Apollo

Alone No More

Chapter Four: Apollo

 

Two weeks have passed since his meeting with Ha Jin, and a smile never left his lips, no matter where he was. Everything was okay with her, her exams showed that, and everything was wonderful with him. Because of her.

 

The first ones to notice it were his family. When he went for lunch Sunday, the day after his meeting with Ha Jin, he noticed his brothers were looking at him with smirks on their lips. Jung and Eun were the stranger ones, not looking him in the eye, and Baek Ah had a knowing smile on his lips, and a new brand guitar in his possession. His mother was quickly in point out his never fading smile, and asked if it was because of the girl. He preferred to just wink playfully at his mother, and it made him receive a pat at his back by his father. 

 

Yo and Won didn’t waste the opportunity to , and he teased them back, asking them for their own love life, receiving just awkward answers. Mu and Myung Ju reinforced their invitation to the dinner they were planning. And Wook complimented him. And that was just the start.

 

The second ones to notice the change on him were his employees. They noticed when their boss entered their department with a big smile on his face, and distributing pleasantries to everyone. Considering that he would just stick with a polite ‘Good Morning’, ‘Good Afternoon’ and a ‘Good Night’. And it lasted the two weeks.

 

The third ones were the board of directors. They notice that the so ever concentrated Kim Joon So would be often distracted, smiling more often than usual, and smiles that weren’t the usual mocking or cold ones. He would still be the efficient man he was, but with a new layer on his personality.

 

And the last ones to notice were the media. They noticed the change in the cold demeanor of the aloof heir. They noticed how he seemed more warm, always seen with smiles plastered on his face. Rumors started to sparkle on various outlets, mostly the ones directed to the personal life of famous people, like Dispatch. And those rumors were fed by his presence in flower shops, and his regular visit at one specific Makeup shop.

 

But he didn’t care of what people were talking about him. He wasn’t worried the least. He was courting the love of his soul, no one could stop him. He made sure to visit her as often as he could at her work with big bouquets of Peonies, and old fashioned poems written for her, she would always smile so big at him and her cheeks would flush red at the sight of her co-workers giggling at the view. He would often text her with sweet words and simple questions about her day, and she would reply with her own sweet words and worries about his day. They would often call each other at night to talk before sleep, they would talk all about their lives in the modern world, all about themselves. No secrets, nothing was kept between them, even past relationships, they knew all about each other.

 

Sometimes they would enjoy a dinner together, just looking at each other.

 

He was enjoying this. It was much better than when he did it in the past, and this time he knew she didn’t had any reservation to be with him. And after so many arrangements and talks it came the Saturday both would have a free time together again, he could go with her on a date. He planned it thoroughly, all the details, where they would stop and where they would have a romantic dinner, he made sure all his preparations were done. And with a light heart he drove to pick her up at her home.

 

The traffic was smooth, so he could get there without any problems. He parked in front of the humble apartment complex Ha Jin lived with her mother and younger brother. He checked his clothes if it was presentable, and sighed in relief that everything was in control. He was wearing a simple white t-shirt, a leather jacket and jeans. He gave a last glace at the mirror, stopping for a bit to look at the left side of his face thinking that he was grateful he didn’t have that scar anymore. Not that it would make a difference, because he knew Ha Jin never minded it, but because of what it represented in the past.

 

He finally exited the car and with uncertain steps he approached the main door of the building. So pressed the button to Ha Jin’s apartment. And a few seconds a warm gentle voice spoke through the intercom, and he felt his heart race inside his chest.

 

“Who is it?”

 

So cleared his throat and spoke.

 

“I’m Kim Joon So, I came to see Ha Jin-ssi.”

 

“Just a moment.” The voice said and soon he heard the main door open. “Come up for a bit, Kim Joon So-ssi”

 

With a deep breath, he opened the door and finally entered the building.

 

 


 

 

Jung Min Young was expectant when she heard the intercom buzz that morning. She was curious to know the man that was making her daughter smile so brightly. As a mother, she was worried, even more after the last relationship her precious daughter had with that horrible man that left her with nothing. And she was even more worried after her daughter said the said man was an ex she still had feelings for, and that they both decided to try again. An ex she didn’t know about before.

 

But as woman she was deeply impressed with the deep charming voice that came through the intercom, and the precarious image it provided of the man waiting outside their building.

 

“Who was it, omma?” the voice of her youngest son, Kang San came from the corridor that led to the rooms, he emerged from there with his hair a just-woke-up-mess. Min Young approached her son and tried to fix his hair, caressing it with care. Kang San tried his best to avoid his mother’s hands.

 

“It is your noona’s date.” She said so causally. “He is coming here.”

 

At her words the young Go stopped, and she finally could take care of her son’s hair. His eyes were two slits when he glared the door of their apartment. He was going to show that guy that he wouldn’t let anyone play with his sister anymore. He would have to convince him he could go out with her.

 

As Min Young finally finished her work in her son’s hair, someone knocked at the door. She scanned the living room, noticing that everything was in place. Kang San crossed his arms, and glared at the door with more intensity. Ha Jin’s mother walked to the door and opened it to allow the man she was so curious to know enter her apartment.

 

She was surprised with the man that entered humbly at her house, with a formal bow, and that politely greeted her. The image of the intercom didn’t make him any justice. He was really, really handsome, with a slim figure, that reveled a few muscles, hair perfectly styled, and fine clothes, and a charming smile in his lips. But what made her even more surprised were that peculiar shaped eyes that looked at her.

 

“Excuse me ma’am, I am Kim Joon So, nice to meet you.” He said, his deep voice even more alluring than it was through the mic of the intercom.

 

Min Young blinked her big round eyes, so similar to her daughter’s and smiled sweetly.

 

“Nice to meet you too, Kim Joon So-ssi, I am Jung Min Young, Ha Jin’s eommonim.” She glanced at her son, that seemed a bit taken aback because of the man standing at their door. Min Young shook her head in amusement and spoke. “And that youngster there, is my son, Go Kang San, Ha Jin’s dongsaeng.” Her words seemed to woke up her son from his state, and he composed himself in time for the man look at him. 

 

“Nice to meet you.” Joon So said, bowing again to the younger male, making the lad surprised, again.

 

“You can, enter Joon So-ssi.” Min Young spoke again, pointing at the neat living room, with an entrance to the kitchen at his right.

 

The mysterious man that was her daughter’s date took his shoes off and entered her house, looking around at the family photos plastered on their walls, and posted himself in the middle of her living room. She closed the door behind her and glared at her son.

 

“Kang San-ah, we offer our visits to seat” she reprimanded her son, that seemed that had forgotten basic social skills.

 

She saw how he ruffed and offered a seat for the older man in their couch. She saw when the man politely accepted.

 

“Do you want anything to drink?” she asked.

 

“No, thank you ma’am, I am fine.” He said politely, but with a sincere smile in his lips. She liked it.

 

Min Yong reached a chair close by where he was seated and accommodated herself.

 

“So…” she said, attracting his attention to her. “What are your intentions with my daughter, mister Kim Joon So-sii?” Min Young smiled more to see the surprise in his peculiar shaped eyes. She smiled more when she noticed him looking at her son as well, she knew the lad would be looking serious too.

 

“Well…” he started. “Honestly, I want to marry her someday.” She gasped. She didn’t expect that answer.

 

“M-Marry?” Even Kang San was surprised.

 

“Yes” Joon So said, glancing at his hands at his laps before turning to stare at the family of the woman he loved. “We had a relationship before, I guess she told you so…” He knew for sure she did, they talked about it on phone once. “At the time, we were young, and even that what we had were true, we hurt each other with our reckless behavior, we tried to embrace more than we could.” To say that when they were 25 were too young were too much, but considering know they were aware their relationship has centuries, it kind of makes sense. “So, we parted… But I always knew she was the one for me, and she still had me in her heart, so we decided to try again, and I will court her, if you allow me to.” He finished, looking at the two most important people of his Ha Jin at this life time.

 

“I…” Min Young didn’t know what to say. She heard a similar story by her daughter, and to see that fine young man say it, she felt overwhelmed. She could saw the love and devotion in his eyes, something she never saw in Ha Jin’s ex-boyfriend. And she remembered of seeing the same emotions in her daughter’s eyes when retelling the story. The same sadness was there too. But… “How I never heard about you before?”

 

He looked at her, the sadness accentuated in his eyes.

 

“We didn’t end well… And I guess, we didn’t want to think about each other, so we didn’t speak about what we had. We for a while wanted that relationship to be just ours, but it ended before we could tell anyone.” It was what they agreed to say when the question pop up again.

 

“And what you think things will go right this time? That you won’t hurt my noona again?” Kang San said, a hint of challenge in his tone. After the death of his father he knew he needed to be there for his mother and sister. He would do everything to protect them. And he felt he failed already, with what happened to Ha Jin two years prior. He was at the army at the time, and he couldn’t prevent her accident, or beat that crap of boyfriend she had. “She already had enough”

 

Kang San glared at the man seated at their couch. He wouldn’t be intimidated by his haughty stance, or his air of command. He expected the man to look down on him, but he was surprised to see the serious look in his face and the serious way he answering to his question.

 

“Because I will do the possible and impossible to make Ha Jin happy, to be a man that is worth of her, to be the man she need.” He paused. “I know… I really know that she had enough of disappointments in her life, I was one of them once. But… I know I will do my best to be there for her, for how long she wishes me close to her.” Kang San could feel the sincerity, the love, something so strong, so deep that it seemed to come from centuries. And he felt relieved, that a man like that was there for his sister.

 

“Then, make it worth, Kim Joon So-ssi.” He said, and he could feel the proud look of his mother on him.

 

So smiled at the younger male and nodded in agreement. He would make it all worth. All of it.

 

 


 

 

Ha Jin felt annoyed at the sound of laughs coming from outside her room. Why people would be so happily laughing so early at the Saturday morning that she was finally having a break? She didn’t know. She snorted in annoyance and raised from her bed, her hair all messy, and her short pajamas showing her long legs. She yanked her door open and marched to the living room, rubbing her sleepy eyes.

 

“Why are you laughing so loud?” her voice was hoarse with sleep.

 

The laughs stopped and three pairs of eyes stared at her. She blinked confused for a while, trying to figure out the extra pair of eyes, when she could finally identify who was the owner of them. She screamed at the same her mother reprimanded her.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“You, lazy girl!”

 

The two males laughed, and the older one gave her a side way smile that made her heart beat crazily on her chest.

 

“I came to pick you up, or you forgot?” his deep voice made all things with her insides. Mostly made her remember her plans.

 

“Shoot! I’m late!” She retreated back to her room, she grabbed all she needed, at the same time she heard her mother apologize for her behavior. She ran into the bathroom, and almost screamed again, when she saw the state he has seen her, she felt so embarrassed.

 

She never took a bath so quickly as she did. She even could wash everything that was needed, with her hair included, and dresses in such a speed like she did in that moment. She combed her hair and blow it dry, and run out of the bathroom to her room to put some make up.

 

Ha Jin could hear from her room while she was now spending her time to make her make up to look perfect, the conversation going on the living room.

 

“You are Kim San Eun older brother? Really?” the animated voice of her younger brother could be heard.

 

“Yes” the curt answer of her So made her giggle.

 

“Gosh, I am really his fan! His games are awesome, I want to be like him some day. I’m studying to enter the University, Computer Engineering.” Kang San enthusiasm could be felt form where she was.

 

“Good luck on that. If you want I can ask Eunnie to give you some tips, he sure would like to know he has a fan.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Kang San-ah… I am sorry for this.” Her mother interfered.

 

“Oh, is no problem ma’am” So’s voice was filled with assurance.

 

At that moment, Ha Jin gave the last touches in her make up, and sprinkled perfume on her. Roses, her favorite perfume. And she put some earrings. She looked at herself in the mirror and smiled. She chose comfortable clothes, like he suggested her the night before. Long sleeved blouse, and a pair of jeans, and a purse she could carry on both shoulders.

 

She finally exited her room to be greeted with another round of laughter. Ha Jin smiled to see So smiling so openly at her family, and her mother and brother being so at ease with him. It warmed her heart.

 

“I am ready” she said, attracting the attention to her again. And she could feel the heat crawling its way to her cheeks when So stared at her so intently.  

 

“Finally, Sleeping Beauty is here, Joon So-ssi. I hope you two have a great day today.” He mother said, getting up form where she was seated. And glanced at her with a warm smile.

 

“Thank you” he said. He got up from where he was seated as well. Never breaking his eye contact with her. Min Yong just smiled more at see how the couple were so lost in each other, and she shook her head in amusement.

 

She was relieved to see that, at least.

 

 


 

 

They left after they said their goodbyes at her mother and her brother, and soon he was leading her to his car. He drove off with her to the streets of Seoul. Passing by buildings, shops, and other landmarks within the city. He was heading at one of the highways that led to outside of the big city.

 

They drove for a few hours out of the capital, reaching areas that were less urban, and they could see beautiful landscapes with the nature greeting them. The autumn was a beautiful time. A still bit warm during the day, but with cold nights. The leaves were changing colors and its beauty was something Ha Jin appreciated. She was enjoying the view of the passing land at her car window.

 

So was eventually glancing at her smiling at her awed expression. The comfortable silence between them being just filled by the car radio. They were enjoying the silence just to enjoy each other presence. When an entrance appeared at the road, So followed it, and Ha Jin could see they were entering a propriety, with its big gates permitting their entrance, and some meters away a big house where So parked his car at the entrance. Ha Jin turned at him.

 

“Where are we?” she asked, with curiosity.

 

“This is my family’s farm, we raise horses here.” He said smiling.  

 

Ha Jin nodded, looking at the house. It wasn’t a very modern or sumptuous house, it was very simple in fact, just big. Sometimes she forgets how rich his family was. Again. But this time all of them seemed really humble, so different of chaebols families she saw in dramas. Or how they were back in their previous life.

 

She was woken of her thoughts when So opened her door for her, and offered his hand to her. She took it and he guided her to the entrance door of the house. An employee opened the door to them.

 

“Let’s let our things here, I want to show you something” he said, guiding her into the rooms well decorated, and with wooden colors and warm feeling into it.

 

“Here is so beautiful.” She said, looking around.

 

“Omma would be grateful to hear that.” He said gently, as they were exiting at the door at the back of the house, that led them to where the horses were kept.

 

In front of the building it had a small arena, where it had a man talking to a beautiful white horse, making the animal run in circles. They approached the arena, and Ha Jin could see the horse closely. It’s fur was shining under the sun light, it’s horsehair and tail long and well combed. The horse had a really beautiful posture, almost like a noble horse, with big brown eyes. The man that was training the horse stopped what he was doing and gently tugged the horse to come near the board of the arena where they were.

 

“Hello there, young master” the man said with a gentle smile. “Apollo would be ready soon.”

 

“Don’t need to rush, Ahjussi.” So answered. Ha Jin was still looking the horse with admiration in her eyes.

 

“He is yours, So-yah?” she asked, awed.

 

“Yes” So chuckled at the sparkle in Ha Jin’s eyes. The older man that was taking care of the horse smiled.

 

“Do you like horses, miss?” he asked.

 

Ha Jin blinked out of her admiration and with burning cheeks she nodded.

 

“Yes… Although I never learnt how to ride one.”

 

“Oh… I guess young master can teach you, he is really good on this.” The Ahjussi said smiling at the embarrassed So. The elder winked at the younger one.

 

He excused himself and left the couple alone. Leaving a blushing So and an amused Ha Jin.

 

“So… Are you going to teach me?” She asked, hugging him sideways, and looking at him from below. She blinked just to add the effect of persuasion.

 

So laughed and shook his head at her aegyo.  

 

“Of course, I will.” A mischievous smile painted his lips. “If I knew you were a girl full of charms back then… I would have offered to teach you horse riding before.”

 

They both laughed. And So took the opportunity to steal a kiss from her, what made the girl blush and a gentle smile appear in his lips.

 

 


 

 

They were riding Apollo together, Ha Jin in front of So, his arms were around her protectively. Ha Jin was holding the rains, with So hands above hers instructing her onto how to hold it properly. The white worse was in a steady peace, running into the vast fields where the horses could be freely hanging around during the day.

 

“Let’s turn the left there” he said pointing at front of them, where a path could be seen, where a lot of trees were interrupting the empty space they were currently in. “Do you remember how you do it?” he asked gently.

 

“Yes!” She said, concentrating in the pressure she did in the rain pulling it lightly at the left, making the horse go by her command.

 

“Good” she heard his voice close to her ear, making her shiver and her heart race in her chest.

 

So smiled when he felt her reaction at him. He made question to approach her, making her lean more onto him.

 

“Sneaky” he heard she say. He just chuckled.

 

They entered the path So had indicated, and Apollo kept his steady peace. Ha Jin remembered the other times she rode a horse with So. One to escape her wedding with the King, and the other time when he went with her to the shore to see the ocean, where he confessed for the first time and gave her the hairpin. The third time was the best one, in her opinion. She let herself lean on him even more, and let a sigh escape her lips.

 

“What’s the matter?” he asked.

 

“I am just thinking this is my favorite horse riding with you” she said, closing her eyes for a bit, to enjoy the air pass by her. “I should have let myself enjoy the other times too…” a hint of sadness in her voice.

 

So didn’t know what to answer. He understood what she meant. But they were together again, the past would be always there. They would create new memories, new paths, new stories. They will make all of their second chance.

 

“What is important is the now, Ha Jin-ah” he said softly. “What is important is the two of us.”

 

She opened her eyes again, a small smile in her lips.

 

“Yes…” he was right. She turned her head around, to see him behind her. “I am glad we have each other.”

 

“We are here” he said, without answering. She turned to look at the front, noticing a man-made lake, with trees and flower plants surrounding it. With a small pier with a boat house, and in another corner of the lake it had a gazebo.

 

When they approached the gazebo, she noticed it had stuffed chairs and a round table in the middle of it. On top of the round table a wooden basket was waiting for them.

 

So was the first one to dismount the horse, and helped her to go down to the ground. He left her alone to tie the reins at one of the sturdy trees close to the gazebo. Ha Jin looked around finding it really familiar, and she was quickly in say that to him.

 

“So… Here, it really looks like…” she couldn’t finish her words.

 

“Is like Lake Dongji” So completed her words. “Because of my dreams of my life as Wang So, I’ve always dreamed about the lake, and when aboji bought this land, I asked him if I could construct a lake, he allowed me to. And it was made as the way I remembered it to be, of course not exactly like, but similar.” He said, looking at her. “And it was just missing you.”

 

Ha Jin looked at him, enchanted by his wolfish eyes. But she noticed when his expression changed, he reached his arm to her waist and pulled her in his direction, like he used to do, and lowered his head to match hers. Her heart was thumping loudly in her chest. He approached their faces, he tilted his head a bit to position himself, and images of the other times he did it passed on her mind. Differently from what she would do in the past, she circled his neck with her arms, and finished the rest of empty space between them. Their lips finally meeting.

 

The kiss started slow, filled with love and adoration. Soon the intensity grew, and the kiss turned passionate, lips moving in synchrony. His hand came cupping her cheek, and she hugged him closer. They separated briefly to breath, but their lips seemed to be attracted to each other because soon their lips were locking again, this time in a French kiss. One of her hands reached his short hair pulling it a bit, and his hand in her waist pulled her even closer, lips moving, tongues exploring and battling for power.

 

Apollo whinnied, startling the couple that separated of each other in a jump. They looked around embarrassed and laughed of their situation.

 

“I think we should stop doing it in public…” Ha Jin said, still breathless.

 

“I like this way, is more… Interesting” a playful smile appeared in his lips. Ha Jin slapped his arm lightly.

 

“I didn’t know you were this ert.” She said, walking in direction of the Gazebo. So chuckled, following behind her.

 

“I am like this because of you, Ha Jin-ah” he said, as they were walking the few steps to reach the table and the chairs.

 

Ha Jin just buffed and looked around the gazebo, and finally taking a peak at the basket, that she discovered to be full of picnic food, kimbab, sausages, sandwiches, dried squid, and some other traditional food.

 

“You prepared this?” she asked.

 

“Yes… I just asked Ahjumma to bring it here before we arrive”

 

She smiled at him, and seated in one of the stuffed chairs, and he seated in front of her, while she was taking out the food from the basket.

 

“Do we have drinks?” she asked, and he pointed at the cooler next to him. “Ohhhh…. You are so considerate, Joon So-ssi” she joked with him.

 

“All for you” he answered simply, and looked at her eyes. She blushed at his words.

 

“Pabo!”

 

“A pabo for you”

 

Ha Jin cringed.

 

“Yah! You are so cheesy” he chuckled at her cute face, and reached his arm in her direction, knocking her forehead lightly with his knuckle, like he used to do.

 

“Stop complaining, or I will increase the level” he said with a mocking smile on his lips. Ha Jin glared at him. He chuckled again, and was ready to say something, but she was quickly and stuffed his mouth with kimbab. She laughed at his shocked face, and he was quickly in retaliate, picking up a piece of sausage and stuffing with it.

 

And their late lunch was like that, with both of them stuffing the other mouth. With him being especially cheesy, and she being really playful. And sometimes, they would just stop to look at each other and smile. Because being at each other presence was all they needed.

 

 


 

 

The rest of the day were so quickly, after their lunch at the gazebo, they walked around the lake, enjoying the autumn air, and just talked about everything. About their families, work, dreams, hobbies, favorite books. They sometimes enjoyed the silence and the peace that lake brought them. As the memories, it would bring as well of another lake and another time.

 

They later continued to ride Apollo. She could even mount on the big horse by herself with minimal help of him, she stood proud of her feat, and he would say she did good. He mounted after her and they put the horse to run again. This time she taking care of the rains alone. They could safely reach the small arena close of the Farm house, and they give the beautiful white horse back to Ahjussi.

 

And this time So showed her the farm hose, showing her all the rooms, and where it was everything. She found the house even more beautiful the second time she entered there. And this time she noticed the Ahjumma that took care of everything. She thanked the woman for their lunch. The woman waved the compliment with a big gentle smile.

 

So explained to her that Ahjussi and Ahjumma took care of their farm, they lived in a house inside the farm at some meters away from the main house. Their children would work at the farm in the vacation period, but that time of the year they were all studying in Seoul, sponsored by his father. She felt touched to how Emperor Taejo turned this life time.

 

Soon the night fell onto the farm, and with it the cold of the autumn night. They had a more sophisticated meal as dinner, prepared by Ahjumma. With candles and wine. And they continued to play with each other like in their lunch. They had fun feeding each other. And Ahjumma watched that with eyes sparkling. She never saw Joon So that carefree and sweet, not with frequency. And she was just happy that she could see someone bring out that side of him. She would have a lot to tell her Madam when she called her the next morning.

 

After the dinner, they settled themselves in the living room of the farm house, they seated at the fluffy carpet, with blankets around their shoulders and a cup of hot chocolate in their hands. The fire place was lit, the fire was crackling, and its warmth was engulfing them in a comfortable atmosphere.

 

Ha Jin rested her head in So’s shoulder, making herself comfortable. He let himself slide closer to her, to make it better for her, and he let a sigh escape his lips.

 

“I want to stay like this forever” So said.

 

“Me too” she answered. “We could just elope and stay here forever”

 

So laughed and shook his head amusedly.

 

“Is a nice idea, but I want to do this right this time Ha Jin.”

 

She pouted, even that he couldn’t see her face, but soon smiled and snuggled more onto him.

 

“So, this time you will ask me into marriage at the prayer towers?” he tone was amused.

 

“This time you will say ‘yes’?” He asked back, the same light tone. Slowly Ha Jin lift her head of his shoulder and looked at him. He did the same, he looked at her.

 

They started at each other eyes. And she simply said.

 

“Yes”

 

He breathed deeply, and when he answered his voice was deeper than usual.

 

“Then, yes… I will.”

 

 


 

 

N/A: And here is the end of this chapter hahahahaha  ;) I hope you liked. I wanted to show a bit of his courting. And I hope I have succeed. But don’t worry, more is coming.

Is time of his brothers to witness his courting huhuhuhu So who do you think will be the first brother to do so? Let what you think on the comments. The ones that guess it right will gain cookie points hahahaha  

And what you guys think about Ha Jin’s family? Don’t worry they will appear more in the future. Do expect interactions between Kang San and Eun ;)

Thank you for everyone that comment, subscribe, leave kudos, upvote, favorite and follow this story.

Nath :*  

PS: I have a poll in the foreword of this fanfic regarding to it, please, vote there!