1/1

How have you been?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
.: How have you been?

 

He would never forget the way she looked that day.

 

How many months had it been since they last saw each other? Eight? Nine? Or has it been more than a year?

 

He couldn’t remember what led him down the familiar road across her place. It felt like years since their group had a long enough break so with his earphones on and his hoodie partially covering his appearance, he decided to take a stroll around the Han River.

 

But how did he end up walking down the block near her place? He thought time would have erased the habit but his feet must have remembered the many times he went through the same road, walking with her after school to make sure she gets home safe.

 

‘Your company really should take better care of your safety. Why is your manager not picking you up from school?’ he’d usually grumble as they walk down the pavement.

 

She’d turn back at him with a bright smile that he’d have to hide his own behind the fish sticks that she had conned him into buying for the both of them when they passed by the halmeoni’s street food stall.

 

‘Who needs manager oppa? I have tall and strong Seungyoun-ah to protect me from weird people.’

 

He’d shake his head, already used to the lack of ‘oppa’ at the end of his name to be bothered.

 

 

A fond smile appeared on his lips as he spotted the convenience store around the corner, still lit up in the middle of the dark evening.

 

That little store held a lot of happy moments, from when he’d listen to her panicked rants after an exam day at school,

 

 

“I totally flunked it, Seungyoun-ah. But Yugyeom probably did worse so it’s fine, right?”

 

 

to when she’d scam him poor to buy her ice cream to make her smile when she’s near that time of the month and she’s moody,

 

 

“That’s your fourth ice cream, Jimin. Fourth paid-by-my-allowance chocolate ice cream.”

 

 

to when they’d stay up late in there in the middle of a cold night, eating several cups of ramyeon as they wait for the first snow of winter to drop down the streets of Seoul,

 

 

“Why is the damned snow not yet dropping? Does it move slow like you?? We’re running out of ramyeon, Seungyoun-ah. Give me your wallet. Let’s buy another.”

 

.

 

.

 

But that same store held the most painful memory for them too.

 

.

 

.

 

 

He couldn’t look up, too afraid to see the tears b on the corners of her eyes if he does.

 

 

‘I’m sorry.’

 

Silence.

 

The only sound made between the two of them is her mindlessly stirring at the cup of coffee she will never drink. He knew. She’s not really fond of coffee.

 

 

‘Where do you think we went wrong, Seungyoun-ah?’

 

 

He looked up and he wished he never did.

 

It felt foreign to see her sitting across him rather than beside him. He took a quick glance at her, his mind unconsciously trying to take in every detail of her face. 

 

She also looked up; their gaze met each other and it took just that one glance at her eyes for him to see the storm of emotions bristling within her.

 

Her orbs that used to twinkle with happiness and warmth when she stares at him is now cutting through him with detachment… and pain.

 

Seungyoun opened his mouth but closed it not long after. He tried to speak but no words came out of his lips.

 

 

“So this is really it?”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s fine. I-I knew we’re over the moment I entered."

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“Stop saying sorry. W-we promised to be cool about it when the time comes, didn’t we?”

 

 

He felt so helpless as she tilted her head to stop the tears from falling.

 

 

“I didn’t want to hurt you.”

 

“…I know…”

 

 

She smiled through her tears and her visage at that moment is something that had been etched

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter