we're ed

boy i don't play

(Before you read: the lyrics are not actual lyrics from a real song, I made the song and lyrics up to bring this drama for the OC to start up)

Word Count: 4227; Characters: 23,055


 

It was cold as ever outside. Frost covered pipes and windows of parked cars. Sleet was on freeways and highways as some cars drove on the road carefully. People were hardly out on the streets walking because of this terrible cold climate. However, inside of Simone’s lavishly decorated apartment it was as warm as ever. Her air conditioner set to the comfortable and cozy temperature of 23° C alongside her running fireplace. She wore a burgundy knit sweater, black leggings, and white mid-calf socks on her feet. Her jet black freshly flat-ironed hair pulled into a low ponytail. For that day she opted for a natural makeup, using light foundation, highlight, matte, thick falsies and eyeliner arching up on the outer corner of her eyes. Her original eye-color was a striking gold, but she opted to wear her favorite chocolate brown eye contacts. Simply because whenever she met her boyfriend’s crew, some of them would get spooked by her bizarre eye color.

 

Simone chuckles as she remembered, Minsik, complaining about her wearing the contacts and then explaining to him why she wears them. They were sitting at a restaurant eating with his friends when the topic was brought up about her eyes. Minsik, who was slightly intoxicated at the time, spoke his mind to Simone about it. “You shouldn’t even be wearing those damn contacts. Your eyes – are beautiful. Just because Thing 1 and Thing 2 are punks doesn’t mean you gotta cover up the one thing that makes you, you.” And proceeded to plant a kiss on Simone’s lips, right after he had his speech.

 

The brown-skinned girl sat in front of her fireplace with a notebook in her hand as she wrote down a list of things she was going to buy for her friends for the upcoming holidays. For the Jung Twins, she was going to buy them both separately a pair of Dr. Dre Beats headphones. For Lee Gwangmin, she jokingly bought him a plastic megaphone, and a new camera since his old one gotten lost. Riding on a subway during Mondays is not always a good idea. For Minsik, she hadn’t even thought of what to give him for Christmas. She wanted to buy him and her matching grills, but she personally hated the way they felt against her teeth. Or maybe they could get tattoos, but Minsik denied that a thousand times earlier saying he’d forget to care for it. The suggestion of a piercing was thrown out of the window, Minsik didn’t want another besides from his signature nose piercing.

 

“Awgh,” Simone tossed her back against the cushioned arm chair, slumping down on the seat. “I don’t know what to do!” She whines, staring up at the ceiling and waiting for that to come up with an idea for a present. “Damn you Minsik.”

 

Just then her phone started ringing with the familiar instrumental beat of Jay Park’s Turn Off Your Phone (she was a Jaywalker behind closed doors) played throughout her living room. Simone placed the notebook on the chair and hopped off of it to grab her phone and answer the call. “Hello this is Simone, may I ask who’s calling?” She answers, checking her manicured nails.

 

“It’s Sungmin,”

 

“And Gwangmin,”

 

“And you’re listening to,”

 

They both shouted, “The Jung Brothers!”

 

Simone rolled her eyes at the twins, shaking her head despite laughing when they were chuckling on the other end. It was whenever the two brothers were together that they’d call Simone (Gwangmin’s intention to bother and Sungmin’s intention to see if she’s okay) using their “famous” greeting. Created personally by Gwangmin with the assistance of Sungmin. “Hello to you guys too, now why are you calling me?”

 

Sungmin spoke up, “We’re calling because we wanted to know if you wanted to hear Minsik-ah’s newest song,”

 

“It’s not out yet, but this is just a sample that he recorded a day ago and we wanted to let you hear it first.” Gwangmin explained.

 

Simone was hesitant to hear one of Minsik’s new songa without his permission and because it’ll spoil the surprise for her. As much as she was a fan of Jay Park, she did supported her boyfriend’s music even if that meant having to wait days for the song to be released. Still the twins were just going to send her the sample of it, a rough sample that would be drastically changed as soon as a producer got a hold of it. She could listen to the sample of his song now, then pretend to forget about it later.

 

She scratches the back of her ear, “Er, yeah, sure I’d listen to it.”

 

“Cool we’ll send you the sample to your phone.” Gwangmin says and no second later Simone’s phone alerted with a new message from Gwangmin. “Did you get it yet?” Sungmin asked.

 

Simone placed the phone on speaker as she opened up the message and saw the title, “Untitled 4” on the message along with the attachment. “Yeah I did, I’m gonna listen to it and call you guys back as soon as I’m done listening to it okay?”

 

“Okay see you later Simone,” Sungmin replied.

 

“Bye Mrs. Kwon,” Gwangmin cackled and the call ended.

 

Simone opens the song up on her phone and the music player automatically begins to play the song. As she thought it was a rough sample with just the heavy beat of bass in the background. She waited for fifteen seconds when she heard Minsik’s voice singing.

 

(English)
Girl, why don’t you listen?
Girl, why are you straight dissin’?
Oh, oh, no
I’m not listening
Oh, girl, girl, stop your pissin'

(Korean)
Yeah ne urineun uriga ajigdo godeunghakkyo cheoreom ssaum
uri-eh saranggwa uri-e cheoreom ani seong-suk haji anheun
But you still give it up to me
Yeah nan geunyang seuljjeok kardeu cheoreom wonhaeneun eonje duen ji
sang-wi-neun badak-e
bu-kkeu-reo-wo haji malgo geunyang hae
Can I call you Simone?
Simone (oh)
Just pick up the phone
naneun neowa amu-e-ge-do yeogi-e-issda
naneun neoreul wihaeseo yeogi-e-issda
Can I call you Simone?
Simone (oh)
Just pick up the phone
Pick it up

(Song Ends)

 

Simone was at a loss for words when she heard the lyrics of the song. Not only was her name in the chorus, bridge, or hook, whatever you’d call it. Their relationship was basically put out there on the spot for the world to hear. He was talking about how they fight like they’re still in high school, she should give it up to him easily, and like a card he just swipes off her clothes basically. Oh no, no, no. This wasn’t sitting right with Simone at all. If this song gets put out there and her family or friends hear about it they’re gonna think that Minsik is just using her like an object. Honestly, he’s not using her, but the lyrics depicted otherwise. This was just a sample and Simone was stressing about the future it could bring. She dialed Sungmin’s number, placing the phone on speaker as it dialed.

 

“Hey did you-“

 

“You tell Sik-K that his girlfriend is not happy one bit about this song he made. Either he gets rid of my name or I get rid of him!”

 

The call ended.

 

Sungmin looked over at his brother, who looked just as scared as he did. And Gwangmin was the fearless twin. They shared a brief moment before Gwangmin asked, “She’s mad?”

 

“She’s mad bro.”

 

Gwangmin groaned and dramatically collapsed on the bed on his back. His hands ran down his face and he replied, “Maybe we shouldn’t have sent her the sample. You do realize that we just ruined Minsik right?”

 

Sungmin huffed and raised an eyebrow, “What do you mean ‘we’?” He pointed at Gwangmin, “It was you that wanted to call her with the purpose of telling her about Minsik-ah’s song.”

 

Gwangmin growled, “Yeah but I didn’t think she would get angry, and you had just as much to play in it as I did.” He went on to imitate Sungmin’s reaction from earlier when he suggested telling Simone of the song. “Oh, we should definitely tell her hyung! She’ll like the song because it’s by her boyfriend hyung! Hyung, do you think we should call her or text her?” There was flailing arms, and exaggerated body movements from Gwangmin.

 

“Ya! I don’t act like that!” Sungmin retorted, “Go to drama school if you want to impersonate me twin brother.”

 

“Sungmin we’re twins, you, never mind that. We need to tell Minsik what we’ve done before Simone gets a hold of him.” Gwangmin suggests, taking off his baseball cap and combing his fingers through his hair. “If we don’t do it in time Sik-K will be Dead-K.”

 

Sungmin chuckles at the name, “Haha, Dead-K that’s funny.” He too removes his snapback and turns to face Gwangmin in the computer chair he sits in. “I think we should tell Minsik-ah to meet us up here instead of heading to wherever he’s heading.” He opens up his contacts and pulls up Minsik’s phone number. “I’ll call him.”

 

“Are you going to tell him what happened?” Gwangmin questions, laying on his stomach and facing his younger brother. Sungmin has this look on his face that reads, “I wanted for you to do it.” Gwangmin wordlessly responds back by tilting his head forward and furrowing his eyebrows. “You do it.” Sungmin pouts, holding the phone and pointing to it. The screen has a blurry off-guard photo of Minsik. “Please?” Gwangmin clicks his tongue last minute when Minsik answered the phone. “Fine,” he says aloud. He rolls off from the bed and grabs Sungmin’s phone to speak to Minsik. Sungmin is more than happy to hand over the phone and he even spins around in the chair for a moment, until Gwangmin abruptly kicks the seat and he topples out of it.

 

“Hey, Sungmin are you there?” Minsik’s deep and raspy voice asks on the other end.

 

Gwangmin looks over to Sungmin who shakes his head and points to the door, unfortunately Gwangmin doesn’t understand and Sungmin groans and grabs his poop emoji from the floor. “Wha- ah, hey Minsik this is Gwangmin!” He responds and from the corner of his eye Sungmin stays still.

 

“Gwangmin hyung, why do you have Sungmin hyung’s phone? Something happened to him?”

 

Sungmin stands in front of Gwangmin with the stuffed poop emoji toy in his hands. He’s waving it around, and the older brother immediately understands what the younger is saying. “Yeah Sungminnie is taking a .” Sungmin’s jaw drops when he hears Gwangmin tell Minsik that he’s taking a dump in the rudest way.

 

“You could have said-“

 

It’s too late. Minsik is already cracking up on the phone after hearing the sudden explanation for Sungmin’s disappearance. “Haha, is he okay?”

 

Gwangmin grins deviously, “No he’s not, I can hear him struggling to get one out of there.” For comedic effect, he covers the phone with his hand, “Hey Sungmin don’t blow out anything in there!” Sungmin silently whines and falls on his bed, wanting to hide underneath a rock.

 

“Damn,” Minsik says in English and reverts to Korean. “Well, what’s up then? I was on my way to Simone’s house-“

 

Gwangmin’s attention is brought back when Minsik said Simone’s name. “Ah yeah about that! Minsik pull your car over.” When he asks “why” Gwangmin says, “Just do it.”

 

Minsik parks his car to the side of the street and turns it off as he places his phone on speaker. He sighs, “Something happened… what happened?”

 

Gwangmin feels his stomach becoming queasy and he notices Sungmin holding his stomach the moment it occurs. “Sungmin,” He pauses when a poop emoji is thrown at him, “Me and Sungmin, Sungmin and I… we may have told Simone about the song you’re planning on releasing and her reaction was not too happy.”

 

“What!?”

 

Sungmin races over to the phone, grabbing it from Gwangmin, “Minsik-ah this is Sungmin! We’re sorry for what we did, but if Simone calls you or if you’re heading her way don’t! She’s going to kill you!”

 

Minsik groans, running his hand down his face. “That song was just for fun it wasn’t like I was going to use it for my album! Why did you guys even send it to her!?”

 

Gwangmin explained, “Sungmin thought she’d like it!” Sungmin hit his shoulder and Gwangmin quickly corrected himself, “We thought she’d like it!” Sungmin adds, “And it’s obvious that she doesn’t. Look, Minsik-ah, just come over to our place for right now and we can think of a plan to clear this up!”

 

Minsik sighs, “Okay fine, but you guys better not let her hear anymore samples ever again. I swear on,”

 

“Yeah, yeah, you swear to God, whoever just get over here!” Gwangmin shouts and ends the call. He looks to his younger brother and they both say, “We’re ed.”

 

About ten minutes later, Minsik enters Gwangmin’s apartment and heads for the bedroom upstairs. The twins are seated on the bed talking to each other when they see Minsik in the doorway. He’s terrifying in his all black outfit. Black v-neck shirt, black jeans, black belt with a gold buckle, black coat, black boots, gold chain hanging from his neck, and his black snapback on. Sungmin waves to Minsik, innocently adorning a smile on his face. “Minsik-ah glad you could join us. Sit down in that chair over there.” He pointed to the computer chair he occupied earlier and Minsik goes to sit in it. He takes off his jacket and his snapback, his jet black hair falling to it’s sides.

 

He gives them both a “I can’t believe you guys would do this to me” look.

 

“Hey don’t give us that look okay? Look, we’ve apologized! We’re sorry for showing Simone that song, but listen there’s one good thing that came out of it!” Gwangmin says and Minsik tilts his head questionably waiting for the eldest to continue. When he did it’s not the answer he wanted to hear, “At least she hasn’t called you yet.”

 

Minsik groans, and squeezes his eyes shut as he tries not to choke the living air from the Jung Twins lungs. His phone did ring though and it was Simone calling him. He knew the ringtone because it was her favorite song from Jay Park’s newest album, “Alone Tonight” playing and his voice saying, “Maybe, maybe you can spend your time on me” His eyes are wide when he glares at the brothers. Sungmin is hugging with the poop emoji in his arms and Gwangmin fumbles with a heart eyes emoji in his hands. Both are avoiding his gaze. The ringtone ends and shortly plays again when Simone calls.

 

“You should probably answer before she thinks you’re ignoring her.” Sungmin suggests, pursing his lips after he said that.

 

Reluctantly, Minsik answers the call and puts the phone to his ear. He clears his throat, “Hey baby, what’s going on?”

 

“Oh nothing really babe. I just wanted to call to see if you’ve eaten breakfast today since you’re always skipping it every morning.” Simone’s voice sounds calm, too calm and it’s scaring the hell out of Minsik.

 

Minsik smiles nervously, “Y-Yeah I ate breakfast this morning. I had a rolled omelette, rice, sausages, and some green honey tea.”

 

Simone giggles and replies, “Is it the green honey tea I recommended to you, babe?” Her voice turns sinister, hissing at Minsik, “Or was it a cup full of that you were drinking?”

 

Minsik tries to get away from the topic as quickly as he could, “Baby, so what did you-“

 

“Boy why are you pissin’? Like a card I just swipe? Why do we fight like we’re still in high school? Minsik do I look like a joke to you?” Simone fearlessly lashes out on Minsik through the phone and he cringes at each lyric she repeats.

 

“The song, I didn’t release it,”

 

She sneered, her tone full of distaste, “You are so full of Kwon Minsik. How could you add my name into one of your songs? I let go of the time you embarrassed me in front of Jay Park by showing him those pictures of me in my bikini. I let go of the time when Lee Gwangmin suggested you make a music video for Habibi and have me in it with you. When all of your fans would be like why is there a black girl in the music video and if you’re trying to objectify black women. I even let go of that one time you went on a drunken rant talking about me giving you private dances at your place.”

 

“Baby, I’m so sorry. Listen the song is not going to be released at all, it was just a sample that I made along with Woogie and when we were both playing around. It’s nothing serious and all in all, I just think that you’re being dramatic about all of this.”

 

Gwangmin and Sungmin looked at Minsik as if he had lost his mind. They knew better than to refer to Simone as being dramatic when she was on her rampage. The next day no one would remember the Jung Twins. “Jung Twins who?” would be the new slang circulating throughout their inner circle of friends. Simone may have been a short girl, standing at 152 cm, weighing at 60 kg, but her hands felt like bricks when they hit you. Sungmin was met with a flashback of when he and Simone were just play wrestling and the girl hit his side and a small bruise was left on his hip bone. It was just a bruise, but the damn punch hurt. Since then he refused to play fight with Simone any more, despite the girl declaring she’ll go easy on him. Gwangmin patted his brother’s shoulder, knowing exactly what he was thinking of. Twin powers. Minsik caught their scared looks and he realized he ed up on his words. He sat up in the chair and went to explain, but Simone beat him to it. Sungmin shook his head in disapproval and Gwangmin just looked off to the side, scratching his ear.

 

Simone moved the phone away from her ear, “So now I’m being dramatic? Okay YoungHotYellow, lemme find out exactly where you’re at so I can show to you just how dramatic I can be.” She ended the call and proceeded to dial phone numbers. She called Lee Gwangmin’s number and he answered after three rings.

 

“Hey Simone, look I’m busy with a project right now,”

 

“It’s not gonna take long is Sik-K with you?”

 

“No he’s not, but hey if you,”

 

Simone ended the call and proceeded to call Gyujeong, she had to call him twice and didn’t get answer so she sent a text message asking if Minsik was around. He promptly replied, “No.” and she called the Jung Twins last. She dialed Gwangmin’s phone number and waited for him to pick up the phone. Gwangmin heard his phone go off and he picked it up, he saw Simone’s name on the caller ID and he paled. Sungmin saw his expression and he grabbed the phone from his brother hand to swipe left, ending the call. Simone called once more on his phone and he swiped left again. A text message popped up asking if Minsik was with them. Sungmin replied, “No he’s not here with us.” Followed by two emojis laughing with a sweat drop. He gave his brother his phone back and Gwangmin yelped.

 

“Sungmin I don’t use emojis! I never use them when I talk to Simone!” Gwangmin exclaimed. “You just blew our cover!”

 

“Whoops,” Sungmin looked to Minsik, “Sorry Minsik-ah.”

 

Gwangmin read Simone’s next message. “Sungmin you’re hopeless. Tell Minsik I’m on my way over there and to quit avoiding me. If he leaves I’m destroying his favorite gold grills.” Gwangmin plopped on the bed, and the boys waited for Simone’s arrival.

 

Minsik left from the room heading downstairs into the den and went to watch TV. Soon enough there was a knock at the door and Minsik hesitantly answered the door. Simone stood there looking up at him through her Chanel sunglasses. Why was she wearing those when it was cloudy as ever outside? She shoved Minsik aside to enter the apartment and shut the door behind her. The door slammed and she jabbed a finger at Minsik’s chest. He coughed when she did that. “You little sneak, you’re trying to hide out at Gwangmin’s place? Be a man and own up to your own issues. Don’t let your friends suffer the consequences.”

 

Minsik replied, “Baby I’m sorry for making the song okay? I’m sorry alright? I’m not going to do it again, I just did it for fun and I promise I won’t mess up again.” His hands were raised in defense, as he backed up when Simone approached him. His back collided with the wall beside the staircase.

 

Simone shook her head, “Sik-K, it just isn’t the song I’m mad about. It’s all the times you’ve embarrassed me in front of your friends, co-workers, and other people. You’ve got to think ahead instead of acting on impulse. Especially when you’re drunk! God! You did so much things that I can’t even count it in Korean!”

 

“What did I do?” Minsik asked her, his hands falling to his sides. He was confused, since when was he the bad guy here?

 

“You don’t remember? Let me remind you. You showed Jay Park that photo of me in my bikini,” she counted on her finger.

 

Minsik commented, “He thought you were y.”

 

“Lee Gwangmin suggested to have me as the model for that stupid Habibi music video,” That was the second reason.

 

Minsik commented again, and rolled his eyes. “He figured I needed diversity in my music videos to branch out to international fans.”

 

“Let’s not forget the time you told practically everyone the private dances I’d give to you at your house!”

 

Minsik argued, “Hey I was drunk that night. Keyword: drunk.”

 

Simone argued right back at him, “And being drunk is not an excuse for what you did!” She jabs a finger into his chest again, but was stopped when he grabbed her wrist and held her hand up in the air. “Let go of my hand, you !”

 

“You’re getting worked up over nothing babe, calm down before you hurt yourself okay?” Minsik tells her and he backs her to the sofa. She gets pushed on the couch and her boyfriend sits beside her holding her hands from hitting him anymore. “Stop fighting with me, why are you being like this? Are you crazy?”

 

Simone kicked her legs out to Minsik and it was then when he decided to lay on top of her. She wiggled from underneath him and kneed him in his stomach. “Get away from me Sik-K! Get away from me!” She screams and Minsik just sighs as he stays holding his girlfriend down. His head lays on her chest; Simone finally calms down when several minutes have passed. She gently places her hand on Minsik’s head, grabbing his attention.

 

Her boyfriend looks up at her and the way he looks reminded her of her French Bulldog, Nico, back at home. She soon realizes that she couldn’t stay mad at Minsik forever when he unknowingly has that pout-ish look on his face. A blithe smile forms on her lips and she kisses Minsik’s temple. “I can’t stay mad at you forever. You know how much you remind me of Nico, back in Richmond.” She mumbles and she kisses his temple again. Minsik smiles when she’s notably calm and laid his head back at her chest, enjoying the comfortable silence they were sharing instead of arguing. They remain like that for a few more minutes until the twins come downstairs and the couple stands up from the sofa.

 

Gwangmin jokes, “You guys weren’t making out on my couch were you?”

 

Simone scowls, and Minsik hugs her from behind, she relaxes in his hold. “No we weren’t. Besides me and Sik-K would rather make out on Sungmin’s couch. It’s suede and there’s a plush white rug right beside it.” She grins playfully at Sungmin’s grimace.

 

“I’m getting rid of that sofa then,” Sungmin declared as he returned upstairs to gather his things. “And I’m getting rid of that rug too!” he called out.

 

Gwangmin chuckles and he turns his attention to the couple. Minsik is nuzzling his face into Simone’s neck and the brown-skinned girl is giggling with each butterfly kiss he gives her. “Are you guys going to be okay?” Gwangmin asks.

 

Minsik stops and he answers, “Yeah we’re going to be fine Gwangmin hyung.” He pulls away from Simone’s body to go to the staircase, “I’m going to get my stuff babe, we can meet up at your place.”

 

“Habibi?” She asks him, it’s their secret code for .

 

“Habibi.” He responds. It looks like she was gonna have to dress in something y for this evening for him.

 

Gwangmin grimaces, he knew exactly what they meant and he shook his head. He looks at Simone before guffawing, “Do you swallow kids Simone?” Simone gasps and chases after the twin shouting, “Gwangmin you ert!”