejin out of the cozy warm tent and to the food stalls. Wonshik and Hongbin followed them, while Sanghyuk stayed behind with Heejoon, since they’d already eaten while they waited for the rest of them. Jaehwan stayed, too, shifting uncomfortably in his seat, and rightly so, since Hakyeon’s sharp eyes landed on him as soon as the others were out of hearing range.

“What happened to Seojun’s jacket? And sweater?”

It had only taken him one glance to notice the ones he was wearing when the two joined them weren’t the ones he’d left the house with that morning. Jaehwan flinched.

“They’re here, in this bag…” He lifted a bag with a popular children’s clothes brand on it.

“And what are the clothes he’s wearing?”

“I bought them for him…”

“What happened, Jaehwan?”

Jaehwan sighed, sinking a little into himself.

“Ok, ok, hyung, stop glaring at me, please. He’s fine, I promise, happy and healthy and-”

“What happened, Jaehwan. Please.” Hakyeon interrupted him, and Jaehwan inhaled sharply.

“He fell into the duck race pond.”

Hakyeon groaned, rubbing his temple.

“He got so excited since his duck was leading, and then he slipped and fell forward and got his sleeves all wet. Just his sleeves, though, but… up to his shoulders, almost. That prize… is a consolation prize, for falling in. I took him to the nearest store immediately, though, to get him out of the wet clothes so he doesn’t get sick, hyung, I promise. He wasn’t in them longer than five minutes, at most.”

Hakyeon just nodded, defeated. It wasn’t Jaehwan’s fault, he kept telling himself. If Seojun was meant to have an accident with water today, he would have managed to get that done no matter who was looking after him, and no matter where he was. Even in the middle of a desert, he would have managed.

“Ok. It’s ok, Jaehwan. I guess. Thank you, for acting so quickly. And sorry, for Seojun being so… so clumsy.”

Jaehwan relaxed visibly.

“I don’t mind, hyung… Seojun is a joy to be around, I haven’t had as much fun as today since… Well, since last weekend at yours, but that was mostly thanks to Seojun, too. He reminds me of myself when I was little a lot…”

Hakyeon hummed.

“He reminds me of you all your life a lot… he’s just even clumsier than you.”

Jaehwan gaped and then chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck self-consciously.

“Well… who would have thought someone would ever manage that… right?”

Hakyeon snorted quietly.

“Truly. At least he shares your redeeming qualities, too. And there’s hope he will eventually get better. You’re proof that that is, indeed, possible. Even if with limitations.”

Taekwoon chose that moment to come back with the kids, sitting down at the table again.

“Want me to take Jieun so you can go get yourself something to eat, too, Hakyeon?”

Hakyeon nodded, handing Taekwoon a dozing Jieun.

“She’s almost asleep.” Taekwoon acknowledged it with a nod, accommodating the baby on his lap so she could fall asleep properly while Hakyeon got up, together with Jaehwan. They started into the crowd, setting out for food.

“What are you thinking about getting?” Hakyeon inquired, looking around. Jaehwan shrugged.

“Don’t know… Maybe a spit-roast of some sort… They have some with meat and fruit; I got one the other day when I went out with a few co-workers after rehearsal. It was delicious. Or maybe, I’ll try the grilled salmon they sell over there. It’s supposed to be really good. And some cheese sticks on the side. Oh wait, there’s a stall around the corner over there that has baked cheese! You should try that, you’ll love it!”

Hakyeon remained indecisive, but eventually ended up getting some cheese sticks to ease the niggling hunger while he looked for something bigger and more nourishing. He was sure that even if he didn’t end up eating all of them, his children would take care of the rest; they were right up the alley of food all of them would go for.

“Is that Wonshik and Hongbin over there?” Jaehwan eventually asked, pointing ahead. Hakyeon followed his outstretched hand, and really, Wonshik and Hongbin were standing around a high table, huddled together and apparently discussing something over their food.

“Why are they not coming back to our table in the tent…?” Jaehwan wondered, staring to go ask them that himself. Hakyeon held him back, though.

“Let them. They don’t get to spend nearly enough time alone with each other, like best friends should. I’m sure they have plenty to catch up on neither of us is supposed to hear.”

Jaehwan pouted, and Hakyeon chuckled, nudging him.

“Come on, you’ll find out all the interesting bits in time anyway. Show me to that salmon you talked about, in the meantime.”

Jaehwan was quickly distracted, leading the way to the barracks where the salmon was grilled in huge pieces over open log-fires, smelling delicious. Hakyeon didn’t regret his decision, and they returned to their table, where Hyejin and Seojun were bartering with Taekwoon whether the chocolate-glazed fruit earlier counted as an afternoon snack or early dessert, since they wanted a ‘proper’ dessert now.

Seeing Hakyeon approaching, Taekwoon gave him a questioning, slightly help-searching look.

“It’s Christmas time…” Hakyeon answered evasively, shrugging, and Taekwoon gave in.

“Alright. But you have to choose one thing each! No more!”

The two promised it, and Taekwoon handed Hakyeon the now properly sleeping baby back as he sat down. Heejoon had fallen asleep on Sanghyuk, too.

“Hyung! Can you bring me back a mulled wine, please?” Sanghyuk called after Taekwoon, and Taekwoon frowned.

“Aren’t you driving?”

Sanghyuk shook his head.

“Wonshik is.”

Taekwoon shrugged and left. He did bring back a steaming mug for Sanghyuk, and judging by Sanghyuk’s face, it was the right thing.

Seojun and Hyejin shared their desserts evenly with each other, one having gone for heavily sugared and buttered tiny pancakes, the other for some sort of chocolate drenched little pastries. It was nice, seeing them so harmonious with each other. Almost surreal, especially when sweets were involved. Not that anyone would even dream about complaining about that situation.

Eventually, Hongbin and Wonshik joined them again, too.

“Does anyone want the other half of my baked apple? I’m too full to eat the rest…” Hongbin offered as he sat down, and while Sanghyuk and Jaehwan made some silly remarks about cooties, Hakyeon gladly took the apple from Hongbin.

It was getting late, and they eventually decided to leave as more and more people started crowding the fair, but the average age of the visiting crowd shifted considerably towards the mid-twenties. The time for children at the fair was nearing its end.

It was now, though, that everything looked most magical, with all the lights glowing in the dark. It got even more magical when it started snowing again, gently, soft white specks falling slowly from the night sky.

While the two younger children were fast asleep and didn’t see the beautiful, serene spectacle, the two older ones were only just awake enough to appreciate it with soft, sleepy smiles as their parents guided them back to their car.

The drive home was quiet, and when they arrived, it was easy to get the kids into their beds. They were exhausted from the day but happy, and fell asleep quickly.

Jaehwan, Wonshik, Hongbin and Sanghyuk didn’t leave immediately, gathering in the living room while Hakyeon and Taekwoon put their children to bed.

“Today was nice…” Hongbin eventually commented, pulling his legs up in front of him on the couch and resting his chin on top of his knees. He looked almost small like that.

“Mhm, it was…” Sanghyuk agreed. No snark, no joking; he meant it.

“I even got them to take a moment for themselves. Just themselves. In the wish forest.” Hongbin nodded towards the stairs, but it was obvious to everyone who he meant.

Jaehwan joined Hongbin on the couch with a gentle smile.

“That’s good. How long did they get?”

“About an hour. Better than nothing. Looked like they made it count, too.”

“Even better. They need any moment they can get.”

Everyone silently agreed with Jaehwan. They were worried about the two oldest, even if they didn’t always show it to them.

Silence settled for a while before Hongbin nudged Jaehwan, the smile on his face already indicating the switch to a lighter topic.

“I heard you dropped Seojun in the duck racing pond?”

Jaehwan huffed.

“I didn’t drop him! He got excited and slipped and fell in himself. I was really scared, though. First that Seojun might cry and that I wouldn’t be able to find the hyungs, then that Seojun would get sick and it would be my fault, and lastly, and mostly, that Hakyeon would behead me on the spot when he found out. He was remarkably cool about it, though…”

Wonshik and Hongbin chuckled.

“Hyung knows his children. He obviously knows it doesn’t need someone dropping Seojun into water for him to manage to get wet.” Sanghyuk mused, and Jaehwan sighed.

“Technically, I know that. But, Hakyeon is also first and foremost a loving, very protective father, who had entrusted Seojun to me, and I felt like I’d failed him. So, I was scared.”

“I’d have been, too, if I were you. I’m just glad Heejoon knows better than anyone how to behave around animals, so no accidents happened at the petting zoo. Hakyeon was scared enough as it was for his child.”

“I almost miss him mothering us like that… Almost. It was nice being the mothered one instead of the possible threat to his protegee.”

“You must be a special kind of masochist, Wonshikkie… It’s ok, we love and accept you the way you are, though…” Hongbin leaned over Jaehwan and patted Wonshik’s head, who glared at him. e

“You can act emotionally constipated all you want, but there isn’t a single person here who doesn’t know for a fact you live for every single shred of Hakyeon’s affection.” Wonshik retorted and Jaehwan and Sanghyuk snickered, not looking like they’d take Hongbin’s side in this. Wonshik was right, after all.

All Hongbin could do was glare at them, especially since Hakyeon and Taekwoon were coming down the stairs again.

They settled down between the other four, wherever they found room. Hakyeon found his spot half draped over Hongbin, coincidentally. The meaningful looks shared between the other three younger ones didn’t go unnoticed by Hongbin, and while they infuriated him, he still tried to hide he had noticed them at all.

“Seojun seems to have a new favourite sweater, Jaehwan. If that helps make him want to get dressed with less fuss, I’ll even be grateful he fell into that pond.” Hakyeon was aware of the silent conversation going on around him, but decided to ignore it and interrupt it, not in the mood for bickering and wishing Hongbin wouldn’t sit as stiffly next to him.

“Well, if that incident ends up having any positive effects in the end, I might actually be able to sleep without a heavy conscience sometime this month.”

“If he ends up with a cold, which is the worst that can happen out of this, it’s most likely because of one of the hundred times he’s gone outside this month without shoes, without a jacket, even without pants a few times. Don’t worry about it.” Taekwoon waved it off, nudging him at the same time to make some room for him on the couch.

“Hyuk, did you end up taking any pictures of Heejoon in the petting zoo?” Hakyeon then asked, and Sanghyuk nodded, handing Hakyeon his phone. Hakyeon unlocked it without having to think twice about the code, going straight to the camera folder.

“Oh, that’s cute!” He cooed at the first picture, and Hongbin leaned in to see it, too. So did Jaehwan, and Hakyeon ended up leaning over Hongbin’s lap to be able to show him, and Taekwoon and Wonshik, too, the pictures.

“Aw, that little piggy!” Jaehwan cooed at the piglet in the next picture, which looked like it was smiling.

“Which one?” Taekwoon chuckled, since his son was imitating the pig’s expression with his own face in the picture. Hakyeon huffed, slapping at his thigh.

“Watch how you talk about my son, Mister!”

Taekwoon chuckled, swatting his hand away, and Hakyeon passed to the next picture.

“He’s so calm around the animals, and they seem to love him…” Hongbin remarked, leaning over Hakyeon, who was splayed across his lap at this point.

“Yeah, he has a kind of way that somehow attracts animals of all kinds… Oh, the reindeer! Aww, my baby!!” Hakyeon cooed at the pictures of Heejoon looking slightly scared to approach the reindeer, biting his lip in apprehension when he eventually did, and squealed at the happy expression on Heejoon’s face after he’d petted the animal.

“I know what I’m getting Heejoon for his Christmas present. The Northern Europe Zoo extension!” Jaehwan proclaimed, and Taekwoon groaned.

“Well, looks like we’ll have to get him the Heejoonie bedroom extension soon to fit that whole zoo…” Hakyeon laughed, not without a hint of concern.

“Have we decided who’s going to be Santa this year yet?” Jaehwan suddenly asked, and Taekwoon and Hakyeon shared a confused look.

“I thought it was Wonshik’s turn…”

“Yeah, I was counting on Wonshik, too… Especially since he couldn’t help with the shopping this year since Hyejin was there.”

Wonshik beamed, visibly pleased.

“Well, I expect hidden cameras to film every angle of this room, and the unedited video files in my email by the next morning! The kid’s reactions were the most precious thing I’d ever seen in my life when I did it last year, I don’t want to miss out on it ever again!”

“You’ll get the videos, Binnie, don’t worry.”

“Seojun knows the truth about Santa this year, though…” Jaehwan remarked, and Wonshik’s face fell a bit.

“He does?”

“He does, but then again he doesn’t understand it, so he said he’ll try to understand next year. Might mean he’ll just pretend you’re the real Santa again this year so he doesn’t confuse himself.”

“We still have Heejoon and Jieun who are none the wiser, though.” Hakyeon reassured Wonshik, not wanting to ruin the moment for him.

“How long are you going to stay sprawled all over our laps, hyung?” Hongbin interjected eventually, poking Hakyeon’s side, and Hakyeon squirmed.

“Stop that. You’ve hijacked my couch, it’s my right to claim it back, even if I have to claim it’s hijackers with it. Deal with it.”

“Well, dealing with it kind of means having to throw you off because I really need the bathroom, and if you don’t want a disaster on your couch…”

Hakyeon scrambled to his feet in record time.

“Don’t you dare, Lee Hongbin! I thought I had you at least potty-trained twenty years ago!”

“That’s why I’m being kind enough to warn you-… hey! Don’t steal my spot!”

“Didn’t you need the toilet? You have a seat there, let me have this one.” Hakyeon grinned sweetly at Hongbin, who huffed but eventually left the room, since he really needed the toilet.

“That damned toilet sure is getting a lot of traffic these days… for years it’s used only once or twice a year, and now almost every day this week…” Taekwoon muttered, gaining confused looks from around the room.

“We’ve used it to hide the presents in there at some point. Almost got them found out there, too, since Hyejin burned herself and that was the closest tap with cold water.” Hakyeon explained.

“You hid the presents in the bathroom?!”

Taekwoon huffed.

“Don’t judge us. It’s not that easy to outsmart those rascals, and suitable hiding places are rare and far between in this house. The guest bathroom was one of the better places, too, even if it got found out pretty quickly due to that incident. I honestly don’t know where to hide them anymore if they find the current place, too.”

Jaehwan shook his head in disbelief.

“Where are they now?”

“The laundry hamper in our room.”

“Eww!!” Three people responded in unison, and Hakyeon hit two of them, Sanghyuk only remaining unscathed because he was sitting too far away and Hakyeon was too lazy to get up.

“Ew nothing. We put in a clean bag and threw freshly washed clothes on top as disguise. Did you think we’d throw our dirty underwear in there with the presents?!”

“Hyung, I never ever want to have to think about your dirty underwear in any context, please!”

Hakyeon rolled his eyes at Sanghyuk’s dramatics.

“Hyukkie is still traumatized from all the laundry duty we bullied him into during our trainee days. Poor child.” Hongbin snickered as he returned to the room. “Anyway, why are you making it such a pain for yourselves? Why don’t hide the present’s at Wonshik’s, since he’ll be Santa anyway.”

Taekwoon and Hakyeon stared at Hongbin with wide eyes.

“What?!” Hongbin looked forlorn, unable to place the kind of attention he was getting from the two oldest.

“Why in the world haven’t we thought of that before?” Taekwoon muttered, and everyone groaned.

“Seriously, what would you even do without us?!”

Sometimes, Hakyeon and Taekwoon wondered about that, too.

---------

A/N: The fair in this chapter is inspired by the traditional german Christmas markets, more specifically the one in the old part of the city of Hannover. If you want to check it out, google image search "weihnachtsmarkt hannover altstadt", "weihnachtsmarkt hannover wunschbrunnenwald" and "weihnachtsmarkt hannover finnisches dorf" for the fair as a whole, the wish fountain forest and the tent/food place, respectively.