Her Sacrifice

Can't Get Drunk!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 10

 

Yoona reached her house. She felt drained.

“Yoona!”

Yoona raised her head and saw KeunSuk by the gate.

“Sunbae…”

KeunSuk smiled.

“I’ve been waiting for you.”

Yoona sighed.

She has to tell Keunsuk that she has decided to be in a relationship with Changwook…. But then that relationship will need to end soon.

KeunSuk invited Yoona for coffee. Yoona felt like her chest will explode. She told KeunSuk everything Jiwon told her.

“That’s… a really complicated situation.” Said KeunSuk.

KeunSuk sighed.

“I told you being together with that guy will cause you complicated problems, right?” said Keunsuk. “It seems Jiwon did not waste time to make you realize that.”

Yoona bit her lips hard to stop herself from crying.

“Jiwon has a point, you know.” Said KeunSuk. “That guy has a lot on his shoulders. Having you around him… will surely restrict him to give the company his all. He would want to spend time with you…take care of you…In this situation…With Jiwon gone for the surgery, Changwook would need not only a hundred percent of his everything… he would need to give his life there.”

Yoona did not speak for a while.

“I had hopes… that you would choose me…” said Keunsuk. “But I…couldn’t reach your heart.”

Keunsuk touched Yoona’s hand.

 “I already warned you Yoona. I already told you your life will be miserable if you choose to continue your feelings for him.” Said KeunSuk. “What happened today with Jiwon… is only the start.”

“I think that… I don’t want to cause Oppa’s downfall and misery.” Said Yoona. “But I have no confidence that I can bear being without him…”

“You have survived three years just watching him from afar.” Said KeunSuk.

“From now on… I can’t even watch him anymore…” said Yoona.

“Use me, Yoona.” Said KeunSuk. “Jiwon suggested that you use a friend to help you breakup with him… use me.”

“No.” Yoona shook her head. “I won’t do that.”

KeunSuk reached for Yoona’s hand.

“Yoona… I know I’m suggesting you to lie… but can’t you see? You and Changwook… you can’t be together. And you can’t live your whole life heartbroken. He is surely going to move on from you and forget about you. You too… have to continue your life. And I will help you with that.” Said KeunSuk.

Yoona gave her defenses as her tears flowed out unceasingly.

------------

Changwook drove going to Yoona’s house. He wanted to go there to surprise Yoona. He didn’t plan anything but… he wants to spend the entire afternoon with her.

Changwook stopped when the stoplight changed color. He is around Yoona’s neighborhood. And then he noticed Yoona sitting inside a café. He smiled. Yoona looked pretty. But then… is she crying?

Changwook saw the man sitting across Yoona.

KeunSuk.

That brat! What are they doing together?!

KeunSuk touched Yoona’s hand.

“What the-“

Changwook wanted to go out of his car but the stoplight changed color. And the cars behind him started blowing their horns.

Changwook had no choice but to drive ahead. But he’s going crazy!

That guy keeps going around Yoona!

-----------------

Yoona reached her house and saw Changwook waiting for her. Yoona squeezed her chest.

“You’re here…” said Yoona.

“Where were you?” asked Changwook.

“I met a friend.” Said Yoona.

Changwook stopped himself from speaking. He wanted to ask her why she was with KeunSuk that she should stop meeting him… but the forlorn look in Yoona’s eyes made him lose words.

Changwook reached Yoona’s arm.

“Did… did anything happen?” asked Changwook.

Yoona sighed.

“A lot of things happened today Oppa.” Yoona hugged Changwook tight.

“What’s… the matter? Yoona-ya… tell me what happened.” Said Changwook

Changwook pulled Yoona closer to him.

Yoona buried her face on Changwook’s neck to hide her tears.

“Oppa… you know I love you right?” asked Yoona. “And I’ll do everything I can to protect you… even when I know I can’t do anything much.”

Changwook’s brows closed in.

“If there’s a way for me to help you… to protect you… no matter how hard it is… I’ll do it.” Said Yoona. “Because I love you.”

“You are returning my words to me.” Said Changwook. “Those were the words I told you the other night.”

Yoona did not speak for a while.

“What’s the matter, Yoona? What happened?” asked Changwook.

Yoona wiped her tears.

Changwook held Yoona’s face.

“What’s wrong? Tell me.” Said Changwook.

Yoona took a deep breath. She shook her head.

“I’m just… overwhelmed. I’m happy to see you.” said Yoona.

Changwook’s face is full of worry.

Yoona brushed Changwook’s brows.

“Things… are going to be ok in the end, Oppa.” said Yoona.

------------------

There is definitely something wrong Yoona is not telling him about. And why didn’t she tell him she met that brat! These thoughts made him awake all night. This morning, Changwook is still agitated.

Changwook sighed as he browsed through the files in front of him. Yoona… looked… so sad… he couldn’t bring himself to ask her about KeunSuk.

Changwook held the report in his hand but he couldn’t understand anything.

Changwook saw an email in his laptop. It was an announcement his sister made.

Mr. Ji Changwook is officially assigned to the Head Office effective today

Changwook sighed. Jiwon did not even give him enough time to think about it.

Changwook took his phone and dialed Jiwon’s number.

“I assume you saw my email?” asked Jiwon.

“What is your plan?” asked Changwook.

“I’ll resign from my position.” Said Jiwon. “I will announce my resignation after a few weeks. You need to learn the ropes of the CEO role as soon as you get here today.”

“What did Dad say?” asked Changwook.

“Dad? He agreed.” Said Jiwon.

“Just like that?” asked Changwook.

Jiwon closed her eyes. She told her Dad last night about her illness and her Dad agreed there was no other way to handle this situation. Changwook has to be CEO as soon as possible.

“I told you… Dad had always planned you to be the CEO. He has been preparing you for that since you were a boy. I… couldn’t accept that before… I tried to keep you out so that you won’t be CEO. I didn’t like you to reap the harvest of everything I worked hard for.” Said Jiwon.

“What changed your mind?” asked Changwook.

“Soon… I will let you know soon. But for now…” Jiwon sighed. “There is something else you need to bother yourself with.”

“What do you mean?” asked Changwook.

“I saw some letters of resignation this morning. One name is quite familiar. You should ask Mr. Park about it.” Said Jiwon. “I have a meeting now. Bye.”

Jiwon ended the call.

Changwook pressed the office phone.

“Get me Mr. Park.” Said Changwook.

In a few minutes, Mr. Park entered his office.

“I got a call from the head office. Did anyone resign from our team?” asked Changwook.

Mr. Park sighed and nodded.

“Who is it?” asked Changwook.

“Sir… One of our agents submitted a resignation letter this morning.” Said Mr. Park. “Effective immediately.”

“An agent? Immediately? We have a policy that resignations should be done 30 days prior to affectivity. Is that agent not afraid we’d not give her a certificate of employment?” asked Changwook.

“I… have no answer as of now, Sir. I’ve been trying to get in touch with her but I couldn’t contact her.” Said Mr. Park.

“Who’s this agent?” asked Changwook.

“She’s Ms. Im Yoona, Sir.” Said Mr. Park.

Changwook’s eyes widened.

“Im… Yoona?”

That’s… impossible… Yoona will never resign. She needs the job to save money to buy her Dad’s house… She has no confidence she’ll get a new job. And they promised to stay together…

“Impossible…” said Changwook.

“I thought she’d stay long in this company. That girl is very dedicated although she’s not the best we have… this still shocked me.” Said Mr. Park. “And leaving just like that… I don’t know how I can split her work among everyone…”

Changwook closed his eye. The image of Yoona last night flashed before him. Yoona was crying, she was very sad… did she decide this last night? Why didn’t she tell him? Why will she suddenly resign? Where will she go after this? Where will she work?

Wait…

Did that brat offer her employment after all?

Why will she accept his offer! Is that why they met yesterday?

“Get someone from the other department to help you out. Mr. Song’s team just finished a project. Ask his people to help out. Hire someone new ASAP.” Said Changwook. “I have to go to the head office in a while. My replacement will arrive tomorrow.”

Mr. Park nodded.

“Everything is going really fast in this office.” Said Mr. Park. “Your transfer was announced just today and we couldn’t even arrange a send off party for you.”

Changwook sighed.

“That’s fine… we can always do that later. For now… I need you to watch over the team Mr. Park. There is something I need to take care of.”

Changwook went out. He went to his car and drove …drove fast. He went to Yoona’s house.

“She’s no longer here. She left this morning. She paid her rent and then left.” Said the house owner.

Changwook clenched his hand in anger.

What is happening? Why did she leave her house? Where is she going?

Changwook dialed Yoona’s number for the hundred time but only the machine answered.

“Did she say where she’s going?” asked Changwook.

“No… but a handsome man came to pick her up with his car.” Said the house owner.

A handsome man?

Changwook’s anger is getting over the edge. He needs to find Yoona. He needs to know what’s happening!

----------------

Changwook was sitting across Jiwon. Jiwon kept discussing something but Changwook wasn’t listening.

Jiwon kicked Changwoon’s foot.

“You have to pay attention. We do not have much time.” Said Jiwon.

Changwook still did not speak.

Jiwon knocked on the table.

“Earth to Changwook.” Said Jiwon.

“You… did something.” Said Changwook.

Jiwon crossed her arms over her chest.

Changwook looked up at Jiwon.

“What did you do to Yoona?” asked Changwook.

“I am absolutely sure I don’t know what you are talking about.” Said Jiwon.

Jiwon sighed.

“Actually… I had it looked at. When I saw her name in the list of resignations, I called the investigator I hired to check on Im Yoona.” Jiwon handed an envelop to Changwook.

Changwook opened the envelope  and saw pictures of Yoona and KeunSuk together. It was the same thing he saw in the café yesterday.

“They are Sunbae-Dongsae in high school.” Said Changwook

“Do you think that’s all there is between them?” asked Jiwon.

Jiwon showed another picture where Yoona looked to be carrying some luggage and KeunSuk putting some of them in his car.

“That was taken this morning. It seems she left her house and went with him,” said Jiwon. “Not telling you about her resignation… turning her phone off means she doesn’t want to be contacted. And then she even left her house with this man… it seems she cut all contacts with you to be him.”

Changwook felt the anger in him burning. He wanted to hit something hard.

“Now can you still say they’re only Sunbae-Dongsaeng?” said Jiwon. “If you keep lying to yourself like that… If this kind of thing can’t be clear to you... how will you handle a company like this?”

“That investigator surely followed Yoona from this morning. Ask him to give me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter