five.

Before You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

FIVE.

"What happened last night?" Kento asked the Monday after the party. "My head hurt very bad and I can't remember anything."

"You-"

"Nothing," Misuk cut off Sumin, giving her a knowing look. "Nothing at all, Kento. Nothing, nothing, nothing!"

The boy looked at his co-workers questioningly but decided not to ask anymore questions. The other four looked at each other in relief, successfully sparing Kento from absolute humiliation.

After the disastrous event that happened last Friday, it was an unspoken agreement to spare Kento as to not freak the poor Japanese man out. Ignorance is bliss and it was better that way, or else Kento might be traumatized for the rest of his life.

Sumin turned from their station just in time for Sehun to enter the building. Immediately, she felt herself blush at the sight of the handsome man with his hair gelled up, a white dress shirt on, black slacks and penny loafers. He was not wearing his glasses that day which gave everyone a good view of his face. Sumin's thoughts immediatebly gobbled. Oh Sehun was definitely one who could pull off handsome and y at the same time.

"Good morning, Dr. Oh," Sumin bowed and the other interns followed.

"Oh, good morning, Sumin," Sehun nodded then turned to his other four minions. "Morning."

Sehun looked at Sumin once more. "Please see me in my office around 10. I have a scheduled surgery to discuss with you."

Sumin bowed as Sehun immediately entered his office, leaving a unknowing smile to form on Sumin's lips but she immediately tried to wipe it off when she realized that her friends were all looking at her in mixed expressions (either they were amused or suspicious).

"What was that?" Hana asked, though from the look on her face, Sumin probably knew the girl had a hunch what was going on.

"Good morning, Sumin," Taehyung mocked in a fake raspy voice, as if he was imitating his boss. "Morning. We have names too, you know!"

"Taehyung, shut up!" Misuk scolded. "You're too loud for your own good."

Taehyung pouted but everyone ignored him as they turned to Sumin once again, who was suddenly interested in the ground and what kind of tiles was embedded onto it.

"Alright," Hana said. "Talk."

"What do you mean?" Sumin asked.

"What was up with that?" Misuk pointed out. "He's being nice. Well, not nice, nice. Dr. Oh Sehun is arrogant as . But lately, he's so calm. He's not yelling, glaring or telling us how useless we are!"

"He is arrogant," Sumin agreed. "But behind all that, he's actually a good person. If you guys just get to know him.."

"Holy ," Taehyung blurted out.

"What?" Sumin asked dumbly.

"Sumin, you like him!" Misuk yelled out, making Sumin gasp and cover immediately.

Sumin looked around and breathed out in relief when she saw that no one seemed to have noticed and hurriedly, she dragged Misuk to the break room, others in tow.

"Sorry," Sumin said sheepishly once she pulled away.

"You like him!" Misuk screeched. "This is unbelievable!"

"I do?" Sumin questioned.

"Of course you do, stupid!" Hana snapped. "Why else would you look at him, blushing like a tomato? Going all, 'good morning, Dr. Oh!' and stuff like that. Damn, Sumin, you like him!"

"What happened anyway?" Misuk asked. "As far as I remembered, you hated him and now, you're looking at him like some googly-eyed smitten girl."

"I-I don't know," Sumin said shakily. "I-It's just, I took care of him once and saw that he was lonely. He's going through a lot and last Friday after you all left, we went out for coffee and we got to know each other and... it just happened. He's not as bad as many of them say he is. He's just misunderstood, he's a very good person."

"She likes him," Kento affirmed.

Sumin did not even deny it. Why else would her heart beat every time she saw Sehun? Why else would she try so hard not to make a fool of herself when he's around? Why else would he be the first person she thought of when she woke up and last when she slept?

Sumin was absolutely infatuated and there was no problem with that. Except, she didn't know how to handle it.

"I do," Sumin admitted.

"Seriously?" Taehyung gasped. "You really do like him?"

Sumin nodded.

"Oh my god!" Misuk squealed, clapping. "Hospital romance!! I love it!"

"So what do I do?" Sumin asked.

"Well the very obvious thing," Hana responded. "Ask him on a date. That's a start."

"But what if he says no?" Sumin hesitated.

"You'll never know unless you try," Hana encouraged. "Come on, Su, do it for love!"

"You think I should?" Sumin asked.

"Of course," Hana nodded. "Besides, there's a 80% chance that I feel he might like you back."

"What about the other 20%?" Taehyung asked.

"Shut up, Taehyung," Misuk said. "Go, Sumin, ask him out. Who knows, something good might come out of it."

They were right. She nodded in gratitude before they all decided to separate and start their internship that day, but Sumin's mind was on how she would speak without looking like an idiot.

And how much she hoped he wouldn't say no.

Han Sumin counted the seconds in her watch and the moment it struck to 10, she hurriedly walked up to Sehun's office, but not before looking at her reflection to see if she was decent enough. When she was pleased with herself, she took a deep breath and knocked on his door.

She heard a raspy 'come in' and that was when her heart did a little somersault and she opened the door.

"Dr. Oh," Sumin bowed. "Did you call for me?"

"Ah, yes," Sehun nodded, closing his laptop. "Have a seat, Sumin."

Sumin nodded and did as told, as Sehun took a clipboard from his desk and started scrolling through it. "Remember that patient I told you about, that was referred by Dr. Byun from General Medicine to me?"

"Yes," Sumin nodded.

"After reviewing her medical history, status and such, Dr. Byun and I have agreed to push through with a surgery," Sehun continued. "Her name is Nam Heekyung, a woman in her early 60's, and she is experiencing severe backpain by her lumbosacral vertebral column. She will be coming in 30 minutes for an appointment. We will be giving her some overview of the surgery and doing more scans so we can see methods. I would like you to assist me. Will you be able to do that?"

"Yes, Dr. Oh," Sumin nodded. "I will work hard."

"Good," Sehun smiled. "Please wait for Mrs. Nam outside. Dr. Byun's assistant will give us a heads up upon her arrival."

Sumin stood up and bowed, feeling her heart beat after talking to Sehun. It was simple, they were talking about work but why did she feel like her insides were going to melt?

She did not know how long she was standing outside but an intern her age suddenly appeared in her line of sight and she was escorting a woman beside her, in her early sixties. She had curly hair and a round face. She looked like those grandmothers that people often see in movies that would bake someone cookies or give them knitted sweaters on the holidays.

The intern with the elder lady slowly approached her.

"Are you Dr. Oh's assistant?" The younger lady asked. Sumin nodded and the former smiled. "My name is Dr. Kang Seulgi from the General Medicine Department and on behalf of Dr. Byun, I am here escorting Mrs. Nam. Please take care of her."

"Thank you, Dr. Kang," Sumin said. "We will do our best."

Dr. Kang nodded and bowed at Heekyung before Sumin smiled at the elder lady and bowed once more.

"Hello, Mrs. Nam," Sumin said. "My name is Han Sumin and I will be your assistant doctor. I will be taking you to the head surgeon, Dr. Oh Sehun, now."

She slowly escorted the elder lady towards Sehun's office and as they were about to enter, Heekyung tugged on her sleeve and she turned to look at her.

"Is he a good surgeon?" Heekyung asked. "Can he really cure me?"

Sumin smiled and slowly nodded.

"I'd like to believe so," She said. "Dr. Oh is very hardworking and very smart. He's amazing at what he does and I assure you, he will give everything he has to make you feel better."

Heekyung smiled. "That's enough assurance for me."

"Let's start with your appointment then, shall we?" Sumin said and the elder woman nodded.

Sumin knocked on Sehun's door and once again, when she got a response, she opened and bowed with Mrs. Nam following behind. "Dr. Oh, Mrs. Nam is here."

"Ah," Sehun stood up and bowed. "Hello, my name is Oh Sehun and I will be giving you the overview of the surgery."

Heekyung nodded. "Please take care of me."

"I will work hard," Sehun said. "Please have a seat so I can start with the check-up."

Heekyung did as told as Sehun grabbed his stethoscope and placed that detector against Mrs. Nam's heart. Sumin watched in awe as Sehun concentrated on his patient and she was filled with fascination at how dedicated he looked.

"Ophthalmoscope," Sehun said and Sumin quickly grabbed the device from a nearby table. "Please stay still, Mrs. Nam." Sehun steadied the opthalmoscope on his hand and nodded before grabbing the flashlight to look through her eyes. "Sumin, get me the otoscope."

"Yes," Sumin nodded and did as told, then Sehun proceeded to checking on Heekyung's ears. After about a minute, he pulled away. "Mrs. Nam, vital signs seem stable. Now, we'll check on your blood pressure."

Sehun peeked at his table and frowned to see that the needed equipment was missing, so he turned to his assistant. "Sumin, will you check on my sphygmomanometer in the 1st drawer."

"Yes, Dr. Oh," Sumin said. Sumin hurriedly walked to Sehun's draw only for her to trip on her foot and fall sideways on her , down to the ground, much to her misfortune.

"Dr. Han!"

"Sumin!"

Both surgeon and patient looked at the clumsy girl, embarrassed and on the ground, for causing a scene not just to her crush but to the patient as well. She would definitely expect a lecture about being careful once Heekyung's appointment was over.

Way to go, Han Sumin.

Sehun excused himself before he walked towards Sumin, helping her up. Strangely, his hold on her hand was not as aggressive but soft and gentle as he looked at her in concern.

"Are you okay?" Sehun asked once he helped her up.

"I'm really sorry," She bowed in 90 degrees. "I'm sorry. I wasn't looking at where I was going. It won't happen again."

Sehun looked at her in amusement before he chuckled and nodded, much to Sumin's surprise. There were no insults or glares. Instead, Sehun turned to Heekyung who just witnessed the entire exchange.

"I'm sorry about my intern," Sehun bowed. "She's quite the klutz but she's a brilliant student." Sumin blushed at his words, and hopefully, he didn't notice.

"Hehe," Heekyung laughed. "It's quite alright. You two remind me of my husband and I back in the day."

Sumin froze at Heekyung's words. Although her words were harmless, her insides, once again, decided to flutter when someone implied them association of husband and wife. She discretely glanced at Sehun to see that he was still looking at Heekyung, composed but a small smile on his face.

"Is that so?" Sehun asked.

Heekyung nodded. "Back when were in school, I was a clumsy one and one day, I ended up tripping but this boy passing by caught me and things just took off there. Now we've been together for nearly 50 years."

"Wow," Sumin smiled sheepishly. "But I'm not usually this clumsy."

"Oh, hush, girl," Heekyung said. "Don't worry, if you fall, I'm pretty sure Dr. Oh would be here to catch you. You two would make a lovely pair."

"But-"

"Thank you, Mrs. Nam," Sehun said, calm and composed. "But back to the check up, why don't we check on your blood pressure before we get some CT scans and x-rays?"

Heekyung laughed. "Alright. Just do what you got to do!"

Sehun nodded at her then glanced at Sumin who nodded as she headed for one of his drawers to find the sphygomomanometer. Her heart beating rapidly but she tried not to let it show, or else everything would be given away.

She handed Sehun the device the moment she found it and he started checking on Heekyung's blood pressure which was stable and normal, before he stood up. "Everything is fine and you seem healthy enough for surgery. Now we just need some scans before we schedule your check in and surgery. How does that sound?"

"Alright," Heekyung said. "Just please take care of me."

"Of course Mrs. Nam," Sehun nodded. "That's what Dr. Han and I are here for."

Heekyung smiled in delight before Sehun turned to Sumin. "Please her to the lab. I'll be joining you shortly."

Sumin nodded and helped Heekyung sit up before walking out with her to the laboratory across the hall. It was silent at first, Sumin's thoughts constantly moving to her job then back at Sehun - who did nothing to deny Heekyung's words - and she wondered what he thought of her. She blushed at the possibilites.

"You like him, don't you?" A voice disrupted her deep thought and she turned to Heekyung who had a gummy smile on her face.

"E-Excuse me?" Sumin stuttered.

"Aww," She cooed, pinching Sumin's cheek. "Young love! You don't have to pretend, Dr. Han! You like him, don't you? The handsome doctor."

"I-"

"It's okay, child," Heekyung chuckled. "But what are you doing there, trying so hard not showing it? Take a chance on him! By the looks of it, you have a good chance."

"I-I don't know..." Sumin admitted. "I'm not exactly a dating expert."

"And you'll never know unless you try, hon," Mrs. Nam ruffled her hair. "Believe me, you have to take the chance. Who knows what might happen.."

Sumin did not say anything else as they arrived in the lab. She spoke to the receptionist who immediately prepared all the equipment necessary for the CT scans and X-rays before Sumin pointed to the room where Heekyung had to change into a gown.

Her heart had been going crazy lately - it wasn't often that she would be in the presence of such a handsome man who happened to be her senior. She liked him, she knew that but despite her friends and Heekyung's encouragement to make a move, she was not certain if she should. What would happen if he would go back to being an or treating her like or worse, what if he didn't even feel the same way?

"By the way," Heekyung interrupted her train of thought once more, winking. "He's a keeper."

And Sumin just became more confused then ever.

After all the scans, x-rays, and scheduling of appoitments and surgeries, Sumin has finally decided that she deserved a break.

She glanced at the clock to see that it was 10 in the evening, 3 hours till the end of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter