1 + 2 = Birds

My shortest story,

The blue sky was shining. I walked down a green path, pavement rocky from overgrown roots. 

It had rained. Not so heavily, but rather like a whisper. A small whimper from fluffy, gray clouds. 

They had trickled down my cheeks. It was a hot day, despite the washing pour. 

And every step was accompanied by lovely music. Once jumpy and some, soft melodies. 

I looked at my phone. 3.45pm. And yet the sun was well tucked under the crying sky. I smiled. 

Then you came, walking out from a hidden alley. Red shirt, stained deep into burgundy by the soft 

spills of rain...

You had springs in your heels. Each stride bigger from the last. 

And you had dancing hands. Not that they waved or hovered. But how they comforted the wall of green,

wet plants by the curb. I saw them stutter under your fingers. Gentlest touch.

Caressing dewed, muted lives with appreciation. With grace. 

Then you paused. Halted on your way. Turned back to look for the yellow, warm sun. 

Surprisingly instead, you caught my eyes. And I shivered under your gaze, cheeks changing colors like twilight. 

But your dark brown brows unclasped. A gentle smile settled on your pale, gracious face. 

Your light freckles rising as white pearls peeked from the gaps of your lips. Like the dancing leaves,

you raised your damp hands...

And waved. 

Casually. Right under this  mellow, shaded skies. 

I smiled back totally disarmed. 

A step closer, then another. But I had backed away.  Afraid of the light you shone in your eyes. 

And I know there would be no words coming to stop me. 

At least not in reality. 

So I shuffled my feet against the pavement. I could feel the friction burning on the soles of my Vans. 

One step. Then two. Just as I foreseen, it was a silent departure. 

From a novel book encounter. Where birds had flown in the wet sky and the puddles had shone with

gentle ripples. 

This was the reality. Not a sweet, sour bedtime story. I thought. 

Then, a black crow landed right in front of me. Putting my march onto hold. 

Well Hi. I said.

Right then, just like in the stories. Those elaborate fictions, a word bounced into the air. 

Hopping into my senses. 

"Wait!" 

My calmed cheeks grew patchy red. 

"Yes."