Surprising confession

Heartbroken
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ji Hyun pov:

 

My 26th birthday is just four days away and Seung Hyun has been acting very weird lately. My mother has been asking me if I wanted to do something special and I kept telling her no. I wanted to just stay at home and maybe have a nice dinner with Seung Hyun but apparently, he had some important meetings. 

 

I wanted to tell him it was my birthday but I guess the person he's gonna meet is so important. So I decided against it. He doesn't know it anyway. I didn't celebrate my birthday in the past two years so it wasn't that big deal. Right? 

 

You may be wondering why, well, last year I was mourning and melancholic about my ex-boyfriend and what he and my supposed to be best friend did to me. And the year before it, he forgot about my birthday so I spent the first half of the day in the gym and the other part walking by Han River so I won't go home and cry myself till I fell asleep. 

 

Of course, Chaerin and my family didn't fail to surprise may in both these times but I just wanted someone to make my only special day in the year even more special. I won't lie and say that I didn't feel disappointed when Seung Hyun told me he would be busy because I did. But what can I do? I guess I would just watch a movie alone or I would go and buy a new dress for myself this year. I also have to work so I won't be feeling lonely. 

 

 

 

It was Wednesday of the same week when Jiyong and Chaerin came to me in the office and dragged me out to have a dinner with them. I was thankful actually because lately, Seung Hyun has been working for extra hours so I had to eat dinner alone most of the time. I had a feeling that he was hiding something from me. 

 

'' What do you mean he's hiding something? '' Chaerin asked after I told them how I felt 

'' I don't, it's just that his behavior is a little odd  '' I tried to explain as I took another sip from my wine 

'' Define odd '' It was Jiyong who asked 

'' He wakes up so early and leaves before he would even have breakfast. He used to take me to work but now the driver does that. And at night he would always come late and if I ask where he was he would say that he had more work or he would do extra hours '' I told them and they both looked at each other inexplicably

'' Maybe he just have a lot of work, you know how hard it can be '' Jiyong reasoned 

'' But that's not all, right? '' Chaerin eyed me as if telling me the whole thing. How did I even thought that I can hide something from her? she's my best friend! 

I sighed and leaned back on my chair '' Two days ago I heard him talking on the phone '' and they both nodded their heads and mentioned me with their eyes and hands to continue '' And I swear that he was talking with a woman '' 

'' A woman? '' Chae asked back and I nodded my head

'' They have been talking about something and he was telling her that he was meeting her this weekend and when I walked in he quickly hung up. Suspicious right? He would be working on my birthday but in the weekend he was all cheery to spend it with another woman '' I spoke rather angrily 

 

My both friends looked at each other for the nth time that night and they both laughed. 

'' Yah! What's so funny about this? '' 

'' You're jealous '' said Chaerin

'' And it's so funny '' continued Jiyong 

'' It's my fault for telling you in the first place '' I replied rolling my eyes '' He was the one who asked for another chance and wanted us to be closer to each other and all that crap but I guess he found me so boring that he regretted it so quickly. I should have known that '' 

'' Wah! Calm down Mrs.Drama Queen '' Chaerin suggested while eating another piece of her sashimi 

'' Maybe he has an explanation so don't get to conclusion like that '' said Jiyong 

 

I just shrugged and continued eating the delicious Japanese food in front of me. Just minutes later, Dara joined us. I put my face in my palms and looked at the happy couple in front of me who were so happy eating together as if it was the best thing in the world. I couldn't help but let out a sigh. 

'' What's wrong now? '' Chaerin snapped me out of my daze 

'' Jealous '' I answered pointing at Jiyong and his wife 

'' You too have a husband and you told me that you two started kissing so don't make it sound so bad  '' she said and hit her arm 

'' You two what? '' Jiyong asked excitedly obviously he heard what Chaerin said 

'' You kissed? '' Dara questioned while giggling like a little high school girl 

'' Thanks, Lee Chaerin '' I glared at Chaerin and she just shrugged

'' What? It's normal for couples to do that you know, they even do more or how do you think kids are made? '' she added as if it was the most casual and normal topic ever.

 

I hit her arm harder this time making her wince while the other too kept giggling.

'' That's normal Ji Hyun '' Dara suddenly said

'' Also it's a great progress you know '' spoke Jiyong confirming what his wife has said 

'' Yes he would kiss me and then he wouldn't even have dinner with me '' I answered rolling my eyes and taking another sip from my wine. 

 

The other three people with me were watching me either smiling or chuckling. I guess I am that funny, huh?  I sighed once more and then proceeded to take my bag and my phone to leave. 

'' Leaving? '' Chaerin asked while she was still eating 

I hummed in return '' You didn't finish eating yet '' Dara stated 

'' I am not hungry anymore and I am feeling tired so it's best to leave and go to rest. Good night '' I bid goodbye and sent an air kiss to my best friend and made my way out. 

 

 

__________________

'' I feel sorry for her '' Dara confessed 

'' Why? '' Jiyong asked her

'' She feels like he doesn't think about her and all, didn't you see her? '' 

'' It's better because that way she'll love the surprise even more '' Chaerin interrupted 

'' Yes D, if she felt disappointed at first she'll love the surprise even more '' Jiyong added 

'' I guess you're right, did he bought the present yet? '' Dara asked

'' Umm, he received it today '' 

Chaerin smiled and then said '' She's gonna love it, I am sure '' and the couple also nodded with a genuine smile on their faces '' She suffered a lot so it's time for her to finally be happy '' 

 

The three friends continued to eat happily while reviewing one last time what they have to do in two days.

 

___________________

 

 

When I reached home that night, the house was so quiet as usual and Seung Hyun wasn't there. I just sighed for I don't what time that night and sat on the sofa in the living room, thinking about everything and anything. I waited for Seung Hyun for another half hour then I decided it's best to go to sleep because I was feeling tired.  And all the way I kept telling myself to stay positive and not to think about bad things. He's not cheating on you Ji Hyun, don't be like this... 

 

 

 

I don't know how time passed fast and it was finally Friday, September 30th. My birthday. I woke up a little late that day and after doing my morning routine, I went to wear my clothes. I wore simple black jeans, a white t-shirt, a beige jacket suit and beige stiletto. I put my hair in a bun and wore only a light makeup. 

 

When I finished, I went downstairs but I didn't find anyone. So he left early, like always... I found the breakfast already set on the table but Mrs.Hwang wasn't there. Maybe she went out to buy something... 

 

I sat at the table and stared at the food but I didn't feel like eating. What a great way to start your birthday... I didn't want to eat alone but I ate anyway because I had to survive the day. Just then, my phone started ringing. 

'' Happy birthday, Ji Hyun-ah '' My brother cheered from the other side of the phone

A wide smile appeared on my face right away '' Thank you Oppa '' 

'' You're one year older now '' he teased

'' You don't have to remind me '' I replied laughing 

'' What are your plans for today? '' Ji Hoon asked

'' Nothing, I am going to work now '' 

'' Wah! Dad really meant it when he said no special treatment, did he? '' he told me chuckled 

'' You know him '' 

'' Anyway dongsaeng, happy birthday again. We'll meet soon and I'll give your present '' He replied hurriedly then he hung up. He's also in hurry but at least he's better than other people... 

 

As I continued eating, my parents also called and wished me a happy birthday. Even my in-laws and Hye Yoon called me. Great, only my husband didn't know about my birthday... 

After I finished, I took my bag and left. At least I can distract myself... When I reached the company, I got totally surprised 

'' Happy birthday! '' my team members cheered 

'' Oh my god, thank you guys '' I was really surprised cause I never thought they would know about my birthday '' How did you know? '' 

'' We know everything about you '' Inna winked 

'' Since it's your birthday, you can have the day off '' Young Bae announced. Oh no! Please no! I have nothing to do if I didn't work... 

'' No, it's really okay '' I said

'' No it's not '' Someone said and when I turned it was Chaerin and Dara 

'' What are you doing here? '' I asked confused

'' We're here to take you to celebrate your birthday, idiot '' Chaerin added chuckling 

'' Come on, go and have fun, Ji Hyun. Work can wait for another day '' Minho said

 

Just then Chaerin and Dara each came to my both sides and dragged me out of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter