epilogue - part two.

Before You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

EPILOGUE (PART 2).

 

Expecting

“Baby,” Sehun’s head peeked out the bathroom door as he watched Sumin wipe and look up from the toilet bowl. “Is everything okay?”

Sumin nodded and wiped , “Just really peachy.. my stomach really hurts.”

“Hmm,” Sehun looked at her skeptically. “It’s your day off, right? Stay at home and rest up. I’ll be home by dinner.”

“But-” Before Sumin could protest, Sehun had already cut her off.

“Babe, please?” Sehun pleaded. “I have a surgery to do and I don't think I'll be able to concentrate if you go with me instead of resting.”

Sumin sighed and nodded in understanding, not wanting to burden Sehun if she insisted on coming along to the hospital. After eating a quick breakfast, Sumin walked her husband to the door, helping him fix his tie, before the latter gave her a soft kiss on her lips.

“Rest up,” He mumbled against her skin. “I’ll see you later, okay?”

Sumin nodded as Sehun left his, or their, apartment. She sighed and sat back on the couch, not knowing what to do now that he was at work and made her stay at home. She stood up a minute later and started cleaning the plates they used during breakfast and started cleaning around the house; however, halfway, the same queasy feeling she had in the morning started to rise up again.

She hurriedly rushed to the bathroom and let out the egg fried rice she ate that morning. She wiped afterwards and stood up, not understanding the strange feeling she was having around her body. She got out of the bathroom and looked at the clock to see that it was barely 10 in the morning.

Sumin thought of who to call. Sehun was definitely out of question, Misuk was on a day off, Kento was on leave to visit some relatives in Japan, and Hana and Taehyung were on duty. She dialled the first number she thought of after.

“Sumin?” Seul answered after the first ring.

“Mom,” Sumin spoke. “Can you come over? Let’s have lunch.”

“Alright,” Seul said. “If I leave now, I can arrive before lunch. Do you want me to bring anything?”

“Kimchi, mom!” Sumin answered. “And some pork ribs! Sehun loves your homemade side-”

Sumin was cut off by the lump coming up . She rushed to the kitchen sink and vomitted out more of the acid that was in her stomach.

“Sugoo, is everything okay?” Seul asked, her voice filled with concern as she heard her daughter.

“I’m fine, mom!” Sumin immediately responded. “I think I just caught a stomach bug from eating too much rice.”

“Hmm,” Seul thought for a moment. “Well I’ll bring you some tea too. I’m on my way, so rest up.”

Sumin bid her mom farewell as she stayed on the couch, closing her eyes and her hand unconsciously moving to her stomach. She woke up an hour later to a ring on her doorbell. She slowly got up and walked towards the door, greeting her mother who brought in paper bags of food and a thermos.

“Child, you look so pale!” Seul gasped as she looked at her daughter. “What have you been doing?”

“I just haven’t been feeling well lately, Mom,” Sumin sighed. “And I just feel dizzy often.”

Seul nodded. “Well I made some chamomile tea. Drink that while I make us some lunch.”

Sumin nodded and reached for the thermos, pouring tea on a cup and sipping it. She let out a sound of relief, the warmth of the liquid circulating  and easing some of the tension on her mind. She drank one more cup before heading to her mother who was busy preparing lunch in the kitchen. But the moment she stepped into the area, she was greeted with the overwhelming smell of sauteed meat and sesame oil. She nearly puked; thus, covering .

“Mom!” She whined. “Too much sesame oil!”

“Too much?” Seul turned to her. “What do you mean? I placed just one spoon of sesame oil!”

Sumin looked at her mother like a deer in headlights. She did not understand what was wrong with her. Every morning, she kept on vomiting what she had just eaten for breakfast. Afterwards, her stomach would hurt and now she was ultra sensitive to her surroundings regardless if it’s her sense of smell, taste, and whatnot.

Seul noticed the discomfort on her daughter’s face and approached her, “Sugoo, have you gone to the doctor about this?”

“No,” Sumin shook her head. “I don’t think it’s necessary, Mom. I think it’s just a stomach bug.”

“I don’t think it’s just a stomach bug, Sumin,” Seul looked at her. “When did you last have your period?”

Sumin froze from her spot, looking at her mother, and finally understanding what she was trying to say. It had been two, almost three, months since she and Sehun returned from their honeymoon. They had so much work to catch up on, especially since Sumin was officially a doctor, and the thought hasn’t crossed her mind.

“There’s a pharmacy across the street,” Seul said, turning off the stove. “Sit down. I’ll be back in 10 minutes.”

Seul left her apartment while Sumin sat on the chair across the counter. How could she not have thought of it? She was a doctor and Sehun was a doctor yet they both failed to notice. And of course the possibility was high, Paris wasn’t the only time they have spent the nights making love, even when they returned to Seoul, they spent hours tangled under the sheets. She shouldn’t be surprised at the possibility.

Her mother returned exactly as she said and handed Sumin two boxes of tests, giving her an assuring smile. Sumin did not say anything else as she nodded at her mother before heading to the bathroom.  

“Positive,” Sumin whispered. “Positive.”

She looked at the two sticks of pregnancy tests she was holding, both with two lines on the screen. She couldn’t believe it. There was life inside of her, one she created with the love of her life. Feeling herself tear up, she moved her hands around her still-flat stomach.

My baby, She thought to herself then smiled, thinking of Sehun. Our baby.

The news excited her, though she would not know for certain until she went to a doctor rather than rely on a pregnancy test, yet she was still happy. She never thought that she would be carrying such a responsibility just months after she and Sehun got married but she was still happy.

“Sumin-ah, is everything okay?” She heard Seul ask from the door.

“Yes, mom,” Sumin responded quickly. “I’ll be out in a second.”

Sumin washed the pregnancy tests before heading out to the living room where her mother was anxiously waiting for her. “Well…?”

She held out two pregnancy tests to her mother who ended up squealing like a kid on Christmas Day.

“I can’t believe it,” Seul sniffled. “I’m going to be a grandmother!”

“Let’s not get too excited, Mom,” Sumin chuckled. “It’s better we confirm with the doctors then I’ll tell Sehun about it.”

Seul was satisfied with her daughter’s answer before they proceeded to eat Sumin’s favorite bulgogi for lunch. Afterwards, she accompanied Sumin to Shinhwa General Hospital to book an appointment with a gynecologist.

“Su?” Taehyung raised an eyebrow as he passed by the waiting room. “What are you doing here? Isn’t it your day off today?”

“I’m not here to work, Tae,” She told her friend. “I’m here as a patient.”

“Oh, is that why Sehun made you stay at home?” Taehyung nodded. “Does he know you’re here? Don’t worry, I’ll call-”

“No!” Sumin cut him off. “Sehun shouldn’t know I’m here. I want to surprise him.”

“Hmm,” Taehyung looked at her strangely before nodding. “Alright. I’ll be in my office if you need me.”

Sumin thanked her friend as Taehyung waved at her and bowed at her mother. Sumin and Seul anxiously sat at the waiting room before getting called out and heading to the office of their resident gynecologist. The doctor recognized Sumin, seeing as she is Sehun’s wife and their relationship was pretty much a hot topic for everyone.

“Good afternoon,” The woman smiled. “I’m Doctor Park Sooyoung and how may I help you?”

“Dr. Park,” Sumin answered. “I took two pregnancy tests today and they were both positive… I just wanted to confirm, before I tell my husband.”

Sooyoung’s eyes widened and immediately she grabbed a cup from one of her drawers and gave her some instructions. Sumin did as told and soon, her urine was sent into an analysis and she and her mother anxiously awaited what they hoped to be good news.

And thankfully, it was.

“Congratulations, Dr. Han,” Sooyoug smiled, looking at the file in her hand. “You are five weeks pregnant!”

“Five weeks?” Sumin gasped. “You mean to say..”

“Five weeks since you and Dr. Oh Sehun have consummated,” Sooyoung winked. “But I must say, congratulations to you and Dr. Oh! A baby is truly a blessing and I’m sure the baby will grow up smart and in a great environment with you and Sehun as parents.”

Sumin teared up, not sure if it was the hormones or because it was real. It was really real. She was officially carrying Sehun’s baby, one they made out of love and care. One that will grow up happy and healthy and filled with so much love.

They thanked Dr. Park before heading out of her office. Seul went to fill in some hospital papers from their appointment while Sumin told her that she was going to drop by Sehun’s office to give him a surprise visit… and maybe even tell him the good news. She was walking headed to the 7th floor where the Surgery Department was at and the moment she arrived, she caught a glimpse of an exhausted Sehun who was still dressed in his scrubs and heading back to his office. Sumin smiled and held her stomach.

That's your Daddy, little one, Sumin thought. He's working so hard and I can't wait to tell him about you.

She walked towards her husband’s office, greeting some of her fellow coworkers whom she ran into before knocking on Sehun’s door. She heard a soft ‘come in’ and she opened the door. Sehun was leaning against his chair, eyes closed but when he saw his wife enter, he immediately stood up and met her halfway.

“Babe,” Sehun looked at her in a mixture of happiness and disbelief. “What are you doing here? Didn’t I tell you to stay at home?”

“I missed you,” Sumin tiptoed and wrapped her arms around his neck. “And don’t worry… I didn’t go alone. Mom’s here with me.”

“But why would Mother be here?” Sehun looked at his wife worriedly. “Is everything okay? Is she sick? Are you sick?”

“Everything’s fine,” Sumin let out a tiny chuckle, much to Sehun’s relief.

“Then why are you here?” Sehun asked.

“Hmm,” Sumin thought for a moment, not wanting to give him the answer just yet. “How long until you finish work? Let’s have dinner together.. You, me and my mom.”

“Well,” Sehun thought for a moment. “I just finished a 4-hour surgery and I don’t really have anything to do afterwards, so… sure. Just let me go change.”

Sumin nodded and sat on the chair across Sehun’s desk as her husband headed to the locker area to change out of his scrubs. He returned 15 minutes later dressed in a white dress shirt, slacks and loafers. Sehun grabbed his bag and wrapped his arm around Sumin before they exited his office and met her mother halfway.

“Mother, it’s good to see you,” Sehun bowed to his mother-in-law.

“Hello, Sehun,” Seul smiled. “It’s good to see you too. Would it be alright if I stay over for dinner? I brought some sides!”

“Of course, Mother,” Sehun nodded. “You’re always welcome in our home, and it will make Sumin really happy.”

Sumin smiled and nuzzled her nose against her husband’s neck. After a few more minutes of light conversation, they all headed inside Sehun’s car, with Sumin eager to tell her husband of the good news later on.

“Babe, that’s a lot of food,” Sehun raised an eyebrow as he watched Sumin grab her 3rd serving of chicken curry.

“I can’t help it,” Sumin whined, scooping another spoonful into . “It’s soo good and I’m sooo hungry!”

Seul laughed at her daughter and shook her head. “You just love my cooking. You always eat a lot when you come over.”

Sehun knew Seul was right but at the back of his mind, he could not help but notice other strange behaviors Sumin had been showing in the past few weeks. She often ate more than she could, she vomited at the wee hours of the day, and Sehun noticed that she often experienced sickness and headaches. No doubt he was puzzling the symptoms altogether and reaching to one conclusion, but he did not want to scare her. He did not want to pressure Sumin at all. 

He could only let out a small smile and nod as Seul changed the topic and asked when would be the next time they would visit Sehun’s parents and Sehun did his best to try and pay attention, and engage in a conversation with his wife and mother-in-low.

Though he could not help but let his eyes trail at Sumin’s hand that was constantly and gently rubbing her stomach.

It was almost 3 in the morning when Sehun felt shuffling in the bed. He groaned a little bit and opened his eyes only to see Sumin putting on a baby pink sweater and sweatpants and grabbing her jacket.

“Darling,” Sehun sat up and stretched his arms, before giving his wife a questioning look. “What are you doing up? At 2:27 in the morning?!”

Sumin gave Sehun a sheepish smile and rubbed the back of her head, “I want to eat some cookie dough ice cream but we have none in the fridge, so I’m going to the convenience store across.”

“Can’t it wait till tomorrow?” Sehun asked. “Come here and let’s go back to bed.”

“Oppa,” Sumin whined. “I really, really want ice cream now.”

“But-”

Sehun did not even finish speaking as he looked at his wife. She looked like she was on the verge of tears and would throw a full blown tantrum if he didn’t let her get ice cream. She was way more emotional than usual and not wanting to upset her since she had been feeling ill lately, he sighed and stood up.

“I’ll go with you,” Sehun said as he grabbed a sweater from the closet and put it over his sculpted body.

They both headed to the convenience store across their apartment and Sumin giddily rushed to the frozen section like a child waiting to open her presents on Christmas Day. Sehun laughed  and grabbed a warm sausage for himself. After paying, he followed his wife to a nearby table and sat there. He smiled and watched her excitedly open a small tub of cookie dough heaven and watched her take spoonful after spoonful.

“Whoa, whoa, slow down, love,” Sehun grabbed a tissue and wiped the corners of Sumin’s lips. “The ice cream won’t go away.”

“Heh,” Sumin chuckled. “Sorry, I’m just really craving for ice cream right now.”

“I can see that,” Sehun said. “In fact, you’re eating way more than you normally do lately… is there anything you want to tell me?”

Sumin flinched, realizing what Sehun was trying to foreshadow. Was she that obvious or had he noticed the symptoms far ahead than she did? She wanted to do something to surprise him like make a cake about her pregnancy but it was too late. Realizing that there was no more escape, she sighed and set the tub down and looked at her husband.

“Sehun,” She looked at him. “There’s something I need to tell you..”

Sehun raised an eyebrow but nodded for her to continue. Sumin took a deep breath and grabbed one of his hands and placed it against her stomach. She gave her husband a small smile.

“I’m pregnant.”

He was silent and Sumin was nervous. Did he not want a child, or was it too soon for them to have a baby? Regardless, Sehun’s lack of reaction made her nervous but right when she was about to speak again, Sehun stood up and held both of Sumin’s hands.

“You’re pregnant,” Sehun repeated, a smile slowly forming on his face. “You’re pregnant… you’re pregnant!”

“Yes, Sehun,” His wife repeated. “I’m carrying your baby, our baby.”

He had a hunch on the inside but hearing it from his wife, he couldn’t help but wrap his arms around her and spun her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter