Prologue

Immortality

Gifted

Means a person having great special talent/ability or having exceptionally high intelligence.

Cursed

Means a person being put under a ban or an anathema.

Sehun doesn’t know which one is the best to describe what he has, but he assumes the latter.

The first experience was always the most interesting, fascinating yet scariest one. It happened when he was eight. Sehun could sometimes feel there was something unexplainable about him but he just kind of ignored it, because after all he was just a kid, until that day when his parents took him to one of their relatives’ funeral.

“Why are there numbers above grandpa’s head?”

He tugged at his mother’s hand and whispered, earning a shushing gesture from her since it was the time for his grandpa to make a mournful speech.

He kept staring at those dancing numbers till it formed into something meaningful, a date. For a bright child like Sehun, it’s kinda like seeing a magical show on his own and all he thought at that time was “Wow, it’s so cool~~~”.

One week later, it changed everything and turned his life upside down. His grandpa died because of a sudden heart attack and a hunch told him it’s not a coincidence that it was the same date he had seen above the old man’s head before. He felt scared and told his parents about what had happened. He didn’t know if it’s because the recent loss of his family was so much burdened or the fact that their son could predict exactly people’s death was quite a shock to them, but there was one thing he was so sure that his parents would definitely never look at him in the same way as before.

His ability kept growing against his will day by day. At first he could only see when that person was going to die in a very soon future, like a day or a week, next a month, a year and then to the extent that he got tired of counting their ages.

After fourteen years dealing with it, Sehun doesn’t need to avoid stealing a glance up above somebody’s head anymore because he now finally controls it with his mind and only sees what he wants to see. He always keeps a small notebook inside his second drawer at home to write down what dates he has spotted so far. And as much as he’s experienced, the only human being that he can’t get through until now is just himself.

 

Or a ghost, if it’s also counted.