Car Drive

Can't Get Drunk!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Hi Guys! May this year open new opportunities for everyone. May you be a step closer to your dreams. Happy New Year! :D

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Chapter 7

Car Drive

 

ChangWook gripped his hands. His chest is aching and he is so confused.

“The truth is…”

Yoona took a deep breath.

“I… only drank 3 glasses of soju tonight.” Said Yoona.

ChangWook’s eyes widened.

What does that mean? Does that mean…

Yoona nodded as if reading ChangWook’s mind.

“I am not drunk.” Said Yoona. “I’m… completely the sober Yoona… who has been trying to act drunk since the time you picked me up.”

How come?

“But you… will never have courage to face me if you’re sober.” Said ChangWook.

“That’s true…” Yoona sighed. “I’ve been staring at your number for an hour before deciding to call you. And when I did… I thought my heart would burst.”

There was a long moment of silence.

“It was… the most nerve wracking moment of my life.” Yoona laughed.

There was another moment of silence. Changwook just sat there staring at Yoona.

“But I…” Yoona finally spoke. “I wanted to talk to you…. outside the office… I wanted to tell you what happened to me in the reunion. I wanted to tell you so badly… But what reason will I give so that you’ll meet me? Will you talk to me if I weren’t drunk?”

“I will.” Thought ChangWook. “I was waiting for you to call me all night! Because I didn’t know what was happening to you in that reunion. I was irritated that you joined it even when it’s obviously a trap. I wanted to know how you are. I was… worried.”

But ChangWook could not get the words out. How can he say these things to Yoona when Yoona just said she accepts them as Boss-Employee… and that’s it.

“The two of us are Boss and Employee. Who happened to have the chance to be a bit closer than usual during these three nights. And I will not ask for more than this.”

If he tells her that he was worried… will it raise her hopes up? He is sure he likes Yoona… He’s attracted to her… and not just her pretty face but something deeper something that makes his heart move. But if he isn’t in love with her… If this is not love… he would break her. And something inside ChangWook is certain that he doesn’t want Yoona hurt… he doesn’t want her to be in pain… Until he is certain… he wants to protect Yoona…from himself.

“I wanted so much to talk to you tonight because…” Yoona took a deep breath. “I want to thank you for everything you’ve done for me… the words you’ve said. You have helped me overcome even the most fearful moment of facing my past. Your words have given me courage. Tonight… was great. It’s like one of the best nights of my life. And it’s all because of the courage you helped me with. I will be forever grateful.”

Yoona smiled. ChangWook wanted to reach and pinch Yoona’s cheek. But he stopped himself.

“And also… I wanted to talk to you because… I want to tell you that I won’t bug you anymore.” Said Yoona.  “You know the rumor in the office. I honestly think it’s about you and me. The details about an executive bringing an agent home twice… that’s exactly what happened to us. And even if we did nothing bad in your house no one will believe it. So… we can’t be seen together anymore. That’s why…”

Yoona’s heart is in pain. She didn’t want to say it but she must.

“That is why this should be the last time we’ll meet outside the office.” Said Yoona.

ChangWook closed his eyes with the sudden pain Yoona’s words caused him.

“Mr. Ji… Thank you for everything.” Yoona took a deep breath. “I guess… this is it.”

Yoona unbuckled her seatbelt but ChangWook suddenly stopped her hand and put the seatbelt back.

Yoona was startled.

“Mr. Ji…”

“Just… Just stay here for a while…. Stay here, Yoona.” Said ChangWook.

Yoona could not utter a word.

And then ChangWook started his car again and drove fast.

“B…but… Mr. Ji…”

ChangWook did not pay attention.

“If… if anyone sees us together it would be dangerous.” said Yoona. “I know this is my fault. I’m the one who called you up…”

“Where do you want to go, Yoona?” asked ChangWook

Huh? Was he listening to her?

“I’m sure there’s a place you wanted to go now if you had a car. Think of a place you want to go. I’ll drive you there.” Said ChangWook.

What… is he doing? Why is he even asking this question? What if someone sees them together? She already said her thanks and promised to not bug him anymore… There is no more reason to stay together…

Yoona had been silent for a while now. ChangWook took a glimpse of her and saw confusion in her eyes. She was intending to leave his car earlier. And for good reasons. She’s trying to protect them from the rumor. But when she was unbuckling her seatbelt he just couldn’t let her go.

Yoona kept her silence.

“Is it hard to think of a place? Well… I did ask out of the blue.” Said ChangWook.

A place she wants to go if she had a car… that means somewhere you don’t normally go to by public transport… somewhere a bit far…

Yoona shook her head. No… It’s not right to think too much into this. Mr. Ji… possibly has something bothering him. Maybe he had a rough day? Maybe he just needs to unwind and needs someone to accompany him.

Right… She can’t be selfish.  She had bothered him so much. If he needs her help now, she has to help him. And it’s not as if she hates being with him… She loves being with him…love it so much… if she can stretch their time together, it would be a fairytale all over again.

Hopefully no one sees them…

Yoona took a deep breath.

“The place…” said Yoona.

ChangWook gulped. He felt relieved. Yoona finally spoke.

“It’s a place I want to go to now.” Said Yoona. “It’s not that far so I can actually go there by Bus.”

“No, I’ll take you there.” Said Changwook. “I’m very curious.”

He would have preferred somewhere farther but… for now… anywhere will do… anywhere to stretch their time together.

ChangWook smiled.

“Which place is it?” asked ChangWook.

---------------

ChangWook and Yoona stopped in front of a nice house, not too big but not too small…the design is beautiful from the outside. It seems to have a garden.

“Whose house is this?” asked ChangWook.

When Yoona did not answer, ChangWook turned to look at Yoona. Yoona is staring at the house with tears in her eyes as if she has longing in them…

Changwook gave Yoona a moment. This seems to be important to her. And then ChangWook noticed Yoona’s hand shaking. ChangWook immediately held Yoona’s hand.

“Are you ok?” asked ChangWook.

Yoona realized the situation. She immediately wiped her tears.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to cry or anything…this is embarrassing.” Yoona sighed.

Yoona took a few moments to calm herself.

“This house… was my family’s.” said Yoona. “My Dad built it. It was my parent’s dream house. Everything was based on the design my parents talked about. But it was sold by Dad a few months before he died…. To pay for the loans. I guess it broke his heart that the most treasured possession he has… was taken from him.”

Yoona bit her lip.

“This house had memories of my Mom…and my brother…” said Yoona. “My Dad, Mom, My brother and I spent beautiful years in this house.”

“Your Mom and brother?” asked ChangWook.

“They’re both gone now.” Said Yoona.

ChangWook’s eyes widened.

Yoona…

Is all alone now… Everyone in her family is gone…

Yoona smiled.

“You looked like you’re going to pity me.” Said Yoona.

ChangWook looked away.

Yoona looked at the house.

“My Mom died of an illness. Dad had to take care of her and missed out on some promotions at work. He took loans for Mom’s medications. And then Mom died. Dad had a hard time recovering from losing his love. And then a year later… my brother died in a car accident. The loss of his son was a big blow to him... loans were getting due… everything was falling apart… and then his Bosses started to criticize his work… Eventually, he got laid off. We had to pay the loans… Dad wanted to make sure I will not suffer from the loans… So he had to give the house up… But that was the final blow…” Said Yoona.

And ChangWook already knows what happened next.

ChangWook could not say anything. All these years he had been living in the ghost of a dark past because he lost his friend. But Yoona she… she had gone through so much worse than him. She… suffered the loss of her Mother… of her brother… and her Father. She had lost everyone in the family. And she’s been alone since then… with just one friend from high school and a few friends in the office…

How… did she survive?

ChangWook raised his hand to touch Yoona’s. He wants to give her a little comfort. But Yoona’s voice stopped him.

“I… want to buy this house.” Said Yoona.

“Buy?” asked ChangWook.

“I’m saving for it. It may take me a decade or so though but it doesn’t matter. I will work hard…harder and harder. I will save enough money to buy this house in the future.” Said Yoona.

“You…” said ChangWook. “…work overtime every day for the past three years… so that you can save to buy this house?”

Yoona’s eye widened.

“How did you know I work that much overtime?” asked Yoona.

ChangWook cleared his throat.

“I know a lot of things about the team I handle of course.” Said ChangWook. “I even know Mr. Park’s wife loves perfume.”

“Oh…” Yoona just nodded. “Wow… You really are a very brilliant Boss.”

ChangWook bit his lip. Yup… he found an excuse… for now.

“Yes. I’ve been saving for this house.” Said Yoona. “That’s why I work overtime as much as I can.”

“But if your body starts to deteriorate, if your health suddenly have problems… you know what will happen right?” asked ChangWook.

Yoona’s eyes narrowed.

“You will stop being productive at work… eventually you will lose your job if it gets worse. The fact is… there should be a balance.” Said ChangWook. “Yes you can do overtime and save for this house. It’s good to have a goal. But… overtime every day is way too much.”

Yoona pouted.

“As a Manager… I think I can give a sound advice about this.” Said ChangWook. “Lessen your overtime. Go get some time for yourself. Sleep early sometime or read a good book. ”

Yoona sighed.

“Your Dad… I’m sure he wants you to live a good life that’s why he sacrificed this house… so that you won’t be bothered by the loans… so that you can live your life worry free. If you live each day as a working machine... do you think your Dad would be happy to see that? Was that what he sacrificed this house for?” said ChangWook.

Yoona felt struck by ChangWook’s words.

He is right… her Dad… made sure she can live stress-free that’s why he paid the loans with their house… He sacrificed that much so that she can enjoy her life.

“You really are a good Boss.” Said Yoona. “I will… take your advice, Sir. I will only take three overtimes a week from now on. But… that would mean I can’t get the house in ten years. ”

ChangWook’s words backfired at him. No

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter