Art

Irene's Personal Artist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene was never one for art.

 

She just never understood it. She didn’t understand how some people could stand in front of a picture for two hours, staring at the same thing, contemplating its meaning, or how some colorful shapes and lines that look like a kindergartener drew it, could be considered art.

 

Heck, she recalled seeing one painting that was just a blank white canvas with different colored paint blobs splattered on it. Even she could do that!

 

So, yeah, Irene tended to ignore things when it came to art.

 

She just didn’t care.

 

Until one day, Yeri came up to her yelling and dragged her all the way to the art hall at school.

 

“Unnie! You have to come see this!” Yeri urged as she impatiently dragged Irene by the arm the moment the older girl stepped foot in the school. As she was dragged through the hallways, Irene noticed people staring at her, more people than usual.

 

“What is it, Yeri-ah? What’s so important?” Irene asked, as she tried to tug her arm back from the energetic little kid, but it was no use. Yeri had a firm grip on her arm.

 

“Just hurry up! You’ll see later!” Yeri shouted over her shoulder, not bothering to slow down, making Irene bow apologetically to the people Yeri was bumping into in such a hurry.

 

Irene eventually relented, letting the younger girl drag her wherever. It took Irene almost a whole minute to recognize where they were headed.

 

“Why are we headed towards the arts section?” she asked as her eyes roamed the hallway that was covered in various pieces art, courtesy of the students in the arts program.

 

Look, there’s the blank canvas with paint splattered all over it. Tch.

 

How that was art, was beyond her.

 

Besides orientation during freshman year, this was her first time stepping into this section for four years.

 

“They had an art contest recently,” Yeri stated, causing Irene to furrow her eyebrows.

 

“So? What does this have to do with me?” she asked.

 

Irene could literally hear Yeri rolling her eyes as she replied, “Just wait until we get there.”

 

After a few more turns, Yeri pulled Irene towards a large glass display case at the end of the hallway where Irene assumed the winning pieces were on display.

 

There was a huge crowd surrounding the display. They all seemed to be looking at one particular piece and murmuring.

 

Curious, Irene took a step forward, with Yeri right beside her.

 

As she took a closer look, Irene gasped and felt a shiver run down her back.

 

In the middle, under the label, “First Place Winner”, was a huge portrait of her face.

 

“What the hell?” Irene breathed out in shock.

 

Yeri looked over to Irene and nodded. “Yup. That’s what I wanted to show you.”

 

 

 

 

“Wait,” Joy said, putting a hand up to tell a panicked Irene to stop talking. “So, someone drew a portrait of you and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter