Chapter 1: The Awful Number that is Number 70

Introducing Lady Cutthroat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

She knew she was being followed. 

It didn’t take much to figure it out – the light footsteps that tried to match along with hers and stopped whenever she would in an attempt to hide its presence. Despite the individual trying hard, it was noticeable.

Maybe if she walked slightly quicker – 

A slight touch on her shoulder causes the young girl to reach for the hand without hesitation and twist it, successfully sending the culprit groaning in pain. With a swift kick to the back of his knee, it brings him down to kneel in front of her.

Staring down at the man silently, irritation washes over her. “Were you following me?” She muttered lowly, slowly tightening her grip on his hand. Bending it back as far as she could without actually breaking it.

“Let go, let go –” He managed to squeeze out. His free hand tries to get her hold to release but the more pressure she applies, the more he finds himself unable to move in fear of any more following pain.

“Don’t want to.” She merely answers.

***

“Here.”

Haru’s push messily sends the man into the seat before the detective sitting at the desk. The young man in casual clothing stares back at her and turns his attention on the slightly beaten up individual.

The detective questionably motioned towards the man in front of him, awaiting an explanation – 

“The alleyway mugger?” Surely that name should get this moving along.

“The alleyway mugger.” The officer repeats in more of a statement.

The young girl bites down while trying to keep her voice calm. “Isn’t that what I just said?” The words slithered through clenched teeth.

Watching the detective’s behavior, Haru wonders if he doubts her. He reaches for a slip of paper that sat neatly on top of a stack from the side. “We’re going to have to file a report, along with your statement – can you start at the beginning? About what happened tonight?”

Telling herself to go along with it, she takes a quick breath. “I was walking home when he attacked me in the alleyway –

“I didn’t attack you, you attacked me.”

“Don’t interrupt me.” She silenced the criminal still seated in the chair before finishing her explanation. “The same alleyway where all the other incidents were happening.” Did her words clear everything up?

The detective nods his head. “So, you know about the attacks but you still went home in that direction…during this time of the night?”

Eyeing his ID card clipped onto his jacket, Haru responds. “Detective Youngjae, why does that matter?” The criminal is sitting here right in front of him. Though not wrapped with a bow, it was almost like a God-given present. “It’s a quick route to my home.”

Scratching a few notes onto the piece of paper – “We’re going to need you to testify later on if this goes to court. Can you leave your information?”

Receiving the notepad and pen from him, the young girl wrote the information down. “My name is Lee Haru and here is everything you need.”

“Thank you. Would you like someone to take you home?”

Well, that was taken care of easily.

“No, I can walk home myself.” While she was turning away, the criminal mumbles underneath his breath and the comment doesn’t go unheard. Which was unfortunate for him.

“Crazy .”

Freezing in her steps, Haru did everything in her power to remain calm. 

Just ignore it. They’re only words.

She clenches her hands into fists at her sides but suddenly, every thought that told her to keep going towards the exit, flies out the window.

Spinning around and with the officer staring at her curiously, she places her hand behind the criminal’s head and with a quick snap of her wrist, she slams his face down against the metal desk. “That attitude of yours really bothers me.”

“Detective!” The man struggled with his cheek still pressed down upon the surface. “I want to file a police report against her!”

Now, instead of turning in a criminal like she had originally intended, at this rate, she may just leave a criminal as well.

Seated beside one another, the two crossed their arms upon their chests. Neither happy with how tonight has turned out.

“Ms. Lee Haru, you do understand assault and battery is a serious crime, don’t you?”

“Did you not hear his comment?” She questioned back – it was as if he was asking for it. If he would have just stayed silent at least until she was out of earshot, that wouldn’t have happened, would it?

“Ms. Lee Haru?” Detective Youngjae started once more.

“Yes, I understand.” She answered while fighting back the urge to send a glare in the criminal’s direction.

“Well then, this certainly got complicated.” The officer commented while writing down the last bit on the form.

***

Dressed neatly in her high school uniform – which was only done in order to draw some sympathy from the judge – Ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter